Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

PORT PLACEMENT - Detailed description of process

Options

Comments

• starzhere
    starzhere Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2010
    Options

If you have good veins you might not need one.  I know that for me, it would be hard to make it through even four treatments.  You have to remember it's not just getting the IV's.  You'll also be getting blood draws.

• taranebraska
    taranebraska Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2010
    Options

Has anyone felt their port feels like it's on top of your collar bone?  I just got my Bard port yesterday.  The nurse said I would feel like a horse kicked me, but I've been kicked by a horse, this feels like a railroad tie thrust under my collar bone into my shoulder.  Good times, good times.

• dorothym
    dorothym Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2010
    Options

I had mine put in on 8/25.  I had "twilight" sleep - and I slept the entire time!!  I was groggy until 9 that night, and a little sore, but otherwise fine. 

• artemis
    artemis Member Posts: 105
    edited August 2010
    Options
    dorothym ~ I'm glad it went well for you.  Good luck with your chemo! Smile
  • inthepink49
    inthepink49 Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2010
    Options

Just wondering if everyone gets a port these days for chemo.? I know I will prob be getting 4 treatments 1 every 3 weeks so I'm guessing its not enough to have a port.

• artemis
    edited September 2010
    Options

inthepink ~ No, not everyone gets one.  I think sometimes it depends on which meds you're getting and for how long.  I had Adriamycin which I understand is very hard on the veins, so my onc wanted me to have a port.

Good luck with your chemo! Smile

• bbmom
    bbmom Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2010
    Options

inthepink49,

If you're going to receive a chemo that is harsh on the veins your doc may want you to get a port even though you only have 4 treatments.

• Anne068
    Anne068 Member Posts: 93
    edited September 2010
    Options

inthepink.. I'm also getting 4 treatments, 1 every 3 weeks. And I'm getting a port. The Onc said I needed one because I had SNB on both sides, and they don't like to do a bunch of iv's when you've recently had nodes out.

so I don't know if that is the only reason, or just one of them?

dorothym... they are giving me the twilight sleep too. So you just slept thru it?  and stayed sleepy? I hope I do too. I have the port and then blood tests, meet with onco, and chemo.. all in one day. I'd rather sleep thru it all! :D

tara... here we are again!

• inthepink49
    edited September 2010
    Options

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking my stats are good so the chemo will be lite and no port needed. Its just once people kept asking me I had no idea. My veins are ify at times but they are there so that'll be good.

I go to the onco doc today and didn't want to ask because I think he already thinks I am a basket case because I ask so many questions. That is my personality type and those that know me know that. He meets me once and made a comment about me taking it easy. i was kind of insulted. When I met with my rad onco he said he feels like he knows me well from what my med onco told him. I was a bit taken aback by that.Of course they are both men so that accounts for some of that.LOL

I am a nervous wreck though when I have to go see them because of that. I guess Im have to get over that.

Well I'll wish everyone a good day and talk again soon.

Thanks for listening!!:)

• inthepink49
    edited September 2010
    Options

well my onco doc was wonderful this time. After reviewing my oncotype he did recommend chemo and I do need a port. that will go in as soon as I have a consult with a surgeon. Picked up all my meds today.It all seems so real now.

Will stay in touch thanks all!

• inthepink49
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi

Where is everybody?

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi inthepink49, I think the traffic is a bit erratic on this thread. People seem to come here when they are getting the port in, then go away for a long time while they are having chemo and come back when having port issues or having it out.

How are you doing? When will they place the port? 

• inthepink49
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi I was just joking. I figured that. but thanks for replying and asking. I have my port placement on monday and chemo starts on wed. I have been very up beat and positive but its getting closer and is starting to feel very real.I was just telling a friend today that said she can't get over how well I'm handling this and I told her just wait till treament starts I don't know how well Ill handle that. it is so scarey and if I feel good ill be ok if I am sick then that make me less positive. we shall see.

i am just going to enjoy the rest of the weekend and hope everyone does also.

Take care

Vickie

• MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited September 2010
    Options

Vickie: yes, do get out and enjoy the weekend. Like you I had my port placement on a Monday and started chemo two days later on a Wednesday. I'm really glad that I got a port as it made the process on the day of chemo must easier.

• Eve1956
    Eve1956 Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2010
    Options

Hi Everyone,

Like Dorothym, I was asleep the entire time I had my port put in on Friday 09/10. They told me I would be in a "twilight state" and I would be semi-conscious. I told them I didn't want to know ANYTHING about what they were doing since it freaked me out they were going into my Jugular. They said there would be a sheet up so I wouldn't be able to see anything, but I didn't want to hear anything either!

I also told them I've been known to wake up under General (true) so I think they gave me a mega dose of twilight juice. Last thing I remember was them adjusting the arm boards on the operating table, then they woke me to slide from the OR table to the gurney. I got on the gurney and fell right back to a deep sleep and didn't wake until 2.5 hours later! That was just fine with me!!!

I was groggy and took a 2 hour nap as soon as I got home but then was feeling OK.

It's been 2 days and I still need to take Tylenol for the soreness. They told me I had to keep it dry for 7 - 10 days so I had to figure out how to wash my hair, since I wash it every day, and don't have anyone who could wash it for me in the kitchen sink.

I used Press & Seal Cling Warp and found it sticks to my skin and the bandage easily. I double covered it beyond the bandage area and was able to keep it dry while I washed my hair in the shower. Just had to keep my back to the shower head and use the wand to direct the water.

They asked me when I was starting chemo, and when I said 09/20 they were surprised, saying usually your med Onco's office takes care of it and I should call them with instructions about caring for the area. I guess I am in the minority from others' posts.

• Anne068
    edited September 2010
    Options

Well, I got my port in yesterday.  They drugged me up pretty good.  Apparently, according to the nurses, and I do vaguely remember something about it, I guess I threatened to hit them, or "deck them" if they even thought about sticking that "horse needle in my jugular vein!" .... then something about "give her another dose"... then I was talking about french soaps and candles, or maybe I dreamed it?

For the most part, I guess that was the easy part (for me anyways).  But it hurts today... OUCH!  Very sore at my collar bone, and if I turn my head sharply I can feel it tugging, not good.

I was told to keep it dry for 4 days.  I got back in one week for them to check it, then again a week after that.  I'm not sure why, or what they're checking it for? I'll have to ask my husband. I can't seem to remember much of anything from yesterday!!!

Undecided

• Basia
    Basia Member Posts: 345
    edited October 2010
    Options

i had the port placed on saturday and my throat feels sore, i don't know if I am getting a sore throat or if it is from the port.

I will be getting TC & H, for 6 sessions (every 3 weeks) and then the remainder of the year of H every 3 weeks. When should I expect to have this port removed? Is it necessary for just Herceptin?

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    edited October 2010
    Options

Basia, your port is necessary to help your veins not get all used up.  When that happens and its hard to reach a vein, you can have multiple tries for the vein (which can be painful).  They might also have to access a vein somewhere else on your body.  From my own experience, I was very glad that i had a port for the entire year.  It was painless although at first it was quite sore which went away after a week or two.  I had my port removed a few weeks after my last herceptin.

Good luck. 

• spitnspunk
    spitnspunk Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

I had my port put in yesterday late morning and sleep doesn't seem to come easy with this in. When I first got home yesterday I was able to sleep but then I was still drugged and numb, but last night, I couldn't lay down at all without a lot of pain so I've spent the night on the couch propped up against a bunch of pillows, alternating between dozing and waking so I'm more then hoping this gets better today and as each day goes by. Oh fun times indeed.

• artemis
    edited October 2010
    Options

flyonangwngs ~ Propping my arm on a pillow and using an icepack helped me get some sleep.  I had quite a bit of pain for a week or so, but having the port is totally worth it.  

Good luck to you!
    Artemis :-)

• Anne068
    edited October 2010
    Options

I've had mine for a month now. It's not a bother really. Unless someone bumps into it,  then it's sensitive.. but I'm glad I have it.  It certainly saves the veins and is much less painful than all the poking and prodding that would be necessary for chemo and bloodwork without it!!!

But I'm a big baby, and totally HATE needles.. they terrify me!!!

• spitnspunk
    edited October 2010
    Options

Thanks, I'm looking ahead to a week or two where I can say it's not so bad too! Another question for those that already had this put in: did anyone itch really bad from it? I don't think it's an allergic reaction because I'm not having problems breathing and I'm not breaking out in a rash or bumps and itching wasn't one of the side effects listed to 'watch for' but oh my gosh, both the incision on my chest and in my neck itch like crazy, and all the area around them - which basically means most of my right chest and neck itch...they didn't suture it, they used a glue to close it so maybe it's that, I don't know, but wow...I'll be taking a benadryl soon if this doesn't let up.

• Anne068
    edited October 2010
    Options

Yes, Oh man, YES! I forgot about that. It did itch. But not so much that I notice anymore unless someone *like you* points it out! LOL! Tongue out

However, I do have numbness, still. I don't know how long that lasts. ??

• inthepink49
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi

I've had my port for awhile now. I've had 2 chemo treatments through it so far and it has been great.It is still tender when they access it but I can deal with it. It does also itch at times and that is ok also.

I do have a question though. It has been starting to ache a bit. It seems to be just below it.Its almost like a muscle ache. has anybody experienced that. I hate to call and ask about something that is nothing. I don't need another trip to the docs office. It has been noticable enough to catch my attention.

What do you think?

Thanks 

pink hugs to you all!

• spitnspunk
    edited October 2010
    Options

@ITP49, sorry no one has answered you, I don't think this thread is viewed very often. Anyhow, I have had my port in for 2 weeks now. The first week was kind of bad as that was the regular healing process that comes with all things surgical, but this last week it hasn't bothered me much, until last night! It was my second treatment Wed so I don't know if that had something to do with it, but I more suspect it was the Nuelasta shot on Wed that is causing it to ache now, as many other things are aching now too, not just the port. So far tylenol has been taking the edge off so it's not anything I can't live witih . Hope yours has gotten better for you too.

• Bekka2298
    Bekka2298 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2013
    Options

I get my port put in this Friday the 12...and I thank you so much for posting all your info and experinces with ports..I feel its better to go in knowing whats going to happen then to go in not knowing nothing.

I will keep you posted on how things went :) 

• sweetaerobabe
    sweetaerobabe Member Posts: 230
    edited November 2010
    Options

I will be going to the Onc Thursday for "Chemo class" and they will schedule my port placement then. Thank you for all the posts, but..... I suffer from extreme anxiety, and even though I know that I will survive the procedure, I am extremely anxious about this. I want to be knocked out!!! I dont want to even be in twilight, because the thought of what they are doing to me makes me queasy. They better give me LOTS of meds. I dont want to know whats going on, I dont want to hear or see anything! I dont want to do this PERIOD!

I will read up again, but my question.... they feed the tube down into my chest close to my heart, and the port part is near my colarbone. How do they connect it? Are the cutting my vein in half and stitching it to the port? Also, will I have stictches on top of the port? How could they place a port and use it the same or next day?

I dont even want to THINK about my first chemo.

Kristy

• InTwoPlaces
    InTwoPlaces Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2010
    Options

I have had my port for one week now, and yes - it itches a bit, but I had much more itches from the bandage after my lumpectomy.

I wasn't awake at all. The last thing i remember is that I was put on the operation table and then I woke up again and the surgery was done.

I asked about people being awake during the surgery and was told that "you need to be very curious if you want to be awake", hardly no one is."

My throat was sore for a couple of days because they put a tube down my throat.

• sweetaerobabe
    sweetaerobabe Member Posts: 230
    edited November 2010
    Options

Im going to ask to be put to sleep. Im searching around looking for information, and I guess my question is, is the tube going up into my neck AND down near my heart? And connected in the middle by the port? If its only going down near my heart, why start in the neck (2 incisions)

Im so confused.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited November 2010
    Options

sweetaerobabe, I had twilight sleep. I remember being wheeled out to the elevator then the next thing I remember was being wheeled back to recovery. Never felt/saw a thing. As far as the neck thing… my surgeon (who only does ports) told me that would be a possibility for me if the location below my collar bone didn't work out. It has something to do with what vein they can access. By any chance are you small and thin on top. I am which seemed to have some challenges. I actually had a juvenile port placed because I'm so small on top… not a lot of real estate to place one of these things on me.

anyway I've had mine since October 4th. First chemo the  next day. It was a little sore for a while but now I don't even notice it although it does stick out a lot because I have no fat tissue on my upper torso.