Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Shopping/packing/to-do list for surgery + recovery....

Comments

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2012
    darn it anyways on infections & Doc's that worry about their 'reputation' infuriates me as well as it does all you too I guess.

No the ABX doesnt' seem to be getting it so far. I'm on a good dose. but after 8 days it's still green! damn!

were any of you told the reason that infection is so common with BC surgery is due to when they have to take so much tissue and leave the skin really thin and with little blood supply etc because it's scraped away? (or something to that effect) but add in staph that likes to eat everything.. man o man!

I see the infectious control dr on monday & surgeon on tuesday. I have a sneaking suspision I may have PS involved sooner due to the slow start on grasping the infection. the surrounding areas are still red/purple, so VAC dressing isn't soon which would help the healing way faster.

• Hoya03mom
    Hoya03mom Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2012

After looking at many stores for button up clothes in my size (or larger!) I finally ended up ordering from Sears...since I needed at least 2x size since I didn't want anything too tight, it really limits options (not to mention good fashion taste...why do they think bigger should equate with ugly??  Anyway I did order many items and hope some of them will work out.

Having BMX with DIEP on 7/26.  I have noticed some folks talk about binders, etc.  Does the hospital provide or is this something I have to shop for?  What about bras?  PS says I will actually be a bit larger at least initially (and I was hoping for perky B!!) Do you wear bras in the beginning?  I know the hospital is making appt for me to get fitted for camisole that holds the drains, but do I need bra as well.  And what do you wear down south??  Will have incision hip to hip....is anything comfortable to wear??

ah the things we have to think about that we didn't 3 months ago!

Thanks all for all the help!

Kathy

• Hoya03mom
    edited July 2012

After looking at many stores for button up clothes in my size (or larger!) I finally ended up ordering from Sears...since I needed at least 2x size since I didn't want anything too tight, it really limits options (not to mention good fashion taste...why do they think bigger should equate with ugly??  Anyway I did order many items and hope some of them will work out.

Having BMX with DIEP on 7/26.  I have noticed some folks talk about binders, etc.  Does the hospital provide or is this something I have to shop for?  What about bras?  PS says I will actually be a bit larger at least initially (and I was hoping for perky B!!) Do you wear bras in the beginning?  I know the hospital is making appt for me to get fitted for camisole that holds the drains, but do I need bra as well.  And what do you wear down south??  Will have incision hip to hip....is anything comfortable to wear??

ah the things we have to think about that we didn't 3 months ago!

Thanks all for all the help!

Kathy

• mclark55
    mclark55 Member Posts: 92
    edited July 2012

Cher56 - you are really going through a rough time sister!  I'm so sorry!  I certainly was never told anything about infections being common with BC surgery.  PS's always seem to like to downplay the things that could go wrong!  I sure hope they can sort you out this week - bad enough battling BC without having to battle an infection too.  Are you open to trying herbs to boost your immune system?  I know of quite a few, so let me know if you'd like the list.

Sending you lots of love today.

• Cher56
    Cher56 Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2012

Thanks mclark!! Now having temp & chills,shivers, sweats,etc..crap..sepsis? Ran into surgeon at IV therapy ...she's coming to see me in a few, was nice & showed compassion at 11 days....omg...do happy. Just seen her..was awesome explained tons! Showed compassion. Her estimation for round closure IF I get the vac-dressing ...2 -3 weeks¡!!!!!!!!!!! Omgosh.

My cousin had me on some stuff, she does Reikki too. .

What would your suggestions be hun? Always open to learning more.

• mclark55
    edited July 2012
    cher56:  Hope you're feeling better today, sounds like you're really having a battle with this infection.  I have a page dedicated to herbs that help immunity on my website: http://marnieclark.com/diet-and-cancer/herbs-to-build-the-immune-system/ .  Now I don't recommend you take ALL of them!  Print out the list, if you can, and take it to your local naturopath (best), herbalist (best) or health food shop (ask if they have someone on staff who is qualified to make suggestions) - tell them what you're going through and have them tell you which one(s) they recommend for you.  Since you're in British Columbia you might find that some are not available.  I certainly hope this helps you, you need something good to happen!  xoxox
  • CJRT
    CJRT Member Posts: 221
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone! Good luck to you all. I had my bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction in December. I bought two "Too Beautiful" camisoles in black, and they were fabulous! They have pockets for breast forms and drains. They are also beautiful and stylish. They retail for $55, and I won't need them again. They are size small. If anyone wants them for free, please send me a private msg. with your address, and I would be glad to mail them to you. One less thing you need to buy before surgery! I don't have any local places to donate them to, and it seems like a waste to give them to a regular clothing drive. Good luck to you all...

• Trinity0723
    Trinity0723 Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2012

I too have not read through entire thread so I apologize for repeat. Mx in aug at least one, waiting on brca. What is best thing to wear after surgery in those days when you just don't want to move. And any suggestions on front closing bras (assuming I have anything left). Thanks.

• Nanagoz
    Nanagoz Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2012

I had a left mastectomy on the 3rd.  Did really well until yesterday.  Now the upper half of my chest feels like it is burning and really sore.  Under my arm is very tender.  I had 2 nodes removed (clear ;), but my underarm is swollen and tender.  I took my first vicoden since the 4th yesterday.  Is it supposed to get worse before it gets better?  The drain was removed last Tuesday and I don't think I am draining internerally, no brusing.  

Trinity0723, I have been trying to use the front closing bra, but the hooks are causing me problems because of the swelling, they appear to pinch and because I still have my right breast, they shift that way.  I am going to look for a back closure today.  KMart has a sport bra that I loved before, I just need a larger one now to allow for more room under my arm.  

Good luck to all on this board.

• mclark55
    edited July 2012

Trinity0723 - You'll probably want things you can step into (as opposed to pulling them over your head) or button down the front.  I'd choose light weight fabrics (esp in this heat!).  Do you want links to specific products you can buy on line or do you have time to go shopping?

• Trinity0723
    edited July 2012

Mclark - links would've great. Thanks.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

My BS gives out two camisols you can step into. I have been using them ever since. I am caught in between with one TE and one cavern . I have adjusted the light forms and it works for me. They are Amoenas camisols. I also have a Softee for the night.

• NanG
    NanG Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

I just have found the most AWESOME THING to add to the list. A shower poof on a stick.  They sell them at Shoppers Drug Mart. or im sure any other drug store in the pouf section.  I am three weeks out from DMx with TE placement and still can't wash my upper body properly.  I WISH I had bought this thing before my surgery so i could have had it to wash my underarms once i was allowed to shower.  And the backs of my arms and upper back. Honestly...one of those priceless things  (actually it was $5.99!!) lol!

• Trinity0723
    edited July 2012

I know you can't use deoodorant after lymph node surgery, but can you use natural deodorant like Tom's or is everything out. Not looking forward to stinking.

• mclark55
    edited July 2012

Hi Trinity0723 - sorry for the delay, been incredibly busy doing massages - for some reason my biz is picking up a lot at the moment.  Lots of stress out there. 

I'd like to send you a link to my website but I don't want to be accused of trying to sell anything here - gotta be ultra careful about that on this site.  I've been carefully seeking out good products for a long time and I have links to all these things on my site, including mastectomy garments, lymphedema sleeves etc.  Why don't you send me a personal message and I'll give it to you that way.  Also - tell me what in particular you're really most interested in for yourself.

Thanks and hugs.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Mc, so sorry about the shooting. I hope no one you knew es involved. Horrible thing. Prayers going out to victims and familes.

• NanG
    NanG Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

Trinity....did you have alnd or snb?  i had snb and i use that toms stuff. i don't care for the smell but id rather use that than nothing at all. i tried using teatree oil and baking soda mixed together in a paste like.  my sister in law can't use deodarant and makes that herself.  my skin is too sensitive for it...but seriously that works way better than any deodorant shes ever used. she used to have the stinkest b.o. ever. seriously....but she started using teatree oil and baking soda and she doesn't ever smell bad anymore. even after a full days work in the garden...no smell...and its all natural and totally safe for after cancer.  (as far as i know...) the other benefit is that tea tree oil smells real good....way better than this toms deodorant.

• mclark55
    edited July 2012

Moonflwr912:  Thanks for your lovely thoughts.  No one I knew was involved but that doesn't make it any easier to bear, community-wise.  Don't know why we have so many nut cases here in Colorado, otherwise it's a perfectly beautiful place to live.  Appreciate your prayers.

NanG:  Glad to see someone else appreciates essential oils!  I've been using them for 13 yrs - love 'em.  Baking soda and tea tree sounds kinda messy.  I've got one that I use that is essential oil based and it's absolutely gorgeous smelling and no nasties in it.  All natural and safe.  I can send you a link if you're interested. 

Trinity:  No need to stink (LOL)!

Hope everybody is doing great today. xoxox

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Toms is the only commercial deodorant I can use without my skin breaking down and causing open wounds. If I dont have that I usually used just baking soda. I didn't have much hair under there before chemo and my underarm hair is not making much of an appearance so I don't need too much deodorant.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

MC,Colorado doesn't have the corner on nutsos! But it shouldn't happen anywhere.

• mclark55
    edited July 2012
    Moonflwr - Thanks for your comment Laughing  You're absolutely right.  I hope you have a lovely weekend (everyone).
  • Trinity0723
    edited July 2012

Thank you for the responses on the deodorant. It's really been bothering me.

((hugs))

• Teri060811
    Teri060811 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012

Will I need a sports bra or support bra if I an having a BMX with TE?  If so, how do I know what size?  This is all so overwhelming!  I don't have a Lazy-boy but my couch has a recliner on the ends...will that work?  I didn't even think about not being able to get in and out of bed.  I also have a kind of gross/personal question...after a BMX are you able to wipe yourself?  

• TessaMe
    TessaMe Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

I'm a week and a half out from my left mastectomy and the number one thing I wish I had used was Milk of Magnesia with the stool softeners.

(the dollor store Milk of Magnesia works great for me). 

I was on pain meds before and after surgery, but it was those darn Percocets they gave me after surgery. After 9 day without any action (btw I was taking the stool softeners) I was bound and deterimined to move, well I ended up in the ER. I was so "pain free" I could not tell how much damage I was doing with all the straining...I don't know how in the world I did not open my incision.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Terri, I wore the camisol they gave me, for a long time it was all I needed. your recliner couch should work as long as you don't have to pull hard, that is not something you should be doing. And, no question is too gross, we all have questions that we can only ask here. After BM, just go slow don't stretch too much. Try it now without stretching. If you can't do it now, go to a hospital drugstore and get a little implement looks like a pair of tongs, you can wipe that way. You could also use a cheap pair of kitchen tongs and pitch them when you don't need them any more. So take a deep breath, don't scare yourself, and carry on! Much love.

• Teri060811
    Teri060811 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012

Moonflwr-  Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm trying to be prepared for everything!  Should I ask whether or not they give me a camisol or that standard?  When you lose a TE to infection do they eventually try it again?

Thanks for your support and encouragement <3

Teri 

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Terri, I would ask, because it seems to be different everywhere. Besides, I didn't need it the first week, they did not remove the big dressing til a week later at PS office. Then I wore an adhesive bandage around my chest over the gauze dressings for a week til the incisions stopped leaking, then, I wore the cami. good luck

• Hoya03mom
    edited August 2012

I know this has been mentioned somewhere but I couldn't live without the grabber! It is amazing how many things I drop or are just out of reach. Also since I had BMX with muscle sparing TRAM hard to get out of chairs and have to sleep on back elevated. We rented a power lift chair which has been very helpful. $90 a month I think.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Hoya, I agree with.you, I used the grabber too. Buy the one that doesn't fold. The folding ones tends to fold up when grabbing things. I bought a lift chair, I agree they are wonderful. And I will be facing knee surgery as well so it paid for me to buy, rather than rent.

• Nanagoz
    Nanagoz Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012

Hi Ladies.  I haven't posted for a while.  I am 6 weeks out from a left masectomy and wondering if any of you have had similar problems.  I have a "mini" boob in the cleavage area of my scar.  I've had it since I woke from surgery.  It is rather large and wierd looking.  I did not plan reconstruction so it  should not be from skin saving.  My surgeon said it is "probably" accumulated drainage and will go away.  It doesn't appear to be getting any smaller though.  I also have a lot of pain right in the front bend under my arm when I wear a bra, I can't stand the bra touching it.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?