Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

PORT PLACEMENT - Detailed description of process

Options

Comments

• CarylC
    CarylC Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks for the picture!  Mine looks just like that too, except it is up higher.  People have asked me if I have a cyst, which makes me always want to say "I wish!"

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited May 2011
    Options

After mine was placed I told my husband that the docs couldn't make up their minds. First they said, "You have a lump. We will do surgery and take it out". Then they said, "You don't have a lump. We will do surgery and put one in".

Leah

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391
    edited May 2011
    Options

I have had people stare at mine but don't say a word. My 22 year old looked at it and jokingly told me I need to tattoo it brown, put a hair in it and call it a mole. Nice kid eh? Lol

• SheriBell
    SheriBell Member Posts: 32
    edited May 2011
    Options

Just had my port put in today.  It is the power port.  My whole neck area hurts but was glad to read that it feels better in a day or two.  Thanks for all you that have posted.  It really helped me just now because of the pain I started surfing thru this thread.  I feel better with the knowledge I just gained.  thanks again!

• Jamie30
    Jamie30 Member Posts: 17
    edited June 2011
    Options

I am so glad I found this.  I am waiting to hear if they are going to do chemo or not but I was told that I would def need a port because noone can seem to get my veins in the first 3 or so tries.  I have been really nervous about this.  Thanks for posting it.  BTW< can you go swimming after it is healed or not?

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi Jamie,

I have a Bard Power Port and my surgeon said it would be fine to go swimming after everything healed. 

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2011
    Options

I am getting my port tomorrow, I was told today that they want to do chemo before surgery, as my MRI showed a much larger mass than the mammo and ultrasound showed, and it showed some swelling in the lymph nodes :(

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi, rabbit ~ I had chemo before surgery, too due to being Grade 3 like you.  I found it very interesting to get to see the tumor respond to treatment by getting so much smaller and softer. 

Best wishes to you! Smile
    Artemis

• rabbit
    rabbit Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2011
    Options

wow, the port is a bit painful, I've been popping percocets like crazy. I am so stiff in top left side of my body, shoulder blade area. How long does it take to start to "not really notice it"? I heard people saying they can swim with it etc. everytime I lift my left hand I can feel it...

I'm sure it gets less painful and easier with time.

I see the oncologist Wed. to get my chemo schedule and find out more of what exact drugs I'll be taking...

Artemis, how are you doing now? I am waiting on the BRAC gene test to decide if I want double mastectomy or not, I know surgery is 4-6 months down the road now and I hope I get to see my tumor shrink too!!  

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2011
    Options

rabbit ~ my arm hurt like the devil when I got my port.  It was nearly two weeks before it began to feel normal and even longer than that before I started not noticing it; I think I've posted in this thread that the very thought of the port would make me sick and dizzy.  But during those two weeks, I started chemo plus I had the Neulasta shot which I found out later could cause arm pain.  So who knows what the actual pain was from...???

ANYway, I love my port and even though I finished Herceptin ten months ago, I still have it.  It's great for blood draws and for the injections you need for CT/PET/bone scans or whatever.

I'm doing just fine, thanks.  I've been NED (no evidence of disease) for two years now, and I hope to stay that way for a very long time!  :-)

Good luck on your decision about surgery.  

Artemis

• CrimsonQ66
    CrimsonQ66 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    Options

Bluedasher: you just made me feel so much better. I got my port on Zfriday. The procedure was a walk in the park. That is until I woke up on Saturday morning going " OWWWWEEE". Even opening my mouth wide set the ache in motion. Yesterday was my first relatively ache-free day. I had my first chemo today. They had a hard time getting the needle in because of the swelling on top. Should be better next round. I'm still glad I got the port--I like my veins just the way they are

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited June 2011
    Options

CrimsonQ66: did you use lidocaine to numb tha area around the port prior to them sticking a needle in it? I didn't the first time and it was very painful. But ever after that I would apply a blob of lidocaine on the area before leaving the house for the chemo appt. I would cover it will a scrap of clingwrap to prevent the lidocaine from rubbing off.

• CrimsonQ66
    CrimsonQ66 Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    Options

I didnt apply lidocaine, but the nurse did spray a numbing spray on it. I think that will do the trick.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited May 2017
    Options

I believe in ports---Ports were developed because chemo does extensive damage to smaller veins--------the port allows the toxic drugs to be entered into a large vein that allows more dilution-------thus less damage to the vascular tissue. The port can allow for administering fluids also. If you have a Power Port-- Labs, contrast dye, and MRI can be done.

If you have had any LND that leaves you one arm, bilateral LND leaves you leg access only, bummer because that's highly dangerous for the development of clots.

You have one arm for the rest of your life, for IV access for blood draws and anesthesia. Your doc decides you don't need a port for chemo. Chemo fries smaller veins, may not be evident at first, but in the long haul, you have no upper arm veins. THis could have been avoided by a port

I was recommended to have neoadjuvant therapy ---4 courses--------my doc refused to put in a port----supported by Onc

MY husband dx'd 3 months behind me, was immediately given a port.....didn't even have to ask.

What was the difference? We or the doc's at the time had no idea of out come for either of us. He was to have six chemo's. Type of chemo? The only guess I had at the time was, we had different docs. I was unhappy, since we went through it at the same time, everything done for my Dh was contrary for what was done for me. This is the first time I'm saying that--------------. I did change Onc's and am prepared to ask for a port if there is a next time

The first and only chemo access for me ---was three chemo certified nurses with five attempts. AND b/c they ended up with a site lower than 2 of the higher site punctures, some chemo leaked into the tissue above. It took a year before the dark areas disappeared. With some chemos, leakage into the tissue can cause the tissue to die.

In a do over -----I would never do chemo without a port------I was overridden by my doc---it will never happen again. Hopefully, I won't have to have chemo again. But now, I know what to demand

I question a medical system that offers ports to some without explanation, doesn't offer a port to others, and refuses ports to others that request them-

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

--------so excellent that you bring up EMLA--------it is a local anesthetic put on before a stick. It was first developed for use with children. Then it's value was seen for other cases . Particularly port access. A stick is a stick, they hurt. EMLA is great, but it must be obtained by prescription.

WARNING:A port stick should be done under sterile conditions with a sterile dressing applied , with a mask for the sticker and a mask for the patient. Same with PICCS and other central lines. My DH and I went to a center that had reduced there standards to the same as a peripheral stick. WRONG ------the PORTor PICC if it gets infected can cause serious problems. Peripheral lines can have infection problems, but tend not to move as rapidly.

But I predict that eventually the same technique will be required for peripheral sticks because of infection control issues.

Anyone that puts on gloves, then tears off the tip, so, they can palpate the port or a vein STOP them immediately.  The point of the glove is reduction in microbial transmission from their hand to your body. Why do they tear off the tip. It makes it easier for them to feel the vein. But they just reduced the potential for bacteria from their finger to be introduced to your vascular system.

Irony, I made a comment on a phlebotomist that kept picking at her zits. I said to her partner that can't be allowed. What did I allow one week later. Just as I described above ---------where was my brain-------------don't know-----------ended up with 2 Er visits and 5 Pcp visits for Rocephin shots in the butt.  AND I KNEW BETTER THAN TO LET HER TAKE OFF THE TIP OF HER GLOVE.

• Snoopy73
    Snoopy73 Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi, I am starting chemo next week 7/7 6 cycles of TC. I was told that I will need a port, i am very nervous about it, its so nice to read posts on this site, thank you. I called my MONP today and he sadi that i may be schedule to get my port next week; can you get a port a day or two before chemo? Please advise.

• sas-schatzi
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yes, there are many people that describe different fellings about this , but technicalliy with the right dressing a port can be used the same day.

edit please read the section on taxotere on icing the hands and feet to help prevent neuropathy, good luck

• MaryNY
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi Snoopy: I got my port two days before my first chemo. I've heard some people getting theirs the same day as their first chemo. Personally I wouldn't like that as it's a lot to do in one day and I know many people can be anxious the day of chemo anyway. With the holiday on Monday, that probably means the earliest they can schedule you is Tuesday. Try to get an early morning appointment as you will need to fast because of the anesthetic.

Let us know if you have any other questions not already answered. I know you are nervous but I think you will be glad you have a port. I know I was.

• 3bells
    3bells Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2011
    Options

I think my head is going crazy. I thought I just posted this and now can't find it. Maybe posted it in the wrong thread? Just diagnosed, tons of tests, not much time to read all the wealth of info here. Chemo first, then mastectomy. Second breast cancer. Radiation last time, no chemo.

Anyhow

I had my port  placed yesterday.
    After leaving the surgery area, just out the hospital door, I had a sudden reaction, probably to the sedation med. I've had it before for colonoscopy without a problem, but they kept asking if I was sleepy and when I said, "No but relaxed." they gave me more. Twice at least. I still was awake but they didn't ask again.

On the half hour drive home I held a plastic bag in my lap. Dizzy, weak and very nauseated. DH says I had turned completely white. I don't vomit easily, (even when I want to because at times that helps). Laid in recliner after getting home and had a cup of tea. Effect slowly wore off but I'm still weak today with extremely dry lips.

Read this morning about having it where the bra strap doesn't irritate it. Of course it is right where the strap would be so I'll be going bra-less!

I hope this doesn't have all the "font" and extras because I cut and  pasted. (otherwise would have lost the whole thing.)

Is it common to have this bad reaction after a port placemen?. now I'm more terrified of chemo nausea.

Thanks for being here!

Peggy

• 3bells
    edited June 2011
    Options

Forgot again to add to favorite topics. Looks like I need to reply to be able to add it.

• Snoopy73
    Snoopy73 Member Posts: 118
    edited June 2011
    Options

Sleepdeprieved - Take it easy and get some rest; I hope you feel better soon:-( HUGS

Just got a call from the nurse, I have been scheduled to get my port on weds, next week 7/6 morning 7:30am. This is one day before my cehmo, hope all goies well and wont be feeling sore.

• 3bells
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoopy, Was much better the next day. Port is a bit irritating but not bad. You will be getting your first chemo the day before I do. Praying all goes well for you!

Peggy

• MaryNY
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoopy, since you will likely have to fast from Tuesday night and although you are scheduled for 7:30AM, it might be a later and thus a lot later when you get to eat and drink. In my case this led to constipation maybe along with the anesthetic. So I started chemo already constipated and the chemo drugs had a constipating effect on me too, which was extremely uncomfortable. So I'd advise you to drink a lot of water on Wednesday afternoon and evening. Also eat a lot of high-fibre foods.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoopy. Hi glad you got you're port scheduled. Going to post this part real fast. Make sure it's the type of port --Power port that can go in a MRI machine and that contrast dye can be used and blood draws can be done-------call the doc's office if it's not to late to check.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoopy ----got that posted-------You may consider doing a colon clean out on Sun. or Monday morning. You wouldn't want to leave it to the afternoon on Monday, so, that you don't have a problem Tues. morning. That's why I suggest Sunday , then there will definitely be no problem.

Several posts down , I describe why you should not start a high fiber diet after anesthesia until your intestinal tract is working. Please, read that post to protect yourself from problems.

This at first is going to sound a bit different than what you have previously heard. In regard to high fiber. If the colon has not been used to a high fiber diet. If you add too much fiber too fast you can actually plug yourself up. If you think of the colon as a muscle----smooth muscle versus skeletal muscle. It needs to be encouraged to work right. Your short on time , but I'll describe it, and then you can figure out how to make it work for you.

The ideal way is to calculate your average daily intake of fiber over a week or two, by reading the nutrition charts on the containers. For fresh fruits/ veggies you can pull a chart off the web or pick up an example from your PCP or GI doc. After calculating your average, the next step is to introduce more fiber. The average American diet is usually around 12-13 GM of fiber daily. The recommendation used to be 25-30GM /day. It has recently been revised upward to 30-35 GM. So, for the sake of math simplicity lets say your average is 15 GM and your goal is 30Gms . To allow the colon to become used to the extra fiber , you would want to add 5 GM per week for three weeks. The colon needs time to become stronger with the addition of more fiber. If it's added to fast you can increase constipation even to the point of causing a blockage.

In addition to increasing fiber , you must make sure you have enough fluid. In order to give the correct info I checked the guidelines of what current rec's are. According to Mayo clinic guideline it is 3 liters for men and 2.2 liters for women-----roughly 8 -8oz glasses a day. Why check current guidelines? The joke used to be --"What are we teaching this year".

So, increasing fiber in your diet has to be done with making sure you have enough fluids. Otherwise, it's like putting a cork in your butt. (my phrase not Mayo clinic).

Now, you are in the situation of approaching anesthesia and pain medicines, both slow down gastric motility(movement), Which lends towards constipation.  Of course, it's Fri afternoon before a long holiday weekend. Still it's worth a call to the doc, to ask them what you can do on Sun or Mon. to make sure the Colon is empty or mostly empty. If your doc hasn't given you instructions already. Call the on -call line and they will give you and answer. Even if they sound irritated , it's worth it to you. You will be much more comfortable post-op. It really should have been discussed at your last appointment-so if you look at it as something not told to you, you will see the importance. When you make the call , make it concise----"Doc I'm having surgery first thing Tues morning, wasn't told what to use to clean out the colon,I'm prone to constipation with anesthesia and pain meds ,please what do you recommend I take and when AND I am allergic to__________?" Mention whether you have any allergies because that will be their first question. End of story. They will rapid fire tell you something, so be prepared to listen fast. LOL

One Last word about looking at the nutrition Label---------you are looking at the side that says mg or Gm-------not % -------totally different for what you want to accomplish.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

To All------In cases , where doc's insist on chemo the same day as port insertion. It is usually related to the cancer and wanting to get that first dose on board asap. As you have all seen from previous posts there is usually a degree of latitude.

The infamous ride home: As sleepdeprived so clearly described , it can be tough. Recommend if possible be prepared to lay down in the back seat if possible(bring several pillows. Nausea and vomiting post anesthesia can be related to the drugs AND POSITION. If you are flat or laying on your right side(preferable) , it will help. Those bags they give you to carry your clothes in make great barf bags. There big ,you can put your whole face in the opening -thus catching everything and they're easily disposed of---ask for a couple for the ride home----or bring a couple of kitchen trash liners.

Standing or sitting or walking are referred to as positional changes and can induce a rapid onset of nausea and vomiting(N/V) , dizziness and weakness----so do them in slow motion. If this happens get flat on right side asap.  Laying on the right side is recommeneded  b/c of the way the fluid in the stomach flows into the intestine. The key is to lay down.

Dehydration: symptoms-----dry mouth and lips, persistent dizziness and weakness with positional changes, low or no urine output, fever. There are more , but that hits the high-points.

Bring bottled cold water if possible for car ride to rinse mouth as needed, and get one of those cheap ice bags that you just squeeze to activate or ask discharge staff for a disposable one----nice for head or nape of neck.

• MaryNY
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoopy: nausea after the anesthetic wears off is not the norm. I don't know how common constipation is after the anesthetic but a colon cleanse seems a bit much for someone about to start chemo. Just my two cents.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

MaryNy the type of colon clean out I'm talking about is like taking mag citrate sun/ mon morning.   Constipation post anesthesia is really common. It's a combo of the anesthesia drugs& pain meds. What allot of people don't realize is that narcotics are given during surgery. It's actually a serious component of the combo of drugs used for anesthesia.  Versed for amnesia, narcotics for pain. Atropine or muscarinic type anticholinergics to dry up secretions-again usually for generals, but a small amount might be given in a Twilight. This group of drugs stop normal intestinal activity.

The most common combo's used for Twilight-------are Versed-benzodiazapine, narcotic--could be morhine/ dilaudid/ fentanyl and an antiememtic---(antinausea).

But since each anesthesia person has their own smorgasbord of drug regimen,. If you reduce the amount of feces present, less likely to have post-op constipation. There are times that b/c of need a Twilight anesthesia approach, changes to a general anesthesia.

Nausea post anesthesia is individual and dose dependent. In house post-op orders always include  anti-nausea drug to be used prn(as necessary). Ambulatory surgery standing orders usually have a prn order for N/V, to be used in recovery area but if the patient doesn't show up with it before discharge, they don't get any in the post op area, only what may have been given pre-op or in OR.

We may be talking semantics here------colon clean out in the lay world has a whole different meaning than to a nurse. Sorry, I may have been using words at a level that needed more explaining, but I did try. I didn't want to be specific about i.e mag citrate /dulcolax etc. b/c that's the docs role. Just offering the questions that need to be asked.

Come back Mary if I still haven't made it clear--------it's important that if i'm going to try to help , that the info is clear as it can get.

• sas-schatzi
    edited July 2011
    Options

Snoppy -----don't want you to get uptight over the word colon clean out-------all I'm suggesting is you make sure you are evacuated well before surgery--------the simplest I can say , make sure you aren't constipated before surgery-----hows that---------if I write poop well,  someone might report me. LOL

• 3bells
    edited July 2011
    Options

Sas, wish I had read this before port placement. After lying in recliner at home the nausea eased up. Weakness lasted through the next day but not as bad. I hadn't known about the dehydration. The next morning my mouth felt like it had a thick dry coating. Fluid helped that fairly soon. Why don't they warn you about these things!

I have given up on fiber and all other recommended constipation cures.  Nothing works. Now I take Miralax every day. If I miss a day or two, it takes an enema and double or triple dose to get going again. None of the docs seemed concerned about the daily Miralax. It's better than the alternative.

Scary that it can get even worse after chemo starts.

Peggy