Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Bookworm- that's how my first couple of months were. After that, I have had no complications. As Scottie said give it a while longer. After 1 week your body has not adjusted to it. Hope all your SE's subside quickly.

Scottiee- Hello! hope you and Jo are enjoying your trip.

• Bookwormtoo
    Bookwormtoo Member Posts: 10

Scottiee: It looks like we are in the same boat! I have an appointment with the PE teacher at school who is also a personal trainer. We have a weight room/training room here at the HS so she is going to give me a few exercises. People here have been incredibly supportive but I have been pretty cool about everything until now. I sailed through rads. and didn't expect this.  Does anyone think that the generic version, letrazole, has different SEs than Femara? My insurance company automatically gave me generic.

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Thanks, Vicks.  It's not cheaper for me that way, since I'm treated through the VA.  I did see where the other ones have a something or other Chloride as a perservative.  No thank, I don't need that stuff...preservative.

• pamelahope
    pamelahope Member Posts: 41

Bookworm,

The side effects come and go.

Pam

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748

Some of the early side effects may be post rads effects as i took letrozole before with less problem - post rads totally different daily aches and pains

• Bookwormtoo
    Bookwormtoo Member Posts: 10

Thanks for the input everyone. I had a session with a trainer this morning and I think exercise is likely to help. I'm actuually feeling much better today...the comment that SEs come and go seems to be accurate.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Bookworm, not "likely" to help, it will definitely help. This doesn't mean that you will have zero SEs as long as you exercise, but it can help a great deal.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

You always have to keep in mind that the SEs are not from letrozole, but from the lack of estrogen.

• meadows4
    meadows4 Member Posts: 42

Is there a good explanation of why some women dont have any side effecs from

the lack of estrogen? 

And, is there any logic to the often-repeated statement from MO's and patients, that side-effects can

differ depending upon the type of AI one is taking? 

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Bookworm.....I'm on Letrozole also and they may have some fillers that don't agree with you. Reading many posts...some women change their Al's to a different one with some success....some take a respite for a few weeks....I still say give it two or three months to see if your body adjusts....it's worth the try, I feel.

• Shrek4

As Scottiee1 said, it depends a lot on the fillers. The only major difference between the AIs themselves is their mechanism of action, as Arimidex is a non-steroidal (reversible) while Aromasin and Femara are steroidal (irreversible).

Here's a link, that might explain better the difference http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18695261

As per my oncologist, in the majority of patients the peak of the side effects is at 6 months (it's build-up effect, especially for Femara) and then the body starts adjusting and in the majority of patients the SEs somewhat lessen.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Day...totally agree with you....the voice of wisdom....lll

• Lily55

Yes 6 months onwards has been the worst time for me.......its now nearly 9 months so am hoping they will start to go the other way.............

• Shrek4

thank you Scottiee! I wish my SEs had lessened, not gotten worse to the point that I had to go off AIs altogether... :(

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi,

Day, Letrozole Femara is an oral non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor too!

Best Usha

• Shrek4

Yea, I stand corrected. I always mess this one up lol. As a side note, for me personally it seemed that the non-steroidal gave me way worse effects. I was for a while on Aromasin and it took much longer than the other two before the SEs were unbearable. maybe it's the reversible/irreversible thing.

• jittersmom
    jittersmom Member Posts: 79

does anyone else have the feeling of the jitters from letrozole? I feel like I have had a pot of coffee? When i was on Tamoxifen i was the opposite depressed and tired

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693

Jitters- when i started i had small "tremors" but eventually it went away. Give it a little more time on it.

• jittersmom

Chrisrenee77...thank you

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

Jitters - I've found that my anxiety has increased markedly since I've been on letrozole.  Is that what you mean by the jitters?  My hands shake more as well.  I've been on it for 1.5 years. 

• Lily55

I too feel jittery at times - what are people taking for joint pains?  Mine are getting worse....

• gardengumby

I take a host of stuff:

curcumin, boswellia, vit D, vit B, willow bark, ginger, cinnamon, glucosamin sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, CoQ10, quercetin, fish oil

I also don't eat any grains other than a little rice and exercise daily.  It helps, though I must admint that my feet hurt today....

• jittersmom

gardengumby...my anxiety is high and my hands get the tremors, and it feels like I have had a pot of coffee! My shoulders hurt, joint pain no too bad it was worse when i was on Taoxifen, and herceptin.

Lily55... I  take vitamin D to help joint pain my hands were bad in the beginning but are better now, vitamin B complex and bioten to help my nails and hair

• levy41
    levy41 Member Posts: 2

Jittersmom - I had bad SE from Tamoxifen last year like depression, anxiety, headaches and problems with my eye sight like things are moving too fast.  The eye sight issues are hard to explain but I told my Oncologist I would no longer take this pill because I could end up having a wreck and getting killed so what good would the Tamoxifen do me then. My Oncologist suggested I get my ovaries removed so I did in Nov. 2012.  I felt much better after that.  THEN, he had me start taking Letrozole in Dec. 2012.  Now, I have jitters/anxiety, mild headaches, mild depression but THE EYE SIGHT PROBLEMS AGAIN.  I can handle the other stuff but NOT the eye sight stuff.  It is weird!!

• ktab96
    ktab96 Member Posts: 48

I am coming up on my second year on Femara.  I am just now starting to feel some of the joint pain side effects. My hands, especially my left, get stiff during the night.  I am also experiencing pain in my elbows and knees.  I believe exercise has definitely helped.  I also have found during the past couple of years the SE seems to come in cycles.  I started with hot flashes, but they have seemed to have subsided but I can still experience a hot flash from  from time to time.  I am hoping the joint pain will subside as lately I am finding it quite bothersome.

I have not experienced any head aches, depression or irritablity issues and I hope I never do.

I call Femara "my old lady" pill.

• gardengumby

ktab - that's a good name for it!!  I have joint stiffness.  When I stand after sitting for some time, it takes me a bit before I can walk - to start out I hobble...

• Lily55

I am taking vit d and loads of other things but joint paín is getting worse and i feel old and creaky - i exercise every day too ! Seriously considering stopping it as it affects so much

• artsee
    artsee Member Posts: 701

Lilly..I wouldn't quit taking the drug. Put in hour time and before you know it......five years is up. I have a month and a half left and when I look back it went fast. Dwell on the happy thoughts, like the good it is doing. That's what got me through.

I did sprain my ankle in Jan. Right before we sent to AZ to spend part of the winter. I've done this to the same foot three times prior, but this was the worst. I walked my usual 3 miles one time only while here and the next time I knew it's not time to be doing that just yet. I'm sure its the lack of estrogen in the bones that is making healing a lot harder.......so hang in there....this too shall pass. Just remember the drug is trying to keep the big C from invading our bodies.:-)

Say...does anyone know what's up wth this 'shrek4' person. Very annoying!

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639

artsee, who is "shrek4"?

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

April 1, I will have been on Femara for a year.  I had hot flashes in the first 6 months, and they were whoppers, I don't have them now.  At 6 months the joint pain became intense, but that has gotten a lot better.  I'm also not as stiff, except first thing in the morning.  My first Dexa done a month after I started revealed Osteopenia.  I take 8 grams of curcumin a day, 6 grams Omega 3 fish oil, 5 mgs K2, 8,000IU of D3, 1250 IU of Calcium, 680mg Strontium, 400mg. Magnesium, my multi has other bone minerals such as zinc, copper, manganese and chromium.  I'm also going to add Folic acid, and Boron.   In the process of trying to save my bones, I also think it is helping my joints.  They're getting better all the time.  Back in November 2012 I was walking with a cane, my knees, ankles and back hurt so bad.  I don't need it now.  My joints really started getting better after I added the fish oil in January.  I also have more flexibility.  Exercise definitely helps.  When the weather is bad and I can't get out and walk, I start to stiffen some.  The info I have on bones comes from the site below.  It is a very informative site. 

http://www.betterbones.com/bonenutrition/20keybonenutrients.aspx 

edited to add:  Someone on this thread told me in the beginning that the 6 mo to 9mo period after starting was the worst for joint pain and in my case that proved to be true.