Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

flax seed oil & cottage cheese

Options
1235»

Comments

• Lainey64
    Lainey64 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2009
    Options

Does it have to be flaxseed oil or can I use ground flaxseed? 

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited April 2009
    Options

Lainey, both the ground flaxseeds and the oil are recommended in the budwig protocol.  The oil is beneficial because there would be a whooole lot of flaxseeds to eat to take in the nutrients available in a few teaspoons.  The seeds themselves are necessary also for the fiber.  Get an inexpensive coffee grinder just for your flaxseed.  Once the oil is released, the short shelf life starts ticking.   It's best to grind it yourself and eat it fresh. 

• LouAnselmo
    LouAnselmo Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2009
    Options

Dear Lainey,

Do yourself a favor if you have time, go to these two sites to learn all you need to learn about Dr. Budvig's protocol: http://clem.mscd.edu/~boettner/CancerTutor/Cancer/Budwig.html   and  http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html  

The more I learn about it, the more I am convinced that Dr. Johanna was decades ahead of

most doctors today including Dr. Andrew Weil who I used to admire until I read that he wrote off Dr. Johanna by saying that her methods were "fanciful." I guess his aides never read about the science behind her protocol.  I'm starting the protocol today with my wife to help lower our blood pressure and get our partially-hydrogenated bodies back to what they were meant to be.

Good luck. Lou

• LouAnselmo
    edited April 2009
    Options

Dear Barry,

From what I have read so far, Dr. Budvig's protocal of FO and CC along with her strict diet plan was applying to her cancer practice what she had learned from Albert Szent-Gyorgyi who won the 1937 Nobel Peace prize for his work regarding cell oxidation and how the cell works. She was no quack but a scientist in her own right.

The more I learn about it, the more I am convinced that Dr. Johanna was decades ahead of  doctors today including Dr. Andrew Weil who I used to admire until I read that he wrote off Dr. Johanna by saying that her methods were "fanciful." I guess his aides never read about the science behind her protocol. 

Do yourself a favor if you have time, go to these two sites to learn all you need to learn about Dr. Budvig's protocol: http://clem.mscd.edu/~boettner/CancerTutor/Cancer/Budwig.html   and  http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/Budwig.html  

I'm starting the protocol today with my wife to help lower our blood pressure and get our partially-hydrogenated bodies back to what they were meant to be.

Good luck. Lou

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hollyann, its not uncommon for oncologists to recommend against women with estrogen receptor positive breast cancer consuming flax seed or soy.  My wife was told to limit soy and flax, and she's premenopausal.  That said, it doesn't make it a fact, as many will admit that they really don't know what it can do to hormone receptor positive breast cancers, positive or negative.  Its so frustrating that preliminary work was done in women with BC on flaxseed supplementation, but it appears no one has continued the work.  That study with the muffins given to women pre-surgery, shrinking the tumors.  I tried to find more work from the same people.  One of them left Canada, went to work in the states on SERMs.  Its almost a paradox, the way some of the  alternative treatments are either deemed good for you or bad for you, depending on who you ask.  So to most of us, we have no way of weighing the alleged benefits vs the alleged risks, so we just stay clear.

• LouAnselmo
    edited April 2009
    Options

Tim and Hollyann, what about a non-toxic treatment that comes from the original research

of Dr. Albert Szent-gyorgyi who won the Nobel Peace prize in 1937 for his discovery of ascobic acid and work on oxygenation in cell.  I think he lost his wife to cancer. He had an idea that wheat germ could be used to prohibit cancer growth. The science community at the time was interested only in killing tumors outright.  A Dr.Hidvegi took up and continued Dr. Albert's work and developed Avemar. If interested, I can send you an article about it offlist.  You can reach me @ fatherlou2002@yahoo.com and I will send you the article and more.

• leia
    leia Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2009
    Options

Lou, good luck on starting the Budwig protocol!

I have just been totally amazed, with it. 

I don't know what it might be doing for my 2006 diagnosed, 2cm IDC, ER/PR+, HER- , cancer, cut out with HUGE margins. For which I refused, any other treatments. No Radiation, no Tamoxifen. 

Until the January 2009, Birad 5 scare, that turned into benign.

That was it. Enough. Now, I'm on the Protocol. For life. 

And it just goes, beyond, trying to cure the cancer.  I feel so incredibly better, after just three months. I can't even describe it. 

I MISS all of the junk food that I used to eat.  I loved that junk food. Yet, feeling so much better, eating "real" food, I can never go back. 

I'm starting a vegetable garden, this year.  

This is the alternative thread, on this board, and I'll just say that the alternative remedies are working, for me.

Most people, I guess, need "studies" to validate, their treatments. I do not.

I read up, on everything, and then decide for myself. And I've decided on Dr. Budwig's FOCC.

If a treatment makes me feel as great as the FOCC, and its preventing my cancer, from coming back.

I'm doing this for the rest of my life.

Leia 

• Lainey64
    Lainey64 Member Posts: 127
    edited April 2009
    Options

Ok, I was at Walmart and picked up a box of Milled Ground Flaxseed.  It said on the box that a serving was 2 tbsp.  So I added that to 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.  It was so naaaassty that I could only handle two small bites.  I will get some of the oil and try that.  Is it any better?  I sure hope so!

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited April 2009
    Options

Try it with some yogurt and a little honey to sweeten it.  I can't stomach the cottage cheese version either.  I also can't fathom flaxseed being sold already ground up.  The omega 3's have a very short shelf life, which is why flaxseed oil is sold in the refrigerated section.  I wonder if storebought ground flaxseed still has all the original nutrients.  You can get a coffee grinder for $10 and some whole flaxseeds for even less.  Grinding your own is quick, easy, and not messy at all. 

• amberyba
    amberyba Member Posts: 180
    edited April 2009
    Options

Lainey, when you mix the oil with the cottage cheese, you need an immersion blender to get the right consistency....you can get one for about 10$ at WalMart....then you can add fruit and nuts which make it edible....I did this for about 3 weeks....I went to the health food store searching for organic cottage cheese and organic flaxseed after being on the protocol for 2 weeks and I explained to one of the worker that the flax/cottage cheese protocol helps oxygenate cells, and that cancer hates oxygen......she then told me CoQ10 did the same thing, I felt a little stupid....Because I was taking CoQ10 for just that reason.....

I started the flax protocol because I felt new lumps that seemed to linger.....even though I was taking CoQ10.....but I didn't really notice a difference in the size of the lumps while using the flaxoil, then I realized i had switched CoQ10 brands, so I switched back to the old brand and upped my dose, now the lumpy areas are hardly noticeable...

Hope this helps

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2009
    Options

Try putting a table spoon of chocolate or vanilla whey protein drink mix. This does a good job of covering up taste.  I found liquid easier to stomach the ground. I'm sure it's probably not best...but if I'm going to eat it... this is how it has to be done :)

• Joyceska
    Joyceska Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2009
    Options

Where do you get whey protein drink mixs?  I am not sure what to look for.  I did try the cottage cheese/flax oil this morning.  I mixed like the video said then added frozen fruits(defrosted) and sweet leaf sugar and I was able to eat it.  I did 4TB of cottage and 2 Tb of flax oil. 

Do I have to do the rest of the diet from the  FOCC Dr. Budwig diet for it to work on cancer? I am hoping for help with bursitus also. 

Joyce

• leia
    leia Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2009
    Options

Joyce, that is the exact ratio, 1TBSP oil to 2TBSP cottage cheese. And like you, I mix it with frozen fruits, in my case, the Costco Three Berry mix (defrosted) I'm currently doing 3TBSP oil to 6TBSP cottage cheese.

And I find it delicious.  Although, as people have said, you really need that stick blender to totally pulverize the flax seed oil and cottage cheese. That's critical. 

My sister with the Stage 3 ovarian cancer is totally on the Budwig Protocol. Me? My BC diagnosis is similar to yours, except mine was ER+/PR+. And I'm not totally doing, everything. Yet, I have cut out the processed foods. 

Yet, my thought, I'm WAY ahead of where I was, before. And I'll make slow, improvements.

It can only help.

As I read, somewhere, what's the point of just cutting out a cancer, if you don't address the reason that you got cancer, to begin with? And for my part, I've had two cancers, by now.

The FOCC is addressing the systemic reason that I got cancer, to begin with. Which is not enough oxogen, on the cellular level. And that is what the FOCC provides. Oxygen to the cells. By combining the Omega 3 fats with the cottage cheese, it makes them water soluble so that they can enter the cells, immediately. And regulate normal cell growth and inhibit the irregular growth of the cancer cells. 

In some of Dr. Budwig's testimonials, she's taken patients with Stage 4 cancers, at death's door, and cured them.

I was not "at death's door," with either of my cancers, yet anything I can do to improve my life, and feel better I am going to do. And this FOCC is it. 

As I've said, I've only been on it, three months. And I feel terrific. I wonder how I'll feel, after a year?  

• FloridaLady
    FloridaLady Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2009
    Options

You can get Whey at any grocery store or get a good one with low in carbs at a health food store or GNC. Get one with a good whey content. (this is great for cancer prevention also) There is a thread out there some where.

Flalady

• Joyceska
    edited April 2009
    Options

I finished my chemo and then had a bi-lat mast.  The doctor said for practical purposes I am cancer free.  My tumor went from 2.8 to 1.5 but there were still live cancer cells in it.  Being TN there is the chance it will return.  That is what I am dealing with, keeping it from returning for at least 20 years, that would put me at 85, should I reach that and the world does not crumble before then. 

My book says CoQ10  for brain 120-240 mg 2x day, for heart 200mg 4x a day, mouth sores 100 3x day to protect your body during chemo.  So what is a good dose after to keep it away? I also read it needs oil to be absorbed, mine has oil added in the capsule.

Curcumin has Turmeric (a spice) that is suppose to kill cancer cells from what I read.  It also need oil to be absorbed.  Anyone doing this?

Siince going off chemo my chocolate craving has bloomed again.  I need to cut it out, I will do my best not to sneak any today.  I will look for the whey today also.

Joyce

• Joyceska
    edited April 2009
    Options

opps I just remembered something I can share.  My last visit to my doctor I asked what I can do in way of diet and supplements I could take to reduce my chances of a recurrance.  She told me to add 1000 units of vitamin D daily, other than that is was the eat right blah blah. 

During chemo we discussed Turmeric and she had heard of good results taking this spice.  So from an oncologist I thought these 2 things must mean something for her to give her seal of approval.

Joyce

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2009
    Options

About turmeric - I am doing this. I try to have a quarter-teaspoon a day. Mixing it with a little black pepper increases its absorption by 1,000, according to the book I use Foods That fight Cancer, by Richard Beliveau. for me it's easy: for one meal of the day I heat a little oil, &  some water in a pan, add turmeric & a dash of black pepper, & wilt a big handful baby organic spinach in it. When that's done, I add a spec more oil & make scrambled eggs in the same pan. delish! Or create your own easy way.

I've been reading bits of this thread, am strongly considering reading more & reading the links & starting the Budwig plan, or elements of it. thanks for all the great info, everyone.

• gscott
    gscott Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2009
    Options

can we get updates on those eating focc?

• gscott
    edited August 2009
    Options

I just wanted to update you guys. I started following part of the budwig diet 6 days ago and really followed it more closely the past 4 days. I have two lumps in my breast that are in the diagnostic phase so I can't speak for them, but I have 4 tumors on my arms. Two are gone and two much smaller. I've had them for years and NOTHING has helped until this past week. I have MORE energy. My blood pressure was 110/60. I did add iodine to my diet and told my doctor. My night sweats have decreased. My headaches are gone and my heartburn is gone.

For those who want info on how exactly to follow the Budwig protocol, there is a yahoo group with files on all info.

Here was an encouraging post on there today from someone:

"Earl wrote: 

Went on Budwig (followed the plan rigidly, NO meat , all organic food, flaxseed and flaxseed oil etc.). After 11 weeks got psa score of 4.2 (went down 1.4), free psa went up to 17% (4% increase...which is good)!. Both numbers went in the correct direction... significant good change.

Biopsy indicated precancerous cells are non existent. I will stay with this forever. The secret is to place all good things in the body and remove all the bad"

• gscott
    edited August 2009
    Options
  • marciam
    marciam Member Posts: 84
    Options

after believing for 14 years now that flex might not be healthy for me. My supplement contain flaxseed oil oil. It was a mixture of CBD and flaxseed with some other turmeric for arthritis. However, I am using flaxseed oil and my oncologist approves it. I know that both Fax and CBD are both estrogenic and placeholding for estrogen receptor binder so they don’t actually raise estrogen but they make you feel pretty good. And since he approved it and I’ve been using flaxseed I figured it was OK to Do, what you think ? May all find Joy and supporting one another.!
    MarciaM