Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options
1858859860861862864»

Comments

• ExcorciseCancer
    ExcorciseCancer Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hello everyone!

I finished 16 treatments of ACT/Durvalumab on 9/5/19. My hair is growing back everywhere but my eyebrows. I have a few thin short hairs in the corners but when I don’t wear drawn on brows, you can hardly tell they exist. I am currently wrapping up radiation so I can’t take Vitamin E right now. I have tried Biotin and Castor Oil. Did anyone else have brows that never grew back after chemo? Does anyone have success stories on eyebrows growing back much later than everything else?!?

• meow0369
    meow0369 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2020
    Options

Hi all! I'm hoping I can get some advice here. I had chemo in 2016 and cold capped. Last year I started to lose hair again after taking antibiotics. I think the combination of chemo, cold capping, and having ovaries removed has left me vulnerable. Then using Amoxicillin ( had to stop after 4 days due to flaring up gastritis) for a possible sinus infection really pushed it over the top. I started to lose hair on top after a couple of months and it hasn't stopped. I now have a bald spot and hair on temples is following suit. Is there anyone that has had similar reaction or that has regrown hair ? I know it's critical not to let hair follicles die and when I showed my dermatologist she said everything is fine! I disagree! I am trying to post to different forums searching for answers. Any suggestion? Thank you!

• lohoff
    lohoff Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2020
    Options

After chemo my hair came back very thick. Then after 2 years it started to fall out. I had a bald spot on the back of my head and the hair at my temples and hairline thinned out so much that you could see my scalp. After about 6 months of it falling out, it started to grow back. Now it’s the same hair I had before chemo - still thick and curly. My eyelashes and brows, however, never came back the same. My eyelashes are thin and short and my brows have thinned out a lot. I am still on Tamoxifen and I know that can cause thinning of your hair, too, so who knows? I’m just glad to be alive.

• Moca66
    Moca66 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2020
    Options

2 months before my chemo finished my hair started growing. But not my original color which is black, i saw white spike hair 😑 hopefully i will change color and not be spiky.

• ipenelope
    ipenelope Member Posts: 233
    edited January 2020
    Options

During Taxol I had very short, thin fuzzies for hair. It didn't grow hardly at all until about a month pfc. There was hair but it was really sparse.

• seawell
    seawell Member Posts: 54
    edited January 2020
    Options

Excorcise.... I'm 5 months PFC exactly today and my brow situation is not good. But I microblade so no one really knows except me. They were sparse to start off with. My lashes are semi thick but not long despite using Latisse. I take my Latissebrush and wipe the leftover on my brows after applying to my lash line but it's not helping. I'm hoping things willimprove with time.

• halildindar
    halildindar Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2020
    Options

I love most of these but there's nothing for curly hair. May have to continue with my cute poodle look

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    edited November 2020
    Options

Once I got it grown out to the point that my usual 2.5 inches would get rid of the curls, I was too used to them. I got a perm a week or so ago. It had grown back straighter than it had been.

• lisandro
    lisandro Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Options

Have you used a special cream to prevent the loss of eyelashes and hair because my friend has the same problem?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2021
    Options

lisandro - is it due to chemo, or hormone therapy?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi lisandro, It is not unusual to have thinning or loss of eyelashes and eyebrows as a side effect of certain treatments. As moth asks, is it from Chemo or hormone therapy?

• lisandro
    lisandro Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hormonal treatment, eyelashes, and eyebrows were shed, don't you think this situation is abnormal?

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi lisandro, hair thinning is listed as a side effect of some hormonal treatments. You can see a comparison chart here https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/co...

Your friend might also want to consult a dermatologist, in case this issue has a different cause. A proper diagnosis is always a good idea. They would also be able to suggest appropriate treatments.

• russie
    russie Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello i cant seem to make a new topic thread but wondering if u can help me i bought a wig before and its washable but using a fabric conditioner so i washed it after i washed it it looked bad but i tried washing it with hair conditioner but it seems it doesnt look good or tangled. is there a way to make it look good again and remove tangles?

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,798
    Options

Comb it while it is wet with hair conditioner, then rinse it with water running through it?? In other words, treat it like a tangled head of human hair. I have no experience with this, but it seems to be a workable solution. Remember to start at the ends and work up.