Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hair Hair Hair - Another question

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    edited July 2008
    Options

Artsee, I didn't lose the lingering hair until about a month or so after finishing chemo.  (4 DD A/C)  You are probably losing the stragglers.  Keep the faith.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2008
    Options

Artsee, I'm 6 wks past my last chemo and the hair on my various body-parts is still trying to make up its mind whether to leave or stay.

I now have only 2 lower-eyelash hairs left. The upper lashes are short and sparse, and extend over about half of each lid.  I am about to give up on applying mascara to the remaining lash hairs, since it seems so futile.

My eyebrows are still pretty good, although there are thin, patchy areas and the middle and outer ends are missing.  I've been using a brow pencil, in short, dot-like strokes.  The key for me was to use "light blonde", even though my normal hair color is mid-brown.  My skin is very pale, and I have white/gray hairs among my remaining brow hairs now.  Light blonde brow pencil fills in the gaps without making it look like I've drawn anything.  I also have some brow powder, which will probably work better once the rest of my brow hairs vanish.

My leg hair is coming back very slowly--it's still just at the "day after shaving" stubble stage.  I have one pesky hair that grows on my chin, and it's returned.  OTOH, I have no under-arm hair at all, which is weird, because it continued to grow (albeit slowly) through my 3rd chemo tx.  Since chemo #4, though, there's no sign of armpit hair.  That's not a bad thing, I realize...  Hair in the "nether regions" is almost completely gone, and it's not coming back yet.  First to leave, last to return?

The hair on my head seems to be growing, although some of what was left (I never shaved my head--just trimmed it short) is falling out now.  I see more hair follicles in my scalp than were there a month ago, and the shiny-bald patch at the crown now feels kind of fuzzy. The hairs that I'm losing are about an inch long, which is the length of the "veteran" pre-chemo hair.

As for reactions to my slightly fuzzy head, I'm impressed with the non-impression it makes.  My mother-in-law told me to just be comfortable while at her apartment--she said there was no need to wear a cap or scarf on her account.  I did cover my head most of the time, but there were moments when I was between the bedroom and bathroom, or switching from scarf to cap, when I was bald; and she never flinched.  I took my cap off briefly so my 2-year-old granddaughter could take a look.  I told her I didn't have any hair, and it would look kind of funny.  She just looked up at my fuzzy head, and went back to what she had been doing.  It didn't bother her at all.  Oh, and I was negotiating my way through a construction zone the other day, and I rolled down my car window to ask the sign-guy whether I could turn left to get to the street I wanted.  He was friendly and very helpful; but it wasn't until I was on my way that I realized I had stuck my fuzzy-bald head out the window to ask him the question.

My mom is going to freak out when she sees me, though.  I just know it.  I haven't seen her since Christmas, and she is still all torn up about my BC dx and treatment.  Just last night, 6 months post-dx and 5-1/2 months post surgery, she was still apologizing about not having sent flowers while I was recovering from surgery.  She said, didn't I realize how concerned she was, and how she was lying awake at night and feeling horrible, thinking about me being in the hospital???

So, I'm sure the full "horror" of it all will come rushing back as I walk through the door into her house next week.  I am sooo looking forward to that!

otter

• hope4u
    hope4u Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hi all,

Fascinatin thread of discussions and very encouraging ... I've completed my 8 chemo sessions ... 4 with AC and 4 with taxotere ... started January 14 and last chemo was June 17.  Now it's been a month after the last chemo and my hair is growing in patches ... longer (3/4 inch), thicker and darker hair on both sides and more white hair with various lengths on top.  Based on everyone's comments, and in response to Deen's question about when the hair starts growing back ... it really varies person by person ... or should I say head to head ... just like the chemo side effects each of us encountered (I guess that's another thread).  Of course we all want our hair to grow sooner than later.

Generally my body has a tendency to experience delayed reaction to treatments, etc.  So I'm assuming that it would take longer for my hair to grow back.  Luckily, I found a couple of wigs that suit me fine and don't bother me at all.   I also wear a half-wig with hats... those can be fun ... 

So in the meantime ...while waiting for those ferocious hairs to grow back ... let's be thankful and keep on smiling ....  

• danismom
    danismom Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hi everyone,

I had my 3rd tc tx on July 8.  My last tx is July 29th.......YEA!  When my hair started coming out I went ahead and had my daughter shave my head.  I had some places that you could not feel hair at all and them there were places on top my head that were stubbly.  I have never lost all the hair that was stubbly and have a lot of fuzz where the other hair fell out.  I guess what I'm asking is should I go ahead and shave off the ugly stubbles or leave it alone and did everyone loose all you hair or did you still have some left that have survived the chemo??  It really looks gross.  I wear a lot of caps because I don't like how my wig looks on me.   I am two weeks away from my last tx and have a lot of questions about my hair.  I have been using Johnson's Baby Shampoo.  Should I be using something else that would be better for my scalp and hair?  I  don't wash my head everyday although I used to wash it everyday when I still had hair.  I would really like some help please.  Other than the se's that is the one thing I am really excited about with this next treatment being my last.  I just want what is the very best for my hair and head.  HELP!!!

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited July 2008
    Options

The stubbles might stay...or they might come loose as they grow out. Mine came loose.

As far as shampoo, baby shampoo is just fine. What you're really washing is your scalp. I took a net scrubby and put the shampoo on that and gave my scalp a scrub with it. That takes off any dead skin cells and oily flakes. It also took off some loose hairs that caught in the net. They didn't need much coaxing to come out. Now, what's left is pretty well rooted and filling in rapidly, although still light colored on top and dark in the back. Must be the natural coloring —I've colored it for so long I wouldn't know.  

• danismom
    danismom Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2008
    Options

NancyD, I have read about a shampoo called Nioxin??   Is that better?   Does everyone have fuzz throughout their treatments?  It's really soft and that doesn't bother me, it's the stubbles that are really gross.  Should I have my daughter reshave my head or just leave it alone.  I certainly don't want to do anything that might delay it growing back.  I miss my hair, it wasn't thick and had a very fine texture, but I miss it.  I am really hoping that it will come back in thick, but if it doesn't I'll just be happy to have back.  I know everyone feels that way but I guess I'm getting anxious since I only have one more tx.  There is light at the end of the tunnel.

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hey guys.....How's everyone? had lunch yesterday with a 2 year BC survivor to celebrate finishing rads. She said the eyelashes fall out about every three months.....and it doesn't stop. It hasn't for her.(Bad news) I've shave the legs twice the eyebrows are pretty much back, the eyelashes are growing quickly. They are more that 1/8" . I won't get too cozy with them seeing as they are going to bolt in a couple of months again.No pit hairs and nothing down South either. That's gotta be the last of all hairs to come back.I really don't care too much about all of them EXCEPT my head hair.I've seen Nioxin work it's miracles but it doesn't seem to be doing one on me. I use it a couple times a day, but nothing much is happening. Not fast enough anyway. I've finally gotten the courage to wear nothing on the head here at home. I'm always afraid someone is going to walk into the house on me.SurprisedI finally took my cap off in front of my mom yesterday. She just smiled. I think she feels sorry for me.I haven't been pulling on it anymore for fear it will come out still. Enough rambling.....Have a good evening.

Artsee

• gramadeb
    gramadeb Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2008
    Options

My abnormal hair growth is finally balancing out - left side of my head is covered with gray hair now and a few dark hairs are popping up. Rad nurse today was commenting on my "pretty scarf" and I told her I was so tired of wearing them. She asked how my hair was coming so I showed her and she said it was coming in well and that she thought I could go without my scarf very soon. She said I will look nice with short hair. She probably says that to every post chemo patient - but it was a little ray of sunshine for me today.

Eyebrows are filling in but are so light that you can't see them - so sticking with the eyebrow powder. Lost a few lashes earlier in the week but now seem OK. Leg hair growing regularly (of course) - down south is getting fuzzy.

Well, there are all the details of my every hairy -or hairless- body part!

Artsee - congrats on finishing rads.

Take Care

Deb

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited July 2008
    Options

Still in throes of chemo so shouldn't post but can't resist reporting that I have a bare patch in the middle of my left brow about 1/2 - 3/4" wide.  With the bald head and the brow, I am a set of knuckle tattoos away from being mistaken for a gang member. Just the look I was shooting for.

I was braced to rock the bald (and mind you, I am mighty tired of it already). Rocking the brow is a whole 'nother deal. 

I spray my head with toner. Helps with the hot days and so far, my skin is healthy. 

• hunkydory
    hunkydory Member Posts: 722
    edited July 2008
    Options

Rock, I am sorry but that was hilarious.  How about an eyebrow piercing to fill things in.  Sorry, but had to post.  HunkyD

• Vinogal
    Vinogal Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2008
    Options

I say go for it......a peircing wold certainly "ROCK"......new pic is great!

Cheers

Jax

• Deen
    Deen Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2008
    Options

I love this thread.  I get a chuckle every time - and that's really necessary!

For those who are truly into navel gazing, here are the photos I promised.  They are week to week and oh so pretty ....

4 weeks after last tx

6 weeks after last tx

7 weeks after last tx

8 weeks after last tx (today)

• Vinogal
    Vinogal Member Posts: 114
    edited July 2008
    Options

wow......I love it Deen........very encouraging............I can't believe the difference between 7 and 8 week........it looks great.....will you go topless now?

Cheers

Jax

• nancyd
    edited July 2008
    Options

One of the members of the March chemo group was going to try using the Nioxin. I suggested she make it a trial...use it on half her head and see if that side grew in faster/thicker, but she declined. I guess some of us have that happen naturally, so I'm not sure it would have been totally scientific.

My hair is very light colored on top...as in white. The back is much darker. I suggested to my daughter that I go white all over. (That look is so good on some women.) She didn't like that idea. Either way...going back to my "natural" red or going all-white would require up-keep, so I guess, since I have boxes of my favorite Revlon Medium Auburn stored, I'll end up going back to red.

I started taking pictures of my growth, but my daughter didn't understand what I was doing and deleted them from the camera. Well, I think I'll get to try again in a few weeks after I finish my post-surgery chemo.

• Deen
    edited July 2008
    Options

Jax - No, not brave enough to go commando yet.  It still looks like "chemo head" rather than HAIR!!!!!  - I think I can. I think I can, I think I can ..... almost there ...

Nancy, would you post your pictures after you're done with your final round of chemo? Hah - and I'm totally with you on the dying.  I've always been peroxide-blonde.  Don't know what you would call this poo-color I've got now. 

• LorenaB
    LorenaB Member Posts: 91
    edited July 2008
    Options

Deen, definitely making progress!  I'm just a week or two ahead of you. I'm going to try to take some photos to post this weekend.  I think I'm ready to go "topless" next week -- it still looks like post-chemo hair but there's enough of it that I can actually hold onto a section and tug.  I'll still wear my hat and wiglet sometimes but all day at work my head is getting hot. 

I was always medium brown with lighter highlights in summer (with the occasional gray hair that I plucked out) and now I am this weird mixture of dark brown, gray, white and what I think is blond.  Oh well, at least it's hair.  I'm the one from the March board who's been using Nioxin.  I have no idea if it's working or not but at least I feel like I'm doing something proactive. Wink

• nancyd
    edited July 2008
    Options

Lauren, I didn't want to "out" you on the Nioxin. I still think it would have been interesting to see if it made a difference. Gee, I guess I should have been the one to try it since I will probably lose what I have gained when I start chemo again.

I guess it will all come back in it's own time. I hope to be wigless by Thanksgiving. 

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701
    edited July 2008
    Options

Sorry Nancy, that the beautiful Auburn box of color has to wait in the closet till Thanksgiving.I have forgotten where exactly you are in the journey.

Deen....you go girl....the hair looks pretty good. Kind of like mine only yours looks better than mine. Mine will look like crap till it's two inches. Then I'll probably be nice to it again and do the blond thing. Right now, I do believe blonds have a lot more fun.Salt and pepper makes me feel boring. No offense please to all you s+p's out there. It's a PERSONAL thing that I have to deal with.

I'm trying to be brave and take some shots of the coconut, but I'm too shy I guess. But please do post yours I love it when you do.

Rock...what are you holding on your avatar? Is it a jar of magic growth potient????(sp?)

If so I want some.

Heading out for the Gallery walk in my town. Check in later.

Artsee

• SusanDL123
    SusanDL123 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2008
    Options

Deen,

Thanks for the pictures.  I think you look great.  I have my last treatment on Monday and I think about my hair growing back all the time.  You give me hope.  If I get up the nerve, I will take some pictures of myself too.

Susan 

• lemonjake
    lemonjake Member Posts: 342
    edited July 2008
    Options

[Me in fake announcer voice]

Why, Artsee, I'm holding a jar of Udderly SMOOth hand and foot cream with urea (unscented, of course)!  I have had some problems with my feet and Udderly SMOOth (with urea!) has not only healed my feet but it has improved my MOOOOOOd immensely!

Available now at www.drugstore.com!!!!

(Sorry it's not a hair elixir. Today I was having breakfast with a friend of mine and she noticed a hair on her croissant.  She said, "Hmmmmm, I wonder where this came from." and I predictably chirped, "Well, it's not mine!")

Vino, Hunky,  I have not ruled out a piercing. (Do they make fake eyebrow studs, perchance? I think a trial run is in order...)

• SherriM
    SherriM Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2008
    Options

I'm only day 9 after tx 1 of TC, so haven't started to lose my hair yet, but since my husband already uses Nioxin, I plan on trying it...don't think I have the guts to do the 'half-the-head' test, though!

• nancyd
    edited July 2008
    Options

I went out to dinner last night with some old friends...like high school old friends. I wore my wig through dinner, but as we stepped outside into the very muggy night, I had to whip it off for comfort and stuff it in my pocketbook. We stood outside talking for half an hour and I never felt self conscious. They loved rubbing my fluffy head (that's the best way to describe it now) and deciding if I should keep it relatively short or go back to my shoulder length hair; let it stay salt & pepper or go back to my "natural" auburn. Now's the time for endless possibilities.

• HollyHopes
    HollyHopes Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2008
    Options

Deen - how did you insert your pic in the body of the message??

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited July 2008
    Options

Status Report on hair re-growth:

The last of my lower-lid eyelashes fell out this morning.  I noticed that only half of each upper lid has lashes anymore.  There's no evidence of new lashes.  My eyebrows are patchy.

I am getting frustrated with the slow (or non-existent) re-growth on my head, especially after seeing Deen's timeline.  I'm 6-1/2 wks out from my last Taxotere/Cytoxan tx, and there's not the slightest shadow of growth on my head.  I can feel what I think are some bristles, but they are distributed very far apart.

So, my dh got a magnifying glass and a bright light, and inspected my scalp for signs of life.  He swears that there are tiny, new hairs there, but they're only about 1 or 2 mm long and they're very sparse.  Bless his heart, he pointed out that it's a good thing my hair is not all growing back at once.  This way, the growth is staggered and there's less risk of it being synchronized.  He is so sweet.

otter 

• GemLady
    GemLady Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

Otter,

Don't rush the hair thing. I just got my hair back this month and now I have a fine beard growing.  I was like "what the heck is this???"  I hear it's normal and will go away. Careful what you wish for, right?

Debbie

• nancyd
    edited July 2008
    Options

Otter, those fine hairs get longer before they get thicker. That's what I mean when I say my head feels "fluffy"...the fine hair has a whole different texture than we're used to.

• revkat
    revkat Member Posts: 122
    edited July 2008
    Options

I'm almost 6 weeks out and have gotten that soft, white hair. You can only see it in certain lights, but I can tell by feel. My scalp is all fuzzy instead of smooth. I'm liking it! Keep growing little hairs!

• Diana63
    Diana63 Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2008
    Options

Don't lose hope Otter, when your hair does start growing it will grow pretty fast. I am about 8 1/2 week from taxol and I have about an 1/8 of an inch growing now.

• Deen
    edited July 2008
    Options

Holly,

See Otter and Suz's posts on page 4 of this thread for info on how to post pcitures.  I had no idea, but just followed the instructions given (mainly the ones from Timtam's site - I think Otter gave the URL).

Lauren ..... did you take pictures?  Are you gonna post them????? Would love to see.

D.

• Elizabeth07
    Elizabeth07 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2008
    Options

Hello everone,

I'm new.  It's been ten days since my first chemo session and I'm showing no evidence of hair loss.  Everything I've read says it starts to fall out around the 14th day.  At this point the anxiety of reaching DAY 14 is beginning to get to me.  Last night I had a nightmare all of my hair fell out while I was sleeping.  Please, someone tell me it happens a little more gradually.  I've already cut 12 inches of hair in preparation for the day it falls out completely.  Seems so silly the remaining two inches will be the most difficult to part with. Are there many cases of NO hair loss with chemo?