Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• 2z54
    2z54 Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2008

Great news priz47!   I survived Chemo #2 of AC yesterday!  I'm 1/4 through the whole chemo and very excited.  This time I didn't work after chemo, took it a little slow and didn't have the post-chemo killer headache I had last time.  I'm working now though (at home... and checking the boards for my breaks).  But, all in all, I'm so relieved that this is so much more doable than I had expected.  One bad break... I had been taking a supplement that was possibly going to prevent my hairloss, but yesterday before showering I ran my fingers thru my hair to check to see if it needed washing and lo and behold, I'm starting clumps.  A little later than usual (14 days), but it's starting.  Certainly OK, though, considering the onc. told me she though my 3 - 4cm lump was already starting to shrink!  So, what's a little hair here and there?   I've already got the wig waiting in the wings.

Good luck to everyone!  As time marches on, we get better!

s

• bunnyrabbit
    bunnyrabbit Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2008

Thanks for all the hair advice, I start chemo on Monday TC #1. With the words from the board my eta of hair loss will come by 14 days...I am ready (I say that now) going for a wig tomorrow and I am ordering bands and hat from American Cancer Society. Onc has me on a steroid before during and day after chemo...I plan on working 2 days a week on the chemo weeks what do you TC 's think...regarding side affects?

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008

Adding Jane_M and susan13.  Welcome ladies, so sorry for the circumstances that brought you here, but glad for the chance to get to know you.

Also adding tammy's tx info. :) 

Sept ChemoGals!

Sept 01 -   FloridaMom     TAC (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 02 -   Jacuelyn32    TC or TAC

Sept 02 -   kmg1015    TC x6

Sept 03 -   2z54    (Port and SNB Aug. 28)

Sept 03 -   horselover     A/C x4 every two weeks  T x4 every two weeks  (Port placed Aug. 29)

Sept 04 -   SingaporeChris    FAC

Sept 04 -   Emily2008    A/C x4

Sept 04 -   paweed      TC

Sept 04 -   rickster      TC

Sept 05 -   yuyueno    TC x6 every three weeks (Port placed Sept. 29)

Sept 05 -   BrandonMom     A/C every four weeks / T every other week x4

Sept 08 -   woorus     6 tx every three weeks

Sept 08 -   Lili46    TC x4

Sept 08 -   praine     TAC

Sept 09 -   Tanzie    A/C x4 two weeks between (Picc Line inserted same day)

Sept 09 -   cjh   

Sept 09 -   HeatherL      FEC x3 / TC x3

Sept 09 -   lyn117      EC & F(5FU)

Sept 10 -   theprettiestmess     FAC & T

Sept 10 -   bar62        A/C

Sept 11 -   klfh        tx x6  three weeks apart 

Sept 11 -   TheMissingWink      (Port placed 9/08)

Sept 11 -   oldlady     TC x4 every three weeks -- final treatment something else

Sept 15 -   Sue508    TC x4 three weeks between

Sept 15 -   floridaeyes 

Sept 15 -   jc135    TCH every three weeks  /   H weekly  

Sept 15 -   hopefulLady       TC x4  three weeks apart 

Sept 15 -   softballangel       Blind Trial 

Sept 17 -   Priz47     A/C (Port placed 8 / 28)

Sept 17 -   peeps1111      TC x4 every three weeks

Sept 18 -   kimy      TCH  every three weeks

Sept 18 -   bettysgirl      FEC x3

Sept 19 -   Juli50     A/C x4  every three weeks  T twelve weeks

Sept 19 -   susan13      CAF  over nine weeks (port placed 9/16)

Sept 22 -   bunnyrabbit     TC cocktail of choice

Sept 24 -   LisaF       A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks

Sept 29 -   PEnTE (Pattie)     A/C every 3 weeks

Sept 29 -   tammyintexas     A/C x4 every two weeks / T x4 every two weeks / Rads x33

Sept ?? -   Curlieqs

Sept ?? -   HopefulLady  (Port placed 9/11)

Sept ?? -   6cooks       T - A/C

Sept ?? -   CanItBeTrueNH  

Sept ?? -   Jane_M     (port placed 9/8) 

You girls please let me know if I need to add, or if I've forgotten anything!

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited September 2008

Hey girls,

Been sailing through this up until now with fairly light SE's.   Slight headache and basic achey feeling.    Until day 7 Tuesday night.  

Anyone else here on Zoladex?   I am having the period from hades.  :/   And trust me ladies, I am way used to dealing with heavy flow days, but this is horrible!    Not only am I bleeding like a stuck pig, but I'm cramping as well with a headache that gives me fantasies of lifting the back of my skull off to relieve the pressure.   I called the doc and was told it was probably the Zoladex and the final death throws of my ovaries,ect.   Not fun.    Then as of last night, we can throw in a dull throbbing ache at the base of my spine.

I don't know if that is from the Zoladex as well, or if the nuelasta is finally kicking in!   Been spending the day in bed with Lortab and a heating pad.  

Now, after I've dumped my little load of sunshine on ya'll---- how goes it? :)

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008

Priz47,

Glad to hear  from you. I am 8 days past; each day is better than the last.

I'm less tired today and my brain is  not as scrambled as it was last Thursday when I was one day post my first AC therapy

hope your son is feeling better today

• Emily2008
    Emily2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2008

Awww, Tanzie, that really stinks!  You'd think that with all we're going through we could get a break from our periods, for cryin' out loud!  I've been hoping that I won't get one this week due to "chemopause".  As of today (day 14) I've had no hair loss.  We shall see what the weekend holds...

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited September 2008

I had the drain out today.  I thought it would feel better after that, but it hurts like he**.  I haven't done a darn thing in days, but for some reason today I'm pooped.  Of course, I haven't been sleeping very good anyway since I first found the lump (any idea why? lol). I did get two good nights sleep at the hospital when they gave me Ambien, but I don't really want to get in the habit of taking sleeping meds.  Now, though, on nights I am tired, I just can't find a comfortable spot.  I usually sleep on my side, but I haven't been able to sleep on the left side because that is where the drain was and the surgery done.  I haven't been able to sleep on the right side, because the port hurts.

I have some questions already written down for the onco tomorrow, (most of which I got off this forum) but are there any questions you wished you had asked, but never thought of? The ACS site gives a list of questions to ask which includes prognosis.  Of course, I think anyone with cancer has that question, but for some reason I feel funny asking a doctor, "So, how long have I got, doc?"  Then again, I also felt funny asking for copies of all my reports but I'm glad I did now.

I've picked up a lot of info about what to get before chemo, but I haven't seen anything posted about what to wear?  What do you guys where that is the most comfortable?  

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008

Rickster, I am on Day 14 today, I should probably get ready for any day my hair will start to fall out :( so far I have not noticed a lot of my hair falling out yet. I have burning sansation on my scalp, though. The anticipation is killing me! I was told to use the shampoo called Nioxin.  It supposedly minimize hair loss.  Have you guys ever heard of it?  I wonder it works.

• sherrie1964
    sherrie1964 Member Posts: 37
    edited September 2008

Hi all,

It's Day 15 for me and my hair started falling out on Day 13, had it buzzed to about 1/2 an inch yesterday.  Once it started really coming out, it was just emotionally easier for me to do this rather than deal with all the hair.  I know many of you have said that you did the same and now I see why!  

yuyueno, I did get a burning sensation on my scalp before the hair started coming out.  It started in one spot (the sensation) and then spread over my scalp.  I have used Nioxin in the past but I'm not under the impression that it would help with chemo hair loss; I don't know for sure though.

By the way Tanzie, I got my period right after my first treatment too.  It was really heavy for two days and then just stopped, and then I started spotting on and off.  It's been a week and it has just about stopped.  Very weird.  It really stunk to have all of the menstrual symptoms along with the chemo side effects.  I'm not on Zoladex, but I want to talk to my Onc & Gyn about it once I'm through treatment. 

Best, 

Sherrie 

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2008

Tanzie,

Sorry to hear you are feeling badly. What is Zoladex? Is it an oral med like Tamoxifen or in that group? I started my period before the treatment. I found it funny when they told me my urine would be red from the Adriamycin...how could you tell??!!?? (Sorry, weird sense of humor!) I do have one mouth sore forming on my tongue. I hope it won't be bad, but I am prone to canker sores. I did buy the Biotene to rinse with. So far havent lost my taste. My son says my face is flushed and "puffy". Hopefully that is just from the steroids. Hope thoe who started reatment today are doing well. Thinking of you all.

D

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008

I got my period also, on day three.  Very little bleeding actually, but cramps from you know where and they have been constant for about 24 hours now.  Have a headache too, but the cramps take my mind off it!    Kind of feel like a big truck hit me.  Hope tomorrow is better.

Chris 

• rickster
    rickster Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2008

My hair started coming out on day 12. After two days of hand fulls of fine thin shoulder lenght hair and more than a couple of meltdowns, I decided 'it was time'.  Tonight, day 14, I invited my hairdresser to my sister's home for dinner and drinks and she took me down to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch all the way around (with a few slightly longer bangs)- - -  a great transition to the actual buzz, which I may have to do next week.  My ddp sent me a surprise phone msg / photo today, wherein he had gone and gotten a buzz cut himself!  Such a surprise and kind act as we had not even discussed him doing such a thing.  Tracy's post on a different thread gave me a lot of courage and confidence with regard to this whole 'hair thing' (she is also known as ktone, if you want to search and find it).

All the best to you!! Rickster

• rickster
    rickster Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2008
    Thanks, Hood. . . .  What great advice for an option on going short versus going bald! 

My hair started coming out on day 12. After two days of hand fulls of fine thin shoulder length hair and more than a couple of meltdowns, I decided 'it was time'.  Tonight, day 14, I invited my hairdresser to my sister's home for dinner and drinks and she took me down to about 1/4 - 1/2 inch all the way around (with a few slightly longer bangs)- - -  a great transition to the actual buzz, which I may have to do next week.  My ddp sent me a surprise phone msg / photo today, wherein he had gone and gotten a buzz cut himself!  Such a surprise and kind act as we had not even discussed him doing such a thing.  Tracy's post on a different thread also gave me a lot of courage and confidence with regard to this whole 'hair thing'  . . .  All the best to you and the other courageous women out there dealing with all of the bc related issues!! Rickster

• yuyueno
    yuyueno Member Posts: 35
    edited September 2008

Guess what?  My hair started to fall out in clumps this afternoon.  I can't believe how suddenly this is happening. I thought this was a little more gradual process, but it is falling out like crazy.  I am actually freaking out...  I guess I have to get a buz cut this weekend.

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008

Hi Girls, It is day 16 for me and 2 hairs came out today! As my hair has started to grow back, it is a strange feeling expecting it to come out again. (had a break between chemo and surgery)  I am not sure if I am upset or not, all I know is it will come back which is a good thing. As for coping with the emotional side of a bald head, I would say that if you reflection upsets you, cover your head with a cap or something until you get used to it, and you will. It is also difficult for the family to accept too, so be aware that the children may not want to see you bald, my 12 year old didn't like it at first so I covered up until we were all ready.  It is also upsetting for us that they are upset by our appearance, so be gentle with yourself. This is all normal, and a crying spell is to be expected, but if it doesn't go away after a while, get help! I have grown to love my little bald head and think I look sweet, and I DO!Kiss 

I had a bad day yesterday when I was told my white blood count dropped really low 1.6, I felt so good, but was worried about infection and have to stay in for a while. Had 2 boosters so they will help. It doesn't seem fair when you feel good, but can't go out!

I had an idea, how would each of you like to tell us something that you do that cheers you up during this awful process.  It could be sneaking chocolate, watching desperate housewives or hugging the dog.  It would be good to sometimes have a few upbeat things to read that would help us all.  I know we don't feel good during chemo, but not every minute is bad. 

I will start, I ask a someone to bring me sunflowers, and keep then where I can see them, you can't be sad when a sunflower is looking at you.

Take Care  Singapore Chris

• Emily2008
    Emily2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2008

Jane, I wear a tank top with a short sleeved, zip-up hoodie that I can just unzip a bit to allow access to my port, which is by my right breast.  Anything with an open, wide collar would work, depending on the location of your port.  I also wore comfy pants, brought books and snacks, my ipod, and a blanket.  I actually fell asleep for a bit during my first txt.

As for the hair...Yuyu, I can imagine how shocking it must be when it actually starts to come out. I'm on day 15 and the only thing I've noticed is some soreness on the crown area of my scalp.  It actually hurts, but no hair is falling yet.

Singapore Chris, nice idea!  You know what cheers me up?  I have received so many cards from friends over the last few months.  Every week there is something in my mailbox from someone and I have collected them all. One lady from my church has made it a practice to send me a couple of cards each week, and they really cheer me up.

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008

Hi Sept. 08 chemo ladies...

Bunnyrabbit, here is my experience with TC. Maybe it will help you plan your work schedule, although we all react differently. I had my first TC treatment on Sept. 8.I felt really good the day after the treatment-due to the steroids. I had GI issues day 3-6 but not bad and felt really good by day 7. Unfortunately I felt so good that I booked a flight to visit friends on Day 10(yesterday). When I reached my destination I got a call from my doctor that I was severely neutropenic, needed antibiotics and needed to get to the nearest hospital to be admitted if I developed a fever. I turned around and flew back home(didn't want to risk being away from home with a fever) and by the time I got home I had a full blown cold. I also developed thrush in my mouth which is very painful. Live and learn. My advice, stay away from large groups of people around days 9-11. I'm now hunkering down at home for a while.

I also had my period before my first treatment and have been spotting since. I was told this is normal. No hair loss yet.

My kids and their friends are always good at keeping things cheery around here. If they're not here I enjoy curling up with a good book to escape reality for a while. 

Good luck to all those starting treatment today and next week.

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited September 2008

Lili,

I think I have thrush too.  How is it treated?  Need to call the doc I guess.

Susan

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited September 2008

I've notice thrush is a common problem here. Tell your doctor immediately so you can get something for it.

Juli

• Jane_M
    edited September 2008

I hope my problem is unique, but on the other hand, I hope it isn't.  I have a history of abuse of prescription drugs (which, over time, I decided would work better with vodka).  I have been clean and sober since 7/1/05.  I also had gastric bypass surgery 7 years ago.  I am SCARED TO DEATH of taking narcotic pain meds or other mood alterining drugs such as xanax or valium.  Since the mastectomy, I have only taken 7 Tylenol #3 and yesterday after the drain came out was bad - I took 2.  Are steroids an absolute?  What about the other drugs?  What about metabolism of oral meds?  Everything I eat goes through by system quicker than a normal person.

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2008

Hi Susan,

If you think you have thrush, definitely call your doctor. Mine prescribed nystatin suspension to swish around  my mouth 4 times a day. It helps. 

Good luck.

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2008

Finally I started chemo yesterday after a 9 day delay due to fine print of the clinical trail protocal (it takes a week for the drugs to arrive after they order them)

I am on trial #e5103 with dose dense AC 2 weeks x 4, then paxilatrol every week x12 and HOPEFULLY avistan but am double blinded.

Yesterday went well, no side effects, I watched the movie Micheal Clayton with my significant other and was able to flush the red ac out of my urine by the time I left the chemo suite.  I drank at least three pint bottles of water during chemo and one before and after.  I hold the h2o responsible for my feeling good thought out.  I slept well lastnight, despite my partner checking my pulse a couple of times( I think he thought I had a cardiac arrest as I usually snore when I sleep so deeply!) Today I had a light breakfast in order to take the streroids they ORDERED  me to take and am doing well enough to consider shopping and vacumning. 

Felt like I was jumping off a cliff yesterday as I walked into the chemo room and almost took off for Mexico at the last minute ( have nasty PTSD from my mothers chemo experience when I was 16), but I did it and believe it will only get easier ... for me fear has been by far the worst side effect from cancer so far.

Tanzie-Don't you dare update this list till you are feeling better!  How can we help you with this?

I don't have great computer skills, but I do have friends...please let us know how we can show you appreciation for your many hours of volunteering on the September site!

Grateful,

Carla

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited September 2008

Day 3- not feling good today. stomache is queasy/crampy. No vomiting, but feel like need to or have diarrhea. Just going to rest today even though have lots to do.

Good thing that I do-keep in phone contact with friend at work. They call once a week and keep me updated as to what is happening and they send me cards.

D

• kimy
    kimy Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2008

Hi all,

Treatment started yesterday for me (TCH). Long day, but other than that, uneventful. I tolerated the Taxotere without any reaction, my nurse was very happy! Today I am working from home. Thank goodness for that. I have found a few times today that I just can't keep my eyes open. A quick 10 min nap and then I am fine. 

I started pre-treating myself with Senna and Colace on Tuesday, so no trouble w/ constipation, to which I am prone. Now I just need to keep a watchful eye on when to slow down on that, so as to not have it lead too far in the other direction!

I've been drinking a lot of water, keeping up with all the meds prescribed. I get my Neulasta shot tomorrow morning. Time will tell what the future brings.....

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2008

Hi again girls,

I am on day 9 waiting for my next appointment to resume  chemo. My surgeon tells me to not worry, that I am OK to wait, especially since I had such a weird situation happen with my Onc.

I buzzed my hair and actually feel OK with that. I have a friend who doesn't get why I talk about my hair so I quit talking to her about it and talk to my other friends. She never liked her hair...Oh well...I need positive reinforcement. I have no hair loss yet but this is my 9th day and it's almost time.

I will possibly not resume chemo until October second week. I have never ever worn a wig but It's turning cool here so maybe I will be able to tolerate one. I remember Samantha in SATC throwing her wig high in the air and all the other women taking off their wigs, but I think she had chemo during the warm months. It was a cool < 70  in NYC this morning when I went to see my PMD.

He held my hand and was very sweet about my crazy ONC. I will need to  drink more water this week and I hate water. arrrgh... The roof of my mouth is dry, tender and may be welcoming  the yeasties in. YUCK. I'm prone to yeast ...Diabetic...I just finished a  7 day course of Fluconazole  in May due to antibiotic ingestion for  my yucky chest.

Since my doctor never ever prescribed Neulasta or Neupogen for me, I am coasting  along without  them and will not go out to another movie for a while. My last WBC was 7,700. I've not had one drawn since July. If I get feverish I will have one done and take appropriate steps.

I went to see Burn After Reading tonight with my son and had a wonderful time laughing. My thoughts are with  everyone here :)

• Jane_M
    edited September 2008

I FINALLY saw the oncologist today.  I went in with a cautious attitude.  After the whole report fiasco and what it took to get the appointment, I wasn't sure I was going to like the oncologist.  I have never met the man and I pictured a little decrepit old man with a sour puss.  Well, he wasn't that.  He was actually very nice, very caring.  As insignificant as it may seem, one of the things that I noticed was that after I put that wonderful little paper gown on with the opening in the back, he grabbed a piece of tape and taped it closed in the back.  That actually made me feel like he saw me as a person.

So the plan is to start chemo on the 29th of September.  I will be getting Cytoxin alternating with Adriamycin every other week for 4 cycles of both (8 weeks).  After that, I will take Taxol every other week X 4 (another 8 weeks)  I will then get a month off and then start radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks. 

I am going to try to work as much as possible.  But we will have to see.

Have any of you tried driving yourself to and from your chemo appointments?

• LisaF
    LisaF Member Posts: 23
    edited September 2008

Hi Jane,

Wow, I think we are on the same treatment plan.  I'm getting what they call A/C and then Taxol also.  However, both Adriamycin and Cytoxin are going to be given on the same day.  Then after the 4 cyles along comes the Taxol.

I want to drive myself to and from the appts.  When I met with the "Chemo 101" nurse at my Cancer Center she said that they want someone to drive you home from the first A/C treatment, but after that it is fine.  However, the Taxol is a bit different as it goes longer and they give you drugs that may make you tired and thus hard to drive.

Can't wait to hear from others who have actually have experience!

Lisa 

• peeps1111
    peeps1111 Member Posts: 70
    edited September 2008

PEnTE:

Thanks for asking.  I posted in the TC part of the forum.  I, too, have the weirdest headache, front of my forehead,  but my dr. gave me Motrin and Vicadon.  I took the Motrin, but not much relief.  Laid down for a while and my heart was racing so I took some Xanax.  I am a walking drug store.  Tapered off the decadron to a half pill this morning (day 3), take Sennecot every night, took the Claritin too, plus all my regular meds.  I did have a productive day, went to order the wig, had lunch with a friend, took a walk with another friend and made some soup tonight.  No nausea yet, the onc said the nausea med in the IV with the chemo would last 3 days, then I have a prescription for Zofran and some other drug too.

Peeps

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited September 2008

Well, after my mini panic attact I left work early on wednesday took out of town, cried  a little screameda little, missed my mom a lot and then shopped a little and came home, slept VERY little and then got up and went Thursday for a 6 hr round of chemo. The first part is the FEC.Listened to the advice and took the ice slushie while they pushed the 5fu and can understand why because that one you can taste in the mouth. I have had nausea and a little diarreah. They let me bring the Neulasta shot home and I got it yesterday. I know that today will probably be the day.....I Have one more emend pill and also 2 other pills. The zofran is better at allowing me to rest. I am like a lot of you though I have a nagging headache that not much seems to help. I may try a Claritan to see if that helps. You do tend to feel like a walking medicine cabinet and when you add all the BP meds I take (4) it really seems that way...Anyway thanks for allowing me my meltdown. I know things haven't gotten as bad as they will yet but ONE DAY AT A TIME...Good luck to everyone...

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited September 2008

Hi Jane M and Lisa, I was told not to drive after chemo, they are very strong drugs both AC and TC and our reactions won't be what they should even if we feel alright. I must admit since I have had 7 doses of chemo, 6 x TC and 1 FAC so far.  I feel that I should be even more careful when crossing the road or in a car as there is no way I want these chemo months wasted!

I have found the TC experience very diffrent from the FAC, both doable, so if you have any specific questions, please ask. So glad you like your new dr Jane, he sounds lovely.

Take Care, Singapore Chris