Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008

Springtime

My onc said he will get me a voucher to get Emend for my next AC tx. yay!

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2008

Sam - that woman sounds plain rude. Good for you for giving her the 'what for'!

Brandonmom - what a sweet son!!

D - hope you are feeling better soon. Found anything to eat yet? I ate scrambled eggs several days this week when nothing sounded good. It's protein and for some reason (for me) I could actually taste them. Drink lots too hon!

Robin (((((((()))))))) try not to think too far ahead - sometimes just one day at a time is all we can do.

Theprettiest - (((((((())))))) to you too. Hope you feel better. Sorry about the spotting. Would you believe I started my full blown period on my traumatic treatment day? I thought periods were over for now!!

Jane - sorry about the tooth. Is it feeling better? Genia - hope you don't have a virus! How are you feeling? The shedding is a mess isn't it? Good luck w/ the buzz. Do you have any grey (your pic doesn't look like it and you look young young, so you probably don't!)? But, if you do, do like Juli and dye it first! I wish I had! Right now, I look like a grey, balding little old man!  You mentioned going to your SS office Monday - be sure to check to see if it's open - isn't Monday a holiday?

CJ - bless your heart! Can't imagine how you must be feeling. Big (((((((()))))))) to you!!

Sing - have fun at the party!

Juli - sorry you've had a time. Hope you are feeling better!!

Sorry for what I may have missed.  It's getting hard to keep up LOL.

Feel better soon to those who are puny! 

hugs,

Susan

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2008

Julie,

I think you will find the Emend a BIG help. Apparently I heard it is a "second level" anti nausea drug, so pretty darn good. I was just started off with it immediately -- and though I felt "green" sometimes, I never threw up! I hope the same for you!!

Also, I agree with Susan above, ONE DAY AT A TIME when it seems overwhelming....

Springtime

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited October 2008

genia,

My 26 year old daughter, with all her wisdom, said " mom, get the wig, you won't want to be a cancer billboard everyday. Some days you may want to just be you!"  So I took her advice, got the wig and some hats and scarves....for different moods.  It makes me feel not so sick all the time.  Hope you get the SSI thing fixed.

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2008

Robin = theprettiest

I just realized that I addressed you both ways in my post LOL - sorry - chemobrain!

Susan

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited October 2008

Sue508...I hear ya about the chemobrain! ((((()))))  What I "thought" was spotting was just a tease for what showed up this afternoon...dammit! I had all my girlie-gear zipped up tight in its bag underneath my sink, and I was looking forward to an eight month vacation from the crimson tide! 

Just got back from a movie...Nights in Rodanthe....mixed feelings about it...anyone else seen it?

Does anyone have a Procrit shot on their schedule? I was told today that I "may" have to have one on Wednesday, after all of my leukine shots...just feeling like a pincushion!

(((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))) to all of you!

Robin 

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2008

OK, my hair feels funny.  I haven't been able to keep a headband in all day.  It keeps slipping off.  It has just gone plop.  Even my daughter noticed it tonight.  When  I touch it, it feels softer than usual.  It probably means it will fall out in the  next couple of days.  Did this happen to anyone else?

• theprettiestmess
    edited October 2008

My hair/scalp felt tingly and sort of sore across the top of my head from ear to ear...it was in those places that I could pull out mass quantities of hair, and then my scalp wouldn't hurt as much anymore. I just couldn't WAIT to get my old, "sick" hair off of my head!

Robin 

• Jane_M
    edited October 2008

Robin - What day was that?  My 1st chemo was 9/29

• theprettiestmess
    edited October 2008

My hair started coming out on Day 13 after my first infusion...shaved it all off six days later, when I just couldn't stand finding my hair all over the place!

• Jane_M
    edited October 2008

My brother is a barber, so if it really starts coming out in the next couple of days, he'll shave it for me.  The last couple of days it felt like my hair roots actually hurt.

• Springtime
    edited October 2008

Hi Jane,

That hair root hurting thing lasted about 2 weeks for me. It sort of slowly went away. I didn't buzz my hair though, just got a really short cute pixie, and then it fell out. Mostly in the shower! 

Springtime

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2008

My hair started falling out in front on day 15.  By day 20 it was down to a mohawk and scalp felt tender. Day 21 I brushed the last of it out and went in for my wig fitting.  I love my wig! I invested in a special chemo hat wig which is lined in silicone (very soft, sticks like glue, stays cool) and the top is hand tied hair so gets a breeze through it. (I have a hot head so this was important) I can nap in the wig and leave it on all day long without noticing it. Soooooo glad I went for an upgrade in wigs, I am usually quite frugal!

My 17 year old daughter is having a hard time with my hair loss and keeps asking if I want to play with hers...then she bakes me chocolate chip cookies.

Monday I find out if the brain tumor is benign, I really think it is..thanks for your support and hugs!

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited October 2008

whew- miss a little while and lots of reading to catch up on...seems like the majority of us are buzzed or soon to be buzzed..

cjh- i will be thinking about you on Monday. keep us posted..sending you good vibes...

the second FEC kicked my butt this time. I am soooo tired and a little more green and a little more icky all around. Thank God for meds..I have been through them all and the nuelasta got me in the shoulders and nwck again...man what i woudn't give for a little leg pain or somewhere else!!!

The weather is sp nice here today..a little overcast but fall is in the air and it is crisp and cool. I hope i can get my tail in gear and go out and enjoy it a little today.

Have a great Sunday girls! and have a great week.

Good luck to those of you that are up this week.

• dblinch
    dblinch Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2008

Hello Ladys

dblinch here ,i 'm going for round 2 next week and i am wondering if side affects get worst each round , my dr said  they won't . but he also said hair might stop falling out , after being half bald ,i had a freind buzz it off with my husbands razer. it feels much better, it doesn't hurt or itch, my poor kids ( 7 &  4) still don't under stand. i STILL DON'T  GET IT EITHER  !!! I but i'm glade to say my husband seems to be more supportive. i'm on so must anti depressions and i still have days where i feel like i'm going crazy. does it ever get eaiser

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2008

Susan.....yes tomorrow is a holiday and they are closed.  So I will go on Tuesday.  That's ok......I can just stay home tomorrow.......lol

You all would have cracked up laughing at me last night.  I got my hair buzzed yesterday on my way to my mother in laws.  I wore my bandanna and ball cap to the beauty salon because that was the only way I could keep my hair from fallin on my shoulders.  After she buzzed it with one set of clippers........she used a smaller set to get it closer to my scalp.  The lady had tears in her eyes while she was buzzing my head.....I think it was harder on her than it was on me.

When she was done she rinsed my head......to get all the lose hair off.......sat me up........dried it off with a towel and put some baby powder on my head so I wouldn't get clipper burn.  I put my bandanna back on........and my ball cap........and gave her a hug and left.

Anyway........back to last night!   I tried to go to bed with nothing on my head.......but I got very cold.........and the bristles on my head were sticking to the pillow.  There was just no way I could sleep like that.  So I got back up and asked my MIL if she had anything I could sleep in.  She started thinking......and came up with a pair of pantie hose.....it was hilarious.  She put the pantie part on my head with the seems facing out......and cut the legs off.  They were silky pantie hose so my head slid right over the pillow.  And it was WARM.......I slept like a baby!  lol......

But I looked like something ELSE.......lolol

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.......hugs to you all!

Genia

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008

Genia

That is soooo funny! Good thing you don't sleep walk, especially to convenience stores!!!

• pottergal
    pottergal Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2008

i am getting ready for my 2nd chemo on tuesday. just a day after my birthday-great present! Laughing  i am on FEC. and i didn't have too bad a time with the SE.   hair began fall out on day 15. i take a pulsing shower each morning to rid myself of loose hair.  last tuesday on day13, onc called and said he had good news! chemo was really working-my neutros were down to zero.... so we had to cancel going out to dinner and/or movies. no public places or crowds for me till i get a bit of wbc in the system. neulasata shot on wed; this will be the day after the chemo. i wlll try to remember to take the claritin and hope it helps with the aches and pains.  could someone tell me why i should ask for it in the stomach.  can't they give it to me in my port or in the left (good side/site).  this choice of injection site is new to me, and i would like to see some reasons. 

• peeps1111
    peeps1111 Member Posts: 70
    edited October 2008

Hi:

I got that tip to get it in the stomach here, supposedly to avoid bone pain.  It worked for me both times, didn't hurt at all, just had the terrible headaches the next day and the day after.  I alternate vicodin and motrin for the headaches.

Peeps

• Springtime
    edited October 2008

Pottergal - I always got Neulast in my belly fat, just thought it would hurt less than the arm, and my bone pain was minimal, I never thought it was due to where the shot went though! That shot can't go in the port for whatever reason. I guess they don't want it straigt into your blood stream... but through your skin/fat. 

Genia - the pantyhose thing cracked me up!  You must have looked like a bandit! :) 

I get Taxol #2 tomorrow... I hope it is the same as T#1 - just had some aches and pains on days 2-3 but nothing really bad.... (fingers crossed). I hear you can get "tingling' in hands/feet fingers/toes (neuropathy?) and that something called L-Glutamine can help. Has anyone every heard of this?

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited October 2008

Hi Girls,

Dblinch, welcome and for me nothing got worse, everything got better each time, so stay positive and it will get easier and you will be alright!Smile

Gina, that is so funny, you did have me laughing out loud!

Good luck to all who have treatment this week.

Singapore Chris  

• Genia
    edited October 2008

Yes Juli....thank God I don't sleep walk!

Spring......I looked like an IDIOT......but guess what........I didn't CARE......it was warm and my head didn't freeze.  Can't sleep with a freezing head.......lol  Good luck with your Taxol tomorrow......

Gonna have to invest in a sleep cap of somesort.....  Laughing 

• Jane_M
    edited October 2008

Genia - Love the new pic!

Everything tastes yucky, but have any of you had any cravings?  I keep wanting hot dogs.  Hot dogs - of all things@! 

• cjh
    cjh Member Posts: 27
    edited October 2008

I crave shrimp and walnuts round the clock!  I heard both may be good for chemo patients...wonder what is in the hot dogs that your body wants??

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited October 2008

You guys crack me up!!! Pantyhose to keep your head warm??? I just snuggled closer to the dog! But I will say my head is cold,even with my fuzz.

Claritin worked well for me. I had my shot in  my arm,took Claritin and Tylenol. Today felt achy but thinkit wasjust the chemo. No diarrhea this time, only bad abdominal cramping. Always something!

Went with son to take driver's test. He wants to 'help me out when I don't feel good'.He does come up with good ones!

Cravings-hotdogs too! Fried chicken and BBQ ribs. What do you thinkit means? More protein needed? I have drank more milk this time around

DH made me breakfast this AM- he made me 3 pieces bacon, 2 scrambled eggs, and 2 pieces of toast. Not sure who he thought he was feeding,but gesture was nice. (Dogs enjoyed it). Then canned soup for dinner (I only like certain soups, most canned soup is too salty for me) I did eat half of it, so I did try.

Hope everyone has a good week with few SE's

D

• woorus
    woorus Member Posts: 20
    edited October 2008

cjh - Praying and thinking of you as you get your results.

Brandonmom - you have a wonderful son.

Susan - when I mentioned the rude gawking incident, someone told me that it could be due to a misconception because, some people wrongly believe that cancer is contagious! so they stare because they think i am inconsiderate for going out in public. i was quite taken aback when i heard that. hmmm - live & learn...

3rd AC today. Wearing my pump now for 72 hours. No SEs so far. fingers crossed.

All the best to everyone going in for chemo this week!

Sam

• Genia
    edited October 2008

D......keep in mind, the crotch was on the top of my head and the legs were cut off and stickin up like bunny ears........Cool

I was just WAY cool........think I could start a new fashion trend???  hehe 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited October 2008

Hi Girls,

Sam, glad your 3rd chemo went well today, I am looking forward to meeting you in person on Thursday.

Genia, you look great, you have a very pretty face and a very cool baseball cap.Kiss

I haven't had any cravings, but I did have a stomach ache today, but I am sure it was due to me being naughty and eating toffees at lunch time. (lots).  I am getting fed up eating only healthy food, also just had some apple pie! I thought a little of what you fancy does you goodInnocent

I will try harder tomorrow. Take care girls

Singapore Chris

• Genia
    edited October 2008

Thank you Chris.......when I look at me with no hair...all I see are EYES!!!  I feel like the head with the eyeballs.......lolol

Are we NOT supposed to eat sweets or something???  Heck......THAT'S all that has tasted good to me until this past week.  It was the only thing I could eat that didn't taste bitter............lol

• theprettiestmess
    edited October 2008

I agree! Genia, your eyes are beautiful! That's the first thing that the ladies said when my hair was being shaved off....that my eyes were just so huge and pretty! Show 'em off, girl! 

If you have an old turtleneck, you can use the neck part as a sleep cap...just sew up the edges that were cut off from the body of the shirt. It's soft and warm...