Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434

Hello Ladies,

I am new tothis thread. I have been on letrazole for less than a week. I finished chemo on August 6th and my hair is very slowly returning (more on the sides/back - less on top).

I have read a bit about hair loss on this drug....I wonder if people could let me know of their experiences.

Thank-yoi 

51yrs - UK lady.  

• jsolie
    jsolie Member Posts: 1

I have been on Femara a little over two months.  I first experienced side effects around 3.5 to 4 weeks.  Mostly hot flashes, joint pain and more recently hair loss.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,889

Wintersocks, I've been on femara since January and have experienced no hair loss, only joint pain and hot flashes.

• Isabelle2
    Isabelle2 Member Posts: 231

isolie & auntienance,wintersocks ... I have been on Femara for 81 days, so far no hair loss, "warm flushes but not as many now, still quite emotional but not as bad as a month ago.   There is hope for all of us.

I still have moments of "sadness" & just want to cry, not sure if that is the Femara or my overall reaction to the cancer.

hugs to all of you.

Isabelle

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97

The vita e and taking at night seems to help the hotflashes. I take glucosomine chondrontin w/ MSM for aches and pains, and try to exercise which seems to help. If I  don't take them I am pretty miserable with pain and fatigue and general discomfort. Mentally, femara is hard as I cannot handle  things as well as I used to. i'm much more irritable and inpatient and my general tolerance and ability to enjoy is quite limited. Other than that, what a great drug. Still can't believe through all the research and time spent, not only is there no cure, this is the best most gentle and effective thing they got for women to put in their bodies daily. I know they've come a long way and the AIs were a breakthrough, but there is so much further we must go to gently and effectively treat  and conquer bc.

• kathleenangus
    kathleenangus Member Posts: 1

I have been taking 2.5 mg letrozole since Jan.  I do experience some side effects (joint pain, swelling, some foggy memory).  In consideration though it is difficutl to outweigh the benefits.  I have tumour shrinkage and some memory/foggy stuff I think can be a result of knowing this cloud is over me.  15 years ago I had chemo and radiation.  for me the benefits and side stuff totally outweighs radiation.   That's just me but keep positive and take care and be well.  K

• lightandwind
    lightandwind Member Posts: 97

Does anyone have intense leg or hip pain w/ femara? Seems it's happening more and more. Not sure what to do. Anyone got any pointers?

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I've been on this pill since Nov '09 & have not experienced hair loss as a side effect (knock on wood)

Joint pain off & on; I did a self-imposed sabbatical last Nov, until Jan 1 '12, about 6 weeks worth.  Since I've gone back on my aches & pains are less & the ones that I do have I don't necessarily attribute to Femara.  I recently started taking Glucosamine w/Chon....whatever that is for some hip pain...so far I still have the hip pain (intermittent) but I'm hopeful. 

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

lightandwind....I have pretty severe rt hip pain. My Dr ordered an X-ray, all was normal. Then an MRI...still, all normal! Thankful, but doesn't explain the pain. I can only attribute it to the letrozole. Just taking naproxen and tramadol for pain as needed. Some days are worse than others. I do take 5000 iu of Vitamin D3, calcium, magnesium, glucosamine and chondroitin. I have been on Femara for 2 1/2 years, and have a 13 percent decrease in my bone density....not sure I can go another 2 years. And I only take a half pill a day! Good luck as you figure out the best way to navigate this drug....we are all so different.

• eph3_12

Jacee!!!!!

I haven't had a bone density since my intial one in '09, but I'm having one this coming Wed.  I'm going to be curious to see result.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Wintersocks the hair loss is n

• chrissyb

Oops I hit the wrong button above as I'm on my iPhone.

Wintersocks the hair loss is not total like chemo but a thinning. Some people maintain a good amount although not as thick as it used to be and then there is me......lol......I have hair like a babies, soft, fine and not a lot of it but enough that I can maintain a very short hair style.

I take my pill at night and have the aches and pains in the joints but I am also riddled with osteo arthritis which accounts more for that.

Some SE's come and go and most of them are because your body is adjusting to that little pill and a lot to do with the lessening estrogen in your system.

Hoping you don't have too much trouble with it. Good luck.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• ForestDweller
    ForestDweller Member Posts: 55

Hello, Wintersocks...welcome to this thread.  I'm also new to letrozole...been on it a week now.  No input to the hair loss.  My eyebrows and lashes are coming in.  Must be a good sign!!  My hair has thinned drastically from Xeloda, so I don't need to lose any more.

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

I've been on letrozole 5 months, so far no hair thinning or loss.

• wintersocks
    wintersocks Member Posts: 434

Hello Ladies,

Thanks for such a warm welcome!

Jsolie: did you have chemo first? How severe is the hair loss?

Isabelle2: sorry to hear you are sad, I too share those feelings and I am trying to adjust, but I am finding it all so hard. I am only 3 weeks on from MX, before that chemo.

Chrissy: my hair is too like a babies!, just coming in after chemo. There is more  on the sides /back than on top. it is too depressing to look at it.

forestdwell: we can compare notes as 2 newbies!. I have just taken my 7th Let. So far I seem to have little s/e - save for a reduction in appetite - but this may just be an imagining!

Rain and more rain in the UK at the moment. It feels like Autumn is gaining - but is my favorite time of year. 

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Eph - good luck with the dexa scan. 

• eph3_12

thanks for the good wishes gg.  I'm operating under the assumption all is well! (fingers crossed)

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219

Eph...hugs back at cha!! Hoping you get great results from the dexa!

Just had 6 month appt with Onc. He said Femara wouldn't be the cause of my rt hip pain...thinks it was an injury from exercise. He said if Femara is the cause of pain, it will be bilateral...won't just affect one hip and not the other. Thoughts???

Makes sense to me, I suppose.

• ForestDweller
    ForestDweller Member Posts: 55

Wintersocks:  I'm having an increase in appetite...LOL.  Got to watch those portion sizes, then I can snack a bit more often.  I don't want to gain weight.  With the temperatures finally cooling off a bit I'm outside walking a lot more too.  Love those walks in the woods when it's misting or lightly raining.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437

Anyone getting hip and shoulder cramps with arm, hand and finger numbness while sleeping?

• nanna
    nanna Member Posts: 138
    Ginger48 I have numbness while sleeping.I also had to have shot cortisone in my wrist toward my thumb it was aching all the time.It doing alot better.
  • I had arm, hand, and finger numbness at night and sometimes during the day for the first few months but now at six months out it has stopped, thankfully. I haven't had hip or shoulder cramps but I have gotten leg cramps at night sometimes.

• Shrek4

• ginger48

I have been on it for 9 months. Get stiff after being still for longer than 20 minutes.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,889

Ginger, same here.

• Shrek4

• chrissyb

No rash here, sorry. I've not heard of that. Have you shown it to your doc?

I get stiff from sitting but it only takes me a minute to get going again.

• ginger48

Me too Chrissy but takes longer when I first get up in the morning. Fingers take a few hours to fully function again.

That being said; I am still grateful for this drug.

• chrissyb

Ginger I'm not sure if the stiffness is from the Femara, arthritis or just plain getting old.........lol. The stiff fingers is something new for me but again once I get them moving they are just fine. I hadn't thought that maybe it was a SE I just put it down to the fact that when I sleep I rarely move.........I've even woken with a start to catch my DH watching me. When I asked him what he was doing he said, ' just making sure you were breathing as you are so still'. Guess I gave him a bit of a scare........lol