Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options

Comments

• Diana63
    Diana63 Member Posts: 57
    edited June 2008
    Options

Deen, my husband offered to shave mine off, I told him if you do I'll break your hand. It may not be real hair but it's all I have right now.

Maybe you are more aware of it now because chemo is over, your head is telling you it's time to be normal again. Good luck in surgery Laughing

• LorenaB
    LorenaB Member Posts: 91
    edited June 2008
    Options

Deen, my surgery is Thursday and I feel the same way.  I think I'm going to bring a cap and ask if someone could please put it on me in recovery.  Up until a few days ago, I had to have something on my head at night because the feeling of the pillow against my prickles was really uncomfortable.  I am more comfortable now -- at least the grayish fuzz is good for something.

• LorenaB
    edited June 2008
    Options

Deen, my surgery is Thursday and I feel the same way.  I think I'm going to bring a cap and ask if someone could please put it on me in recovery.  Up until a few days ago, I had to have something on my head at night because the feeling of the pillow against my prickles was really uncomfortable.  It doesn't bother me anymore -- at least the grayish fuzz is good for something.

• smirasky
    smirasky Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

My last chemo was July 4th 07.  I had enough hair to go without anything by October.  My hair came in with curl!!!  I was thrilled after a lifetime with straight hair.  But now it is almost back to its original straightness.  It's just good to have hair.  I was back to coloring it by November.  Just couldn't stand the salt & pepper effect. 

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2008
    Options

Oo, oo... you know what I saw this morning...EYEBROW STUBBLE! You know, those little black specs that preceed the appearance of an eyebrow? Unfortunately, they're in the area I usually clean out between my brow and my eyelid crease. And I actually tweezed one out! (And no, it wasn't specs of my eyebrow powder...I felt them.)

• LorenaB
    edited June 2008
    Options

Nancy, I have a ton of crazy eyebrow stubble.  I actually think I'm going to go to my hairdresser and ask her to wax some of it off and clip the hairs that never fell out, so that there is a clean line to be filled in, if that makes any sense.  I've always had thick eyebrows (needed to wax every 3-4 weeks) that used to annoy me, but now I'm just thrilled to see them growing back to their shaggy old selves.  If only I could say the same for the hair on my head... although there are a lot more prickly hairs now so I suppose I'm making progress.

• lisa39
    lisa39 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2008
    Options

I can't wait till I get eyebrow stubble.  Some bottom lashes would be nice too.  One more Taxol to go in early July... maybe after that.  Sigh.

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited June 2008
    Options

I love this thread! People have such a great sense of humor; makes my own couple more months of baldness a helluva easier to face!   And I can't resist, I just had to post the "Hair" lyrics. D'ya think the composer might've had chemo?

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Flow it, show it
    Long as God can grow it
    My hair

Let it fly in the breeze
    And get caught in the trees
    Give a home to the fleas in my hair
    A home for fleas
    A hive for bees
    A nest for birds
    There ain't no words
    For the beauty, the splendor, the wonder
    Of my...

Hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair
    Flow it, show it
    Long as God can grow it
    My hair

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
    Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
    Oily, greasy, fleecy
    Shining, gleaming, streaming
    Flaxen, waxen
    Knotted, polka-dotted
    Twisted, beaded, braided
    Powdered, flowered, and confettied
    Bangled, tangled, spangled, and spaghettied!

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2008
    Options

Gotta do this.

Someone in the "My head hurts" thread farther down on the Chemo list drew an analogy between the fuzzy-headed, non-shaved look and the main character in Beetlejuice.

Now, please!!!  My dh assures me I don't have anywhere near that much hair! 

otter 

• MsKarin
    MsKarin Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2008
    Options

Otter,

I'm guilty, Im the one that started the BeetleJuice thing. But I DID NOT say the main character. What I said was "As thick as my hair was I'm estimating I only have 10 to 20 % left. When I look in mirror all I can see is one of the creatures in the movie Beetle Juice. Think it was a little head on a big body. The one that was almost bald but had kind of long scraggly hair." I also went looking for a picture to match what I see in my mind from the movie but had no luck. Shoot I would love to have the hair in the picture you posted. I could make that look really great!

Enjoy the day, Karin

• KellyY
    KellyY Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2008
    Options

Hello.

This is my first time EVER in a chat room.  Headcovers.com has nice stuff, but I have been using pretty sqare scarves from anywhere...banana republic, TJ maxx ect and getting compliments...just fold into a triangle and tie in the back.  hope this helps. 

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited June 2008
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, Kelly.  I tried scarves like that, but my dh said I looked like a "babushka".  I looked that up, and the pic was not pretty so I won't post it here.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of scarves like you're describing:  20-inch squares that I used to fold in a triangle and tie behind my neck.  Even without hair, those scarves are too small to cover my bald head.  OTOH, I guess they cover more than my ball caps do!

Oh, and Karin, I was trying to think of other Beetlejuice characters, too, but the main guy in the pic I posted was the only one I could come up with in a Google image search.  I thought the Beetlejuice discussion was hilarious.  Wasn't the big body/small head thing the result of some sort of magic spell cast by one of the other characters? 

Mostly I look like a Chernobyl victim.  Believe it or not, the fuzzy hair that's left on my head is still growing!  I've had to trim it twice since everything else fell out toward the end of round #1.

Post edited to add:  Karin, were you thinking of this guy?

otter

• kimbly
    kimbly Member Posts: 46
    edited June 2008
    Options

I was mostly bald when I went for my surgery.  I bought a cool scarf at Joanns and wore that...  I NEVER wore scarves otherwise. This was one of those hankerchief type things. It had peace signs and stuff like that all over it.   Anyhow they let me keep it on under the surgery cap and I woke up and both were still on!  I too was paranoid about waking up with a bare head....

• kimbly
    edited June 2008
    Options

I thought I posted a picture to this thread of my hair progress.. apparently I did not.... LOL

let me see if I can now.

• MsKarin
    MsKarin Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2008
    Options

Otter,

He does have a small head on a big body but No thats not the one I'm visualizing either. Remember I said "Think it was a little head on a big body". Think is the key phrase here. These days I'm not thinking to clearly. It is good to know that there was a guy with a little head and big body in BeetleJuice. It means I did remember something and had the right movie, lol.  

Enjoy the day, Karin

• WildRose
    WildRose Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2008
    Options

Just to throw in my two cents, someone upthread said that if you  do A/C then the taxanes, your hair could start to grow in during the taxanes. My onc started me on taxol for two txs, then switched me to taxotere. On the taxotere, my stubble started to grow right after the first tx. I have a tonsure, however! But the hair is dark, almost black, and probably 1/16 of an inch long.

My eyebrows and eyelashes thinned, I 've shaved my legs maybe three times since starting chemo, and I haven't had to shave my underarms once. That's OK by me. ;-) 

Today was my last tx forever.

Now my hair can start growing back in earnest.

• Wintermoon623
    Wintermoon623 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2008
    Options

I am just four weeks out from last chemo treatment and I have salt and pepper fuzz on my head...more salt than pepper....and I was not nearly this gray before!!  I have a question about eyebrows and eyelashes....as much as I'd like my hair back, it's the loss of the brows and especially lashes that has me a bit unsettled.  I didn't lose them until AFTER the last Taxol...is that usual?  How long before I see something coming back?  I know this is trivial in the grand scheme of things with this disease but as I am starting radiation soon (and I'm scared) I'd like to be hopeful that I'll see brows and lashes soon.  Is that possible? 

• cookie1956
    cookie1956 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2008
    Options

Lorena ....  Good luck on Thursday....I am not sure exactly what surgery you are having, but I had mine on May 23, and it went so very well, and recovery was so much easier than I thought!  I did not have the hair problem (that's coming in two weeks), however, I was paranoid about my partial dentures....and to my relief, they say it is very common, and they are very understanding about your needs.  Be sure to speak up!  Any woman taking care of you (nurse, doctor, etc.) will empathizek, I'm sure. 

• dhettish
    dhettish Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2008
    Options

I had 4 tx of A/C and 4 Taxotere. I shaved my head by week 2. Being bald did not bother me. I wore wigs sometimes but by the end I was just wearing ball caps. Taxotere swelled me up so bad I looked like the guy on Ghosthunters. My face was so fat.

When my hair started coming back, it was all white fuzz (somebody called it dryer lint). I had big bald spots on my part and crown and I thought they would never fill in. My last tx was 3/11/08 and finally I am getting some dark brown hairs but still a lot of grey. I always colored my hair so I had no idea I was that grey! I lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. I still have to pencil in my eyebrows and there are some bald spots there as well. My eyelashes are about 1/8 of an inch.

Now my legs hairs began growing immediately. I have to shave everyday now. I am tripple negative so on no hormone drugs. Last night I noticed a lot of very light but long hairs along my jawline. Freaked me out. I may look into electroylisis. Not too noticable, but it bothers me. 

I am not wearing anything now. My hair is very short, thicker, and very grey!

Debbie 

• mominaz
    mominaz Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2008
    Options
    ROCK!!!!! That is my myspace song!!!!! heehee Great minds.....Wink
  • lemonjake
    edited June 2008
    Options
    Mominaz:  inDEED. Kiss
  • susan5783
    susan5783 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2008
    Options

I lost most of my eyelashes AFTER my last treatment (TCH) which was May 15. that was a shock, since I assumed that would not happen.  They still look very sparse.   I have not seen any re-growth since then, which worries me.  My hair, what there is of it, is like dandelion fluff. I am now receiving Herceptin and taking Arimidex and wonder if either of these two drugs is delaying the re-growth. 

dx 12/22/07 1.1cm. ER+, HER2+ 

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2008
    Options

OK, how perverse is this:

I have 14 hairs left on my right eyebrow (I counted them), but I had to tweeze several stray hairs this morning that are starting to grow back above my eyelid. Damn, that's just not right.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hi All....Haven't been around lately. Lots on the plate. Just wanted to share with you that this morning 4 of my eyelashes were laying on my cheek when I woke up. Now I have one bottom one on the left eye and three on the right bottom. Boy, is this insane or what? My last chemo was May 9th. Will they ever come back? I had thick and long lashes yet for my age. I also have 3 brows on one side and 1 on the other. I make up my eyes so you can't see them but when  I wash my face at night...boy, looks pretty yucky.

Guess I shouldn't complain to much because I am still here to look at them right? I don't like the alternative.

Artsee

• Deen
    Deen Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2008
    Options

Ok - we've dropped off the first page and I still wanna see how people are progressing.

Artsee and Nancy - that sucks.

For me, losing the eyelashes and eyebrows was the worst.

Hope for those who have though - my eyebrows came in in about a week.  One week gone, next week back!

The hair is taking longer.  I'm 6 weeks out from chemo now and still have the sparse grey fuzz. Can anybody tell me how to post a picture so that I can share? 

I am going NUTS waiting for this to grow.

• LorenaB
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hey Deen, I was thinking about you and wondering how your regrowth has been going.

Someone on another thread said she looked like a chia pet, and that is a perfect description of the state of my head (minus the green!). I am 8 weeks out from my final chemo tx and I have a quarter to an eighth of an inch of dark prickles, along with that fine grayish-white fuzz that I hope is not going to be permanent!

On the positive front, my eyelashes have filled in (I never lost them completely) -- they are short but all there, although a few of them came back WHITE.  My eyebrows started coming in like crazy a few weeks ago -- I've always had thick eyebrows and used to wax every 3-4 weeks, and suddenly I looked like I hadn't plucked a brow in a year.  I actually went in and had them shaped on Wednesday.  For once I didn't mind the pain of waxing -- I was just so thrilled that the little hairs wanted to stay there.  My first indication of hair loss was when I plucked an eyebrow and didn't feel the tug, so this was very exciting to me, LOL.

I'm with you, the slow growth is driving me crazy!

• leahrc
    leahrc Member Posts: 384
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hello all,

I saw this thread, and thought I would share since my crowd went thru this last year. Here is a pic of me about 9 weeks post chemo, which is when I stopped wearing my wig. By the way, when this came in, it was white, then started to turn a disgusting gray, so I colored it in the shower with Nice 'n Easy. I didn't care about waiting. I really didn't know what color my hair was as I had dyed it for over 10 years, so it was an easy decision to just put it back immediately.

Also, eyelashes continue to cycle in and out for quite a while- close to 9 months. I used to have Ali McGraw eyebrows, which have never really grown back in. I add a little powder to them now. Leg and armpit have taken the better part of the year to come back (and I'm a dark Italian!). Pubic hair grows back quickly, but it may be a different color if you are over 50!

My hair did grow in VERY curly, but I loved it. Now that I am a 15 months out, it is still curly, but getting straighter every time I have it cut.

I have so much emotion remembering all this, so I just had to share! 

• lemonjake
    edited July 2008
    Options

Um, Leah.  You look adorable, if a bit porcine about the snout, if you don't mind me saying. Steroids, perhaps? 

(The photo didn't upload -- tho I DO love the avatar, and appreciate the update!  Oh! There it is!  And it IS lovely!  Is this supposed to be the "disgusting gray"? Because it looks like a nice color from my perspective.  Again, though, thank you for posting.)

• suz45
    suz45 Member Posts: 85
    edited July 2008
    Options

Artsee, You asked for a weekly update hair pic. So this is now two weeks later...LOL, ignore the rope in front of my face. The people I was camping with had a few too many wobbly pops to even realize the rope was there. But my hair really is starting to fill in nicely and is slowly getting more ash with white tips. I am ready to have my sides and back professionally cleaned up ( had dh tidy the back of my hairline on the camping trip as it was getting unruly) Hugs to ya all, Suz

Photobucket

• kimbly
    edited July 2008
    Options

Probably time for me to post a new hair progress picture too I suppose.  I was just looking at the picture I posted a few weeks ago and although as I look in the mirror now and shout COME ON at my hair .. the picture and me now well I see quite a bit of progress.  I am just so impatient!!!  Suz your hair looks great.  When did you finish your chemo again????  how far out from last tx is this??