Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo in Sept 08

Options

Comments

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008
    Options

Off to get kids ready for school!     Been thinking about you ladies lots.

Sue--- Disney???!!  I'm so jealous.  I *heart* that place. :)

• susan13
    susan13 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hey Ladies!

Add me to the list.  Got port today, first treatment Friday the 19th.  I'm not up to speed yet on the abbreviations so what would you call Cytoxan/Adriamycin/5FU?  Thsi is neoadjuvent therapy, 3 tx over 9 weeks. Then I get re-evaluated by the surgeon to see if we can get to surgery.

I'm feeling better and want to get started.  Last 2 weeks all the scans and other tests and countless running around to appointments just had me in a tizzy.  But I feel good now. Even going to get 2 wigs... one for work and one to be sassy on the weekends!

Sue

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi girls,

How is everyone today?  Good, I hope!  First of all, Tanzie, thank you so much for keeping up with the list.  It has become quite a job, huh?

Today is Day 2 for me.  I'm feeling surprisingly good.  Had a mild headache this afternoon, and tired, but I took a nap and am feeling better.  Things are starting to taste a little 'off' - waah!

I'm still worried about not getting the neulasta shot (although I understand it causes bone pain, etc.), but my husband has a bad cold and I know I'll be more prone to getting stuff.  What days does your WBC drop?  Is it 10-14?

Thanks,

Susan:)

• nash
    nash Member Posts: 146
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just popping in from the Aug 07 group to tell Sue that her chemo combo is called CAF. I sent you a private message, too, Sue.

• jc135
    jc135 Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2008
    Options

Just came back from getting my Neulasta shot. I took an Aleve a couple of hours ahead, as I'd read that can help. Just wondering, if I am going to get bone pain, how quickly will I get it? I would imagine it takes a day or two to develop? Should I keep taking the Aleve as a precaution?

Otherwise, it was no big deal and after this first shot (at the hospital) I will be getting it to self-inject at home. Good thing because it took 2 hours total travel time for 10 minutes at the hospital.

Sue508, glad you are feeling pretty good. I am about the same...a slight headache, tired, but zero nausea. So far no taste issues, but its kinda soon. Let's hope it keeps up this way!

• sunny365
    sunny365 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi jc135,

After my Neulasta shot I had severe pain the very next day.  From my forehead, my neck, my chest, my arms, my abdomen.  It was so severe for 2days.  The doctor said advil every 4 hours.  It did nothing.  After 4 shots my blood counts did not change. So my onc. told me not to bother with it and I didn't end up picking up any viruses.  Some people respond to it and others don't.  I hope you have better luck.

Sunny

• CanItBeTrueNH
    CanItBeTrueNH Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hello Tanzi,

Meeting with my oncologist on 9/17/2008  TBD. 

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2008
    Options

I always thought i was a stong person but i find that wen the chips are in my corner things are different. These boards can be a great help and sometimes you see, read and hear too much. Maybe my mind is on overload but i need to take a break from the boards for a while. I hope all of you do well in your treatments. I am seriously beginning to doubt whether I want to even try. To me this disease has already taken too much of my time and energy and now I am fixing to give at least half a year to it and watch the pharmaceutical compaines pad their pockets...When you hear about bone pain, early meno, debilitating fatigue, diarreah, constipation, nausea, headaches...the list goes on and on...I have to ask myself whether that is what living is...in the end the numbers are no different, I am just tired of this consuming my life, my energy and destroying my mind. 

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2008
    Options

I am sure you are overwhelmed as your day gets closer. I know that i am anxious about tomorow. But in my heart I know that I am doing everything I can to get rid of this disease. It has nothing to do with who gets money or not. I want to do what is right for me. You need to decide that with your doctor and your family and know in your heart that is what you want to do. There are side effects to everything, but that does not mean YOU will get them. My goal has been to stay positive and I am working hard at doing that. If the boards upset you, stay away and get your head together. Remember we are here if you want or need us.

I just got back from a Cancer Support group. They were very nice and thoughtful. One person even offered me the loan of a wig.

I had my nails done today and cleaned the house (mostly). I have taken a sleeping pill and want to get some sleep. I feel ready for tomorrow, just fear the nausea/vomiting. I will take a;; my medications as they told me and pray for the best!

D

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008
    Options

Bettysgirl,

I am sure you are a strong person, but it is hard to be so every day. Cancer is a terrible disease and we all feel fed up and dispondent some of the time. If you haven't started your chemo, hearing all the bad stories can be very frightening.  Some of us like to know every detail and it helps us cope and be prepared, but if you are not one, then a break from the forum is a good idea. My experience of 6 x TC and now 4 x FAC so far has been pretty good. I have still made sure I have had a good quality of life and tried to focus on the positive and good things in my life and not the cancer. Good luck to you and please ask for help if you feel you need it, if not from this forum then from somewhere else. Take care. 

Sue508, Don't worry about your blood count, you will be fine, worrying about it will only make you worse.  If you husband has a cold, either give him a surgical mask to wear or wear one yourself, but only if you know you blood count is really low. I am sure that if you oncologist was worried about you he would have given you the shot. Good Luck.

Susan13, I am also on FAC or CAF and so far it's fine.  No nasty bone aches or anything, I am just taking each day as it comes and NOT expecting anything bad to happen.   Keep us posted and good luck for Friday. 

Singapore Chris

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008
    Options

Morning everyone, 

Please don't leave us Bettysgirl,

I completed one episode of Chemo with my nutso Oncologist and never received Neupogen or Neulesta.

I called Medicare and my Medicare Advantage PPO about my doctor's comments to me; he ranted and raved last week about how little they pay and  said other rude personal belittling statements to me while I was there last Wednesday. arrrgh

Medicare told me that it is totally Illegal for my doctor to charge me more in  his office than my co-pay allows. I was supposed to pay him $10.00 but I was scared of dying and not getting treated by this good doc and paid him 6 times as much. I am senior citizen--63 years old-- so I called Medicare and my insurance company this past weekend when I stopped feeling queasy.

I am going in this morning to get my money back on advice of Medicare and my Advantage plan; money I could ill afford to pay, I made another appt with another Oncologist for October 7, 2008, and I will call the NY State Medical Association on advice of Medicare to report this doctor to them ASAP. I am not happy about these impediments to my therapy but I refuse to give up.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and other  autoimmune problems which landed me on Medicare Disability;I have been improving steadily and I'm looking forward to working again. The last thing I want is Bone pain. I can understand anyone not wanting this to happen to them. I am tired of it after years of these other health situations but I do have a son with Asperger's, and  I Have to stay here as long as I can. My darling son even made me stop smoking when I was carrying him 20years ago.

I had 1/2 dose of Decadron, all meds peripherally by infusion and I've not fared badly except my breast turned red and swollen for two days.

I am going in to see my wonderful surgeon  for a post-op breast check  this afternoon  to make sure if my breast is OK and that the redness and edema after my chemo last week  is not a problem.

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008
    Options

Bettysgirl,

If you are still here, please don't give up.  It is overwhelming when you read about all the things that can happen, but not everyone gets all of these side effects.  There are many women posting here and not everyone gets all of them.  Some women had very few side effects, but they just don't have as much reason to post so you don't hear about it.

I also didn't want to give any more of my time or energy to this cancer when I thought that everything was over and then a month later chemo was recommended as a preventive measure.  While it's true it's half a year, that's only half a year out of what will hopefully be a very long life.  I think we can handle giving it that much more.  And then we can move on with our lives knowing that we did everything we could.

We all have times when it just doesn't seem like we can do anymore, but I think you'll find that you can.  And if it seems daunting, just don't come on here as often.  I wish all the best for you.

Chris 

• Sue508
    edited September 2008
    Options

Bettysgirl ((((((((((()))))))))))) I don't think there is much that I can add to what's already been said.  Maybe take a break from the boards and come back if/when you are ready.  Today is Day 3 for me and things are going much better than I thought they would.  Like someone else said, everyone is different and your side effects may be minimal.  You can do this!

Singapore Chris, thanks for the encouragement :)

Bar - hope things go well with your post op check and that the insurance stuff gets cleared up.

D - glad your support group mtg. went well.  I haven't taken that step yet, but have signed up for the ACS Look Good class in October.

Have a good day, ladies.

Susan

• jc135
    edited September 2008
    Options

Day 3 and still no nausea but woke up at 4 a.m. with an excruciating headache that just won't quit. Took extra strength tylenol, which did nothing, so then took two Aleve...still not much improvement. Could this be from the Neulasta shot yesterday? No bone pain, so far, but this headache is like the worst I've ever had. I do see "headache" on the Neulasta SE list but no one said "unbearable splitting headache!"

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited September 2008
    Options

JC135, have you continued to drink a lot?  Also, did you have a steroid as part of your pre-meds?  Steroids will limit brain swelling from the chemo, so it would be a good thing to do.

I had a small headache one day that Tylenol easily cleared up, but I drank a whole, whole lot.  When my son was in treatment he would get awful headaches, and when we would do IV fluids, they would clear up.  I vowed that I would just drink like a fish and try my best to avoid the dehydration thing.

Another potential reason for your headaches is low red blood cell count from the chemo.

• susan13
    susan13 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008
    Options

Thanks Nash!

Ok so being a "newbie" how do I retrieve a private message?

• jc135
    edited September 2008
    Options

hi BrandonMom, yeah I'm drinking like a fish, and I am taking decadron (although a very low dose at this point.)  I don't think it could be the red cell count--it wouldn't drop that fast, I'm only on day 3 of the first tx. The headache is a bit better this afternoon, after some more sleep and some lunch, but its still there...at least its bearable enough to be on the computer for a bit! I really wonder if this is from the Neulasta?? Oh well, at least so far still no bone pain and no nausea at all (just some heartburn)...so I probably shouldn't complain too much.

Hope everyone else who started this week is doing well..!

• BrandonMom
    edited September 2008
    Options

jc135 Neulasta causes bone pain because of the marrow filling with new blood cells (encouraged by the Neulasta).  You skull doesn't have so much marrow, so it really doesn't make sense to me that Neulasta would cause that problem.  Usually it affects hip bones and other bones with a good size marrow amount.  Why do you think it is too soon for your red blood cell counts to drop?  I'd think this would be when they are at their lowest - after the chemo, but before the neulasta boosts them back up. 

• jc135
    edited September 2008
    Options

BrandonMom, Neulasta has no effect on red blood cells...it is a white cell booster (for infection)...red cell boosters are things like Procrit or Aransep. My understanding is that it takes about a week for blood counts to really drop. No matter, headache is listed under the SE's for Neulasta, that's why I was wondering...and some searching on this site has found other references to folks getting severe headaches after the Neulasta shot. Who knows, though! I'm on so many drugs, how can you even tell which is causing what effect!  If it doesn't abate by tomorrow I will call the onco nurse and see what she thinks. (Its much better this evening, but not really gone..)

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Gals!

Mind if I join you?  Found lump 8/8, by 8/15 dx with IDC.  Partial radical mastectomy on 9/8 with port placement at that time. To read my blow-by-blow horror story, go to the Stage III Page "allow me to introduce myself."  I see onc on Friday.  BS said to expect aggressive chemo and radiation as I am stage III/Grade III.  I have had long hair since I was a little girl, but I got it cut at the beginning of the month in anticipation.  I'm actually glad I did because the short hair has been easier to take care of post op.  I have already been for a wig fitting and we chose a wig similar to my hair style and similar to my hair color. I look absolutely horrible in hats! The same wig shop also provides prosthesis and bras and will bill my insurance.  I have another appt with the wig shop on Saturday as my wig is in and, hopefully, I will be able to be fitted for the prosthesis.  The lady at the wig shop is also a hair dresser, so she will style the wig to fit my face (trim the bangs, etc). My brother is a barber, so he said he would shave my head when I'm ready.

So far, the worst part of this ordeal has been the waiting between each step.  It all has seemed unbearable.  I am prepared to kick cancer's a**, so let's get on with the fight!

• PEnTE
    PEnTE Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2008
    Options

Peeps,

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you today as i know you had your first treatment this day.  How you feeling?  Be strong and hang in there girl.  I start in 12 days...29 Sep...I'm SO ready to get started so that I can be done with this!! 

Patti :) 

• BrandonMom
    edited September 2008
    Options

Has anyone woken up with their heart racing? It happened to me last night.  My pulse jumped to 150 at about 4AM, and I felt really awful. I thought about going to the hospital, but thought I'd give it a bit.  After about 1/2 hour things settled down, but it was scary while it was happening.

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited September 2008
    Options

Well, girls...I'm on Day 7 after my first dose, and honestly, I've had no nausea at all! I have minor heartburn, which Pepcid takes care of, and a slight bout with constipation...I have been receiving leukine shots every day for ten days after an infusion, and for that, two Aleve take care of any pain I might have afterward. I had my labs today, and the tech said that my levels were "beautiful!"! I still have my hair so far, I drink water like it's going out of style, and I get my port put in on Friday. I know it's early in my treatment, but it's mighty promising so far! 

Keep hanging in there!

Robin 

• priane
    priane Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi ladies.... Well I've survived three days of work. It's been a struggle just getting in because I have really been tired and nauseated lately. My stomach has also been killing me. Pepto Bismal has been my drink of choice lately. I miss the taste of food. I miss enjoying a meal. I have had a couple of "pity" parties this week. This has only been my 1st of  6 rounds and I am just beat. Please tell me it gets better.....

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi, Priane

I experienced the similar way through Day 3 to Day 6 after my first chemo.  When did you have your first chemo?  I was sick with everything from headache, digestive problems, nausea, to feverish and flu like feeling, etc.  I started to feel much better on Day 8 and today is Day 13 I feel almost normal self.  I had a terrible diaahrea up til Day 11.  I will have my chemo #2 on 09/26.  I am dreading to go through the same hell all over again... I hope you will feel better soon.

• rickster
    rickster Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2008
    Options

The losing hair issue has hit home!!  I am on day 14 of my first T/C regimen.  After my shower this AM, I was combing out my hair, and although it didn't come in 'clumps' it was coming out a'plenty . . . loose handfuls and huge amounts on the comb!!  I am trying to schedule my hairdresser for a 'buzz cut' tomorrow night, but I am just curious, if I can't get with her tomorrow (Thurs night) am I going to make it until Monday (next opportunity)?

Also, as much as I have tried to prepare for this mentally, I have had several teary breakdowns today . . . welcoming any advice for overcoming this emotional / physical / vanity ridden hurdle.

Thanks in advance, mi amigas and all the best to you!!  Rickster

note - also posting on crazy sexy cancer in seattle

• hood1980
    hood1980 Member Posts: 168
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi Rickster, I post on the Aug Board but pop over here to see if I can help any of you from time to time and thought I'd share with you my hair story.  Like you I started shedding around day 15 and went to see my hairdresser.  She said I had too much hair to buzz it that early (come back later if I wanted) so she cut it short (for me at least) to between chin and shoulder length.  I went another 7-10 with most of my hair, glueing it in place with my Paul Mitchell hair spray to keep from shedding at work.  I only washed it once or twice during that time trying to hold on for it as long as I could.  After my second treatment I started wearing scarves, hats and finally wigs occasionally.  I still have about 20% of my hair and just finished TC tx #3 yesterday.  I can wear a baseball hat with my wispy hair tucked behind my ears and not get the OMG she's got cancer stares.  I know a lot of people like to get the buzz cut and be in control, but this has worked for me and I just wanted to tell you about another option.  Best of luck to you and the September ladies!

• Sue508
    edited September 2008
    Options

hey JC - I have also had trouble with headaches since Monday, but I get migraines anyway.  Today is the first day I haven't taken zofran (which says is can cause headache) and so far so good.  I may ask for a different nausea drug next time.  Are you on Zofran?

Welcome Jane!  Sorry for the reason, but glad you are here :)

BrandonsMom - are you feeling better?  I had issues w/ heart palp. before BC, but they seem to have resolved.  Hope you are feeling better.  You might want to check w/ your doc.

Gotta run - I'll finish my reply later :)

Susan

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008
    Options

Morning  all,

I had another post-op visit per my request with my surgeon yesterday. She said my Breast looks good. She also told me that the post-op breast often turns red  immediately after chemo for a while.

My breast is less red now but it still swells sometimes.She removed a Papilloma located near my nipple and biopsied it during surgery,  which would cause the swelling near my nipple.

My surgeon is wonderful. She is going to help me find an Oncologist and will have her office insurance/finance person ask for a continuance to place my port. I couldn't ask for a better outcome plus I made my old Oncologist  return my illegally requested overpay of my co-pay.

This  is my 8th day after chemo; I feel stronger and no more queasy tummy.

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2008
    Options

Hi! Survived Chemo #1 of AC yesterday. Took about 2 1/2 hrs and my friend sat with me and we talked. Felt tired last night and wanted to sleep but my son had a sore throat and wasn't feling well. I took Compazine before bed, just as a precaution. I did have a headache last night and took Tylenol. Have a small headache today, no nausea. I had pancakes for breakfast. Still tired, hope to get some of the house back to order, but we will see. Keep everyone posted.

D