Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• Lizzy90
    Lizzy90 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2009

Hi Ladies,

I would like to thank each and every one of you who took the time and saw my desperate postings and posted a reply to try to easy my anxiety.

Thank you so much for your prayers,kind words and calming personal messages it really meant and continue to mean so much and a great deal in the time of need.

So getting to my results:

NO lymph node involvements..all NEGATIVE all 3 of them.

MO meaning didn't spread

Stage Ia - meaning T1a tumor is under 1cm (it is actually 3mm)

MARGIN: I got 2mm clear margin on DCIS and 6mm clear margin on the IDC.

THANK GOD for these results. I was floored when she told me the results in this case it was a good news but-i was so scared and prepared for the worst that my mind was totally numb.

I was told that radiotherapy and arimidex to follow and my appointment with a medical oncologist was scheduled.

My daughter asked about the oncotype dx test and surgeon said the 3mm invasive might be too small to be tested but she will try to send it away.

My daughter stepped out to the hallway came back in few minutes and advised the nurse that she just called Genomics in CA on her cellphone and was told the minimum size of tumor/tissue they will be able to test is 2mm so I guess my 3mm might qualify so I signed a form and it was ordered.

I am on Medicare and was told they cover it most likely.

Did any of you had this test while on Medicare???

Again I would like to thank each and every one of you for the prayers and the warm,kind thoughts and calming efforts that you so wisely provide to each other it is truly remarkable and - I feel privileged to belong to such a comforting and special group.

Than you again! GOD BLESS!

Hugs to all,

Lizzy

• Lizzy90
    Lizzy90 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2009

Hi Ladies,

I would like to thank each and every one of you who took the time and saw my desperate postings and posted a reply to try to easy my anxiety.

Thank you so much for your prayers,kind words and calming personal messages it really meant and continue to mean so much and a great deal in the time of need.

So getting to my results:

NO lymph node involvements..all NEGATIVE all 3 of them.

MO meaning didn't spread

Stage Ia - meaning T1a tumor is under 1cm (it is actually 3mm)

MARGIN: I got 2mm clear margin on DCIS and 6mm clear margin on the IDC.

THANK GOD for these results. I was floored when she told me the results in this case it was a good news but-i was so scared and prepared for the worst that my mind was totally numb.

I was told that radiotherapy and arimidex to follow and my appointment with a medical oncologist was scheduled.

My daughter asked about the oncotype dx test and surgeon said the 3mm invasive might be too small to be tested but she will try to send it away.

My daughter stepped out to the hallway came back in few minutes and advised the nurse that she just called Genomics in CA on her cellphone and was told the minimum size of tumor/tissue they will be able to test is 2mm so I guess my 3mm might qualify so I signed a form and it was ordered.

I am on Medicare and was told they cover it most likely.

Did any of you had this test while on Medicare???

Again I would like to thank each and every one of you for the prayers and the warm,kind thoughts and calming efforts that you so wisely provide to each other it is truly remarkable and - I feel privileged to belong to such a comforting and special group.

Than you again! GOD BLESS!

Hugs to all,

Lizzy

• beergirl
    beergirl Member Posts: 83
    edited June 2009

Hi All, I am just jumping in here because I thought some of you on this thread might offer some ideas/experiences or something. I have been taking femara for a little over a year. I finished chemo (4 tx TC) last July and have been getting infusions first of Aredia and the last 6 months, Zometa. I got the results of my bone density test this week...bad. I already knew  I had osteoporosis before I was diagnosed with cancer, but it wasn't this bad. I know that femara has really messed up my bones, but the thyroid meds I take have also. What else can I do to avoid winding up just a puddle of flesh with no bones?

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited June 2009

Hi Ladies,

Lizzy, Congratulations.  It's all up hill from here on.  :-)   I said a little prayer that God would do what he thought was best for you and obviously he thinks your a needed commodity on this mortal coil. ;-)

Pools,---  I have this lesion which is almost completely closed up now, so the next time I go in to see my onco I am going to ask if I can swim in my friends pool.  I don't know about our trip to the OBX, there is a pool for just the house we will be staying in but there are going to be 17 people PLUS a baby in diapers so I think I am just going to avoid it, THEN I have the choice of the ocean which I personally think is probably worse then the pool.  LOL.  I think I will just wander into the sun once in a while and sit out on the balcony and watch the others enjoy the pool since our balcony overlooks the pool.  

Nelia, a prayer has gone up for you also.  

Jackie, sweating has become a way of life for me, I don't hide the fact that I have cancer and I don't hide the fact that I am on meds that give me hot flashes.  So others -- just have to live with my fanning myself all the time.  I grab anything that looks like a fan and waft away.  

I am finally going to buy at least two hibiscus this afternoon.  Double peach hopefully.  Evey time I wanted to buy one "something else" came up.  Now it's saving money for this trip up to the OBX that has me going.  Not only the trip but a car that is old and my fingers that are solidly crossed for it to make the trip up and back.  Someone suggested renting a car, someone else suggested just getting a new one by leasing.  Robert said he will look into the ideas.  

I start this months rounds of blood draw and Zometa infusion on Tuesday.  Boy that Zometa slows me down for little over a week.  It just sort of turns my brain OFF.  I don't even read my romance novels. I could just sit and stare at a wall for about a week and it wouldn't bother me in the least.  LOL  My professors don't like it a whole lot when I have a paper due though.

OK, have to go study so I don't mess up this weeks assignments.

Have a great day ladies.

Hugs, Pam.  

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2009

Beer Girl--the boards seem to be a little slow this weekend.  I'm still in chemo and don't have any experience with Fenera.  Hang on a few days--some of the other Chooks may be able to help you.

Pam  My DIL puts the baby in Lil' Swimmers (I think that's the name) when she takes him to the pool.  They're special diapers that keep the pee out of the __ool.

Yea Lizzy!  Glad the results were good.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.  Helen

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited June 2009

Hope everyone had a good weekend,

Gramof3, How are you doing, Hugs

Patto, God bless you this week.

Pam, I have those hot flashes too!

Rita, Hope your enjoying your hugs. 

Lizzy, I am so happy, I have been praying for you

Nelia, Good luck, I know you have alot of people praying for you.

Jo, Hope you are doing well.

To all the other wonderful people, Hope the best for you.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263
    edited June 2009

Hi everyone....Beergirl, I don't know anything about Femara as I take Arimidex.  I think it sounds like your Oncologist as well as maybe your PCP need to address the issue of bone problems and calcium loss with you.  It seems unlikely that you could go w/o the thyroid support.....so to me the only other answer would be perhaps other drugs.....or some sort of combination with amts. that at least slow bone loss/deterioration to a "slightly more normal" level. 

Lizzy....wonderful news for you.  I'm sure you breathed a rather major sigh of relief.  Sounds like things were caught pretty early for you which will be of benefit in your after txs.  Can't second guess any Oncologist....but the smaller your tumor/operative site, the lower your numbers, the higher the probability that you won't need chemo.....just some radiation more than likely.  You are indeed fortunate and we are thrilled to share your good fortune.  Went back and read your post....I see Armidex in your future.  All of this should be a piece of cake.  Again....wonderful news and happy for you.

Heat wave broke last night some time.  What a glorious day it has been.  Feels almost chilly tonight and that is strange.  I'm glad because I can get back to some work that I left hanging.  Also, the bird who made a nest next to our big commercial outdoor furnace has hatched the babies and the nest is empty so that is no longer a concern either.  Must have taught the wee ones to fly during the last few days of heat as last time I looked....nest was full of tiny bodies. 

Hope you all had a wonderful week-end. 

Hugs, Jackie

p.s.Hang in there Nelia.  Lots of thoughts and prayers.

• beergirl
    edited June 2009

Thanks Gramof3 and IllinoisLady, I am seeing my onc this week and just guessing, but I think she will switch me from femara to arimidex. I just discovered tonight that I have not been taking near enough calcium. The bottle said 650 mg. I had not read the fine print which said one serving = 2 pills.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2009

Beergirl....glad you found out about your calcium pills.  I'm assuming you also take Vitamin D.  I take those along with calcium ---  in the morning and evening.  You need the D's as it aids the calcium and vice versa I think.  There is also an easy test  to check your level of Vit.D as it seems from many that I have talked to on another cancer blog that we don't get enough but generally never find this out.  As you have been prone to bone loss/osteo problems....this may be a routine part of the tests you get, but it would not hurt at all to find out if your Vit.D levels are checked when you have your blood tests. 

Everyone....big hi to you on this beautiful much cooler morning in southern Illinois.  The woods are breathing a big sigh of relief. 

Jackie

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited June 2009

Wow Jo..so sorry to hear that..

Cellulitis is a serious problem..I had it once also..and it needs to be treated right away..I am 

glad you got where you needed to go to get the IV antibiotics....no messing with this...

take care of yourself

• socallisa
    edited June 2009
  • socallisa
    edited June 2009

After a light rain..

• Gramof3
    edited June 2009

Hey, JO  Hugs    Hope you are feeling better by now--rest as much as you can.

I had my #7 Taxol today and saw my onc for the first time in 3 weeks.  He's been moving his family from St. Louis to Springfield, looking at houses,etc. plus he's young, new to the practice and I think they've overbooked him.   I really like him, he has such a positive attitude and explains things in terms I can understand, BUT the whole time he's talking to me, he stands at a little counter/'desk, reading my reports, and doesn't make much eye contact.  Today I had a list of questions that I wanted to discuss,, but he was doing the usual standing thing...I actually asked him to sit down and talk to me!  It did surprise him (and me too), but he sat down.  I just explained to him that my anxiety level has shot up and I needed to TALK "to" him, not "at" him.  He apologized (!) .

My new port worked!  But, When the nurse was taking the needle out, she hit a pocket of "old" blood and what a mess.  I'm sore tonight, but think I will take 1/2 a pain pill and go to bed.

DEBBIE  I goofed.  When I mailed the packet, I didn't include your ZIP code.  It came back today!  I will remail tomorrow...I apologize..my bad.  I just read the definition of Chemo Brain:  the "inefficient retrieval of memory."   Boy, does that describe me!!   But, I had it berfore I was diagnosed.

Pam  I was interested in your comments about Zometa.  I'm planning on registering for the Zometa study--looks like Cheno Brain may last longer than I thought???? Yell

(((Thoughts and Prayers)))) for all waiting for tests, results, and working thru the everyday dilemmas that go with this fight (that must be ALL of us!!).  You are wonderful support.  Thanks for being there.  Take care.  Helen

PS,  JO I put in a neat little graphic of a tiny bear--don't know why it disappeared.  I'm just learning how to do the animated stuff--hb

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited September 2009

ritajean~thank you for the extra energy, I found this site very supportive and informative.  Last October 27 bco chatters met in vegas, we all had a wonderful time, I felt I knew them all my life, one big happy family.  Got to celebrate my 57th birthday with all of them.

My mom was 58 when she was dx, I was 55, she lost her battle at age 64, too young.

Crying 1

• deborye
    edited June 2009

Lol I think I just repeated myself.

• beergirl
    edited June 2009

IllinoisLady, My Vitamin D level was really low. I take 50,000 mg once a week plus a multivitamin every day.I will see my onc this week and maybe she has some more rabbits in that hat. Right now I am pretty low, which is ridiculous, because so many others have much worse problems. 

• Gramof3
    edited June 2009

BeerGirl  As JO told me a few weeks ago..."Don't you ever apologize" for feeling down.  It goes with the territory and that's the beauty of this group of amazing women.  Sometimes we're up, sometimes we're down...and we work together to hold each other up.  I'm propping you up right now!!  (and sometime, I'll need you to pull me up, too).  I think your onc will have some suggestions.

Deborye  I repeat myself all the time.  LOL

Rita  Hope you are having a great time with the grands!

O.K. Chooks, I'm really going to bed now.  Could it be the steroids today has me wired?? hb  

• beergirl
    edited June 2009

Gramof3and Jo-5, Thank you! You are both right. I know part of this comes from the chemo and femara effects on my fried brain.

• amE2
    edited June 2009

Youneedabeergirl.

Hi, I take Calcitriol for D absorbtion.  I had my thyroid gland removed in 1994 and they also -- by accident -- removed my parathyroids.  Parathyroids regulate the absorbtion of Calcium and Phosphoros, they couldn't get my body to absorb the Calcium so they put me on Calcitriol forVit. D absorbtion.  I also am "suppose" to sit in the sun for at least 15 mins a day.  Sun is the biggest source of Vit.D absobtion.  Not that you should tell your doc what to do but --- a suggestion to her may help.  It was an endocronologist that finally had to treat me for the D absorbtion.  It has helped.  Now when I get my Zometa treatments all the Calcium goes straight to my bones.  With the thyroid gland it was washing right out of me.  Either way I can go into hypocalcimia.  Low calcium in my blood.  I recognize it right away as I start to tingle at my fingers and it works it's way to my chest, if it gets to my chest I can go into teteny.  Just like tetanitus.  So I down several TUMS (also the endo's prescription) and a glass of milk.  My Onco was pleased I knew what to do.  

Anyway, either try an endocronologist or ask about the Calcitriol. AGAIN I am not a doctor I am only relating my  experiences.  BUT I hope it helps, it's hard when you feel down.  The Zometa infusion does that to me for about a week and a half.  I checked on another BC survivors list online and they said that getting the blahs and flu symptoms are normal the first week after the infusion. Thank heavens as I thought I was loosing it.  LOL

Have a good day.

Hugs, Pam W

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited June 2009

Gramof3

Oh No! I was all excited about getting a port, and now I read yours is not healing good. That's really not good news, I will pray for a complete healing for you.

I am scheduled for my port to be put in on the 30th of July. I was told I could not work that day, and I had to be very careful for two weeks after it was put in. I have one more Herceptin treatment before I get the port, sure not looking forward to that since they stuck me 6 times before they got the IV started last time.Frown

I have 17 grandchildren, 2 stepgranddaughters which I claim as my grandchildren, and one I lost when he was 5. Most of my grandchildren are getting so independent, the youngest one is 10, and she thinks she is grown. I do have two great grandchildren on the way, and already have 7 great grandchildren, and out of them I have only got to see one of them. Maybe I can spoil the two that are on the wayLaughing.

I hope and pray your port heals soon.

• Gramof3
    edited July 2009

JO  You are so right about some people and needles!  A good phlebotomist is a Jewel!

Motherof7--My port experience was a fluke--a stuture that should have held it in place broke and allowed it to move around--thus the need for a new port.  With the new port, I really couldn't see under the bandages to see how it was healing--just felt it might not be healing quickly enough.  My younger granddaughter was really bothered by a bloody stere-strip (she called it my "bloody scratch") so I let her cover the strips with band aids. When I tried to remove them, they pulled at the strips, which weren't ready to come off--so I went to the surgeon's office with band aids in place.  He cracked up--said I was the only patient he'd seen recently come in wearing Pinochhio band aids! 

Lisa, Thanks for posting the roses...love the one with the raindrops. 

Well, Chooks, I already have my PJs on and as soon as I read my paper, am heading for bed.

sleep clipart graphics   Take care.  Helen

• beergirl
    edited July 2009

PamW1, Thanks for the info. Is the calcium you take a prescription drug or OTC? I think I still have my parathyroids. I remember hearing the surgeon talk about the importance of keeping them. That was more than 50 years ago. I really like my onc, and only one thing she has told me has really worried me...she said I did not need an endocrinologist. I had to change my PCP in January because of Medicare and my Endo worked at the same clinic, so I have not seen an endocrinologist since just before surgery in March '08. I think I need to talk with one.

• amE2
    edited July 2009

Hi needabeergirl,

I take an OTC calcium.  I use to take soft tab calcium as it was easier for me to absorb, now my endo has me taking just TUMS 750 (tropical cause I like it best ;-) three tabs a day, at the very least two tabs a day.  BUT I get an infusion of Zometa now once a month for my bones.  I am not sure what Zometa consists of -- if it is just for absorbtion or for calcium also.  They put a lot of calcium in me and I still have probs with absorbtion.

I just mentioned the parathyroids to explain why I have probs with calcium absortion.  

This is not advice --- its' just how I see it.  It sounds like you will have to make the descion to go to an Endo on your own.  My husband has Type II Diabetes. His family doc tried over and over to get it regualted, it just wouldn't --- he finally gave up and sent him to an Endo, the same one I had in the hospital.  She had his diabetes regulated within a week.  That is just FYI.  It's up to you I guess to make that choice.  Your onco may be trying to save you money.  Do you have to have a referral from you onco or can you get one from you family doc?

Well, I am praying it all works out for you.

Hugs, PamW   

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Hi everyone.  It's a lovely morning here.  Reading what you wrote Pam about getting in the sun.  I have a friend who is VERY health conscious and she sits in the sun every morning for 15 mins or more.  It can't burn you then.....and even on a really warm day is not over-bearing.  She feels ( probably quite right ) that it is basically nature's perfect medication for getting your calcium.  She is also a food label reader ( was a nutritionist for a live in medical facility ) and also says that if you buy anything in a can.....the more zero's you see when it lists ingredient percentages usually the better.  Also, foods which have high fiber content --- like the Fiber-One Pancake mix.  She has me using that and it's good. 

Anyway, it is a big job these days to bring home healthy food.  I always read labels too and use a fair amt. of frozen food.  I'm not a fanatic about it......but I do WANT to shy away from boxes that list one or two recognizable items and the rest are fillers, preservatives, coloring, stabilizers.additives,flavor enhancers etc.  I think I spent some time in my life ( probably fits lots of people ) eating chemically designed foods and now and then one or two items ends up here, but I try to make it be sparse. 

Beergirl, hopefully you will be able to get the right help for you. 

See you all later.

Jackie

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2009

Hey Gals,

I had a great time with my little grandsons this weekend and the baby's baptism went well.  It just wasn't quite long enough for me!  I could easily have stayed a few days longer to spoil them but Dave had to get back to work and I had all my tests yesterday.

What a nightmare the digital mammo was!  After they came back for the third "go-round" on the films, I just lost it because the technician said that the doctor wanted better pictures of the incision area and I was just sure that he saw something that caused him to want a better look.  At that point, the little tec decided maybe she should be doing some talking to get me calmed down.  It appears that one of the clips near the incision area was not showing up on any of the films and that was what the doctor was looking for.  Finally, he got a film that showed half of the clip.  This process of taking the pictures, sitting and waiting, taking more pictures, etc. took nearly 2 1/2 hours.  She tugged and pulled me so hard to get my chest wall closer to the machine that I am bruised today and a bit sore.  Unfortunately my tumor was in the cleavage area.  I was so glad to get out of there....and with good news.  There was no evidence of anything suspicious on any of the 24 films.  I'm not looking forward to the next one in three months.

Mother of 7, I bet you will do just fine with the port.  It will be so much easier than the "sticks" each time!

Hugs to all of you.  I had a golf outing this morning and now I'm tired and ready to collapse.

Rita

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2009

GRAMOF3

Thanks for letting me know about your trouble with your port, it makes me feel better.

RitaJean

I'm so sorry you had to go through all the trouble with checking you out. I have to have a mamogram Sept 3, and I am not looking forward to all the pulling and tugging. I really hope the port will be better, I will have it put in on the 30th of July.

JO-5

How are you getting along? I really miss talking to you, and the rest of the ladies on here, and you are always giving uplifting advice to everyone. I am still praying for all of you.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2009

Thanks Jo for the warm wet compress suggestion.  I gave it a try and it is helping.  This is unreal as my breast is bruised more than when I had my smerf "boob" from the sentinel node tests.  Now that you mentioned it, I remember your nightmare mammo experience.  GOSH!

• beergirl
    edited July 2009

Hi all! I do not need a referral to go to an endocrinologist, so I will start searching for one in this area. I think I need to see one too. Thanks for the advice. Hugs to all of youl

• deborye
    edited July 2009

It's funny you saying smurf boob, my bs called it that.  There is still a hint of blue and it was 2 yrs in March.

Light Blue

• socallisa
    edited July 2009

rita..so sorry you had to go through all that...what an ordeal...yikes

Jo, hope you are doing better..don't let down your guard with the cellulitis..is is sneaky

We went up to San Juan Capistrano this afternoon and evening to see a college classmate

of my DH who was visiting the area from the East Coast..

We had a very nice dinner and really enjoyed the companionship..