Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• J-Bug
    J-Bug Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2012

Nanagoz: I have not had the first problem that you are describing, but the second one is all too familiar. I had a very difficult time wearing a bra. Fortunately, the contract work that I was doing had ended at the time, so I had some time to heal. It does get better!

• Nanagoz
    Nanagoz Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012

Thank you for the response, J-bug.  I read that so many have no problems after the mastectomy or heal so quickly.  I guess I wondered if there is something wrong with mine.  Nice to know that even after 6 weeks, it will still get better.  I do worry about the mini though.  I have read here that that happens when they do skin saving surgery but my surgeon knew I did not plan that.  I don't see her again till 9/24.  I guess I'll watch it until then.  Thanks again and good luck to all.

• cailindearg
    cailindearg Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2012

Teri,

I didnt't wear a bra after my BMX as I had basically nothing to put into one, now I'm 6 weeks post op and do have some foobs but my BS says that a bra isn't necessary.

I could wipe myself after surgery thankfully, someone had mentioned that they couldn't. I posted this question before my surgery and think it would be an exception rather than a rule....

I also have a recliner on my couch but did just use my bed with allot of pillows, I couldn't get out of bed on my own for the 1st week without help from my hubby, thankfully after a week I could get out of bed on my own.

• rhymeblue
    rhymeblue Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012

ok, anyone here ever been to burning man? there's a big bike ride called 'critical tits'. thousands of women ride together, breast-proud, it was a great experience last year when i hadn't been diagnosed. now i look like a battlefield - all lumpy and nipple-less and my scars are big and uneven and my expanders look like bizarre half-bowls stuck to my chest. i want to ride, but i'm getting freaked out, can i really show these things? my husband suggested i ride for all the women who can't be there - a much more generous world view. but i wonder if other people can really handle the reality of what i would reveal? burning man is a community of supporters, so it will probably be wonderful if i can do it. a week from saturday. wish me courage and joy!!!

• cailindearg
    edited August 2012

rhymeblue, Yes I'm a Burner !! Going on Wed 29th, wish we were going sooner but have 4 kids and have to get them sorted for back to school....good for you going for 'critical tits' ride, wish I could be so brave !! I had a bmx on 7/3 and I'm delighted to have boobs for BM even if they look like half grapfruits stuck on my chest..there is another lady on here who is a burner Greenmonkey but she isn't sure if she'll make it this year...I wish you courage and joy and a fab burn!!

Don't forget the sunscreenSmile

• hap_k
    hap_k Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2012

I've been reading this thread and taking notes. My BMX & Immediate Reconstruction (TEs to be later be exchanged for Saline Implants) will be Aug 31st, 2012. I am so grateful for all the information about what I may need at the hospital and after.

QUESTION: May have been answered elsewhere. If I missed it, apologies. However, I  really need to know am I likely to need any kind of bra immediately post surgery? I am now 34 D, 5'6" 140 lbs. I'm a pear, not an apple, so little weight on top. Will be much less weight on top with both breasts gone & mostly empty TEs in their place. So will there be enough on top to put in a bra? And isn't it likley to be simply wrapped in a big bandage as some have said?

Didn't want to run out and buy bras I don't need that proably won't fit because I don't know what will be there for them to fit. Confused. 

Oh yes, I will be having Sentinel Node Biopsy. So won't know until I wake up how much my underarms will be involved. Doc is hoping that the biopsy is as negative as the MRI & ultasound seemed to indicate. 

Thanks, Hap 

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited August 2012

Hap_k, you might want to ask your PS that question. Different docs have different protocols. Some want some sort of compression bra, some wrap you in an ace bandage, some have surgical dressings, some want a sport bra. My surgery is a week after yours & I'll be asking that question.

Best of luck.

Leah

• hap_k
    edited August 2012

Thanks, Leah

Yes, I wil try, but I am not seeing him until we travel there the day before the surgery. And his nurse was vague. 

Maybe I should rephrase the question because there is no way to read the mind of my PS. Your're right. Guess I'm really asking what someone my size would look like immediately after immediate reconstruction with TEs.

Is there any thing to put IN a bra when you are not too big on top anyway and your boobs have removed and replaced by TES which are mostly empty? Will there be any boob there  or will I look like a case of seriously delayed adolescence?

Thanks, Hap

Leah, good luck with your surgery!!! 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

There's a lovely lady on these boards, 2friedeggs, named so because of what she saw when she woke up. I agree with her, that's what I looked like. The first week, I was wrapped in the surgical dressing. After that came off, I was in s camisol given to me by the BS. Soft puffy adjustable foobs included. Very comfortable, and smart, since my TEs were about half filled at surgery. I lost one to infection, and the camisole covered for the missing one for the seven months of my chemo. Just got it replaced, and used it again because I had a drain again. BTW, you could have up to four drains with a BMX. So I guess, what I meant to say is wait with the bra you got time. LOL. Much love

• hap_k
    edited August 2012

Thank You, Moonflwr912!

Well, that helps clarify! One order of fried eggs coming up!

I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. Hope everything is going much more smoothly now! 

Hap 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2012

Hap, Thx! I hope things go well too. I also hope for yours to go smoothly and for you to heal fast. Take your pain pills for at least the first week, don't try to cut them stay ahead of the pain, mine finely got better toward the end of the second week and I could cut back. It was the end if the third week I felt I was getting better. So, sleep as much as needed, use pain pills as needed, and take it easy Much love.

• justegan
    justegan Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2012
    Hi ladies,

My name is Justine, I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with DCIS (which turned out to be IDC) on 7/30/12. I had a BMX with SNB and immediate recon with TEs on 8/8/12. The only reason I decided to stop by your lovely thread was to offer some of my own advice with regards to post-op care etc. I noticed one of the other ladies from the August thread, Omeggo started something there so I thought I would pay it forward by putting something on here as well. I know I only had a week and half from my diagnosis until surgery to prepare for my surgery so it was a stressful time. I am not sure of the length of time some of you will have, however; if it is short...it is nice to have us as a support to figure out what it will be like.

So what do you bring to the hospital? This is the most important question. I overpacked but found that to be helpful as you never know how you will feel and it is best to have things you need just in case.

1. Surgical bra - I know that insurance may or may not pay for this. Some hospitals may also provide this and some may not. I know the hospital I was at did not provide it but my breast surgeon gave me a referral to a medical supplies store allowing my insurance to cover whatever I needed. I ended up getting a surgical bra that was meant for someone with an A/B cup not realizing how much I would be filled during surgery/swelling afterwards. I ended up needing a surgical bra that was for a B/C cup and that fit MUCH more comfortably. I pretty much lived in that from Day 2 after surgery until Day 7 when my drains came out. I was lucky and only had one drain in on each side (but I am also very small so that might have made a difference). What I liked about the surgical bra was that it had fantastic compression (which you will want more than you think if you are doing an MX or BMX) and that it had pockets for my drains so I didn't have to stress about where to put them or pin them somwhere. It made it easy when I had to milk them (which basically means removing the extra fluid and putting it into the little drain bullet).

2. Extra set of clothes - I know a lot of women may not be able to change into their own clothes after surgery. I am not sure about other women but I was not very cold in the hospital. So I ended up wearing just my surgical bra (which was basically a t-shirt on me with yoga pants. I know most women suggest wearing silk pajamas (button-down tops) so it is easier to get in and out of bed. I never had much trouble in that department so I pretty much lived in comfy yoga pants. However, that is up to your own personal preference/comfort. I personally was able to walk around the day after my surgery with a nurse/people holding my arm for balance so it was nice to not wear that stupid hospital johnnie.
    Note, I had my mom/sister there to help me pull my yoga pants up/down when I went to the bathroom after my catheter came out, so you may not be able to do that just note.

3. Toothbrush/toothpaste - I know it sounds gross but the first night out of surgery I couldn't even eat. I honestly did not brush my teeth until I went home (surgery was on Wednesday, went home Friday morning), I was in pain so I completely forgot. I think no one said anything or noticed because those closest to me probably realized the pain I was in....not sure...I don't know how I didn't notice but guess I was so out of it lol. I would still suggest bring it because you never know, I'm sure the average individual needs it.

4. Deodorant - I know I used this haha. Funny that I forgot to brush my teeth but did not forget about deodorant lol.

5. You don't need books/notebooks/etc. - I brought a book with me just in case. I did not use it at all during the hospital. The only useful thing was my cellphone/charger.

Also, piece of advice if you have never been under anesthesia...get nausea medication! I did and I was still severely nauseous the night after my surgery. The next day I woke up fine, but that night was miserable. When I woke up in recovery, movement was basically impossible. The hospital bed was at an angle. Once I was able to get up the next day, I found that sleeping in an almost upright position was more comfortable for my chest. Even when I went home, I slept in an upright position for the whole week I had my drains in. It was easier to get up to use the bathroom and I found it not nearly as painful.

Sending all of you ladies positive thoughts and prayers!

Hope this helps and please feel free to PM me with any questions <333

*if I think of more things, which I'm sure I will...I'll make sure to post on here*

• Krishelle
    Krishelle Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012

I had a lot if time to plan for surgery, so blended a lot of suggestions from here. So here I am after 2 nights, a bit bleary from the " good meds". Besides the obvious, here are a few things I am really glad I brought.

Power bars (had to wait 8 hrs in recovery for my bed)

Old lady string for my reading glasses

EReader as its easy to prop up and turn pages

Package of facial wipes (bed rest until last night with electic compression harnesses on my lower legs. Cycling every 30 sec and fat heated bear hugger lanket all = no sleep)

Home made bran muffins with lots of fibre ( still waiting it go....)Band prune plums

Light shawl for shoulders

Extension cord and charger for my iPhone. So can make lots of alls and even watch YouTube movies etc

Small notepad and paper for questions for surgeons (they always show up when nurses are doing stuff to you

My favorite smallish down pillow from home - great for the post-surgery cough, propping up your arm to hold a book, get just the right angle for your head.

Black sleep mask!

Also noise reducing headphones had I been in a ward - got private by chance

• basketnut3
    basketnut3 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012

Not sure where to post this.  I have two size large surgical camis with drain pockets and two 2xl post surgical bras.  If you are facing MX both are good, or DIEP just the camis.  Just having the drain pockets are great.  My PS asked me if I made them.  I believe the drain pockets are available on ACS's TLC site on their own.  If you are interested in them PM me.

• mclark55
    mclark55 Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2012

Krishelle - thanks for posting that list of things to take into surgery - nice additions!  I'm just about to write an article on my blog about this subject, so if you don't mind, I'll include some of your suggestions.  Sending hugs!

• mclark55
    mclark55 Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2012

Well, I finally got my article written and I thought I'd post a link to it here for anyone needing the info on things to take with you into surgery. 

Many thanks to everyone for the ideas posted on this thread - I think I've got most of them.  If you think of any I've missed, add them here or add them to the comments section on my page where the article is posted:  http://marnieclark.com/tips-for-surgery-useful-items-to-take-with-you/

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2012

bump

• Beth1951
    Beth1951 Member Posts: 21
    edited October 2012

The best sports bra I found was by Enell, check online. I remember Oprah had a show on sports bras years ago and this was her recommendation. After my lumpectomy I ordered one of the bras and I got the "lite" version.

It's quite a contraption and it is worth the money. They are spendy, but a godsend after lumpectomy

• dessert1st
    dessert1st Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2012

For those of you that don't get a surgical cami prior and or are sent home in a surgical bra with the drains pinned to it, here is a tip for keeping the drains off your skin. I could not stand the plastic touching my skin so I covered the drains with the top part of crew socks. it also works well with slightly stretched ankle sport socks. I liked having the drains pinned so they were out of the way at night!

• Beth1951
    edited November 2012

I went to a wonderful woman at Nordstroms prior to my surgery. I left with a Amoena Post-Operative Garment, A drain containment device. Well, my insurance paid 57.00 and I paid out of pocket 3.50. Size LC/D

I have NEVER used it. I took it in and showed it to my PS and she asked me not to wear it.

The benefit of it, it has padding for after surgery.

I am getting reconstruction, so I have no use for this.

If anyone would like it, please let me know. I would be happy to mail it to you.

Beth

PS message me 

• stewbie2
    stewbie2 Member Posts: 29
    edited November 2012

I'm having a BMX with TEs on 12/28. Thank you, all of you, for posting such informative stuff! I do, however, have a few questions. I've seen shower chairs, hospital beds, recliners, mentioned on here. I have a tempurpedic bed. I'm assuming that there's no way in heck i'm going to be able to get in and out of that thing, and i'm also assuming you need to sleep with your chest elevated for a while?? My appt with the plastic surgeon in on 12/19, and i'll ask him questions, then the pre-op consultation with the nurse is after that (more questions!). Thanks!

Steph

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited November 2012

Beth - I had the same and used it for less than a week.  I got 2, and only opened one.

I kept them though.  I am now having DIEP and I'm thinking it might be handy as it has the body corset and you can remove the padding in the bra.

They do remind me of grandma's old girdles!

• Beth1951
    edited November 2012

The SHOWER SHIRT is one thing that I bought and am glad I did. Don't get me wrong, I hate the darned thing, BUT, without it I would have been unable to shower for 6 weeks. Hopefully on Thursday the stitches will come out and I can finally take a long and hot shower.

The shirt is NOT waterproof, but if you are careful not to let the shower flow directly on the back of the shirt, you will be fine. I did and my PS lectured me about not getting my incision wet :-)

I truly have a love/hate relationship with it, but now in hindsight I am super glad I had it.

• Beth1951
    edited November 2012

Oh, another thing if you are going to be staying in a hotel while recovering I would recommend bringing laundry detergent.

We stayed at a Silver Cloud down the block from the hospital. They gave discounts to people receiving treatment at Swedish. Also, there was a washer and dryer on our floor and it was free. No need to bring a bag of quarters.

My husband thought I had overpacked stuff when I brought the Tide. Since he was doing the laundry, he admitted to me he was super glad I packed Tide.

• cailindearg
    edited December 2012

Steph,

I had a regular bed at home, my hubby helped me get out of bed maybe the 1st week. I had a recliner on my sofa but felt more comfortable in my bed. I had allot of pillows to keep me elevated for the 1st few weeks, about a month I think. I think it also depends on you're age and general health before surgery.

I am 43, not overweight and was in pretty good health before surgery. Wishing you the best of luck with everything. You can do this!! hugsSmile

• cailindearg
    edited December 2012

Also, for anyone interested, I have a post operative camisole nude color, size M, camisole. Its a step into camisole with pockets for drains and 2 fiberfill foob thingies. I wore this twice only.

Message me if you're interested, I ask you pay shipping costs.

• stewbie2
    stewbie2 Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2012

Thanks, cailindearg! I'm 38, and in pretty good shape (i'm a personal trainer), so the doctor thinks i'll heal well. I'm just ready to get this over with!

• manksy
    manksy Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2012

Hi all. I just made it through the surgery gauntlet a month ago. I used these lists and they were fantastic. I will say that one of the experiences I had was that all clothing felt more prickly than usual. (As the nerves are firing off in weird ways and parts of you feel numb or extra sensitive.) Even flannel felt a little rough these last few weeks. So I highly recommend zip-up fleece (a lot of them have internal and external pockets--which can be a big help). Since I get cold easily (and live in Boston), I wanted something really warm and soft. I really recommend LL Bean's fleece-lined flannel shirt (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65839?feat=osbsr&page=women-s-fleece-lined-flannel-shirt) I wasn't going to win any fashion awards in it, and the sizing is enormous, but I swear it's the world's most comfortable shirt. It's become my go-to shirt when I'm lounging around the house.

And just know, the worst part BY FAR is the anxiety of waiting and preparing before surgery. I had a BMX with immediate implants and had 27 LN removed. I should have been in terrible pain. But in fact, I was very sore, but experienced almost no actual pain (any pain I felt was more about the drains than the surgery). Keep up on your meds--and keep track of them on a piece of paper (I couldn't remember whether I'd taken meds or not even right after I took them--blame it on the percocet!). That way you have a diary that you and your family and friends can refer to to keep you on track. 

Best of luck to all of you! And feel free to DM me if you have particular questions.

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited January 2013

Make sure you speak to your doctor (or doc's nurse/pa) about what you'll be wearing after. I took a lot of this advice and it turned out my doctor doesn't use bras or bindings of any type on the incision sites. Instead, he wanted me to wear very loose clothing. 

• destiny81
    destiny81 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

regarding shopping list....spasms and muscle tension in the back/neck/shoulders are a potential problem I hear. I am going to purchase a small heating pad for my shoulders/back area and possibly an inexpensive cushion vibrator that I can lean my back on. Good luck to you! !