Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited October 2008

Juli-

I take Emend the day of and for 2 days after and I also get the Kytril in my IV.  It works pretty good for me.

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited October 2008

Jane - They gave me Emend today and for 2 days after, but said to also take the Kyrtil every 12 hours for 3-4 days.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2008

Juli50,

I would take Emend, then Kytril after, but that's because they gave me IV Kytril and it supposedly lasted for 3 days....

One thing, I found the antinausea drugs really CONSTIPATED me! I was hoping for the opposite! But I never go that way!

Spring.

• Juli50
    edited November 2008

Spring - Me too with the Kytril! I can't imagine how constipated I will be taking both meds!

• Jane_M
    edited November 2008

Chnaged my avatar for halloween

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited November 2008

jane- i like it! We have to have something to smile about these days!

I knew today would be the day- Neulasta yesterday and i woke up really GREEN this am for some reason. Took the emend and the compazine may have to do zofran too....It has been a long morning and it does not seem to be 12 but 3 or 4...grandkids have been WILD this am...

Anyway I hope the rest of you have a good weekend..I am hoping to take a good nap and be ready for the Ga-Fla game this afternoon.

take care ladies.

Lisa

• Juli50
    edited November 2008

Jane - That is hilarious!!! I love it! Laughing

No vomiting on my first night of AC #3. Hooray! Must be the Emend working. Smile

Lisa - Hope you feel less green real soon!

Hugs to all this 1st day of November!

• Springtime
    edited November 2008

Juli

Great, EMEND ROCKS!!!

If any of you get constipated from the anti-nausea, I suggest Myrilax a few days ahead of chemo. Also, I had to add Senekot S the day of and a few days after.

I can't wait for my "bottom" to get back to "normal". I am assuming this might happen after my last chemo 11/10. I am looking forward to 2009 with a "better butt" !! ha!

• Jane_M
    edited November 2008

Let's see....I was diagnosed August 15, and my husband FINALLY opened up to me this morning.  It only took 2 1/2 months.  As all of you said when I was upset because he didn't want to hear about cancer anymore, he is frustrated.  He wants to be able to fix this and he can't.  He doesn't know what to do or what not to do.  He's used to being able to fix just about anything.  He can fix a car, he can fix a plugged drain....but he can't fix this.  He said he's not afraid. He believes everything will be ok, but he would just like to be able to take my pain away.  I think that, if he could, he would rather it be him.  I know that is how I would feel.  I already feel bad about all of the sacrifices my family has had to make in the last two months....and not just my family.  The people I work with have to pick up my slack and that makes their jobs harder.  People at church are constantly bringing me food.  The people who work at my second job had to wait an extra day for their pay checks last week because I was in the hospital and I have no back up. 

I guess for us, from now on "normal" is just a setting on the dryer.

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited November 2008

Maybe I need some Emends......my poor bowels go the OTHER direction.......ugh!!!

Lisa....hang in there girlfriend.  The NeuBlasta shot will be outta your system in a few days. 

Jane......I cracked up when I saw your head......lolol.  Glad ya got things talked out with your husband.   You are right......they don't know now to handle things.  They want us better......and it's hard when they can't make that happen for us!  My husband is the same way......he just gets so frustrated.   He has TOLD me he would rather it be him.......

Juli.......glad you didn't get sick sweetie.  I sure hope my next round is better than the last one was!

hugs

• Springtime
    edited November 2008

Genia,

You and I should switch our bowels!!! At least for a break!! ah, if only...

Jane, 

It is hard on the DH's, isn't it? I have a wonderful husband, but I am giving him a wide berth. This is hard on everyone. I used to think he shoudl be doing some things around the house, and a friend of mine told me to lay off. Just sit and hold hands. She was right! She even suggested making out!!!!   :) 

Springtime

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited November 2008

Hey Spring maybe we should check into that.......mine are just getting back to normal.  Just in time for Weds chemo.....yippie!!!!  lol

Making out.........what is THAT????   lolol.......just kidding.....that was my chemopause talkin.....just ignore her!!!!  

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2008

Susan, I meant to tell you (but I've had a rough few days again) that the LGFB class will be just fine later.  It isn't something that you will find helpful only now, but even after chemo.  I actually think that I had mine way too close to my diagnosis and lumpectomy and I wasn't ready to hear all of that just then.

For those who were interested in getting something in the mail, check out www.chemoangels.com (I think I have that right), I haven't used it myself but it may be worth checking into.

Also, for those who would rather not put their mailing address out there for everyone to see, maybe you could send a pm to someone who would be willing to collect the addresses, and then distribute them to those who are interested.   Just a thought.

Chris 

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited November 2008

Hi girls,

Good Idea Chris, about the addresses, it would save a lot of time.  I have more chemo tuesday so don't want to volunteer at the moment. I am dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time, I am sure you all know what I mean.  Let's just get it over!  After Tuesday I would have done 9 out of 10. Now that sounds goodKiss 

My eyelashes and eyebrows are really growing back well now, I feel like I should rush out and buy a spare mascara, just in case I run out!

For those of you moving on to TC after your AC, I found that with AC I feel nauseous every day, just a little, but enough to make me hate it! AC hasn't affected my nails, which are growing back a little better now. With the Taxotere and Cyclo, I had absolutley no nausea at all, but extreme fatigue on days 4 and 5. TC was also pretty bad for my nails, but took a long time to show, I just covered them up with a pretty nails varnish after a while and people thing they look great!

I love the Hat Juli and the head Jane!

Take Care

Singapore Chris

• Juli50
    edited November 2008
    Singapore Chris - Does TC affect the taste buds like AC? Yell
  • Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2008

hi gals,

Oh my....TC #3 knocked me for a loop.  I am just now starting to feel better.  I don't even want to think about treatment 4 ugh. 

Juli - I can answer that taste question.  Everything tastes horrible right now.  My tongue feels burned...

Chris - tks for the info on the LGFB class. 

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.

Susan

• peeps1111
    peeps1111 Member Posts: 70
    edited November 2008

Sue:

Sorry you had a rough time.  I am on day  on TC and the headache is the worst for me.  The taste thing is a pain, just keep a watch on your mouth and throat so you don't get thrush/yeast infection.  That makes everything taste even worse.  I got that with the first two TCs so now I have two prescriptions if it happens again.  Lemonade tastes ok to me for a drink.  I use Countrytime.  Try to drink tea at night, water and milk just taste bad. 

Peeps

• Springtime
    edited November 2008

Hi All,

I think days 4-5 were the worst for me on AC and also Taxol. Today is day 7, and I am finally not feeling so achy in muscles and joints. I have been walking anyway, and it does seem worse later in the day. 

Genia,
    I know what you mean! I feel like I can finally start weaning myself off stool softeners, but I have my next (and last, yay!) chemo a week from tomorrow! It's like you just start getting back to "normal" and it starts all over again.

After the last chemo, I will have surgery on Dec 2nd. That's a three week break. Yipee! (wow, 3 weeks!!) then after surery I have no idea how long "off" until Rads start. I feel like my poor body wants a BREAK!! 

Whine whine, moan moan. ((Maybe I should go to the "bitch and moan" board! ha!)

Fondly to all, Spring...

• Sue508
    Sue508 Member Posts: 81
    edited November 2008

thanks peeps - I think I do have thrush again.  I had it with tx 1 but not tx 2.  Maybe that's why everything tastes so bad.  I think my dh is tired of my gripes....

I'll call the doc tomorrow.

Susan

• bar62
    bar62 Member Posts: 221
    edited November 2008

{{{{Priz, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.}}}}} Sending you love and strength while I carry you in my thoughts and prayers.

{{{{{Jane,}}}}} I'm so sorry you had such an incompetent dentist. What a maroon. My onc  ordered no dental procedures until Chemo is completes, no matter what, unless I need a tooth extraction. No drill is his mantra. Your dentist is in big big  trouble. Happy to read that you're recovering at home.

I want so badly to post to everyone...my laptop is next to me and I am too tired most times to lift the lid. arrrrrgh. Politics is about the only thing that can get me going and  not for long.:(

My white count was 1.5 last Thursday with no booster...insurance stuff...arrrgh... so I hope I will be able to have my chemo this Friday.  The count should start its climb upwards this week...fingers crossed.

My fingernail beds are 50% discolored and I've only had two A/C treatments so I am wearing  Maybelline nail enamel. I  absolutely hate nail polish unless I'm going out. I thought Taxol was the nail killer. My onc says it's the chemo that caused my nail discoloration, so I choose to think it's really working well in my body. I've had chemo before though not nearly as strong as these treatments for my Rheumatoid and it worked so fingers xxed this is working too.

love and hugs to everyone

Mina

• Jane_M
    edited November 2008

Does anybody know if chemo affects the eyes?  I wear glasses but lately I've been having trouble reading with them.  They still work for distance, but I have to look over the top of them to read.

• Juli50
    edited November 2008

Jane - from Chemocare.com...

Eye problems can occur for a variety of reasons. 

In some cases, anti-cancer medications and medications used to reduce side effects may contribute to the development of some eye problems. Cataracts, dry eye syndrome, and chemo itchy eyes are some examples of eye problems resulting from cancer treatments

Cool

• Lili46
    Lili46 Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2008

Hi all...

Jane-Chemo can affect the eyes. It can make wearing contact lenses painful, clog your tear ducts which can cause blurry vision and can cause your eyes to water more than usual. I haven't had trouble with my vision but my eyes have been tearing all week. I'm on TC. I must have rubbed them at some point or been around someone with pink eye because I have a nice case of pink eye in my left eye today. I'm guessing my WBC's might be low too which probably didn't help any. If it's not one thing....

• Jane_M
    edited November 2008

Hopeful Chris,

Thank you for the chemo angel web site.  I put in an application and I hope it is accepted.  From what I read, in order to make sure everyone gets the personal attention they deserve, they don't accept more patients than they have angels for.  It sounds like such a wonderful program that, hopefully, someday I will graduate from patient to Angel.

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2008

Hey girls!  Since I did the the orginal list, I wouldn't mind handling the address list as well.   If, that would be okay with everyone?   I know I for one would love to send each and every one of you a card at the very least!   

I'm two weeks out from my last tx, so am actually beginning to feel somewhat normal again. :)  I actually have a bit of energy!  Whoo!

Let me know what you ladies think about the list idea.

Much love,

L

• Springtime
    edited November 2008

Jane,

My eyes got all like Gloppy and hard to focus. They cleared up mostly after I stopped the AC. The ONC said it was from the chemo. I am much better now...

Spring.

• Juli50
    edited November 2008
    Tanzie - Thanks for offering to keep the list. I will PM my address to you. Kiss
  • Jane_M
    edited November 2008

Spring-

That is how mine feel.  There were two days last week when they burned a lot and now I am having a hard time focusing.  I have 2 more AC to go, so hopefully they will clear up like yours did.

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2008

WOW Ladies, You are all so much help.  I read the posts everyday, but just can't seem to write.  I have my last AC on Thurs.....not looking forward to it....then Taxol x10.  Everything you talk about is so helpful.  From bowels, to eyes, to upset tummies.  It all helps us know we are not abnormal, these meds are strong and do awfull things to our bodies.  You are all a blessing, thanks so much for sharing.  You have helped me a bunch. 

Thanks for the info on eyes, I was wondering if I was going crazy!  I work two jobs, both as a medical biller on a computer.  It's pretty hard to write to you all after work each, day but I haven't missed a day yet !!!   Thanks again for all the encouragement and insight.

• Juli50
    edited November 2008
    Day 3 of 3rd AC tx and I did some christmas shopping for my niece and nephew and my cousin's little ones. You were right Springtime... Emend rocks! Laughing