Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

FEMARA

Comments

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

BB - I've made it two years and hoping that with retirement will come some improvement as retirement will equal more sleep - and I don't seem to hurt as much when I get a LOT of sleep.  If worse comes to worse, maybe I can just sleep for the next three years - whaddaya think? Laughing

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

Sounds like a plan! I am there with you if we can sleep on a beach in Mexico, with hammocks and an endless supply of margaritas! The time will pass quicker and the sun will soothe our aches and pains. If only, if only.

• gardengumby

Can we do Hawaii instead of Mexico?  I'll go for margaritas or mai-tais!!  and the water is so warm and restful!  Dang! let's go!!!

• Howdy all -- Just checking in again to let newbies know that not everyone experiences these assorted side effects on Femara/Letrozole.

I remember the first time I visited this thread, I was about to embark on my 5-years of this stuff, and what I read here scared me so much that I almost did not take the pills! (and I can see that others have reacted the same way from some fairly recent posts).

So -- Here I am to remind us all that while side effects can indeed be real, every body is unique, and each of  us are in our own individual state of health. Some of us are older/younger, more over-weight or slim, we get more exercise or less, take supplements that help -- or don't. Some of us came into this Femara/Letrozole game already suffering anxiety, depression or sleeplessness, and things like hair thinning, hot-flashes, joint aches/pains etc can be from other causes, including simple aging -- or perhaps (like in my case) a lack of exercise post surgery due to complications (in my case cording in my left arm caused by the removal of 13 lymph nodes during my mastectomy).

Some of us have had chemo/radiation prior to the Femera/Letrozole... and so some of the side effects attributed here to the pills may actually be residual after-effects of chemo/radiation or lessened activity.

This is not to diminish the fact that Femara/Letrozole can have their own (very real) side effects -- but also please remember that women who are taking these drugs and feeling GOOD -- are more than likely not posting here -- they are probably just out enjoying their lives.

So, I said (months ago) that I would lurk (I have been -- still read every post as they are sent into my email) and that I would continue to post every few months with an update re my own experience... and here goes... NOTHING REALLY TO REPORT! 

YAY! I will reiterate what many women have posted -- for me, exercise (lots of walking) and supplements: Glucosomine for the joints and magnesium at night (to help sleep as well as to better utilize the calcium I take), Vitamin E and D and C on top of a good multi-vitamin... as well as some other propriatary blends from Melaleuca and Blue Green Algae (which may or maybe not be helping, but it all seems to be working and for the most part I feel great!). I take my Letrozole at night (and I don't feel sleepy/lethargic during the day). 

I eat as healthy a diet as I can manage, with lots of fresh fruit/vegetable, organic/free-range meats and as little processed food, sugar, wheat/cereal as possible, plus I don't drink alcohol very often, and keep my mind active with positive activities. I spend a lot of time outdoors, enjoying nature and the healing warmth/light of the sun. I look up at the stars at night -- which I believe helps keep my problems in perspective. 

When I so occasionally think that I might be feeling a 'side effect' -- I try to keep an open mind that perhaps I just am a little 'off' that day, for a variety of unique reasons, and I concsiously decide to NOT worry, and NOT embrace it as a 'side-effect'-- until it seems exceptionally prolonged or intense, because our minds are powerful, and can easily intensify our pains and give them more 'meaning' if we encourage it to!

Again -- I feel extremely lucky to report that so far (in my now 10 months on the drug) I have experienced nothing more than fleeting joint pain which is (so far) always relieved by getting up and taking a long walk each day... and an occasional hot flash-- but then I was having them prior to cancer -- I am 58 years old, and some things just come with being this age.

I encourage those with joint pain to try gentle walks out in the beautiful outdoors -- and to talk to your oncologist (or a good Naturopath) about glucosimine, calcium, magnesium and other potential supplements.

Again -- none of this is meant to diminish the very real health problems had by some who take these anti-cancer/estrogen-reducing medications. 

However, a positive outlook, good diet and regular gentle exercise is good for ANYTHING that may ail us-- and sure can't hurt!

My own experience is that with my unique body, my own unique circumstances, my own unique cancer... I am doing GREAT almost one year post double mastectomy, and even after several biopsies, a lumpectomy, double mastectomy, months of physical therapy for the cording/lymph issues... and two reconstructive breast surgeries -- I actually feel happier and healthier than I did prior to my diagnosis (in May of 2012).

Here's wishing you ALL the very best in this dance with breast cancer... I have personally found there are many more blessings in these lessons than there have been losses. 

On New Year's day this year, I told my boyfriend that I was stunned to realize that I had just experienced the very best year of my life! Considering that my diagnosis and several surgeries including double mastectomy happened in that year -- that is a pretty strong testimony to how powerful is our ability to choose JOY and Happiness. A positive attitude can help mitigate (to at least some extent) even the worst possibilities. Feeling "old" or "creaky" is in our minds... and once we accept those terms as 'the way our lives now are' -- then it does, indeed, become the way our life now is. 

I encourage you all to live life in every single moment as if NOTHING IS WRONG.

To at least a large extent, our bodies and minds will rise to that suggestion.

However, if you constantly seek/fear the negatives, then pain and discomfort become the world in which we dwell. Our minds will find the proof for whichever 'reality' we hope to prove correct.

My encouragement is to look for the lessons, enjoy every single moment, and to reach for your dreams. No matter what is ahead of us -- we still have THIS MOMENT. 

Our lives are taking place NOW.

Love and play hard -- no benefit in waiting!

Therefore -- Charlie-the-Dog and I are going out into the sunshine to take a walk, listen to the wind in the trees, see the birds fly overhead! :)

My very best to every woman here! 

Linda

• BayouBabe

While I am glad Linda's journey with Femara has been a good one, all of us metabolize these drugs differently. My side effects are very real. I do not focus on the negative, I am a healthy weight, exercise regularly, eat healthy, etc. I am 45 years old, and a 45 year old body is not meant to be depleted of estrogen and should not wake me from sleep crying because my bones hurt so badly. I have tried everything in my power to lessen my side effects, but they are still here.

Everyone needs to understand that their experiences may or may not be exactly like someone else's. You need to try the drug yourself and see if your body handles it well. People write on this thread not to scare others, but because they are trying to manage their own very REAL side effects. I do not mean to sound snarly, but feeling old is not in my mind. This drug seriously negatively affects me, even with exercise, supplements, positive thinking, eating, etc. My body, my truth. May others experiences be different.

• gardengumby

Linda - I am so very glad that you are not experiencing side-effects from femara/letrozole.  The fact that this has been the best year of your life is very good to hear.  You are happy.  That's excellent.

The fact is, though, as BB said above, everyone's experience is not the same.  Everyone's body is not the same.  The fact that you don't have side effects is grand - it doesn't, however, mean that other people are basically wishing them on themselves by negative thinking.  If you ask my family and co-workers, you'll find that I'm one of the more positive people around.  I don't think negatively, don't eat in an unhealthy manner.  I have side effects.  They are VERY real.  I believe strongly that once I can sleep as much as my body now seems to demand, they will lessen.  The fact is, though, that I am changing my life plans due to the side-effects of the drug.  That is not a small thing, nor something that I wouldn't change through positive thinking if I could.

The fact that you don't experience the side effects does not mean that mine are in my mind, and I've got to say that the fact you don't experience them doesn't mean that you are a positive person.  It means that your particular body doesn't have an issue with them.  That's really great for you, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.  Enjoy the sun and the stars and the wonderful world we live in and meanwhile give thanks from the bottom of your heart that you don't have to put up with what some of us do have to put up with - even while taking supplements and exercising and eating healthy and all the rest.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790

Linda, as BB says, our bodies are all different and I too am a very positive and upbeat person. However, I do have real side effects that do not allow me to do everything I once could. To say that we should live our lives as if nothing is wrong is much easier said than done. All of us desperately want to do that but S/E restrict some of us

more than others. Yes, be very grateful you don't suffer the way some of us do. Yes, enjoy your life to the fullest as the rest of us are trying to do also....😊

• "Again -- none of this is meant to diminish the very real health problems had by some who take these anti-cancer/estrogen-reducing medications."

Three or four times I said things like this -- and yet somehow at least two women have obviously taken my (intended) encouragement for newbies personaly -- as a dismissal of their actual and real side effects. 

Dang. Every one of us here has breast cancer. Every one of us here has our own fragile moments. Some post here to vent. Some post in hopes of finding some treatment/therapy/supplement that might help relieve side effects or other health related issues. Some post to offer encouragement to others... which was my intent.

I only know that when I first read posts re the worst side effects, I nearly did not take the pills. I know that my oncologist thinks Femara/Letrozole is a huge plus in my arsenol -- and I was almost so worried about the potential side effects that I didn't put this tool in my toolbox.

So -- I post here (I repeat) not to diminish any of the (very real) side effects that some suffer -- but to reassure women new to this site and new to the drug that not everyone will suffer the side effects that some describe here. I for one, have NOT.

I am not saying that either GardenGumby or BayouBabe are negative people or manufacturing their side effects! I don't know either person, and have no reason to believe they are creating more pain for themselves than they need to.

I am only saying that if NEW people go into this looking for the worst -- they may bring it on themselves. Not saying that GG or BB have done that at all -- just that in ANY circumstance it is great to do your research and be informed -- but perhaps best to try not to focus too heavily on the potential negatives, because your mind is powerful and can create the worst for you if that is what you have programmed yourself to believe.

SOME people have these more debilitating side effects. SOME people don't. 

As I said before, "while side effects can indeed be real, every body is unique, and each of  us are in our own individual state of health."

48 is not 'old'. 58 is not old either! But neither of those ages can expect to feel like someone who is 25, and by 45-55 many many women are experiencing deteriorating levels of estrogen (which is what Femara/Letrozole are all about) and normal side effects of menopause can include many of the side effects of these drugs. My sister does not have cancer and never has. But from 45-60 she has experienced increasing hair loss, thinning skin, joint pains, lethargy. Some of these things are just part of aging. Again -- this is NOT to say that BB, GG, and others have not experienced their symptoms due to the drugs, or their cancer. Just trying to balance out the idea that cancer is not at the core of every thing we experience... although sometimes it is easy to get into that mind set.

Please please please -- can we give each other the benefit of the doubt? I am not attacking anyone or doubting the discomfort/pain that some people obviously DO feel on this drug. I am only attempting to reassure people new to the drugs that they may have little or even NO noticible reaction to Letrozole/Femnara... and if they go into it with a positive attitude, whatever side effects there are will absoleutely be lessened... because that is the way in ANY stressful or painful situation. 

My wonderful father died (of cancer) six months before my diagnosis. I spent his last year as his primary care-taker -- taking him to countless surgeries, chemo, radiation, treatments. My sister and mother saw it as 'tragedy' and still (2 years later) are in grief. I lived in Hospice with my father for the last month of his life, and had the most incredible experience of living with him through his processing and acceptance of his impending death. For me it was an amazing opening of spirit, and a joyous deepening of our connection. In many ways, I am actually closer to him now than ever before, and I wish my mother and sister could have the peace around his death that I do. 

But we each are different.

They wrote it as tragedy.

I wrote it as our last great adventure together. 

Mental attitude is amazingly powerful. Nothing is gained by looking for the worst. I am not saying that what GG anf BB experience is not real. I am not saying that it is all in their mind. They say they are positive people -- and I have no reason to think they aren't!

I never said (and do not believe) that our physical bodies don't experience real illness or pain -- that everything is psychosymatic. I am only saying that if we expect bad things to happen, then no matter what happens, we will experience it as 'bad'. That isn't to say that some things aren't actually painful! Only that it is worse if you make it so.

So my encouragement is to expect the best (in all situations, not just around Femara/Letrozole). Expect it to not be bad. Then deal with whatever comes, knowing that all pain and all emotions are temporary... it all will pass eventually.

Again, my best to every woman here. Your experience will be your own. Hopefully you will realize and utilize your own power to think positively and make it the best experience possible!

I know that my goal is on each and every New Years from now forward -- to be able to honestly say that I have just (again) experienced the very best year of my life!

Linda

• BayouBabe

Linda - I did not mean to offend you in any way. And, even though I read the parts of your post you quoted, I still felt the need to respond. I am a huge believer that attitude affects our well being. It has been what has got me through this past year, and continues to do so. However, no positive attitude will help the severity of my side effects, nor do any of the other things you have mentioned, that I whole heartedly believe in and have tried. I have a huge pain tolerance, and still I feel crippled by this drug. I believe that those of us who experience these side effects are experiencing a type of "allergic reaction" to it. A person who is affected by poison ivy can do nothing to make its effect disappear, other than to avoid contact. For me, Femara is my poison ivy. I can itch, I can scratch, I can use calamine lotion. But only by avoiding Femara, can I truly alleviate my symptoms. Yes, I can forget about them for a while, but they are still there, and affect me daily.

I will never understand why some of our BC journeys can be easy, and others of us have a rockier road. Life is not fair. I wish it was. Thank you for sharing what has worked for you, and I hope it does help others. But, I still honestly feel it has worked for you because you do not have a Femara "allergy" so to speak. Count your blessings, and I will count mine, though they are in different areas. Peace and hugs Linda.

• dventi
    dventi Member Posts: 100

BayouBabe - thanks for info on tooth pain.  What bothers me is that I asked MO if this is an SE and he said Oh nooooooo,

C'mon now... are you and I the only ones who have had this SE?  or is that woman are not voicing their SE to MO's.

Just baffles me.  

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740

I recently started having tooth pain too! I thought it was probablky from the xgeva shots though. My teeth have always been sensitive to cold, and now there is an area, or maybe just a tooth, on the bottom right that has become extremely sensitive to cold, hot, and sweet. I just recently had my dental cleaning as well as xrays, and it doesn't feel exactly like a cavity either, so I don't think its that. I hadn't even considered it could be from L.

• gardengumby

Linda - as I said before, I really am very glad you are not experiencing side effects.  You are lucky - some of us are not so lucky.  I understand that you were writing to the newbies among us, and attempting to convey the message that not everyone gets side effects.  That is a good thing to do, and one that many of us have attempted to convey.  However, the people who write here - as you noted - are not generally speaking the ones who don't experience side effects.  We - generally speaking - are the ones who do.  We do not look for the side effects - we don't want the side effects - many of us came into the use of this drug with no expectations of side effects at all - it was only after taking the drug and experiencing things we had never experienced before that we looked to see what had happened with other people also taking the drug. 

Two years ago I literally would run downstairs and had absolutely no problem walking up 4 or 5 flights of stairs at a pretty fair speed - and, in fact did so every day. Now it is agony to walk up and down stairs, and instead I will choose to walk up or down a ramp if possible.  My joints hurt, my hips will seize up and sometimes when moving from a sitting to standing position I actually have to move my leg with my hands.  For me to read your words "feeling old or creaky is in our minds" is pretty insulting.  You encourage those with pain to seek out a naturopath and take supplements.  I take a lot of supplements - and they help - but they do not solve the problem.  I also encourage anyone who is taking this or any other western drug to seek out alternative medicine as an adjuvant, as it most assuredly does help with many of the side effects.  In addition to supplements such as glucosamine, curcumin, magnesium, fish oil, biotin and others, I encourage people to get regular massages and to try acupuncture.  I do all of those - and they all help.  If I forget to take my supplements I will pay for it.  When I get a massage or acupuncture I move better.

Positive attitude is always a good thing, and as you say, if you think bad things will happen, you will increase the chance they will.  But you can look on life with a bright eye, think only positive thoughts and still get hit by a truck. 

• GG -- The idea of "old and creaky" is in our minds. Never meant to be insulting -- but "old and creaky"  is only a concept -- a description.

Some people who are genuinely old -- in their 80's or 90's -- would still never define themselves as being "old and creaky", because if they did -- they would begin to actually BE "old and creaky". It would become a part of their constant reality.

I don't doubt for a minute that your pains are real, and what BB said about some people having an allergic (or similar-to-allergic) reaction to these drugs is, I believe, spot on. For some people these side effects can reallly be debilitating -- they are much more pronounced for a very few.

For instance -- I am allergic to Benedryl. What is given to most people to reduce allergic symptoms like rash or nervousness, actually causes me to hyper ventilate, become extremely anxious and even have hallucinations! In fact, most doctors don't seem to believe me, until I finally ran across a doctor who had the same sort of reactions! Therefore -- I also understand how frustrating it can be for people (perhaps like BB and GG) who have very real reactions to the medication, that perhaps some doctors dismiss. 

However, as both GG and BB have suggested, I also see 'alternative' healers, and they continually stress the necessity to 'not embrace' pain and discomfort as "the way things are for me". All of life in in constant flux. Just because I feel pain in this moment, I may not in the next. But if I anticipate that the pain will be on-going-- my brain can take that and run with it. 

In fact, my cranial/sachraal practitioner gently corrected me the first time I told him that I "had cancer".

"Don't say that" he calmly coached me. "Nearly everyone by the age of 50 has some cancer cells in their body... but what is 'cancer'? It is only your very own cells, which have been stimulated into over-action. They eat and eat and forget to die. And our bodies have wonderful built-in measures to counteract those over-achiever cells... like our lymph nodes that act as filters to collect them and then encapsulate them, to keep them under control. Our white blood cells and T-cells are always on the prowl to encapsulate these over-active "gllutton" cells that have forgotten how to die." So, our bodies are already in the process of correcting these cancer cells -- the drugs and surgeries we choose are in addition to what our bodies have already begun.

He (strongly) coached me to NOT say "I have cancer" as if it were a state of being... to to instead say "I have some cancer cells, and my body is dealing with them." He coached me to never dwell any longer than absolutely necessary with descriptions about the exact pain, except briefly to a healer or someone who might be able to understand that description in order to prescribe/offer a solution... because the more we SAY something about negative feelings/pain-- the more our brains develop patterns that reinforce that negative thing. Luckily, it works the other direction, too. The more we dwell on the positives, the more our brains provide positive connections... and we see blessings more than burdens.

This is as true of acute and debilitating pain as it is about minor pain. Not that by 'not thinking about it' you will never again feel pain -- only that by embracing the pain as a part of you, it reinforces more intense feeling of that pain. 

Not everyone belives this way, obviously.

But it sounds as if (at least to some extent) both GG and BB, do -- so I hope this makes my (apparently seemingly insensitive) statement about "old and creaky" more understandable.

And as far as "fair" goes... Well.

I am the first to admit that I feel extremely lucky with the way my last 18 months since diagnosis has gone. How much of this is attitude -- my choosing to see the best and ignore the worst as only fleeting -- who can say? I only know that I DO feel lucky -- and that my journey has contained more blessings than burdens.

Even though I have been self-employed and what most people would probably consider "poor" my entire adult life, I thank my lucky-stars that I had the foresight to purchase good health insurance in my twenties -- and to keep paying on it every month... which, now that I need it, has allowed me more choices than many have. I was able to see the best doctors in my area, and when they couldn't offer the reconstruction I wanted (DIEP), I was able to go to San Antonio and get the surgery I felt best suited my situation and desires.

I feel amazingly lucky that my oncotype was so low that recent studies say that radiation/chemo would do more harm than good -- so I did not have them. (However, others might feel differently -- and think that it is a shame that I did not have the benefit of having chemo/radiation in my arsenol). 

I am blessed (I think) that my cancer is slow-growing -- the oncologist and radiologist I consulted both think that I probably have had this growing in my body for 10 years or more-- so that if I do have a relapse somewhere else, my hope is that it will also be slow-growing and not affect my quality of life too drastically. However, some would say that is NOT good... because cancer cells had 10 years to travel through the lymph and blood streams prior to diagnosis and surgery.

I am blessed to have been dating a wonderful man at the time of my diagnosis, and that he stepped up to the challenge of being my constant partner through all these surgeries and treatments. In fact, I believe that this cancer experience has brought us much MUCH closer -- because I share an honesty with him that I never had before in relationships.

My cancer made me love my body more -- however it looks, it is still moving me around, and for that I am extremely thankful! I used to be very critical of the 'lumps and bumps' and 'all the imperfections' -- I called it 'modest' -- but all that is gone now that Les has had to help me bathe, change dressings, apply ointments, etc, etc, etc. 

I think the most important thing to remember (as bothe BB and GG have also said) is that each of us is unique. Our bodies, our surgeries, our treatments, our past experiences, and (especially) our current attitudes -- who can know which specific factor will cause us the best or worst result?

But, my oncologist says that back when she only had Tamoxifen to prescribe, many more women had severe complications with the drug. My oncologist says that in her experience, only 2-3% of her patients will suffer debilitating side-effects with Femara/Letrozole -- and that many of those in the 2-3% can allieviate at least the very worst of the symptoms with supplements and exercise -- so that the symptoms become tolerable.

I highlight this -- because, again, I mostly was posting here to try to alliviate the fears of new women just starting their Femara/Letrozole, who, reading about the severe SEs discussed here on this thread might (as I almost did) decide to not even try the drugs.

I am very truly sorry that some (like apparently GG and BB) fall into this 2-3% catagory -- and this thread offers a great place for those few who do suffer to support each other and pass good information forward. 

But many many people who visit this thread are frightened women who just recently had a lumpectomy or mastectomy and maybe radiation and chemo -- and now have been presented another hurdle to pass -- 5 years of a drug they are frightened of.

So -- once again -- my purpose in being here is to reassure THOSE women that they most likely will NOT have severe side effects -- and that if they stay positive and don't go looking for pain, they probably will be able to not experience it. 

To GG and BB and all the rest who DO have severe complications/allergies to this drug -- I wish you all the very best. Positive attitude and "not owning" the discomfort as something that "is" can help diminish the severity of what you must endure... no matter HOW severe the pain. This doesn't mean it will make the symptoms 'go away' -- only lessen them to the same degree that dwelling on them makes them worse. 

According to my mentors, every time you accept the pain/discomfort/disability as 'the way my life now is' -- the more your brain will feed that pattern... and the more concrete the disability becomes. According to new studies, our bodies actually respond to our thoughts on a cellular level, so all negative thought can potentially have physical consequences on a cellular level.

Anyone who has used visualization, positive feedback, or affirmations can attest to the potential benefit of thinking only about "health" and "feeling strong" -- and the potential detriment of thinking about "pain" or "cancer".

Consciously directing our brains to think about the positives and NOT the negatives-- is a powerful tool for us, if we choose to utilize it. I am not talking about pie-in-the-sky denial of what is -- only of thinking of the pain/disability (when we must consider it) as a fleeting part of this journey -- in much the same we each got through our surgeries. One foot in front of the other. 

And if the symptoms are truly unbearable - talk to your oncologist about what your other options are.

After all, Femara/Letrozole only lessens our chances of recurrance. It doesn't guarentee cancer won't surface again. Just like not-having-chemo or not-having-radiation or not-having-reconstruction -- we have many, many choices. Western medicine does not have all the answers -- we are part of a great experiment, and the standard of care keeps shifting as more studies are completed. So far (according to what I have read and what my oncologist says) Femara/Letrozole seems to be quite effective, even more so than Tamoxifen, and with less SEs for most.

But not-taking-Femara/Letrozole is a viable option -- if your SEs prove debilitating and your current actual quality of life is more important to you than potential future improvement in your statistics re non-reoccurance. 

OK -- I hope I clarified that my intent was never to insult anyone -- only to make the point that our positive thoughts are a potential powerful part of our arsenol. 

Wishing you all the MOST comfort and BEST health possible -- with the hope that you live moment to moment in the anticipation of all the wonderful things ahead. :)

Linda

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Holy toledo girls.  I have been on Femara/Letrozole for 3 yrs, 10 months, 28 days.  Initially I had major fatigue, joint pain (random & transitory).  After my 1st yr, I took a 6 week Femara vacation (my onc DOESNT know this).  Since then I can honestly say that I have no SE (other than my inability to lose weight-which may or may not be Femara related Laughing); I believe that my aches & pains MAY be from the drug, MAY be my age (59), MAY be my lifestyle, MAY be life.  I intend to finish this drug on November 16, 2014 & never look back.

I appreciate it when those of us who have been on the drug continue to post for those just coming on board.  I am so happy that there are varying experiences for newbies to read.  We need to reach out & be encouraging.  Let's not lose sight of that.  Rants & raves are instructional too, but so is positivity.  We are all in the same boat, no matter our individual journeys that led us here.  Peace! 

• dventi
    dventi Member Posts: 100

Hello fellow Femara'ers... has anyone had tingling in the lip area from Femara.. I have heard about the tingling in fingers, toes, feets.. anyone experience the tingling on the lip? 

• gardengumby

I haven't had any lip tingling - or any other tingling, either Smile

Also, earlier in the thread you asked about tooth pain as a side effect and your MO's response.  I haven't personally experienced tooth pain - but I have experienced frustration at the Dr's office!!!  My frustration is actually not with my MO herself, but rather with her PA (who I'd like to avoid seeing). The last office visit she asked how I was.  I said I had joint and muscle pain, but it was manageable and that I was tired.  Her response was "Fatigue isn't a side-effect of letrozole" uhhhhh excuse me, but ANY internet search shows that fatigue is definitely an SE.  So, what I'm trying to say is that just because the dr hasn't seen a specific thing does not mean it isn't a side effect - it doesn't mean it is, either, though.  Laughing

• pattithenurse
    pattithenurse Member Posts: 57

I'm new to this forum. I started taking Armidex the first part of July,and I seem to have unresolved diarrhea. The doc on call called a prescription in for Femara,and I haven't picked it up yet. I need to get a handle on my digestive system. But.......you girls are doing okay with this med,in the overall pic? thanks for listening........

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Hi Patti, I had terrible SEs with Arimadex but virtually none with Femara and the ones I had have gone as quickly as they came for the most part. Here's hoping that the Femara is as kind to you.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Rosie24355
    Rosie24355 Member Posts: 46

I'll vote for Hawaii too.  The water is a little warmer. 

As others have said, everybody is different.  I am on my 8th non-consecutive month with Femara.  Have taken 3 breaks in past year due to other issues.  I did some searching on google to see any research on how effective Femara is at keeping BC from recurring.  I found only 2 sites that said it looks like it is 20%-30%.  Has anyone seen anything different?  I would really like to read anything regarding percentages.  (A higher percentage would be more encouraging)

I haven't even lurked on here for months because I'm one of those that has minor side effects and a busy job & life.  To the person asking about if they should take this or not, I would say to take it and see what happens.  It's not for everyone but I believe most of us learn to live with the SE's.  I'm not real happy with some of them and I have had to adjust/eliminate some things from my life but it's still LIFE! 

• pattithenurse
    pattithenurse Member Posts: 57

Thank you Chrissy. Any input is appreciated. I hope to hear from the Naturopath tomorrow for some help with the diarrhea. It's not sooo bad,it's just.. ...."unpredictable"!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Patti, yes, mostly fine, and no intestinal issues. I would urge you to get some probiotics, if you haven't already. They may help rehab your poor intestines.

• Bookwormtoo
    Bookwormtoo Member Posts: 10

I haven't been here for a while. I am at the end of my rope with letrizole. I have never been good with any meds and this week has been rough. I have been taking it for about 6 months and I'm not sure I can keep up with it. The joint pain is bad and now has moved to my jaw. It came on suddenly and doesn't seem to be resolving. I see my onc. in a couple of weeks and will need a serious discussion. I wonder if every other day would help?

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045

Bookworm, I had terrible joint pain at six months.  I was walking with a cane.  By nine months it was easing a bit and has progressively gotten better.  For me the 6 - 9 months was the hardest.  I also started taking 6 grams of fish oil, which is suppose to help with joint pain, so it may have helped too.  

• sbab49
    sbab49 Member Posts: 30

I put off taking Femara for 7 weeks due to all the posts of horrible side affects. It sat on my counter and daily I pushed it aside. I finally mustered up the courage to give it a try. Although it has only been a few weeks, so far all is well. I realize that the side affects could raise their ugliness somewhere down the road, but for now I can honestly say that the only side affect I have experienced is hot flashes, but they have been tolerable. I have a poor track record for handling different meds. Can't take statins, some anitibiotics, codeine and most other opiates. Because of these intolerances I was very fearful of what se's I would experience on Femara. I am very greatful that so far the experience has been suprisingly uneventful. I will post any changes but hoping all continues to stay the course.

• chrissyb

Sbab, I'm so glad that all is going well for you so far.......I'm like you and very sensitive to most meds but Femara has been very tolerable with few SEs for me. Hopefully you will do just fine for the given time.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• Bookwormtoo
    Bookwormtoo Member Posts: 10

I was dealing with the BC just fine, but this drug has really knocked me for a loop. Before the drug, I hiked, exercised and has a relatively decent body shape. Now I have spare tire and I can't exercise because of the pain in my knees. I'm trying to stay upbeat but I will have to talk to my onc about quality of life issues versus BC risk. I am taking the generic version of Femara (letrozole) does anyone think that it makes a difference?

• chrissyb

Bookworm many do better on Femara (the brand) rather than Letrozole (generic). The active ingredient is the same but the fillers they use can be anything and quite often we have a reaction to those which compound the effects of the drug itself.

Do you take fish oil and glucosamine? They do help a little with the painful knees.

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• sbab49
    sbab49 Member Posts: 30

I am actually taking the generic (letrozole) and so far so good. Th

Thanks chrissyb. It is because of your positive support that I was able to talk myself into taking the letrozole. I hope all conitinues to go well.

• micheleboots
    micheleboots Member Posts: 885

Sbab, glad you jumped right in.  It might be ok for you.  It has been for me.

I take letrazole as well.

• sammiryan
    sammiryan Member Posts: 17

Hi everyone

I have now been on letrazole for three months, and because of this I had to ring my mum to apologise. I used to be so intollerant of her complaints about her hips and knee joints etc. I would say 'Just get along with it'. Well, now I feel really bad. I am a teacher who used to run up and down the stairs, move around the classroom easily and sit down cross-legged with the kids. I now (at the age of 46) have to hold railings to get up and down the stairs, find walking a long distance very hard on my heels and getting up from sitting is a very difficult task. I am pleased with the results of being on the drug, my tumour markers are at an all-time low, so thats great. I do feel old and uncomfortable, but would rather this than the scary alternative that having Stage 4 cancer would resut in.

It is shit and cancer does suck.

Take care all of you.

Sam