Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2009

mzmiller99

Susan, so very glad all is well with your daughter. We have all beenpraying for her. It is so great to hear such good news.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited March 2009

Motherof7:  So sorry to hear about your cousin.  Hope he outlives the doctors!

Nicki:  Life is just not fair - so sorry about the news.  Prayers and hugs.  Stay strong.

Lisa - those flowers are magnificent!

I remember years ago that here in the DC area we had a week in February with  80 degree temperatures!  Toward the end of the week crocus and other early bloomers started to come up and I talked out loud to them and told them to get back down - winter was not over yet!

Another time someone new to our area asked when the Cherry Blossom Parade was because he had friends in New York that wanted to see the Cherry Blossoms.  I told him those were two separate events - either we have the parade and the blooms come out later or the blooms come out and sometime later we have the parade!  I told him to have them on "standby" for the blossoms - ready to leave at a moment's notice!  I cannot wait for spring!

• Motherof7
    edited March 2009

JO-5

Yes, the news is bad for my cousin, but like you said; God is able! Please keep them both in your prayers. Thank you for always being here for me.

• Motherof7
    edited March 2009

kmccraw423

Yes, the news is bad for my cousin; but God is able to heal him, if it is God's will, and if not, thank God he lives for Christ, so if he doesn't make it, which I hope and pray he will, but if not, he will be in a better place than we are.

I want to thank each and everyone of you ladies who prayed for him, and please continue praying, prayer does work.

• Motherof7
    edited March 2009

Chemosabisi

So sorry to hear about you being diagnosed with stage IV, guess we're never safe once we've been diagnosed. I will pray for you.

• susan_CNY
    susan_CNY Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2009

I finally got the call about my results from the nuclear stress test I had last friday, my heart is  functioning normally thank God,  wanted to share good news, this old age stuff stinks  lol

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2009

Susan, was that a muga scan? Congrats! I remember being very releived after chemo when I had a second Muga scan and it found my heart's pump-ability rate was just fine! phew!

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited March 2009

Oh Nicki............what can I say except that I am so sorry?  Hugs to you!  I, too, will add you to my prayer list. 

Hey Kathleen, I'm with you.  I can't wait for spring either!

Rita

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited March 2009

I said it before Nicki..you have us all in your corner..and we are fighters...older ladies have learned all the tricks ...

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited March 2009

Maire - My brain is nodding rapidly in agreement!  I can't remember squat these days!!

Nicki - I was going to reply to you on another forum, but was really glad to catch up to you here.  I understand about wasting years worrying...I just don't know how not to.  I worry about the smallest things anyway. 

I guess that'll be my job - not to waste however many years worrying about that which I can't control.  (I don't see it happening, but I'm going to try!)

Jackie and Nicki - I wuv your puddytats!!  I'll share a yucky...my little Maine Coon just jumped up on the pc with a big dingleberry stuck to her butt.  Eeeuwwww!  Geesh.  I think I'll shave her backside if she's not going to wipe more carefully.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Sorry everybody - that was tasteless.  It's been a sh*tty week, I guess and I'm wiped out. 

I'm speaking to a pet communicator tomorrow over the phone about my leased horse and my kitties.  She is so cool!  My daughter talked to her awhile ago about her furry animals (horses, dogs, cats), and just as an after thought, asked about her coy fish...Annette (the communicator) said that one of the fish told her he had one big eye.  What she didn't know was that the fish was blind in one eye!!  Now, that would be a hard answer to make up!!

Hope all y'all have a good weekend! 

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
    edited March 2009

Hi all.....late and I'm wiped out but Susan.....it's ok.  My little Pomerian Baby Boss has to be washed in back sometimes when he comes in.  It just happens now and then....very interesting about the animal communicator.  I do think we miss much when we don't know what our animals are really saying to us....I sort of wonder if they know how often we don't know.   I wouldn't know what to do without my brood.  They were such comfort when  I was going through chemo. 

Got to go grab my recliner....my brain just wants to shut off.  Talk to you all soon. 

Jackie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2009

Aren't recliners great?   Long ago my husb and son got me a recliner for my birthday and called it the Queen's chair, since I was the only female in the house.  IF you wanted to sit in it, you had to ask ME...    

• kmccraw423
    edited March 2009

SusanCNY - they had me do a stress test before I went in for the bilateral mastectomy.  Now that I think about it, what if it wasn't good (which it was) what would they have done.  Not do the mastectomies?  It is odd that I cleared it since 4 years ago I had two blocked arteries that caused my heart to stop.  I had to be jump started!  I guess the medicine I've been on for the last 4 years is working!

Motherof7 - I know the Good Lord can heal and hopefully it is not your cousin's time to go and he will be healed.

Animals are the best.  If I ever win the lottery I am going to set up a sanctuary with caretakers as I am too old to do all that bending and stooping cleaning out runs and stalls and pooper pick up.  I will locate it near a veterinary school and arrange internships so that I could get free vet care.  I will buy a lot of land so no neighbor complaints about noise.  Can you tell I have thought about this before?

Mzmiller99:  It wasn't gross.  If you have children or animals you can count on lots of accidents and continuous talk about bodily functions.  I once adopted a kitten that I had checked out that didn't have fleas, no ear mites, no discharge from nose or eyes.  Once I got her home I found, after many vet visits, that she had congenital diarrhea until she outgrew it.  I would have preferred the fleas!  Such is life.

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Oh Kathleen........I hear you loud and clear.  People would just call me nuts ( I'm not sure real animal lovers give a darn ) but I have many, many un-wanted/dumped cats as well as 4 dogs.  Will have to get a kennel license I'm told....not a problem....and daily I go out and feed feral cat colonies.  Those that could be caught and neutered/spayed were and then returned.  Now and then I bring one home because they are too tame ( more recently dumped ) and I feel they will do better in a more home-type setting.  Now and then I can find a home but if not.....this will be home till they cross the Rainbow Bridge.  Have done this since age of 11 much to my Mom's horror at the time....but she helped me anyway.  I do have limits....I'm definitely full up even though I took one more a few days ago.  I do take one now and then to foster for our local Humane Society.  This is why I still work two days a week......it allows me to feed, house, and get vet care for those with me. 

Nancy....if my recliner wasn't here I don't think I could stay.....think the nicest part is I can accidentally fall asleep and wake up not feeling too bad for the experience. At my age ( not really old ) 63.......I'm mentally at least 12 yrs. younger.....my flexibility is not as good as it once was...probably stoke didn't help that, so a recliner is almost a got to have for me. 

I'll be checking in after work.  Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Jackie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2009

Jackie, I was 63 in January, not exactly ready for the rocking chair, but the recliner is essential.  When I moved, I told them to be extra careful with it,  the rest I didn't care about.   If I fall asleep in in, so be it.  My bed is adjustable, which makes that almost like a second recliner if I want.   Mentally, I am not sure of my age - sometimes like a "terrible 2 year old" with temper tantrums, other times, like a smart mouthed, rebellious teen, and other times, my sweet good natured self... LOL !!!   

• ritajean
    edited March 2009

Hmmm...it seems that recliners are a hit everywhere for ladies our age!  I even slept in mine after my surgery.  The cat and I curl up in it every night....often with a good book!

Hope everyone has an interesting weekend planned.  There is a home show in town and I think I'll run out and check it out tomorrow.  Maybe I'll get a few ideas on how to "spice up this place."

Hugs to all of you!

Rita

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2009

Motherof7:  I am so sorry to hear about your cousin. He is in my heart and prayers.

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009

Just wanted to let everyone know.....I went to the Radiation/Arimidex Educational Forum last night....and they changed the date....to the night before without calling me. I called the coordinator and told her I was SO disappointed, I left work early, and it was a huge challenge to walk into the Wellness Center and be a pt again, she apologized over and over and is sending me a CD she will burn of the lecture along with the handouts and she is signing me up now for the May lecture series so one way or the other we will get all the information that's out there....I wont give up.

Recliners.....*big smile* we have a Lazy Boy that we got as a wedding present 38 years ago, that has been recovered bunches of times....and we have new ones upstairs now....kind of like Archie and Edith used to have side by side *L* only newer....when DH had his accident he slept in his for endless nights....sometimes I slept beside him, and during other times of illness and surgery and crisis our Lazy Boys have been our best buddies.....

We are going to a concert tomorrow night , the lead Guitarist for Jimmy Buffett comes from time to time in off season and does Benefit Concerts at local churches.....he brings amazing musicians with him and does a mildly religious feel good concert....it should be a really nice time.

Thinking of all of you always....hoping for sunny happy healthy days

Love

jan 

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Hi all,

Sounds like it has stayed fairly quiet here so I'm not going to chat and only say that I'm still saying prayers for healing if that is what is needed.....good outcomes on tests if they have been done and hoping that everyone has a nice peaceful week-end to enjoy.  I shall try for one too.  Talk to ya'll later.

Jackie

• kmccraw423
    edited March 2009

Jackie:  Animal lovers definitely DO NOT care what others think.  We tend to think people without animals are missing a very important part of living!.  Due to financial crap I am living with my sister.  She has two dogs and I bought two cats (one has since passed over) and she won't let me have any more; otherwise, there would be a lot more here.

I turned 62 in January.  I got to say that my 60th birthday was a huge shock.  Where did my life go?  I am slowly accepting it but not liking it.  My mind thinks I am about 20 years younger and like Lefty go through the same stages!

I don't have a recliner - there is no room in my sister's house for one.  I think if I had one I would never get out of it!

Have a great weekend - do something fun and God bless.

• FACECRAFTER
    FACECRAFTER Member Posts: 433
    edited March 2009

Had to share..had my last chemo tx roday!! Brought in a large chocolate cake, a grouping of a small chocolate ganache/cake and choc cupcakes, and a cookie tray for everyone at the office and the other chemo patients. They loved it, and they were all so glad to see me through..hugs all around.. 6 months of it and this chapter is over!!!  On to the next!! JUDY

• ritajean
    edited March 2009

Hey Hey Hey Judy!  No mo' chemo!  You did it!  Celebrate!!!!!!

Congrats...a chemo grad!

Rita

• Deb-from-Ohio
    Deb-from-Ohio Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2009

Congrats Judy!!!!!!! I have two more to go, then I can join you in celebrating!

Deb

• FACECRAFTER
    FACECRAFTER Member Posts: 433
    edited March 2009

You go Deb!

• donsuzbee
    donsuzbee Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2009

I cannot believe I finally found someone with a similar experience AND age to mine. I, too, am 68. Have been on Arimidex 7 years due to recurrance. But I have said enough is enough with the Armidex. I think every drop of estrogen has been sucked out of my body and the femaile body does need a drop or 2 now and then. I don't need PAP tests anymore, but had to see a OB/GYN last fall. A PAP test was done as routine and came back abnormal. I freaked out, but the doctor said it was because of the lack of estrogen. I also had to see a rheumatologist for another matter and he said he treats lots of patients who are on Femara/Arimidex due to musculoskelital issues. My legs ached so bad at time, I had wished they could just be cut off!!!!

Thanks for being here!!!!!

God bless!

Susan B.

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Welcome, Susan!  That name must have been the "Jennifer" of the 40s!!  I had 3 in my class in school!!

Jan - Thanks for staying with it!

Jo- I would get random pains in both my boobs, good one and sick one.  More in the boobette, but haven't noticed any since I switched to Aromasin..?

Deb - A wild and crazy happy dance for you!!

• illinoislady
    edited March 2009

Good morning everyoneSmile. I am so happy for you today Judy.  Young, old or in-between, 6 months is a looog time period when they are filled with chemo.  My chemo went down hard several times and I got through it by telling my self...things will be better in five minutes--so that is the only time I had to worry about.  Usually it wan't really better....but that is the way I got through........so thrilled you are done and it's your turn next Debbie. 

Ah, Kathleen---if only you lived close to me.  You could come over and enjoy my menagerie.  Part of their care is just petting and loving them which keeps them a bit more comfy in their confinement.  I have a huge screen room on the front of my house ( probably one of the reasons we bought it ) and lots of the cats are out there......Baby Boss is allowed in to play with them.  If I ever found a home for any with a dog.....it could work out.  And of course....you need to not let their feral instincts take over.....so they all have to get some daily attention.  This went begging severely when I was doing my chemo.   I did somehow ( it is definitely blurry thoughts ) manage to get out every day and go feed at the four feral feeding areas around town.  I started out with such dread and would come back feeling much better...don't know if it was happy to be done satisfaction or the satisfaction of knowing all the cats were getting what they needed in spite of my condition.  But we ALL got through.

donsuzbee --- welcome to the just the right age thread.  Interesting about your Pap test.  Something we all should keep in mind I dare say.  My Dr. will keep me on the Arimidex for five years but there is hope that something better will come along in that time and so some of the problems...bone loss, pain etc. will be handled. 

Hope you all have a fantastic day and a great week-end.

Jackie

• samedaynurseJan
    samedaynurseJan Member Posts: 162
    edited March 2009

If I dont change the clock in my car soon I am going to really screw something up *L* I was just about to say good morning cause I just came back from the bank....

JO....I have my fingers tightly crossed with my Arimidex.....I am into my 3rd month now and I have no ill effects cept for a few hot flashes now and again, I remember them well ...ugh ! I know a LOT of people will disagree with this, but I asked my Onc. at my visit on Tuesday and he said I would be having side effects by now to some degree and that there are a LOT of women who experience very few side effects with their Arimidex.....anyways.....my breasts are ok. He did tell me that my first mammogram is going to hurt cause of the inflammation and scar tissue I am fussing with.....

Susan.....I can be very persistent when there is stuff I want to know....I am otherwise pretty quiet and laid back but there is information out there that we need, so I will get it sooner or later.

So happy for everyone who is ending or getting ready to say good bye to their chemo journey....

We have sunshine and its almost warm out, happy Saturday everyone

Love to all

Jan

• mzmiller99
    edited March 2009

Jan - What part of the country are you from?  Our weather is very similar...it's up in the 40s!!!