Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

FEMARA

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

I will investigate eating fresh turmeric root (there are plenty of supermarkets here with extensive ethnic produce sections) as well as ginger; and ask at Whole Paycheck around the corner about kelp supplements. (Would eating sushi nori do the same thing? I love the stuff).

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181

I'm guessing salty Kelp is not good for Cardiology problems.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541

I was switched to aromasin from femara to see if it would help with joint pain. It hasn't as the main cause is arthritis and I am looking at a probable hip replacement soon. My rehab doc at Sloan Kettering recommended cucurmin to help with inflammation. It hasn't made much difference to date. I am done with active treatment at this point so don't need to worry about interactions with chemo or herceptin / perjeta infusions. Love, Jean

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

I've gained weight too. Ugh.

If you are a tea driner, look into brassica tea. Formulated at Johns Hopkins it has all the broccoli extract you need. And it just tastes like tea.

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626

I go to Hopkins Minday as a follow up for my pain and stiffness. Who makes the tea? Is it supposed to help the pain? I never heard of it.

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210

Yeah, Jen who makes this tea?  Tea is the only thing I drink. 

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160

Windingshores

I bet it was dehydration and stress. Take it easy. I take Letrozole and Ibrance and I have to get my aortic valve replaced with in a year due to stenosis. I'm 59. My MO and Cardiologist periodically discuss my case and they have never been concerned about Letrozole. I had another echocardiogram and a stress test yesterday and I did ok till they had me almost jogging uphill.

So, stay hydrated and like my cardio told me, pay attention to how you are feeling. Dial it back when you start to notice tightness and the shortness of breath pain or whatever you felt before you ended up on that bench. The paying attention part is good advice. How are you feeling now?

Ellen

• Hygeia
    Hygeia Member Posts: 22

Try Baltimore Coffee and Tea Company. They carry brassica.  And the brassicas are plants in the cabbage family: i.e., broccoli, cabbage, kohlrabi, cauliflower, etc.--all very good antioxidents.  For more detail simply Google brassica tea.

Good health,

Hygeia

PS:  I've been on letrozole since April of this and fortunately have had no troublesome SEs.

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160

Elle lou thanks for answering. I am sorry you are dealing with heart issues as well as breast cancer. I sent you a private message :) I had to fly out to care for one of my kids who was sick 3,000 miles away from home, and also did not drink much. I have another plane ride to get home and need to move the next day and then will be able to go back to Tai Chi and walks on the beach and paying attention to how I am feeling. In the meantime, have calcium channel blocker on hand and will do a benzo preventatively before the plane- and will drink water!! Thank you!! Relieved at your opinion about Femara. In my situation it makes sense to look at other factors :)

• Chloesmom

Thanks Hygeia! i see they have a place in Timonium. Will stop there tomorrow on the way to see the doctor down at Hopkins. Got a great physiatrist there who specializes in cancer rehab and used to be a PT. she really understands how the SEs are limiting my mobility. i see a PT in Lancaster twice a week for the cording and seroma Keeps me busy

• marijen

Elle Lou, just this year there is a new procedure for AS, it is call TAVR, you can search. No need to do open heart surgery if you qualify - they go up the vein in your leg. FYI

• mimipickle

Marijen--I met with a surgeon and his plan was to go in with a small incision in the cleavage area and put in a tissue valve. I'm not sure why not TAVR except maybe I can handle the more invasive surgery. If you can, maybe it is better? That's a good question.

Pamela--I sent you a pm back.

• marijen

Elle Lou, I don't know except I might need one in 10 years. Last year he said five years. It's not progressing so he changed to 10 years, anything can happen by then. AS is due to calcification just like the breast cancer. I found two tablespoons apple cidar vinegar in warm water is supposed to break up the calification but who knows - there are so many remedies out there. It doesn't hurt and it helps my stiffness. You can search read at livestrong.

• Hygeia
    Hygeia Member Posts: 22

Chloe's Mom,

I go to Hopkins too and live in Pennsylvania.  I'm so thankful for the resources available to us, including this site.

Incidentally, today I ordered via the Internet a variety of brassica teas from Truebroc Brassica, also in Baltimore and signed up for their newsletter.  Oh, each box of tea is $5.99-- not bad.

Good health as you continue to recover.

~Hygeia

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

I get the tea online at the Balitimore Tea Co. It doesn't help with pain, etc, just aids with the prevention on recurrence.

• thinkingpositive
    thinkingpositive Member Posts: 564

thanks so much for posting on thumb pain. I really started worrying about the pain as it just started about two weeks ago and my mind Started going places that it shouldn't be going. It's my left thumb and at times I am barely bend it. The pain seems to be in both of the joints of my left thumb. I am currently on Fermara for the past eight months. I also just started taking actonel and since then I've had the joint pain in thumb. I was told I have osteoporosis the beginning of it at a -2.5 in my lower spine. The day after I started the actonel I started to have a weird sensation in the spine area. Tha area that is osteoporosis. Of course I worry causing me not to sleep.

• chisandy

By the time the cider vinegar is absorbed by the stomach lining almost NONE of it will be in the bloodstream to reach and clear blocked arteries (assuming it CAN even do that). You'll probably have urinated it out by then. (Or have given yourself reflux). I know we grasp at straws wanting to be as natural, holistic and noninvasive as possible, as well as to flip the bird at both Big Pharma and the medico-surgical complex; but our forebears used natural remedies and died younger than our generation, especially from cardiovascular disease.

• marijen

I would not give up my cidar vinegar in water, as soon as I started it I had relief. Less stiffness, less heaviness.

• chisandy

What does arterial stenosis have to do with stiffness or heaviness? The cardiovascular and musculoskeletal systems are two "different animals.” (Unless by “AS” you meant “acetabular syndrome.” But still, anatomically and biochemically, by what mechanism does ingesting some form or another of acetic acid relieve soft tissue injury)?

• mimipickle

ChiSandy, I think Marijen means that the vinegar helps with her joint pain and stiffness. I have no idea if that works myself. I just drink beer :)

• marijen

That's right Elle Lou, I read at livestrong that it was good for dissolving calcifications, and there are a lot of ailments (long list) it's good for, so I tried it and it helped my stiffness and pain.

• Chloesmom

Now have both thumbs trigger thumbs and arthritis in the metacarpal phalangel joints Starting hand OT next week. Can't open a jar or bottle top.

• marijen

How long have you been on the Femara? Sometimes the sides grow less after a few months....

• Chloesmom

Started anastrozole in April. Got arthritis in hands, Switched to aromas in in June - worse. Switched to Femara the beginning of July.

• mimipickle

Just a thought here--over in the stage IV bone mets thread that I usually am on, there has been discussion about the different generic brands of Femara. I've had SunPharma and Teva. Several people thought Teva had fewer side effects, so when I get mine refilled I ask for Teva and I have very mild se. If that discussion was actually in this thread, then oops.

• marijen

I looked it up and there are quite a few pharmaceutical companies that make letrozole..... now that's confusing - don't they have to have the same ingredients?

http://www.findacode.com/ndc/drugs/LETROZOLE

Mine is made at Roxane Laboratories..

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860

The "fillers" are not mandated, only the actual drug, so different companies can use different "filler" ingredients. Some people can have stronger reactions to some fillers than to others.

• marijen

Here are the inactive ingredients of letrozole - why so many?

Inactive Ingredients: Lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, polyethylene glycol, polyvinyl alcohol, pregelatinized starch, talc, titanium dioxide, and yellow iron oxide

• Wildflower2015
    Wildflower2015 Member Posts: 223

So is this the same polyethylene glycol that is under scrutiny for being in cosmetics? Warnings against applying it to broken skin, and yet ok to keep ingesting it daily for 5 or more years? Huh.

Dangers of PEG Compounds in Cosmetics: Women at Increased Breast Cancer Risk? http://www.phend.co.za/health/Chemical5.htm

Dirty Dozen Cosmetic Chemicals to Avoid http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/t...

Chemicals in Your Cosmetics PEG Compounds and their Contaminants http://davidsuzuki.org/issues/health/science/toxic...

I'm sure the pharmaceutical argument is going to be, "it's a minute amount" but then, the amount in cosmetics isn't a lot, either, and nobody's swallowing their cosmetics...

Again. Huh.

• marijen

I get you wildflower. My thing is why are all these inactive ingredients necessary.