Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    edited February 2010

Dar, pleased you're back safe and sound. Look after yourself.

Connie, we have chickens, but much bigger than 6-8. I do wish that was all we had, because I really do not like hens, will not have anything at all to do with them if I can help it. I woudn't harm them, but just steer clear. DH has around 2,000. 2 great big huts 1,000 in each. They are all free range, we supply lots of health shops and farm outlets. I was at agricultural college many moons ago, and failed my poultry miserably....I just could not bring myself to kill a hen, which was part of the exam !!!  I don't think I would mind a dozen or so wandering around the place, just for our own eggs, but thats my limit. What sort are you planning on getting ? I like to see all the old breeds strutting around, but they don't lay nearly as many eggs as the commercial breeds we have.....so therefore don't pay on a big scale.

Melissa, good to have you back.

Melissa SV, how are you doing ?

Isabella.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2010

I have a question that relates to Jeanette's. Why are different AI's prescribed? Why does a doctor prescribe Femara over Arimidex or vice versa? Does Femara work better on ILC? Yet, seems like if you have trouble tolerating one AI they will switch you to another. Anyone know?

pam 

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited February 2010

Pam ... I'll start with you ... they switch medications because they CAN.  My prior cardiologist was always tweaking my meds (not that I am not glad he saved my life) but enough is enough!

Isabella ... that's funny about you and hens - I LOVE hens and roosters - I don't know why.

Jackie ... we missed your!

Jo - I don't know what a gopher turtle is either!  Someone enlighten us!

Melissa ... so glad to have you back .. we were getting lonely here.

Connie ... I worked for PETA for a while at their animal sanctuary.  We obviously were not doing it for money but this is what I know about chickens.  If you don't take their eggs away they will hatch and you will have more than 6-8 chickens!  A rooster needs about 8-10 hens to be happy.  Our roosters were in one pen and they will simply "rape" the smallest rooster.  Some of them can be quite formidable.  Others are just plain sweet - I guess like people.

Carole ... thanks for the movie review - I want to see it now!

Dar ... I had the same reaction you had when I saw my scars.  Fortunately a nurse was helping me to get to the bathroom which is when I saw them.  Good thing she was holding onto me - I would have fainted!

SV ... I am so glad it didn't scare you but I thought you would like to know that you are certainly not the first to undergo this reaction to a OD of chemo and certainly won't be the last.  I am so sorry you went through this and hope you get some help real soon.  Bless you heart.

To everyone else ... no gopher cooking!

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,328
    edited February 2010

Morning from my sunny part of the world --- better known as southern Illinois.  I have to enjoy today as rain seems to be coming and I'm sure it will be more than I want....since I don't want any at all. 

Kathleen....I enjoyed hearing about the roosters.  Growing up many had chic en coops for their own eggs but we kids did not venture into their area too much. Seems most everyone had a bad-tempered hen in the bunch. 

Were I to even think of doing chickens I would do Rhode Island Reds I think.  I generally only eat brown eggs. 

Still V -- did you go to Emergency....all that weak, tiredness I would think would have something to do with  your blood counts.  I sure hope there is someone soon to get this sorted out so you can start to REALLY heal.  It's time.

Probably going to have another long day today but if my sense of accomplishment is as good as yesterdays -- it will be well worth it. 

I found a quote I thought most of you would resonate too so I'm going to leave it here.  I will be checking back in when I can but hope as well that you all have a fantastic day and that you too have some sunshine to buoy your spirits with today.

Hugs, Jackie

The world is so empty if one thinks only of mountains, rivers, and cities; but to know someone here and there who thinks and feels with us, and though distant, is close to us in spirit, this makes the earth for us an inhabited garden.
    -- Goethe

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited February 2010

Chevyboy I have been on Femara for about 4 months now and don't have most of the side effects you mentioned. My hair has come back from chemo in that time - maybe it would have come back faster but it is here, the same colour and thickness as before and more curly. I do have some stiffness and find that if I get up off my (substantial) rear end and walk or do something physical each day it is much better. It certainly doesn't stop me from doing the things I would ordinarily do. My oncologist chose it as the most effective to prevent a recurrance and I trust his well educated judgement.  I'm also on Herceptin and might not be clear on what side effect comes with what drug. Generally, my energy level is decent and life is just fine right now.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2010

SV - hoping you will just be seen in Emergency and then sent home without incident.  Can't believe this is happening to you.

For all that 'funny' stuff you folks say you eat (BBQ squirrel - ewwwwwwwwww!), it looks like my next trip south I will have to bring my own food.  Sealed

DAR - hope you're resting well.

Later all.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2010

Oh MIGHTY PODS! I am trying to type through tears of gratitude! And I so struck, I am babbling so sorry for this long POST! AS ya'll know (Connie), an SW (Social Worker) with a branch of the ACS who works at Outer Banks Hospital in the Cancer Care Center (new), intervened for me to get ONC's from Chapel Hill involved in my case. So, DDad drove me to get all of my labs and blood work done today. So, I am sorry that this will be along read. Anyway, back to my God thing-An ONC from the Chapel Hill team called me at 5 pm my time) She said that Betsy (SW) had called and briefed them. I started to blubber and said that I felt so alone (left to my own by clinical team) in all of this. AND SHE SAID, 'I know it will take you a long time to trust us as a new ONC team, but I want you to know that from this day on, you will never feel like you are alone again" In fact, she went on, I want the notion of that completely wiped from your memory and your experience with BC. We are here for you 24/7 and she gave me her private phone number. She said, "call anytime, in the middle of the night, whenever, if you are depressed or just need to talk, I am here." OMG, I could not stop blubbering snotty thank-you's at that point! She went on to say, "I know you have "chemo brain" (first ONC to acknowledge that syndrome)...it is real and I do not want to wear you out right now. Then, " we are coming to see you and a few other patients we have on Feb 14 and I am having you meet with Dr. Baily Irvine (apparently one of the top docs in BC work). "you need to focus on getting well while we get all of your records and go over everything and design a treatment plan for your review.....but I will say this again, you will never be alone with this disease again. She said, "how dare an ONC team do that to someone-what was done to you was reprehensible." But, If you like us, you have us now." I could not stop crying I just feel so incredibly blessed and grateful. And prior to her call I had gotten calls from two women who I did not know who had gotten my number from friends. They too had terrible chemo effects and were told they were the only ones to react that way (like what is wrong with you). My gift to them I felt was in telling them that they are not alone and I too had a terrible reaction. One had the same ONC I had and she fired him. We talked about fears of dying of breast cancer-both women having panic attacks over it along with severe depression. I told them about the PODS because they are 'of our wise years." I told the UNC ONC about them and she said tell them about us and bring them on board too if they want help from us. The last thing the UNC ONC said to me was, " You have a beautiful life to live and a very long life ahead of you, I promise you that because I believe that!" WOW, it was like getting cool fresh water after running weeks in the Sahara!! And she is the first ONC to know about and understand "chemo brain." I am still bowled over by this group of ONC's. Good lord what a difference and WE ALL SHOULD HAVE THIS KIND OF CARE-PERIOD. I am so sorry to be so long winded but this was such a gift to me. AND, truly, I would not have gotten through this without the women on this thread!! You all have been my lifeline. I just cannot thank you all enough for prayers, tears, and all of it. Just wonderful, strong, beautiful women!

I want to address each of you but crikey, the Board has been busy.I printed off 13 pages to try and get caught up. And yes Pam, we old Tarheels, do eat groundhog--yum, especially their crunchy little feet (just kidding-about the feet part). When I was a kid, I used to sit there with my .22 and when one would stick its head out of the hole-kablam. Only shot to eat as we were just so poor and as mountain folk, that is what ya' did. I hunted wild boar with my Dad, only because they used the kids as bait to really piss the pigs off so they would charge. I would get "missy, go down to that grass tunnel and shake it up. If anything starts moving, you run and climb the nearest tree." Then all of the men would let loose when the boar came charging out of the tunnel. Now, I have hunted just about everything down south (and yes we lived on squirrel stew), But are we being punked? What the H*ll is a gopher turtle? I thought it was gopher and turtle-but no, gopher turtle. Is that like a snipe? And Jo and Pam, too funny, gator meat? That and Groundhog is only good tasting if you have had enuf moonshine! Chris and all, thank you for your prayers-it appears they worked!! Jo, I remember the old pressure cooker-remember when it looked like an A bomb-it had a dozen or so screws around the edge to clamp the gasket and top down good and keep the lid from blowing off. DD was too drunk one night and didn't do it right and the top of the pressure cooker took a vacation, sailing around the kitchen with all of us hiding under the table. Carol-GO SAINTS! Dar, YIPEE, no chemo and surgery went good?!!! Plz take good care of yourself-get rest, drink tons of water and eat small meals. And Melissa, so funny, the meal that was dog (roast beef)! Connie, you cannot be serioius about the chickens. Haven't you heard enuf stories from Isabella to hate chickens. How can anybody love a chicken?!!!! And the bloody roosters with their infernal crowing and sharpe spurs. A rooster used to chase me when I was tending horses and the barn guy finally squered it with a pitch fork because if flew up and went for my face. Being a kid, it look like a pteradactyle coming at me. Damn that thing was big and mean-in fact chickens are mean!! I'd think Isabella would be your chicken expert-doremember, you are likely not alone (Like do you have a DH) to get in the middle of things and totally ruin your "free range chicken experience?" Jeanette, sooo glad you got a new ONC-will write more later my dear! As to the drugs, personally I think it is whoever (drug reps) are pushing them the hardest (kickbacks too?!!!) and giving tons o' free samples to hand out like Halloween candy! Having worked in a hospital, I know that the drug du jour was the drug pushed by the reps!! isabella, you definately have been in the barn too long if you truly love chickens and roosters! Just teasing you-some people are very attached to their farm animals-tee hee. Carole, the movie review, I am soo not sure I want to look at blue 'people' thru 3-d glasses. Hey Kathleen, I am worried after reading your post-there are too many of you who know too much about chickens! Lassie, we need to have some way to celebrate the return of HAIR-good on ya'! Patoo,if you ever come to visit, I promise to blindfold you before I bring the plate out. Lordy, I have written a book! So sorry, but wanted to try to get to everyone-if I missed anyone (accidental), i love you too. Kiss ((((BIG HUGS))) SV

• patoo
    edited February 2010

SV, Oh what absolutely good news.  I was on my way to bed and stopped to take a look at just one more thread and here you are.  Brought tears to my eyes, I mean, really, I'm crying.

Have to disagree with you and your new Onc though.  How can you have chemo-brain and write all that, remembering everyone!

Anycase, I am sooooooo thrilled for you and will now go to bed happy.

Night PODS.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited February 2010

SV what wonderful news, they sound fantastic. I just checked in to see how you were all doing. I haven't commented too much because treatment conditions here are very different but mistakes get made here as well.So you look after yourself and rest up as much as you can. ((((SV))))

Leave the chickens alone SV, I have always wanted to keep hens, we did so when I was little and I love them especially bantams. When my father killed one for the table I evidently always wanted him to put it down so it would run!!!

There is a Rock concert (ACDC for hip members of the Pod) at an out door venue some distance away - I do wonder what the noise is like close by. DD lives close but isn't at home. The music is quite clear from here.

Its hot and muggy here tonight which means it will be difficult to sleep. So to the other PODs swim straight and make sure no-one gets starnded while some of us try to get some rest. Big Hugs

Alyson

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited February 2010

OH MY GOD MELISSA!!!!  I just thank God you are "here!"  I too, was soooooo worried!   How that ever came together, is beyond me!  And that is so true, no-one should EVER have to go through what you did!  It's kind of magical, how we "all" pull together, when one of us is hanging onto the hinges of a trap door, slamming them down each time it swings!  Damn Melissa....I even asked my Daughter in Orlando, to ask her friend the ER Doctor what you could do, to get help!  I still can't believe it all came together!  THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER! 

Okay, okay....Now you girls & your "game" ....... I guess I am sooooo much of a city girl, that I never even HEARD of such goings' on!  Ha!  I used to keep the hairy little yellow caterpillars in jars in our shed, to "save them forever"....they were my "pets"....I even kept a horney-toad...and a box turtle...and anything that crawled, it was my "friend!"    And we throw left-over treats over our fence, next to the ditch for the squirrels & foxes, but they will forever stay off my plate....Ha!   The wildest thing I ever ate was Venison, or Elk....And that was good!  I remember my Grandpa chasing me around the back yard with a chicken, of who's head he had just hacked off....I just cried, & screamed & RAN to get away from him....Him laughing the whole time....I DIDN'T think that was funny....  and I wouldn't ever eat one....not one of his....Wink

Did I tell you about the time, I found out about why our neighbors "wouldn't let those eggs just lay there until they hatched?"  I told old Estelle, "you should just leave those eggs alone, so they would hatch baby chicks"...and he told, me..."Because they WON'T hatch, because we don't have a Rooster!"....And I SAID...."Well Okay, but you have the eggs, just leave them long enough, because they will hatch!"    (I was married, just had a baby, but I NEVER heard the story about chickens & roosters.)....He said...Go talk to BEA!!!!!!!  (his wife of 60 years..)  He sure as hell wasn't going to explain THAT one!  So that is how I found out, that chickens do it too, Ha!  Who ever would have "thunk" it?  Not ME evidently!  

And that was about the same time I called the "Rescue" dept...(the Fire Dept.)  Because a little neighbor dog, was being dragged around the yard, just SCREAMING & yelping, because this BIG dog, jumped the fence & was DRAGGING her around the whole yard!!!!!  God, I was so scared... The gentleman that answered the phone & the Fire Dept..... was trying to re-assure me, that this was no emergency by any means, but that I should just "leave them alone"...& they would be alright!  I was so afraid "she" was going to get killed!  He must have had a hard time trying to keep from laughing & rolling on the floor during this conversation!  I told old Bea about it the next day, & she explained THAT one to me too.... So what was I saying?

And for now, I've decided I'm going to stay on Tamoxifen....I still have no side effects, and I've researched everything I can find on Femara vs. Tamoxifen, & the "end results" are about identical!  But I'm still going to talk to the Radiologist when I see here next month...I'll just call the Oncologist & whine, & tell her I would rather stay on the T pill for now, instead of trying something "new".....Okay girls....Soooooooooooo glad our "Pod" is back together again....Cool

• kmccraw423
    edited February 2010

Melissa ... congratulations sweetie - finally someone to help you.  I don't know about your other oncologist but they are piss poor at their jobs - in spades in your case.  My sister is a hospitalist who is not an oncologist but she has treated and cared for many cancer patients.  She has eased their pain and just sat with them.  She took their families under her wing.  She covered an oncologist for a week (Monday through Sunday).  She only  had one call from a patient who, after talking on the phone with the patient instructed the patient to the hospital.  The oncologist she covered for is one of the best, if not the best.  As far as my sister is concerned, he walks on water and you couldn't meet a nicer guy.  I don't think your situation is rare by any definition of the care you received (or lack thereof).  Thank the Lord you got help.

Chevyboy ... you certainly had a graphic introductions to the "birds and the bees."

Love and blessings to all.

Stock Photo - newborn chicken,  buff orpington  with clipping  path. fotosearch  - search stock  photos, pictures,  images, and photo  clipart

Are you talking to me?

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited February 2010

I am off to visit my brand new grand daughter who arrived this morning via emergency C section.   3 and a half pounds, breathing on her own.   DIL blood pressure was sky high, meds did not work, nor bed rest, so it was time for Olivia to show her face to the world.   More details to follow.

Hugs for all, Nancy 

• kmccraw423
    edited February 2010

Nancy ... congratulations!  We want pictures!!!

Stock Photo of an Infant Girl Sleeping

• patoo
    edited February 2010

Congrats Nancy!!!!  Welcome Olivia.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited February 2010

Congratulations, Nancy.  Hope Olivia has no problems related to her early arrival.  I have a 2 mo. old great-niece named Olivia.  Cute name.

We had chickens when I was a kid.  I remember my mother ordering baby chicks through the mail once.  They arrived in a big box.  Some of them developed a skin illness.  My mother, woefully lacking in vet training, applied mecurecome (sp?  red liquid for bo-bos!).  The other chickens pecked at these sick chickens with the red blotches.  Nature is wonderful but cruel.  I love "yard eggs" and will buy them from the farmer's market, but I don't have any strong desire to raise my own chickens.  They're very stupid animals and create a lot of poop.  I buy brown eggs most of the time but also like the taste of the Egg Land's Best eggs.  Thanks to stingy ole WW, I limit myself to one egg at a meal.

One other chicken memory.  My best friend Fay and I used to go into her family's henhouse and pick up the chickens to see them laying the eggs!  They would squawk in irritation.  For you non-farm people, the eggs aren't always clean in the nest.  After you gather them, they have to be wiped clean.  That info should stop Patoo from consuming eggs! 

We're having a dismal rainy day here in south Louisiana.  The rain gauge shows 2 in. so far and it's supposed to rain all day and into the night.  DH put on his boots and went out to fill the birdfeeders.  We have hundreds of welfare finches and some brilliant cardinals.

Guess I'll work on the online AARP safe driving course today.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited February 2010

Gopher Tortoise... although no one here calls them anything but turtles. Very common in sandy Florida soils as it is easy for them to make their burrows in sand. I see one when I walk commonly or at least their burrow. I can't imagine eating one but they probably  taste like chicken :-)

Gopher tortoises are so called because of their burrowing habits. They excavate and live in holes and tunnels that can be 40 feet long, and are wide enough to turn around in. Newly hatched tortoises immediately either find an adult burrow or dig one of their own. The tunnels tend to maintain a constant temperature and therefore protect the animals who live there through extremes of weather and fire. The tortoises are not the only inhabitants of their burrow, snakes, skunks, armadillos, burrowing owls, and scarab beetles are among the approx. 360 species of animal known to use the tortoise excavations. Ancient Indians used the Gopher tortoise as a form of currency.

Picture of a Gopher Tortoise 

Gopher Tortiose - Gopherus polyphemus 

• patoo
    edited February 2010

No Carolehalston, I love eggs and as long as I know my food is chock full of chemicals and has been dead or sitting around in a warehouse for 2-3 months, I'm okay!  LOL  But thanks for the visual.  I never would have thought the eggs came out anything but clean like they are in the carton.  Guess I won't be gathering eggs.

BTW all, my sister is in Burlington NC but since she's a northerner, city-bred, we usually eat out except if it's a holiday, Thanksgiving or Christmas.  But then we still don't cook them thar vittles.

• kmccraw423
    edited February 2010

I know one more thing about chickens - you better move that hand fast to get to the eggs ... those hens are mighty defensive about their eggs!

Jo - the chicken your mother made was from a hen that was stuffed full of antibiotics and so stressed with their living conditions they cut their beaks off to keep them from pecking the cicken in the battery cages they spend their whole lives in.that's commercial breeding.

• melissa-5-19
    melissa-5-19 Member Posts: 251
    edited February 2010

SV THAT IS GREAT NEWS! I AM SO GLAD THIS HAPPENED TO YOU- WHAT A HECK OF A WAY TO BE TREATED AS YOU WOULD TREAT SOMEONE ELSE- YOU KNOW THE OLD GOLDEN RULE! - YET I AM STILL NOT EATING GORUNDHOG-NOT YET ANYWAY!

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE

• Isabella4
    edited February 2010

As we are talking birds and bees here I will tell you a funny ( well I found it so) story.

It hit our papers about 2/3 years ago. Along a stretch of railway track, a few miles from here, were lots of allotments ( small pieces of land rented by 'townies' to grow their own vegs' or keep some chickens/goats /horses ) A train was travelling by these allotments and all the passengers were treated to a real spectacle. A man was mating a goat .....he had the poor goats back legs stuck in his wellington boots so it couldn't get away !!!!! There was hell to pay, the police were called and he ended up in court....I cannot remember what sentence he got, but the fact that it was splashed all over the press was enough shame for him I would imagine. 

I really love my cows, but don't think I would be interested in going round the corner with the bull !!!! If, indeed, we had one. We use an artificial insemination service !!!!

Melissa SV, so pleased you're starting to see a small chink of light in this awful happening....how are you ?? 

Had a reasonably quiet day here.... DHs Amytryptiline (sp) seem to be cooling him down a bit. I actually heard him singing this morning while he was feeding the cows. He isn't rising to my bait anymore when I tell him for about the 50th time that day DO NOT COME IN THE HOUSE IN YOUR WORK BOOTS. He actually said 'sorry' and gave me a crooked sort of smile when I bellowed at him, yet again, this afternoon. I have been shouting the odds at him for over 30 YEARS about this, usually 4/5 times a day, surely MUST be a record..... 30 years and I still cannot get him to understand it is NOT acceptable to walk over my floors in muddy footware.....and I get accused of nagging O M G. I could train a puppy not to walk over a floor in 2 weeks !!!

I dare not say too much to him about his lightening mood, otherwise, being the obtuse man he is, he will just stop taking them !!! He is still having a bad time with his siatica, but gets slowly thru the days work. Has to...we have no one else we can rely on. I help where I can, but am just no good at hard physical work anymore, my strength has gone. I do the 'soft' jobs now, looking at the cows, feeding calves, and all the driving jobs....anything that doesn't involve lifting or carrying. 

I wish DD or DS were just a little bit more helpful, but I won't ask them unless we really are in the S**T...my G/sons I WILL ask, but its getting them out of bed thats the problem here, once here they will work their sox off, and all for the price of a burger ! They know Grandma is always there with the cash when they're in trouble !! which is quite regularly !! Just helped one g/son with some cash towards car repairs, after yet ANOTHER  smashed car. Another G/son just got some pocket money for his skiing holiday. Lovely kids...well young men now. 21 and 18...love 'em to bits. But they're always in some sort of scrape or other !!!

I am off to bed now, hoping to get up in a more reasonable time than I did this morning. I slept in until near on 10am. When I got downstairs DH had got all the dogs up, and out into the garden for 10 mins....(but had forgotten 2 of them, they were sat outside in the fog waiting to come in !) fed the cats....(but with the wrong food, they'd got the expensive puppy food, instead of their own).... lit the logburner...(but NOT filled up the log baskets) But, best of all, had me a big mug of hot coffee ready when I came downstairs.....so I cannot complain.

Isabella.

• Darolyn
    Darolyn Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2010

Lordy, Lordy How I remember those chicken flopping around without  a head.  To this day I dont like chicken.  We also raised turkeys.  They are a dumb critter.  Does anyone know how to raise dogs?  We want o try raising maltese/poo(dont know if that is proper) a combination of maltese and poodle.  We are trying to get one for $250.00.  Is that about he right price?  These dogs are gone the first day they are advertised.  Hugs to all DAR

• Connie07
    Connie07 Member Posts: 446
    edited February 2010

Hey!  SV, I call what happened  Divine Intervention.. and just in time too, that's the great thing about people praying and sending good vibes and a bit of screaming online. THANK GOODNESS!!  I am quite relieved and feel really good about this team at UNC. YAY YAY YAY!!! They sound wonderful and I am so very glad for you! REST! You deserve it.

THANKS for all the advice on chickens. That's really funny how many people grew up around them. I didn't. City girl. We thought about the Rhode Isl Reds, but think they won't tolerate the summers here. It's hot and terribly humid. We don't have a big lot, and we don't want ANY roosters. We just want eggs that aren't full of pesticides and hormones. And I did NOT know that one cannot wash the eggs off - you must rub? I've read all the 'keeping chickens' books at my local library and we have visited a couple of surburban chicken coops.. small things on wheels that you (WHO?) can move  around your lot to spread the, um, fertilizer. I don't think they will be free range. We plan to cage their space to help prevent predators. We have hawks, eagles, huge owls, raccoons, nasty possums and occasionally a stray dog and snakes. sounds perfectly awful, yes? its not, except in the late summer.  DH is the one that wants the vitamin enhanced eggs. I'm not planning to make pets with chickens. I'm totally a cat person. Although, I've heard some are quite docile. Still, it does sound like a lot of work.  I have enough to do keeping the cat's boxes clean and got one kittie that keeps missing the box?? wth?

I FINALLY got a new Neuro-pain-management Doc.  After waiting 6 weeks for my first visit with him, it was GREAT! He validated my neck, back, leg pain and offered a treatment plan to include a 12 day course of Prednisone, PT for lumbar traction and a device for that to use at home, continue swim therapy and in about a week I go for a nerve function test, EMG to the Lumbar. will have to look that one up.

OK, I can't drink a beer if i'm on Prednisone? Who's rule is that?

~Connie

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2010

OMG PODS, you'all are such a hoot and laughs are sorely needed! Isabella, please tell these women about the "joys" of raising chickens, especially with a DH tagging along. Or worse,having to follow the DH! And get those kids to help you without extending the $$$$ hand first! Keep DH heavily medicated-sounds like it is working-tee hee. Connie, the lengths you are determined to go to to get free range chicken eggs.  And are you the one who got us on the chicken thingy? Remember, no matter how much you all like eggs, they still come from the ass-end of a critter. Jo, "Dirty Jobs" did do a piece on chickens. Like to keep little chicks healthy, ya have to squeeze them like a squeaky toy to get the crap out of them. So Mike Rowe was in a marathon "squeeze and poop" at a commercial chicken farm. Apparently chicks don't do a #2 well and require help! I have no idea how the hens 'decrap' their brood. And CB, your education antics about the birds and the bees are just too funny. I would love to have been the "fireman"on the other end of the line! Yup the dogs do get 'locked together.' Best remedy, like with any guy, spray him down with cold water from the garden hose! "It" (the little glashopa) shrivels right up and allows the female to escape, avoiding any further committment!! My GM whacked a bunch of chickens for the dinner table and my Mom and Patty B. were too drunk to hand pull the pin feathers out of them, so they "burma shaved" the carcasses and used my Dad's razor to "shave the birds." We had the wierdest tasting chicken dinner! Nancy, new grand-daughter-yipee and a fighter too. Welcome to the POD Olivia!!! PaToo, glad you had the courage to eat catfish. I cannot wait to get you down here for some real southern cooking! And Carole, what the heck are "welfare finches?" And where do they hide their monthly checks!  Shame on you Isabella, the guy with the goat (OMG)?!! Thanks for burning that image into my brain. I now know why "wellies" were invented and why England lost the war! Pix are darling and I never thought I'd see a real gopher turtle! Sweet Dreams All, SV

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,328
    edited February 2010

Stopping in to say hi.  I am worn to a frazzle and not so good weather is on the way.  May be freezing rain first -- turning to snow.  Oh, I am starting to dislike winter.  See you all tomorrow. I'm off for a date with the sand-man.

Hugs, Jackie

• DaylilyFan
    DaylilyFan Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2010

Connie, my mom was on prednisone for COPD forever, and her doc was just fine with her evening glass of booze.  Mom was a BC survivor, too.

Cats and litter boxes could fill a book (tho not one you'd read at lunch).  Our cat Selina walks in but doesn't turn around!  This is a very shy cat who has no idea we can see her tail sticking out.  So when she scratches the litter, some of it flies out on to the floor, which is not important in the great scheme of things but drives me nuts anyway.  Petsmart has a new contraption (no, not the moving parts kind) that's sort of U-shaped.  I am going to take DH to look at it; he will probably stare at it in amazement if he doesn't crack up laughing.

• reeltchr
    reeltchr Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

Hello Ladies - Sounds like everyone is doing well. Got a real education about chickens.When  I lived upstate NY we had chickens. One day a dog got into the pen and wreaked havoc and managed to scare the s*** out of one to the point that it dropped dead. I just remember my ex being inside the pen and jumping up and down like a lunatic when he discovered what happened. Those were the days.

SV - I knew CH Oncs would come through for you. I am thrilled that you will be taken care of and feel good again. You really deserve it.

Well, good night ladies! Chris

• kmccraw423
    edited February 2010

Jo ... thank you - I did mean NOT.  And I do know that lard makes it better.  Long before I became a vegetarian my family and I were down at the beach on vacation.  My sister fried the chicken in lard - to die for!

Enough about chickens.

Isabella ... unfortunately what you and DH need is a long term helper.  As you are already know, those aches and pains DO NOT get any better with age.  It amazes me what you and your husband still get done.

Daylily ... I am the same way about that darn litter trail!

Dar & Melissa ... how are you both doing?

Good morning everyone!

• Isabella4
    edited February 2010

Kathleen...what DH and I ought to do is to retire, but he will have non of it !!!!

He still thinks he is 21 and Superman, and he is 64 and Shreck !!! WHY don't men admit to advancing years, and give in gracefully ? He has worked extremely hard since he was 15, 7 days a week, just 1 x10 day holiday 25 years ago. I try and make him take time out, but if we leave jobs on the farm to take an afternoon out everything backs up, and we both end up outside catching up 'til late on a night, so sometimes its not woth having an afternoon away.

Isabella.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited February 2010

Isabella, for many men work is their life.  I know a man in his 70's who will not retire from his newspaper delivery business.  His wife begs him to retire so that she can, too.  She's had BC and colon cancer during the past 10 years.  They have enough money saved to live their same lifestyle, but he refuses.  He hurt his daughter's feelings when she heard him say to a bunch of men buddies that his work was his reason for living.

Dh always says that everybody needs a reason to get up in the morning.  For some people, that reason is their job or business.  Dh was sure he would have a lot of time on his hands when he retired and would need to get a part-time job.  Hasn't happened!  We're both as busy as we want to be with the chores of everyday life and with our interests.  Now we're able to travel to a cooler part of the country during the summers. 

Hugs and wishes for a good day.

Go Saints in the Superbowl!!!!!

• Ezscriiibe
    Ezscriiibe Member Posts: 139
    edited February 2010

SV, that sounds like great news and you completely deserve a team like that!

And yea, chickens ARE mean!!