Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Chemo in Sept 08

Comments

• SingaporeChris
    SingaporeChris Member Posts: 460
    edited November 2008

Hi Girls

Genia, so sorry to year about your poor doggy, you whole family just feel awful, I know we all would.  We have just found a lump on the leg of our labrador and he goes in for surgrey on saturday, they will take off the lump, send it to the lab and we have to wait 10 days to hear what is was.  Of course we are hoping he hasn't come out in sympathy with me. Thing of something nice you could to for your poor doggy, a ceremony of some kind, make up an album with all his photo in it, write him a poem anything to get your feelings out. Feel so bad for you. xx

Had my penultimate chemo yesterday, only one more round to go, can't wait to get this over with, good luck to you all.

Singapore Chris

• Wink
    Wink Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2008

Genia - I am so sorry about your dog - my dogs are my surrogate children - I'd be devastated if one of them got hit by a car.

I had a bi-lateral mastectomy on Aug 18th and was able to go back to work on Aug 25th.  I really had to fight with my surgeon to get him to remove unaffected breast - but I held my guns and got what I wanted!  I do not regret my decision.  I'll tell you what, in my experience, surgery was a piece of cake compared to chemo!  The big "but" to all of this is, even though both breasts are gone, the cancer can still recur - so we must be diligent in follow-up testing.

My co-pay for Emend was also $50; but the full price was $408.  Three pills; unbelievable. But like ango74 said, I'd be afraid not to take it. 

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2008

Wow, I did not know Emend was that much.  My dr gave me an rx for Zofran but said not to fill it unless I need it as it is very expensive.....sooooo I called Costco.  It used to be $500.00 for a 20 day dose, but since it has gone generic, I paid $30.00 for 20 days.....it is the best stuff in the world.  I have had no nausea and no vomiting as long as I take it.  The only bad thing.....constipation !!!!  Yuck, but it is worth it....If you can't afford the Emend ask your Dr about generic Zofran.

• Jane_M
    Jane_M Member Posts: 932
    edited November 2008

Oh, Genia...I am so sorry.  I can't imagine.  I agree - when is enough enough?

• Juli50
    Juli50 Member Posts: 652
    edited November 2008

Genia - big hugs to you, Sweetie! What an awful day! Kiss

I took Emend for 3 days, Decadron for 4 days and came crashing down today. My tongue and throat hurts and I'm soooo tired. The acupuncturist said he can't help the hot flashes until I am done with chemo, but he can help with energy level... we'll see.

Trude - I'll be sure to ask about Zofran.

• SingaporeChris
    edited November 2008

Hope everyone is doing well, I feel a bit nauseous today and will until Sunday morning when I finish my chemo pills, the only thing I can do is keep busy, even the Emend does't help.

Stay strong girls, we will get there.

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited November 2008

genia- so sorry about your dog- it is so hard to lose our cherished pets! My thoughts are with you.

I haven't started getting the bills for the meds yet- so far the only ones i have had to pay for the co-pay on was the zofran and compazine and it wasn't so bad and i also pay a co-pay for the emend every three weeks. They dispense out of my onco's office and the co-pay on the emend is 47.00 but to me worth every penny. There are alot of bills i haven't seen yet but the ones i have are piling up and it is really stressing me out to see them all..with this economy and raising two grandkids i fear we will be declaring bankruptcy before it is all through. Add to that traveling an hour to get there for treatment...when it gets to rads the gas alone will be a major factor. I have a friend here that said when she was going through chemo each treatment was 6K that was at least 6 yrs ago and i think someone told me to expect at least 8K per treatment now.

Sorry to be a wet rag this AM i have been really down since my last treatment and i think there are alot of things contributing..I am so sick of this disease!!! It robs so much from you. Last night when i couldn't sleep i really contemplated how bad things would really be if i just said enough and decided to love my life feeling good for as long as i could and just making do with whatever time i have left. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!!!

• Genia
    Genia Member Posts: 1,055
    edited November 2008

Bettysgirl......I was just getting to head out for my treatment.....but couldn't go without posting this first.

I've been right where you are now.  And I too have contemplated NOT doing the chemo.  But if you don't do it......you have no chance of survival.  With the chemo.......you do have a chance of living a normal healthy life.  It's hard going through it.  But the outcome can be so much better than if we do nothing.  I was told without chemo........there was no chance of survival.  With it.......I stand a chance of beating it.  

So that's what I'm banking on.........the END result.  Not what I'm goin through now.

Hugs sweetie.........and we CAN do this!!!!!

Genia

• Genia
    edited November 2008

Thanks for all the well wishes as far as my dog is concerned.  I cried most of the day yesterday.......and I miss her like crazy.  I had to put her food bowl and water bowl away yesterday and just about had a breakdown. 

It is hard to lose an animal you are that attached to.  Especially now.  She knew I was sick.....and would lay at my feet or sit by me most all the time.  Then I start the blame game and say.......if I hadn't let her out........she would still be alive.   But I know that is stupid......she had to go to the bathroom.  Still hard tho........

Hugs.......and thanks again

Genia

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2008

Genia,

So sorry!!! :((

Girls, the EMend is worth it. I took for three days in a row, one eacy norning

• Juli50
    edited November 2008

Turns out I have thrush. The doctor gave me Diflucan. The nurse wanted to take a picture of my tongue..."Wow! Classic case of Thrush, no doubt about it!"

Then she gave me a free 3-day supply of Emend for my next tx. Yay!!! Laughing

• Tanzie
    Tanzie Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2008

Aww, Genia--  I hated to hear that you lost your FurryGirl. :(   Pets wind their way into our hearts and it can be so devastating when we lose them!  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Blerghs on the thrush, Juli!   I was so lucky and missed out on that sweet little SE.

Sorry to hear that you feel a little green around the gills right now, Chris.  I hope that this post finds you feeling better!

I had Emend every treatment and it was worth it!   Thank God, we'd met our deductable by the time I needed it and our insurance paid it all.   Otherwise, we'd be the ones shucking out 327 every two weeks!  (Our insurance is all or nothing on drugs.)  I was also given a compazine (sp is incorrect, I know..) and for my last tx zofran.  I'm not sure which of them helped me the most.

Much love!

• BrandonMom
    BrandonMom Member Posts: 209
    edited November 2008

Juli!  FREE 3 DAY SUPPLY!!!  Woo hoo!!!

I'm having a break in chemo to do the surgery.  Taxol is on hold until I'm done with surgery.  Both my onc, and my originally skeptical surgeon agree it is time.  They both thought I got a "tremendous" response from the AC. 

• Tanzie
    edited November 2008

BrandonMom-- When is your surgery date?  I wish you the best of luck with it!

• SingaporeChris
    edited November 2008

Bettysgirl, you hang in there, it will all be alright in the end, you will see!

It's only natural to feel really down sometimes, because what we are going through IS AWFUL, no matter how positive we try to stay, it is not easy! 

Ask for help from anyone you feel comfortable with and let them know how you feel, so they can help you. Get on this forum and post EVERY DAY with all the nasty details and get them out of your system, we will never get fed up of hearing about them whether they are side effects, emotional feelings or money problems. Send your address to Tanzie and we will send you cards to cheer you up!Smile   Now you take care and treat yourself to something special and the sun will shine on you for a long long long time yet! 

Singapore Chris x

• SingaporeChris
    edited November 2008

Hi Girls,

I just wanted to say, that now I only have one round of treatment left and the end is in sight, it still seems a long way to go!  Now how stupid is that. I have done chemo for 9 rounds and have 1 more to go!

I have been moaning about how green I feel on a daily basis and somehow stretching it out.  This of course has made me feel even greener. I have decided that from this moment onwards I will not say "I Feel Sick" one more time!  I will say, "I feel good today" instead.  Let's see how far I can go with the positive thinking!

Remember our body will believe whatever we tell it, so let's make sure we are saying the right things! 

Hugs to everyone, especially Genia.

Singapore Chris

• Imasurvivor
    Imasurvivor Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2008

Genia, so sorry about your dog.  What a sad thing to happen right now.  I now this info will be too late for you gals, but perhaps if you have sisters or daughters at risk for cancer it might help them.  I took out a cancer policy 1 year ago when my mother got her breast cancer diagnosis.  It is the one with a duck for a mascot.  They have paid me $5000 for having cancer, $300 per chemo, $500 a month for neulasta, a surgery fee, anesthesia fee, and so much for a second opinion.  They pay 50 cents a mile for anything over 50 miles, hotel if you have to stay overnight, and something for a partial mastectomy.  My first check was close to $10,000.  They will pay me $300 each day I have radiation and I am having 33 of them.  It has been a godsend as I am self-employed and haven't been able to keep up my schedule and have had to hire some help.  Being the procrastinator I am, I failed to cancel a smaller cancer policy I'd had for 8 years and they have paid me $3000 so far.  Other than my deductible, my private health insurance has paid all but $290.  My heart goes out to those of you that have to worry about money or forego medications because of the cost.  I am single and don't know what I would have done as my income is the sole support.  Tomorrow is my last chemo!!  Good luck to you all.

• theprettiestmess
    theprettiestmess Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2008

Hey girls, I'm sorry I haven't been posting, much less online the last week...I've spent most of it in CCU because my stupid heartrate is back up to 135bpm even after the tail of my port was backed up 3 1/2 inches. It's a long story, too long to post here, but it's all on my blog (thanks to my daughter). So, if you are interested, the link is www.theprettiestmess.blogspot.com

Genia...gosh, girl... I can't express how sorry I am about your dog...please accept my sincere condolences...

Congratulations to everyone that's finishing up chemo...Me? I still have 13 more treatments to go!

Iowagirl...I'm glad that AFLAC is paying out so much! That IS a godsend!

For all that are taking Emend... That's a Godsend, too! I would be afraid of what would happen if I didn't take it! I'm on state insurance, so my copay for the Emend is $3.00...I feel so bad for everyone that's got these outrageous copays and deductibles... 

Bettysgirl...see if your church family will help out with the driving to and from your chemo and rads... my chemo is only 20 minutes away, but my rads are over an hour away, so my church family already has a list of people that are willing to take me when it's time. Just a thought, honey...hang in there... I've been bawling at the drop of a hat for the last week...emotional tears are healing tears...so go ahead and have a really good cry and know that I'm crying along with you! 

• Juli50
    edited November 2008

Singapore Chris and Iowagirl - Congrats on 1 more to go!!! Laughing

I have 13 more like Prettiestmess, and AC #3 has been kicking my butt the last couple days. Yell

Hugs to all! Kiss

• trudecox
    trudecox Member Posts: 143
    edited November 2008

Hi ladies,

I am off for AC#4, last one ......Yeah!!!   It just seems harder each time I have to go.  The anticipation of the few days after are terrible.  I have 3 weeks off, then TX#10...every week.  This is all so hard to deal with.  I still haven't had surger, that is after all the chemo.  Hopefully the TX will be easier.    I will be glad to at least get all the chemo behind me.  Anxiety and depression are the hardest part.  When you are tired and can't do much the mind plays lots of bad games on you.  We have to try our best to keep up the spirits...

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited November 2008

Trude,

You are going to be done with AC, YES??? YIPPEE!!! wooo hooo!!!

Genia,

are you there?? Hope all is okay...

Like Sing.Chris and Lowagirl, I too have ONE MORE TO GO!! On Monday!!! My last Taxol. No bruses in any nail beds yet.... I will have three weeks off then a huge surgery out of state in early Dec...

I just got the PM from Tanzie with the addresses!!! :) it made me smile. 

Spring. Hope all are finishing up the week okay! 

• Genia
    edited November 2008

I'm here Spring.  Made it through round 3. 

Got my NeuBlasta shot today...joy joy!!!  Can't wait for those SE's to kick in tomorrow.  I'm armed tho......got my advil and my claritan.  Not that it really helps but maybe......just maybe it will this time. 

I'm also on an antibiotic because my stupid port is oozing again.........I can't WAIT to get this thing out of there.  I just need it to hold up for 3 more rounds.....then I'm having them take it out.  IF I need another one put back in......they can use a different kind and move it up on my chest instead of between my boobs. 

Well heck I won't have any boobs then......what am I talking about.......lol.

I had another breakdown over my dog last night.......God it's so lonesome without her.  She was the clown of the family........always doin something silly to make us laugh!!! 

That's about it........so if you don't see me around much you will know that dang shot is kickin my butt again!!!

Never fear......I'll be back when I can!

hugsssss

• priz47
    priz47 Member Posts: 161
    edited November 2008

Hi! I am back! Flew back late Tuesday eve and had chemo Wed am. Felt awful by afternoon and took my Zofran and then Compazine 2hrs later. I had taken my Emend that morning (it is worth the money to me) Took more before bedtime and slept well. Feel Ok today. Did go for my Neulesta shot today.

Long week for me and one of the hardest things I have done was go through some of my mom's stuff. My Dad is going to come  and visit for awhile. He cannot bear to go through the house where my mom died. I hope he stays for awhile and isn't toostresed. My Dad is blind, so new environments are scary for him.

Hope everyone is doing well. Genia-so sorry abt your dog! I know how hard it is to lose a companion and friend like that!

D

• SingaporeChris
    edited November 2008

Robin, Ihave just read your blog, sounds like a nightmare, you rest and take care, we are all thinking of you and wishing you well.

Singapore Chris xxx

• bettysgirl
    bettysgirl Member Posts: 645
    edited November 2008

priz- glad to hear from you. My thoughts are with you because i know going through my moms stuff was sooo hard. You tend to keep stuff initially then later you thin it out and think what was I thinking??? Allow yourself that latitude. I hope you visit with you dad is good.

Everybody have a great weekend!

Lisa/Bettysgirl

• Tanzie
    edited November 2008

Genia--{{{{hugs}}}}  Hurry back, chick!

Robin-- I read your blog too.  You've really had an awful time of it!  I am so glad you are out of the hospital and feeling up to posting a bit.  As Chris said, you take care of yourself!  Hopefully they will get your heart issues figured out fast and you'll be back on track soon.  Hang in there!

priz-- Again, so sorry about your mom. Going through her things had to of been so hard. I'm thinking of you and sending up some prayers for you and your dad.

Today is my birthday! Whoo... 38.  It's been a doozey of a year.

Much love,

Lei aka Tanzie

• Tanzie
    edited November 2008

Oh yeah!  Had an appointment with my surgeon on Wed, and he mentioned that later we would set up my mammos..

I was like, "Wha??"    I've had a double mast.... I didn't think they did mammos on reconstructed breasts?    Does anyone here know?   I guess I need to do some more studying on the subject..

Laters!

• Juli50
    edited November 2008
    Happy Birthday hugs to Tanzie!!!! Kiss
  • Genia
    edited November 2008

Priz....I know exactly how you feel sweetie.  I had to do the same thing when my mom died and it's hard.  I will be thinking of you and your dad.......hang in there it will get a little easier as time goes on.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEI!!  Hope you have a wonderful day sweetie!

I'm feeling decent so far.  I'm drinking so much water I think I'm bout ready to float....lol.  Just hoping I can flush all this crap out of my system before it has time to do any damage (SE's). 

Hugs to you all.......you girls mean the world to me

• hopefullady
    hopefullady Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2008

Happy Birthday to Tanzie!

Chris