Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited February 2010

Morning All

Gosh a lot can happen when you are away for three days. ((((((Dar)))))) ((((((((SV)))))))) sending cyber hugs.

Will write more later but have to get dressed to go to playgroup at our church.

Alyson

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2010

Hi Everyone from gloomy Florida,

I am afraid we are not giving Ritajean much in the way of good weather. Gray and damp, not so cold today but I think the whole state is socked in. So sorry, Rita!

The BIG BED move continues and I am exhausted. Last week a king size bed came from another house, up the stairs to our bedroom.  The bed it was replacing came down and has been languishing in the garage temporarily. Today, the queen size bed from the guest house moved (with a lot of moaning and groaning and some cursing) into a downstairs bedroom. Next step... when we recover... is for the kingsize bed from the garage to go into the guesthouse. Then the excess queen bed goes back to the other house.  WE ARE BOTH TOO OLD FOR THIS! I know it sounds like a lot of work for nothing but there is method to all this madness. I love to move furniture around but this is too much.

I am off for a hot shower and an Aleve. Wishing everyone a good day.

pam 

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited February 2010

OK my computer is up at the moment= so here we go- thinking of Dar as I remember surgery too well for any future repeats- I too had DCIS with a BMX and no one wanted to add anything- chemo or rads THANK THE KIND LORD! That was 10/19 and I am doing really well at this point.

SV - well if I were there I would go kick some good as- for you- I always wonder why people can't just be kind to their patients because basically they weren't even kind to you!

Connie I will go do the bump with you-Did I miss something is SV Locked into this one med onc group in a way I don't understand? insurance, lack of options?

Isabella hope all is well with DH- it would make your life easier.

All ladies with bad weather- hang in, Spar dearest I hope you are warm.

Pam, Jackie, Jo, Kathleen, love you all, anyone heard from Gramma of 7?

• ThereIsHope
    ThereIsHope Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2010

Speaking of whales, SV... My daughter who is a nurse told me today that one of her nurse co-workers just got back from working on a type of research project where she was in the ocean and while under water, recorded the beautiful "voices" of the whales communicating with one another.  She played the recording for my daughter and said "you just can't imagine how beautifully awesome this is when you are hearing it for yourself and know that they are miles away and yet still heard."  PODS are like whales, as you said, because we who are on this site come from so many far-away places.  But, being POD-like whales, we are heard and we are in touch and we are not isolated as a result of the distance between us.  I hope you are feeling better today and were able to take another walk on the beach. We have vacationed in the OBX and it is such a beautiful place.  If you get back on the beach anytime soon, write the names Joe and Karen Ryan in the sand for us.  My DH loves the beach and I'll tell him that he and I are there "in spirit" until we return again. 

Everyone else... It is hard for my little old brain (I'm 61) to keep track of you all and everything you are going through.  I am sure as I get to know each of you over time, I'll get better at that.  Just know that I appreciate each one of you sharing your experiences and thoughts.  I've learned so much.  Hugs to you all!  Karen

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2010

Dearest PODS, quick update-I feel into a horrible physical slump today after wonderful walk on the beach yesterday. It is like my body has simply stopped working today and I cannot hold my head up. Talked to dear friend who says, if I did get 4x dose or reacted in a way that it was 4x dose, that the blood cell counts take a nosedive. All 4-5 Chemo treatment folks she has known have had to go in for a 'blood bump" or something. I have no idea what she is talking about but the symptoms she described-like I try to stand and my muscles just shake and I cannot control them. I can barely hold phone to my ear, are all the same. I did call ONC, no call back as of late this eve-HMMM-what a winner this guy is. I feel like I have perniscious anemia. I cannot respond to much tonight and likely need to go to ER tomorrow for blood panels, labs, etc. I dressed to go for walk on the beach and got so woosey, had to undress and lie down-sleeping all day. Sh*t and it a perfect day to play outside. I am moving to make connections with an ONC team from Chapel Hill-out of energy right now. Lots of love, SV

• melissa-5-19
    edited February 2010

OK I just read your last posting SV and you sound as if you have it together, I empathize as I thought I had anesthesia brain for weeks- lost stuff like mad- was traumatized and finally discovered it was depression- but the point is I empathize as my brain didn't quite work right. Yes, we want justice but we also don't want you to feel alone and want you to know we would be there for you- after all we are not call "THE MIGHTY PODS" FOR  no reason. Love you and just tell us what you need.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,328
    edited February 2010

OMG   SV.  I'm not sure what you are referring to either.....but most people on chemo end up needing shots to keep their blood counts up.  I would go to the ER or if you have a PCP who could get you in to do tests --- either way, I would have it done.  Your chemo was some time back and I would not actually be expecting this to be kicking in now --- but who knows what is possible since you were OD'd. 

I'll be praying that you get a fix going and get some help and relief with all of this. 

Hi to everyone else. 

Healing Hugs, Jackie

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

SV, I'm also praying that your OD did no lasting damage.   Glad to see that you will check with another team at Chapel Hill.  Have you called yet old Onc office to put together a copy of all your reports?  This is a lot for you to be dealing with and I would just see an attorney, let them do the work because if they think you have a case and take it on they will get their cut.  Why should you do the initial work then? 

There's no reason you should continue to suffer and wonder if it's because of the OD.  I'm glad you have someone you can take with you for further appts/conversations with med teams.

Hugs

• Ezscriiibe
    Ezscriiibe Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

Echoing Patoo's comments to SV.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2010

Melissa.....(SV)  Just get somewhere as soon as you can....You need more help than you think....Yes, & you must have lots of tests to see what is going on internally with you!   The only reason you need your "Oncology for Dummies" team, is for the records.....not for any advice!

And, just something else to think about....Your State Board, governing Medical  practices & licenses could maybe help....You just need help, right now, & I don't think you are EVER going to get it from that last group of ba****ds!  And you wouldn't WANT to!   I wouldn't feel bad for them, if they get "reported, suspended from practicing, or FIRED for what they did to you!  

Melissa Honey, this is serious....If I were there with you, I would take you to get Emergency help, and rattle a lot of cages!  Your Dogs need you, & your beach is waiting!  I looked up that area where you live....it's waiting for you!  You just gotta get better....And don't forget THIS...you said it, & we are here for you! 

"Oh I just love it!! To me, POD-means like a POD of whales-forever joined thru generations, time, eternity and great wisdom, shaped by the same fierce forces, streamlined by the eons, speaking the same language, working for the same purpose, stronger than the all of the oceans, birthing, maternal, teaching one another the songs of the seas, protecting, playing, eternal in celebrating each other and living in perfect concert for the life, death, and pure joy of the POD. " 

Now go get better .....We love you, Jeannette... 

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2010

SV - Reprint of an article on chemo overdose - thought it might be of interest in that it appears if you survive the overdose you are pretty much ahead of the game.  It also says overdosing on chemo happens more frequently than reported.  Here's the story and I will warn you it is lengthy:

Frantic 43 hours to fix chemo overdose

Health Correspondent Salma Khalik chronicles race to find antidote to save patient. -ST

Tue, Nov 17, 2009
    The Straits Times

By Salma Khalik

It was a hospital's nightmare: A patient had been given a massive chemotherapy drug overdose, and it had happened at the worst possible time, at the start of the weekend late on a Friday night.

KK Women's and Children's Hospital (KKH) pulled out all the stops to try and save Mrs Yip Poh Hung, 44, from the mistake its pharmacists made.

Instead of giving her the drug 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) slowly over five days, they had programmed her infusion pump to dispense the entire amount into her body in just five hours.

The drug is so poisonous that doubling either the dose or the infusion rate could be lethal. Many patients elsewhere have died as a result in spite of treatment at hospitals to counter the ill-effects.

For Mrs Yip, a housewife and mother of two boys, suffering from early cervical cancer, the infusion rate was not just doubled but 24 times the prescribed rate.

But two things worked in her favour - the mistake had been discovered just 10 minutes after she had received the dose, and an antidote to reverse the wrong dosage was available, although it is still in the experimental stage.

The chain of events started on Nov 6 when another patient, sales consultant L.K. Ng, realised that the drug being pumped into her was emptied out in three hours. It was supposed to be dispensed over three days.

Mrs Ng, 51, who has uterine cancer, was at home when it happened and called the hospital at 8.45pm, alerting them to the error. It was only when she turned up at the hospital that they realised the mistake in the pump's programming.

That led to a flurry of frantic calls over the next 12 hours.

The pharmacists called Mrs Yip, the only other cancer patient to have been fitted with an infusion pump that day. When they found out that the same thing had happened, they told her to return to the hospital at once. They knew she was in grave danger.

Mrs Ng, who was on a different drug called doxorubicin, was in lesser danger because her drug could actually have been given in just 15 minutes but her doctor preferred the slower approach.

'Although there was an error, there was no overdose for Mrs Ng,' said Associate Professor Tan Kok Hian, who heads the division of obstetrics and gynaecology at KKH.

The pharmacists had contacted the hospital's resident oncologist, Dr Lim Shai Lay. It was about 11pm and Dr Lim was getting ready for bed when told the news.

'It was very scary,' she recalled.

There was to be little sleep for her that night. 'Do you think I could have slept after hearing that? I was very worried and concerned for the patient.'

As a medical oncologist, she knew the potential dangers of such a massive overdose.

She was the one who told the pharmacists to get the patients back to the hospital immediately. She also spoke to the doctors on duty and told them what to look out for and what to do. She then went on the Internet to look for an antidote she remembered reading about a few months ago.

Information on the antidote was contained in a poster presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (Asco) meeting in June.

The drug was designed specifically to neutralise 5-FU.

A year ago, there would have been nothing available to neutralise the toxic effects of 5-FU, a drug that has been around for a long time and is used in about half the cancer patients on chemotherapy.

But the antidote had yet to receive full approval anywhere in the world, let alone in Singapore.

Fortunately, it had been given 'orphan' drug status by both the US Food and Drug Administration and the European Medicines Agency in May. This means it can be used in an emergency to save a life.

According to the poster by manufacturer Wellstat Therapeutics, 17 patients who had 5-FU overdose had recovered fully after being given the antidote between eight and 96 hours after their overdose. This was despite the heavy overdose 14 of them had received, which would almost inevitably have killed them otherwise.

Of 13 other patients it found who had overdosed on 5-FU but did not receive the antidote, 11 died despite supportive treatment in hospital.

This antidote, vistonuridine, was developed because chemotherapy overdose does occur, although such cases are rarely made public.

Even without an overdose, Dr Lim said, some patients cannot take the drug and react severely against it.

Said Prof Tan of vistonuridine: 'It's the only known antidote for 5-FU. There are such incidents in the United States. That's probably why the drug was developed.'

According to the US National Institutes of Health - the top medical body there - 275,000 patients are prescribed 5-FU there each year. Of this number, 3 per cent experience serious toxic reaction and more than 1,300 die as a result each year.

Wellstat Therapeutics said in its poster at Asco that most overdoses are due to infusion pump error, either mechanical or human, which was what happened at KKH.

That antidote could make a world of difference to whether Mrs Yip pulled through. The problem was getting it to her in time.

Dr Lim told the hospital pharmacists to contact the company to try to get the antidote. She already had the go-ahead from her head of department, who assured her that the hospital would bear the full cost of the purchase.

That came to about $10,000, although the antidote alone costs only US$1,000 (S$1,380).

Luckily, it was still Friday afternoon in Maryland in the US, where Wellstat Therapeutics is based.

Time was of the essence and the order was placed at 1am on Saturday, Singapore time, before any of the necessary clearance was obtained.

Just after 6am, Dr Lim called Mrs Yip's main doctor, Dr Timothy Lim, to give him the bad news. But he had already been informed and was about to rush to the hospital.

There, he explained to Mrs Yip what had happened and promised that the hospital would do all it could to see her through.

'She didn't appear upset, just a little worried,' he said.

But the KKH doctors were not that sanguine that Saturday morning. 'A lot of things had to be done fast,' recalled Prof Tan.

The drug was still experimental, so did the hospital need to convene an ethics committee meeting to get the go-ahead for it? Prof Tan called Professor Chay Oh Moh, chairman of KKH's ethics committee, on Saturday morning.

Prof Chay said there was no time for that. What could be done instead was to get two senior consultants to say they would take the responsibility for using a still experimental drug on a patient.

Associate Professor Philip Yam, head of gynaecological oncology, and Associate Professor Bernard Chern, head of obstetrics and gynaecology, took it upon themselves to give the go-ahead.

Both doctors then went to see the patient and explained what had happened and told her of the new drug they would like to try. She told them to go ahead.

By then it was after 7am on Saturday and the next hurdle was to get the okay from the Health Sciences Authority (HSA).

The antidote has not been approved for use here, so an urgent appeal had to be made to the HSA. Its offices were closed for the weekend and the hospital received a verbal approval from it. The written approval would not arrive till Monday morning, after the patient had received her first dose of the new drug.

An HSA spokesman told The Sunday Times that it allows the use of 'unregistered medicinal products under exceptional medical circumstances, when there is no registered alternative available'.

This was obviously such a case.

That verbal approval was important, said Prof Tan. Without it, Wellstat Therapeutics, which was put on standby the previous night, would not provide the drug.

Once the okay was given, Wellstat Therapeutics sent a representative to carry the medicine on the next flight to Singapore. There is no straight flight from Maryland to Singapore, adding to a more anxious wait at KKH.

The plane landed at 2.40pm on Sunday. The antidote was handed over to a KKH pharmacist waiting at the airport at 3.20pm. By 4pm, Mrs Yip had her first dose of it - about 47 hours after her overdose at around 5pm on Friday. She needed to take 20 doses of the bitter antidote at six-hourly intervals.

Mr Chin Chee Kwong, KKH's chief pharmacist, said the antidote came in a bottle. Each dose had to be carefully weighed. It was then mixed with orange juice to make it more palatable.

By last Friday, Mrs Yip had finished all 20 doses.

Her liver enzymes, which rose following the overdose, indicating possible damage to the liver, have slowly returned to normal.

Dr Soh Lay Tin, a senior consultant at National Cancer Centre and a visiting oncologist at KKH who had prescribed the drugs for the two patients, said Mrs Yip's liver readings are likely to remain stable.

Is she out of danger?

No, she said.

'There's bound to be some damage, but we hope it's not severe. There are other effects that might come on later, such as low blood count - of red cells, white cells and platelet,' she said.

This is part of the normal side effects of chemotherapy and usually occurs 10 days after the session and hitting the bottom in 14 days before recovering, she explained.

'With the overdose, it might be more severe, the dip might be more. But we hope the antidote will prevent it,' she added.

The hospital has already started giving Mrs Yip booster jabs to raise her white blood cells. The fear is that if the white blood cells - the body's defence mechanism - fall too low, it could open her up to life-threatening infections.

Dr Lim said another fear is sepsis, or blood poisoning, which could lead to multi-organ failure.

The hospital has reported the two cases to the Health Ministry, which has sent out an alert to other hospitals to prevent a repeat of such a potentially lethal error.

The ministry spokesman told The Sunday Times that hospitals are obliged to report serious mishaps and that this is the first report it has received involving chemotherapy overdose.

For the team of doctors who raced to save Mrs Yip, this will be a long week of worry and hope that the antidote will be enough to see her safely through.

This article was first published in The Straits Times.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Copyright ©2007 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. Co. Regn. No. 198402868E. All rights reserved.
    Privacy Statement Conditions of Access Advertise

And from the Department of Veteran Affairs!

Chemo Overdose Analysis

Safety is the product of a team, not the individual. Staff needs to be able to question across authority boundaries in order to "see" the work of others. Silo mentality restricts the ability to work cooperatively among disciplines. Recurring patterns in human error can be addressed through enhancing teamwork where missing expertise can be completed, hidden assumptions identified. Fixation on the plan of treatment can be set straight by a fresh perspective. Division of responsibility and authority can cloud understanding. Double binds put workers in a lose-lose situation, which occurs when people are responsible for outcomes but lack authority. Tunnel vision confines practitioners to accurate but possibly incomplete knowledge; improved communication through teamwork helps us see the big picture. Covert work practices can develop as ways to get work done outside written policies. Teamwork enhances safety when we rely on the expertise of other and learn from their experiences.

In the Betsy Lehman chemotherapy overdose the following flaws in teamwork led to her death:

• Information about the chemotherapy overdose of another patient in the trial (involving four patients) was not communicated.
    • Patient and family complaints about unusual and extreme side effects to treatment were ignored; they were not treated as member of the healthcare team.
    • Attending did not review the chart per Dana Farber culture.
    • Nurses did not have the responsibility to verify drug doses in protocol.
    • Summary sheet synopsis of treatment was confusing.
    • Fixation on plan of treatment led to ignoring evidence of error.
  • kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2010

SV - I didn't print this to scare you.  I would google "side effects of chemo overdose" to get a better idea.  While you may or maynot be on some clinical trial, sounds like someone or teams of people dropped the ball.

Love Doctors for Dummies.

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Has anyone ever seen a graph comparing P'Phil's prediction with what really happens? Is he reliable? Truth be told, we in Florida don't pay a  lot of attention to him. We are usually glad for a little longer winter cause when winter ends - summer starts 2 days later. Spring does not last long here :-(

Poor Ritajean... more rain in the Sunshine State.

pam 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2010

OMG, KATHLEEN, I SIMPLY CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR THE WONDERFUL ARTICLE AND THE RESEARCH THAT YOU DID FOR ME. NO, YOU DID NOT SCARE ME, IF ANYTHING, IT GAVE ME GREAT HEART THAT IF THIS IS HAPPENING (CHEMO OD'S) THAT IT IS A WOMEN'S HEALTH ISSUE THAT MUST BE IMMEDIATELY ADDRESSED. And you made me feel like I am NOT such an odd duck and that these things really do happen. Extremely fatigued today-doc office finally called and they called in orders to lab at hospital to run full blood panels on me post chemo. I could not get there today-all I can seem do do is to sleep right now. Making plans to do it tommorrow and a SW for the ACS is intervening after 'hearing all of this' (the lady who gave me the wigs) and getting my files for review by docs from Chapel Hill.She has been in touch with them today and arranging for choices for second opinion and options of getting a new onc. So, thank you so much, ((((REALLY BIG HUGS))) SV

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

SV - that's really good news about the SW intervention.  As you can see we were all so worried and can now breathe a little easier.  I still don't know why it takes so long for docs to get back to you - especially after what they know you have been experiencing.  Wish you could get your blood work ordered and run by a different place.

• Ezscriiibe
    edited February 2010

Well, Pam, Re: Punxsutawney Phil: I just sent a note to my daughter over facebook: "I just got a new electric pressure cooker. Point me towards the b@st@rd. . . . "

• Ezscriiibe
    edited February 2010

That's great news, SV. Sleep now, and get your rest.

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Ezcriiible,

Are you suggesting people eat groundhogs???? Southerners eat squirrel, raccoon, even (gopher) turtle. I do know you were joking but... still want to know. Are they edible? Florida is socked in under a blanket of clouds, just gloomy. The rain has stopped at least.

I am particularly achy today. Is it the damp, cold weather? I'll take hot and humid if it will make me feel better.

stay warm.

pam 

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

Good afternoon everyone - hope everyone is doing as well as they can given that the weather is so crappy. I hate the cold.

SV - Hope you are getting rest as you well deserve and need it. It does sound as though you are crafting a plan. Good stuff. I was pleased to read that you are considering Chapel Hill as your next course of action to remedy the fiasco that has plagued you. Chapel Hill......hmmm, now you're in my country, girl. Needless to say, if you need anything, you just let me know because I am literally right around the corner. BTW, I really enjoyed your POD definition. Heart-warming,  beautifully written and describes the ladies who belong to this POD. It also displays a wonderful talent you have in using words to share your thoughts and feelings. Love it!

Well ladies, have a good one.

With some good WARM hugs,

Chris

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited February 2010

Pam, our New Orleans weathermen are spending as much time on Miami as on our local weather.  Excitement is running high as Saints fans await the Superbowl. 

DH and I went to see the movie AVATAR with another couple.  I'm normally not a big sci-fi fan, but this movie is incredible.  I really enjoyed it.  Loved the make-believe planet Pandora, which has fabulous flora and fauna. 

Today was delightful here in south Louisiana.  Sunny with temps in the 60's.  Dh and I played/walked 9 holes of golf.  Then went to lunch and feasted on oyster poboys. 

Spar and SV and others undergoing treatment and/or in the healing phase, my thoughts are with you.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I promise.

Wishing everyone a peaceful evening.

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited February 2010

Ya'll are too funny. Yes, they eat gator meat. I had some alligator bites (tail meat) as an appetizer once on a visit to Daytona. they cooked and served it like chicken tenders, or grouper fingers, cut, coated and deep fried. It wasn't very impressive, really. I don't like wild meat either as a rule, But I've eaten BBQ squirrel & catfish and this guy that dh works out with at the Y, he likes to hunt and he processes the meat himself, he gave us pounds of venison this year, marked it as ground beef and chuck, when we brown it and cook it in something like chili, it doesn't taste so gamey.

~Connie

• Connie07
    edited February 2010

BTW...  I'm so glad to hear that the ACS is getting involved with SV's case.. THAT ROCKS! That's what I was hoping for with all that screaming and yelling. What does SW mean in relation to an intervention?

~C

• Darolyn
    Darolyn Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2010

This is Dar,I want to thank everyone for their prayers for my surgery.  My surgery went well and I have not had a lot of pain.  I thought when I saw the incision I would throw up, but I have a transverse incision and it isnt so bad.  Thank God I dont have to have chemo///  SV my thoughts and prayers are with you always.  I just have to take the 5 year pills.  I still have to worry about he other Bread bagels I wish I could give everyone on this board a present for all the thoughts and kindness.

• pj12
    edited February 2010

Hoping the gloom clears off for the big game! It's so disappointing when Florida weather makes a bad impression on national TV.

Yes, gator tastes like chicken. You only eat the meat from the tail. I have not heard of people in modern times eating gopher turtle. I guess if you are hungry enough....

Pam 

• melissa-5-19
    edited February 2010

This board has been busy today-

Carole my DH and I were married in New Orleans- the place was batts- we call it the OK Corral as anything you want to do is OK! We were there the year the police were on strike for Mardi Grais- naked women in the street and everything- and NO telling what they were eating! And what I would give for a real oyster po-boy! yummy.

Yes Dar this is a good POD- I am so glad your surgery went well, not much pain and no trhowing up at incision. Also- I am so pleased that there is NO CHEM for you!!!

SV- we are trying to pray you well. I am so so sorry that this has happened to you and so so glad that you are getting some help. I could see this lovely POD showing up for a proper ass kickin', or at least a sit in until you are properly cared for.

Pam isn't that the way?? you wait to get down there and the darn weatherr follows you! So sorry and hope it clears up.

Jo and Connie- I am leaving the pressure cooker to you two- I am so picky about my food, one time a man from Jordan asked my friend and I over for Thanksgiving and I had probably had too much to drink as when we got to the meat I just stopped and stared at it- it was so obvious that I thought it was dog or kitty or something as Al came up behind me and said in my ear "It is roast beeeef"- how embarassing! What did I know? LOL

Now that SV is getting a hope for proper medical care we can relax a little- to all getting treatment- may the Angels lift your spirts and make you strong- I know you can do it! My love to all- Jackie must be working late.

• melissa-5-19
    edited February 2010

obviously missed something over the computer less days - how did ACS get involved with SV;s care- and kudos to whom ever is responsible!

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited February 2010

One of my bridge friends invited me to a Super Bowl party.   We can play bridge, watch the game, eat, talk, eat and eat some more.   I have 2 things going this weekend as the baby shower is Saturday - OMG - I am becoming a social butterfly !!!!!!!    Good news is what I am seeing SV.   Hugs and Blessings as I watch the white stuff piling up again.   

They have coon skin hats and collars on coats.  Would a ground hog work???    Nancy 

• Connie07
    edited February 2010

Maybe the Groundhog's coat is too rough, not soft enough for human wear. I'm pretty sure we dont have those critters this far south. But on the river front at night, crazy huge warf rats.We had an odd experience bout 2 weeks ago. the kids were leaving a gate open and one night we saw eyes way out back. Got a flash light and went looking and under a hedge was a critter. Looked like a small dog but just as easily it could have been a fawn. I took some food and left the gate opened.. Next am it was gone and so was all the food I took to it,

Does anyone raise chickens, for the eggs? We are building our first coop, and hope to get some chicks come spring. Think we'd like to keep 6-8 hens and have never done it before. Ive read all the related books that my library has and would like to connect with a successful chicken keeper.

And to all a good night.    Love, Connie

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,328
    edited February 2010

Ah, yes....I have been doing way too much work, but in between I have been reading the posts to try and keep up.  Glad everyone seems cheerful for the moment.  SV has had a very rough few days. 

Praying we don't get any rain.  Tomorrow will be another lots of work day and then my two days at the office.  Oh will my fun ever stop. 

Love you all and see ya later.

Warm big hugs,  Jackie

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2010

Good morning girls!  I'm just worried about Still Verticle..(Melissa).....She left me a private message yesterday, & said she might go to emergency...We gotta hope she is alright..

Just thinking of you girl.....hope this means you are getting some good care, & that you are going to be feeling better!!!!!!!! 

And Dar.....so glad the surgery is over!!!!!  That is such a relief!  And no chemo for you either!!!!!  Thank God for that!   Do you have to do Radiation? 

I went to the new Oncologist yesterday, & really like her...Told her I was taking Tamoxifen, prescribed by the last Oncologist, but she wants me to start Femara....I've read a lot of posts, & man, I don't know if I want to try THAT one!  I have had NO side effects so far with Tamoxifen, & I've been taking it almost a month...She even gave me 3 months supply!...But I don't have to start it yet....because I have 2 months left with the Tamoxifen!  I'm going to ask the Radiologist when I see her in March....Supposedly the Femara is a better preventive than the Tamoxifen...  But the "hair loss, aching joints, & feeling like you have to pee all the time," is just something I could do without.....So just one more thing to figue out.....But the worst part is over!    Are any of you gals on Femara?  Did you take Tamoxifen?  The Femara costs a lot more, but my Insurance would only charge me $107 for 90 days....And we could afford that, but the Tamoxifen generic is at Walmart, with me paying just $6. 

Okay, SV.....Sending you healing vibes & prayers over to you on the Outer Banks!  Kick some ass!  (can I say that?)   Love you!  Jeannette