Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• 53greenrose
    53greenrose Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011

New to the boards here. I'm having my 2nd surgery tomorrow to clear 1 margin and more suspicious calcs were found on my 11/28 mammo. As for my 1st surgery, I'm making lentil/carrot soup & a choc marbled cheesecake to see me thru post op. Other than that, as a single woman, I'm pretty low maintenance.

• jenni8675309
    jenni8675309 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2011

I didn't scroll through all the posts to see if anyone already suggested this, but something I wish I would have had handy is milk of Magnesium...I was way backed up and was trying stool softeners, drinking tons of water, tea, and fiber..but no action. I sent my hubby out this morning then I had one dose of the milk of magnesium and it worked...I feel so much better now. This is such a great list and it helped me prepare for my bmx.

• goldlining
    goldlining Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2011

Bump for Dec 2011 Mastectomy sisters

• laurie2005
    laurie2005 Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011

Finally made it through reading all the posts! Thank you all for all the great suggestions. Going in on the 8th for a BMX with DIEP reconstruction. I am now concentrating on what I need during and after the surgery, got all my Christmas stuff done! Thanks again for all the help!

• BJB1
    BJB1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011

I'm almost finished with my recon.  I had my surgery at Brigham and Women's in Boston.  They give each of their patients a cami (sleeveless and very comfortable to wear before getting permisiion to wear a bra, velcro front)  and a Jacki (which has pockets for the drains, is very large, warm, and comfy).

I have 2 sets I would be happy to mail out to 2 women who either can't afford hospital clothes or are going to a hospital that did not offer them special garments.

Just PM me with your address and I'll mail them out by Wednesday.

Best of luck to you all.

BJ

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2011

Great Idea BJB1-

I also have a Jacki that I no longer need. It is black and size XL. Long sleeves with pockets for the drains. PM me if anyone would like me to mail it out to them.

• mahometmom62
    mahometmom62 Member Posts: 63
    edited December 2011

NEW on this thread but wanted to share.... I have 4 38C Ameona Mastectomy Bras new with tags 2 black 2 beige 30.00 a piece.... wire free if interested PM me shipping 5.00 

• SafetyBoater1
    SafetyBoater1 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011

To Lewing,

I had a lumpectomy just over two weeks ago.  I'm an A cup.   For the first week and a half, I was most comfortable wearing zip-up-the-front big elastic sports bras that I found at Wal-Mart.   It was much more comfortable to have the breast supported than to go without, both for sleeping and for being up and about.   The challenge was to find a front-fastening non-underwire bra!  I think it would be pretty hard to put on a regular sports bra over your head for at least a week. 

• vamom
    vamom Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

i've got a few things to add to the list:  a heating pad- my back was so sore. & a butt donut- i had to sleep on my back, propped up on a mountain of pillows & this helped. i also found front hook sports bras @ walmart.

• jessicaholly
    jessicaholly Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

Hi all,

Have you heard of JR Fashion? It's a new mastectomy clothes line that's ideal for just after the op, during treatment and also for casual wear after. Main difference from anything else on the market is that you don't need to wear a bra so there's not pressure on the chest wall.. have a look http://www.mastectomy-clothes.com/  what do you think?

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited January 2012

Hi, great suggestions, I had a BMX on Dec 8, 2011 and just went back to work. I havent read all the posts, but in case no one mentions them, scrubs are great.  Get soft ones that snap in the front, they have jackets to go over if you need more than a short sleeve, they have many colors, and they are washable and affordable.   I also used a cami with the breast forms that are soft, not so much for looks as for protection in case my cats found me napping.  And I also didn't see people reminded that bending down HURTS.  Get a grabber, and get the one that does NOT fold- it will pick things up better.  Best of luck to anyone getting surgery soon.  For me, it's on to chemo. *sigh*

• Jemarad
    Jemarad Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012

I'm new on the forum and so grateful to have found it.  I started reading posts from '08 but decided to jump to the end so I could get a better sense of who is currently in the throes. I am scheduled for BMX on Tuesday, 1/24 at Faulkner Hospital in MA. (My doctors are affiliated with Dana Farber/Brigham and Women and I'd love to read posts from anyone who has been treated there).  I'll have SN checked and TE to allow for options of implants or a TRAM at a later date.  Right now, I'm having some anxiety about being prepared for the hospital and home although the list of suggestions helps a lot.  It helps to read about how others have handled things and makes the whole experience less overwhelming.  I'm trying to take it one step at a time although it's difficult not to project into the future and think about possible scenarios.  I appreciate all you brave women sharing your experiences. 

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited February 2012

Yep Noni, I had put the "Always" sanitary in my bra after the biopsy and then switched to the panty liner when the area healed a little. i cant believe my PS even told me to go to Walmart and just get some sports bras to wear for later. She says they will send me home all bandaged. No word on how long that will last. Guess she is really busy. I never see her but guess it will change after surgery. Monday is the big day and I have been crying nonstop all day and I am afraid by Monday I will be sick and have a sinus headache. They never gave me any pills for my nerves. I am not allowed to take anything,no pills,no vitamins,no herbs,no garlic or ginger and here I sit with a cupboard full of herbal tea. i had to buy regular tea. I got bit by something,I think a spider. It looks like someone heated up a beer bottle cap in a campfire and branded my leg with it! it doesnt hurt but sure is red and I am afraid that if the dr finds out they will cancel the surg and I dont think my nerves can take it. I need it to be over with before I change my mind. Suppose to get bmx with TE. The dr agreed that was best for me even I made the org decision myself after research and talking with my son thru skype,he is in Paris in pre-med at the P&M Curie University. I like my small ones,never wanted implants or tatoos but since the universe is forcing me...how long til I can go on a zipline after surg?

• goldlining
    edited February 2012
    Layla2525 You are crazy to go on a zipline ever ;^) but I specifically asked about G forces and roller coasters and was told I was okay at 6 weeks post-DIEP. After lumpectomy, I was riding Manta at SeaWorld at 4 or 5 weeks hanging there through screaming speeds and inversions, supported by my chest. Mastectomy without recon is actually the simplest, as there is nothing to jiggle, but may depend on how the harness sits relative to the incision scars. I didn't try anything too dynamic that soon after mastectomy, just easy running starting at 5 weeks.
  • ppeople
    ppeople Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2012

I just read all your wonderful suggestions, thank you all!  This is helping me feel prepared (like any one could really be prepared for this!)

What about "surgical bras"?  Are they helpful to hold drains and support incisions?

• goldlining
    edited March 2012

None of my surgeons required a surgical bra for support except after lumpectomy he suggested a sports bra to go home. For mastectomy, a nurse navigator recommended the camisole with drain-bulb pouches but what I found most comfy was a cardigan (I found a cheap cashmere one at a place similar to Marshalls). I clipped the drains to the waistband of sweat/yoga/PJ pants and the sweater was loose enough to cover the bulbs, soft on my skin, and nice-looking enough to actually go out of the house (hiding the bulbs in the small of my back).

If the surgeon recommends a particular garment, that's the way to go. Likewise if a surgeon prohibits a particular type of garment. Otherwise, choose what makes you comfortable.

• ppeople
    ppeople Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2012

Thanks, Gold, I like cardigan idea.  I wonder if bulbs can become temporary foobs if pinned to front of sweater!  This seems so surreal and bizarre to me.

• DoulaMom
    DoulaMom Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012

Just picked up a few pairs of panel style maternity jeans. Thought they would be good for when I am sick of Jammie pants and sweats after my upcoming (April 23rh) BMX W/DIEP. I'll let you know how they work out!

• vickilind61
    vickilind61 Member Posts: 143
    edited April 2012

Thank you all for great suggestions.  I had a lumpectomy on the 9th of April and need to go back for a mastectomy on the right side.  Will schedule it when I see my breast surgeon tomorrow.  I will start planning my packing/to-do list this weekend. 

• Still_Snarky
    Still_Snarky Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2012

This list has been incredibly helpful - I've been able to gather things slowly as I come across them! Went looking for a sweatshirt with inside pockets (perfect for drains!) that must have been discontinued but I did find a great alternative at Target.

http://www.target.com/p/C9-by-Champion-Womens-Long-Sleeve-Athletic-Jacket-Assorted-Colors/-/A-13778873

• prm
    prm Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2012

I uhave been using a front zip up sports bra from JC Penney also.  Mine, however was $17 or if you buy two, they were $13 each.  They are available in different band widths and cup sizes and have been comfortable.

In addition, someone on this site recommended using a maxi pad as additional bandaging to help with the wound drainage right after surgery.  I found the maxi pad a wonderful thing.  Not only did it prevent the drainage from soaking  through the bandage onto my bra and clothes, it GREATLY increased my comfort level.  I had a catheter in preparation for the mammosite radiation and the pad helped "cushion" the catheter area and pretty much eliminated the discomfort that I was having .

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited May 2012

RE:  " Sports bras".

I am a B cup and did not want to spend a lot of extra $ on bras after my Lx.  I took 2 of my comfier bras that had no lace etc ..and simply ripped the underwire out.  Works like a charm.  I simply put them on by hooking in front/ cups in the back and then ' twirl' them around.

I am with you on those darn childprooof caps- they kill the pecs!

One other thing I might add is a small snack/saltines for the ride home if you live far.  I also put thick plastic bags in car in case of vomit, but I never had any thanks to the motion sickness patch.

Good luck to all.

• Melrosemelrose
    Melrosemelrose Member Posts: 607
    edited May 2012
    IF YOU KNOW YOU GET NAUSEA FROM ANESTHESIA- Ask for an anti-nausea patch (like to the ones for motion sickness/ sea sickness) from the anesthiologist/pre-op nurses prior to going into surgery.    It may help.
  • rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited May 2012

Since I am having surgery in June, I have ordered a hair dryer stand (Amazon.com)  since I doubt I'll be able to hold my hairdryer above my head for a time.  I also found an open top makeup bag (like a cloth basket) with open outside pockets all the way around it and some very large spring clips (both items from Walmart) to clip it to the hospital bed to keep items within reach.  For the hospital I am taking a large shawl for a coverup since the IV may prohibit me from pulling on and off a sleeve.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

I had three months to plan for my surgery before my BMX with TEs in December.

I read all the posts here, and did extensive research on the Internet so I would be fully prepared when the time came!

My overnight bag was packed to the brim.....and I never even opened it.

I checked in to the hospital at 9 a.m., went to Radiology for my injection, then back to Pre-Op. Because of delays, I was wheeled into the OR at 3 p.m. That put me back in my room around 8 p.m. (I think) and I finally woke up chatty at 1 a.m.

My sweet PS had put in a catheter, so there was no need to get up and go to the bathroom.

I had a private room, and didn't want DH to stay with me because he snores like a chain saw. He did, though, get to my room before I did, and he wiped down every single surface I might touch with Lysol wipes, just so I didn't pick up any random germs. He said there was some gunk on the bedside table.

I had no bandages or adhesives, nor did I have a surgical bra. I had dissolving sutures, Xeriform strips over my incisions, hugely padded gauze dressings, and a giant Ace bandage wrapped around me to hold everything in place.

My drains were attached to the Ace bandage with diaper pins, and since that worked so well, I never used the "Pink Pockets" I had ordered. I kept using the diaper pins until the drains were removed. I never once used the mastectomy camis I had bought.

I was discharged around noon the second day. I briefly thought about spending another night, only because I was still in pain. (That was my fault. I was not using the bedside PCA pump which contained morphine. Because of a previous bad reaction, I didn't press the button enough, and the pain got ahead of me.) But the nurse on duty set me straight: she said the hospital was no place to recuperate; that she wanted me to be home in my own bed, and didn't want me to pick up any infections. It worked. I checked out.

We had set up a special area for me in the master bedroom. Because our mattress is a Tempurpedic, I knew I wouldn't have the arm strength to navigate my way out. So I rented a fully-electric hospital bed - SMARTEST thing I did!

I am not a back sleeper, but I could raise the back of the bed to just the right angle, and raise up the mattress under my knees to make it more comfortable. We put on a twin sized memory-foam topper, too. That was nice. I also had an over-the-bed table, and DH rigged up my reading lamp on the bookshelf to a remote control. That gave me SO much independence!

We set up the baby monitor we used for our grandkids, and DH carried it with him when he was working out in the yard or garage.

I got some inexpensive satin jammies at Sears. They were wonderful for sliding in and out of bed.

I had a Pain Station and a Drain Station (with all the supplies) set up in the bathroom. DH was responsible for logging in my pain meds to avoid a possible overdose. He was also my Drain Man - he's a former EMT/Medic, so it made him feel helpful to do it. He wore gloves, and everything was sanitized and disinfected, since the BS told us that the drains were direct lines for infection to get into the body.

I really was OCD about germs. No one came in the bedroom except DH. (I had been really sick prior to my surgery.)

Once the bandages came off, I wore my jammies or gowns or sports bras only once before they went into the laundry.

In the shower, I used a shower chair that had belonged to my mom, but I've also heard that using a cheap resin patio chair works too.

Once I used a towel, into the laundry it went.

No one touched my incisions except for the doc.

I really surprised both of us. We'd expected me to be helpless for a while after surgery, and that sure wasn't the case. In fact, I was able to start wearing pull-over tops not long after my fills started, so I really didn't need all the button-front tops I got.

I guess it was better to be prepared than not, but we were pleasantly surprised at my rapid recovery.

Sending out good wishes for all the newbies!!!!

• Buddhahead
    Buddhahead Member Posts: 19
    edited May 2012

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm adding as I make my list.

I looked at the zip front bras from Penny's and they look great, but what size should I order? I'm a 36 D now, but getting a full bi-lateral Mx with TE. Will I be a B cup with a bit of saline in there or is that a question for my PS? Kind of wanted to order them soon since my surgery is slated for 5/29/12 and I don't seem him until 5/24. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

If it's the same zip front sports bra I'm thinking of (from JCPenney) I ordered a size larger than my original 38DDDs.

I'm glad I did - I was filled to 180 ccs in the OR, but I had SUCH swelling after surgery! My chest was 39" at one point and I looked 8 months pregnant.

The cups themselves really didn't matter - they accommodated flat, tiny bumps, or fully filled.

• ahutton
    ahutton Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2012

This is a great list. Also check out http://www.baldisbetterwithearrings.com for other tips and hints.

• nwest125
    nwest125 Member Posts: 69
    edited June 2012

I have 2 size  large cammies with drain pockets from tlc

PM me if interested I loved them but will never use them again :) 

Nancy

I found a home for them thanks ladies

• mclark55
    mclark55 Member Posts: 92
    edited May 2012

What a bunch of great suggestions here!  Glad I found this page!  I will have to include some of them on my blog for sure.  Just wrote a post about the best ways to prepare for surgery: http://marnieclark.com/the-best-ways-to-prepare-for-your-breast-cancer-surgery/ - hope it helps someone.  xoxox