Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263
    edited July 2009

I too began hair growth as white and fuzzy --- later extremely soft and quite touchable as some old time commercial for shampoo ( ? which one ? ) used to say.  Seemed like it was going to be too thin at first, but slowly filled in nicely.  Interesting to me....the hair comes out pretty much white or so it seems and then the pigment sneaks back in just as you are trying to figure what you will do about this dilemma.  I was told how different your hair could be upon coming back and was so hoping for mahogany red, thick and curly.  What I actually got was my former hair back pretty much.  Mousy brown thin and fine...and of course as straight as a ruler.  The only true difference is that it was a darker shade of mousy brown.  I still as well have a very slight few gray/white hairs.....seems actually to be a little less than pre-chemo. 

Most of these were on the crown area of my head so were not ever really bothersome before and not so now either.  I am going to be 64 on my birthday in September and finished my last chemo on April 30th.  2008...so just a bit over a year ago.  My Mom started to go gray late 40's but my Dad was very late ( 83 ) when he passed and not totally gray even then so I am thinking ( at least seems that way now ) that it may be a slow process for me. 

I have had my hair cut several times now and did finally go and get a permanent ( sorted hated too ) but thin, fine hair has little body so is hard to style.  My hair was brand new and quite healthy....hated to fill it full of chemicals again but I'm not a good stylist.....so needed the help a perm would provide. 

Helen....I struggled as well getting things open....still do now and then.  Even little packets that you tear open ( crackers etc. ) defeated me to the point of embarrassment now and then.  Now I just honor the blessing of being well and pay little mind ---  there is always a remedy somewhere. 

Hope you all have a blessed day. 

Hugs, Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

Gramof3, I'm wondering why you were treated with chemo.  I see you were only Stage 1 and had no node involvement.  I'm a 66yr old BC newbie, bilateral with one-step reconstruction scheduled for 7/25.  I've been reading a lot of these forums on breastcancer.org and treatment seems to be all over the map.  I look at the pathology info at the bottom of the posts and can't figure out a pattern.   Does every woman with BC get either chemo, radiation or hormone treatment?  Or some combination of those three.  Very confusing.  I guess a lot depends on the oncologist.

I thought women with lumpectomies got radiation.  Women with large tumors and node involvement got chem.  But I see it's not that cut and dried.

My cancer surgeon stated that I probably wouldn't have to take chemo if my nodes were clear.  The cancer is small, 6 to 8mm, according to the MRI.  ER positive/PRpositive/HER negative, according to the pathology report from the needle biopsy. 

I'm thinking I'll consult more than one oncologist once the pathology blanks are all filled in, including oncotype dx.  The treatment for breast cancer seems very destructive to a woman's health as she battles to survive the cancer.

I know I'm probably thinking too far ahead and perhaps should take this process step by step.  But looking ahead and trying to be prepared is my nature.

One bit of advice in the material I've read is "Don't major in cancer."   

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2009

Gilly - No man's land is the absolute pits - we are here for you and will continue to be.  God bless.

Linda

Oops - sorry I posted this too late, I guess - I was on page 58, reading about Gilly and her wait for scan results.  Hope all went fine.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2009

Thanks Linda. Bone scan yesterday, port in tomorrow, MUGA on Friday. I won't get results till next week when we see the oncologist again.

I don't write on this thread  very often (yet!) but I read everything you write and am with you all on each step of this journey. It is wonderful to see some of us seeing the end of chemo as some of us have yet to begin - and such cheerful voices too! I love the growing hair stories!

Gramof3 - I have really appreciated your input on our July chemo thread. You have helped us become a group.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited July 2009

Keep us posted, Gilly - sending you hugs.

Linda

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2009

Chooks--I have appreciated (and enjoyed) your comments on the hair.  I'm probably just getting overly ready for real hair!  Debbie Your kindergartner story is cute...I had to laugh because I have a Graduate Assistant who asks if he can pat the top of my fuzzy head for "good luck" before exams! 

Gill You'll soon be ready to go on the attack to get rid of this pest.  Your July group and the "seasoned" women here will always be ready to provide support and shoulders--just let us know what's happenin'

Carole  This whole BC thing is confusing...not only do oncologists differ in their approaches, I think there are differences in entire regions as to appropriate treatments/protocols.  Even though I was Stage I, 0 node involvement, I have a high Grade histological grade (3)--which means my cancer was very aggressive.  I was also Triple Negative:  ER-, PR- and HER2- and TN tends to recur within the first few years.  TN means I have no hormone receptors to respond to treatment and help fight the cancer, but TNs tend to respond well to chemo, thus the decision to go with the chemo.  Since I had a lumpectomy, the radiation was a given.  To sum it up, I chose aggressive treatment to fight an aggressive cancer.  While there are some "standards," as you've discovered, there are still some possible factors that impact the choices.  AND I agree, being prepared is so important--you're making decisions that you never dreamed you'd be making and knowledge can help give you some peace (it can also drive you nuts, but I'm confident we'll have good outcomes when we get through this). 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Helen....that is very good advice about treatments.  This is one of those things where there are so many variables to consider.  In general, the smaller the tumor the less comprehensive the treatment will be.  I started out with a tiny, lazy cancer and chose lumpectomy.  Surgeon said maybe a couple weeks of rdiation after---lo and behold, once inside and not very far away from the first tumor was a second one ---  hidden under a bruise.  It was a lot bigger and was ductal cancer.  This threw me into 6 months of heavy chemo and 7 weeks of radiation.  I did however have nothing in my nodes which was a blessing.

I belileve that radiation is almost always used as this will eliminate any errant cell or cells that may have ducked under the wire duing any surgery.  It seems through long trial and error to have been found that though chemotherapy is destructive  ---  in time everything comes back.  Healthy cells re-form, hair comes back, body chemistries normalize etc. The idea of willingly taking poison or letting it drip into your veins is not pleasant.....but it is something that works  ---  nothing yet has been proven to be an alternative with the same amt. of success. 

Though the treatments can be a bit harsh with side effects ( they have lots of things to counter-act those now ) you balance a few months of treatmetns aganist the high possibility of a very bad outcome if you decide these things are not for you.

Hands down decision for me though I will tell you that I went into some depresson for a bit when it came up that my treatment would be a lot more extensive than the original test results had indicated.  Depressed and scared.....but at all costs I wanted to live. 

You will get your path report Carole and be able to see what is needed from that.....and once the choice is made you hopefully like me, will begin to feel some security that you are on the path to wellness.  As it appears that you have caught things early....you may indeed not have to have too involved a program. 

Hugs, Jackie 

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited July 2009

me either Jo..I could not lose a pound on Arimidex

• socallisa
    edited July 2009

Our pool is finally ready to swim...the chemicals were off after our trip...so today I found one of my four mastectomy bathing suits (all different sizes) that fit and jumped in..swam for a hour with back floats in between...ahhhh, I needed that..

• mzmiller99
    mzmiller99 Member Posts: 220
    edited July 2009

Hello old friends!!  I've been on a break from most things breast cancer.  I hope everyone from the spring-time posts is doing well. 

My love and hugs to all,

Susan

• MAGA922
    MAGA922 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2009

Hello,

So glad to have found you ladies!   I am 69 with BC.  First surgery one month ago, second surgery last week with negative lymph nodes, but more cancer.  Now I have a choice of mascectomy  & chemo or radiation & chemo.  Trying to decide what's best for me is pure torture!  I am not a person defined by my breasts, but I am not sure I want to go through radiation and have to worry that it will come back. ... Is there any sensible way I can make the decision?  My hubby will support either one. 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Hi Susan.....so glad you popped in.  We have missed you but probably nice to have a break...sometimes it gets to you just a bit. 

Maga922.....We are glad you found us too.  You said you have had two surgeries now but I'll have to admit I don't know what that means for sure.  What was the first surgery??  Trying to decide just what to do is fairly hard.  Most of us I think did not know too many people with cancer before we were diagnosed so we all start out knowing very little and feeling un-easy.  There reallly isn't any way to tell if cancer will come back.  We just have to decide what we think is right for us based on our path report and talking with our Oncologist.  Chemo and radiation was my choice after a lumpectomy and though it wasn't a walk in th park I'd do it just the same way if need be. 

Hugs, Jackie 

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2009

Hello Ladies

I hope you all had a great 4th of July. Mine was hectic!!!!! We had cars lined up the road waiting to get into the park, and all the vehicle parking was full. I was so ashamed of myself, one lady kept screaming at me, and I just lost it, I yelled back at her and told her if she could do a better job than me, she was welcome to the job. I had to ask forgiveness, I never should have lost it, but she just kept screaming and screaming and screaming at me, and I completely lost my control.

I want to ask you ladies a question. i heard that some of the deodorants we use can cause breast cancer, especially if they are metal based, is this true? If so, what brand of deodorants can we use? I have always used Secret, but now I am wondering if I should still use this brand, where can I find out if it is metal based or not? Do anyone of you know if this is true or not?

Gotta run, I have to cook breakfast and go and get Herceptin. Hope all you ladies have a great and blessed day, may Jesus Christ be with you all.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

Jo, I'm reading your pathology info at the bottom of your recent post and I see that you are zero for 16 nodes.  Why were 16 nodes removed?  I thought the practice now was to do the sentinel node biopsy, which involves 3 or 4 nodes. 

Hope you don't mind my asking.  I'm assuming that removing so many nodes is the reason you have some "mild arm LE"? 

Welcome to MAGA922.

SoCalLisa, that swimming pool looks so cool and inviting.  My husband and I visited the San Diego area for the first time last year in Sept.  He has two uncles who live in Vista.  We stayed in a beautiful rv park in Oceanside within easy walking distance of the ocean.  I so enjoyed walking along the ocean and watching the surfers.  Looking back, it seems so nice not to have had a clue that I was headed toward membership in the BC Club. 

Today I'm going out to lunch with several female neighbors who are being supportive.  My surgery date has been moved up one day to next Fri., the 24th.  Yesterday I had a wonderful phone conversation with a woman who was also a patient of both of my drs.  She's a 5 yr. survivor and is so upbeat that I felt more optimistic after talking to her.

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday.  I'm about to go and walk my 3 miles.

• MAGA922
    edited July 2009

Hello ladies and thank you for the warm welcome.  As I indicated earlier, I have had tow surgeries of the right breast in the last 5 weeks to remove cancer.  Diagnosis: Extensive dutal carcinoma in situ with cancerization of lobules; Lubular neoplasia; inflitrating carcinoma; febrocystic change with microcalcifications.  The size of the invasive componet is estimated to 3.2 cm and invasive carcinoma is present at the superior margin and presnt with 1mm of then anterior margin resection.  On 06/13/2009 second surgery to  remove more breast tissue.  Pathology report indicates margins are not clear and cancer may have "skipped" a layer of tissue and reappears again.  However, removal of underarm lymphs are negative for cancer cells.  Classified as Stage I.  Surgeon reccomends two choices of treatment.  Masectomy & Tamoxifen (or similiar)  or total breast radition & Tamoxifen. Discussions with radiologist/oncologist schedule this week.

I have talked (and prayed) the choices over with my family and friends.  Most of them have had experience with a relative in a similiar situation.  Those are voting 100% for MX.  The vote is 50/50 with the others.

I have Type II diabetes, more weight that I need, and associated other medical conditions.  I had a hysterectomy at age 24 so I am very well aware of mental implications.  You know, been there, done that, gonna write a book...

My heart & mind tells that I want to get back to a "normal" life ASAP with worries at minimin. I have a 14 year granddaughter I am very close to, a wonderful husband and son, as well as large extended family that I want to be around several more years for.  

Your advice was sound and very calming for me.  As I read through your blogs, it is uplifting to know I am not alone.

• MAGA922
    edited July 2009

BTW, What is "LE"?

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited July 2009

LE - Lymphedema.  I have bumped up the 'Abbreviations for newbiew' thread; find it under Active Forums.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Maga,

You have certainly had a lot going on with you.  I truly hesitated to say have the MX due to the fact that once gone it's over.  Personally, ( and I think it's as much because I have a little OC behavior in me ) I'd probably just have complete Mx....it is what I always said I would do anyway.  Of course, that was years and years before I heard the dreaded words.

Your thinking is quite sound....we are not our bodies and if possible, I think being a little more concerned with quality etc. is an optimum point.  Truly I think it is one of the comforts most of we seasoned ladies are able to partake of.....this understanding that we have a body....but it is the soul that actually counts.  We need the body.....but we don't need all the ??wonderful?? parts of it.....especially later on.  It still will be a difficult decision......there is healing that will have to be done with any surgery....and I don't know very many people with diabetes, but I think healing is a bit more involved.  Once you have spoken to your Radiologist and Oncologist again and had time to digest it all and prayed I hope the answers for you will easily show themselves. 

The ladies here are wonderful...just awesome if you ask me, so hope you will feel that you can come on at any time -- sometimes we just share a good laugh.

Healing prayers and hugs,

Jackie 

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2009

Welcome MAGA922 to one of the greatest threads on the bc site.  There are many awesome women on here who wil help in any way that they can help.  Only you can make the surgery decision.  I will say that my onc agreed with Jo's onc.  According to him, any tumor over 2.5 cm should warrant a masectomy.  However, I think it's obvious that all oncs don't agree and you are the one who needs to be good with your decision.  I had a small tumor that was grade 3 (aggressive) so I went with the lumpectomy, CMF chemo, and radiation.  I wanted to fight it will all that I could right from the start and never have to wonder, "what if I would have done this" down the line.  That's what you need to ask yourself and them make your decision on what works best for you and the way that you want to fight it.  The thing that is so scary is that there aren't any guarantees no matter what we do.  A gal I know had a very similar diagnosis to mine and opted out of the chemo, doing only the lumpectomy and the rads.  She is still fine, too.  Hugs to you as you grapple with this decision.  I found that things were much easier once I had my decisions made and my treatment plan in effect.

Jo...Yea!  Another pound.  You and Lisa have me so excited!  It MAY be possible to lose weight once I'm off the Arimidex.  Keep the good reports coming because I've really tried and I just can't lose any right now!

I need to get going!  We did the Golf4 the Cure this morning at the club and I am on the committee so I need to get back to help with the evening crew.  I hope we make lots of money and that it helps to find the cure ASAP!

Catch you all later.

Rita

• Cheyanne
    Cheyanne Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2009

Carole:  Just to let you know, the only treatment I have had for small not aggressive tumor is lumpectomy followed by mastectomy.  I told my surgeon right off there was no way I was going to have chemo, I have no desire to pump my body full of poison.  He at first recommended lumpectomy, radiation and hormonal therapy.  When I had the consult with radiation, I became pretty skeptical of it.  Did not want to sign up for 5 treatments per week for what, 7 weeks.  My surgeon then offered mastectomy and no radiation, after my lumpectomy showed some extra atypical cells.  I went ahead with the mastectomy on 4/21.  The medical oncologist was more persistent.  After a lot of research and thinking about it, I told him I did not want to take Arimidex.  Still connected with the idea of putting an unknown possibly toxic substance into my body, one that can cause a whole spectrum of side effects.  Somebody a few weeks ago on these boards seemed to think I have a "defeated" attitude.  Anything but!  I am 68, almost 69 years old and I intend to live the rest of my life, however long or short it  might be, without unecessarily compromising my quality of life. 

Somebody mentioned hearing that deodorant causes breast cancer.  Somebody else a while back blamed it on her poor diet.  Hey, nobody knows what causes breast cancer!  If all of the things that are blamed were true then everybody would have it. 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

You are so right Cheyanne....where cancer is concerned one size will never fit all.  Often it is whatever will give us a winner's attitude.  Personally.....I think through the years we have un-knowingly ( sometimes knowingly ) put so much in our bodies that we have built up ( not every lat person of course ) a huge tolerance for different substances --- yes even some poison.  Still, we have to use everything with caution. 

All most anything can have ill effects if we do too much of it......I try to be moderate and I also try not to use things I don't need too....I don't ask for prescriptions for things and  all that.  Just common sense a reason.....after a little study and trying not to be in too big a hurry.  I commend you for your attitude -- it's a positive one.

Hugs, Jackie

• Maire67
    Maire67 Member Posts: 418
    edited July 2010

• socallisa
    edited July 2009

Hi everyone..

Carole, glad you were able to visit our beaches in SoCalifornia..we lived all over the country and when my husband retired, he said now what..I said " I don't know about you, but I am staying put here in San Diego" so here we are and I love it...

Jo, I had a Sentinal Node biopsy back in 2000 ..I guess they were new then...my surgeon told me I had four sentinal nodes...so she took those out and one beyond them so a total of eight..I had one positive micromets...so I had CMF chemo..with a lumpectomy..then they reexamined my mammos before starting rads and saw some area of concern they had missed, and yep it was cancer as well, so I had a mastectomy..

Jackie, you changed your picture...

Rita, that golf for the cure sounds like a wonderful idea...I hope you enjoyed it..

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Yes Lisa,  I did change the picture and as well the signature line but I made a mistake and had to go back and correct it....The word should have been author.  Sometimes I read some of the things I have written and feel so sorry for the person ( things get a little mixed up now and then ) writing....only to discover "Oh my lands, I wrote that".  It's wonderful here as no one complains.  I hate to admit it's my old normal brain at work.  I have a tendency to think fast and type slow and one can never be sure how it is going to come out.  I use my spell-checker but because I KNOW  what I was trying to say.....re-reading it does not always reveal to me how backward some of it seems to come out.  A couple days later....if I notice it.,..a lot of cringing goes on.  You are all very nice about this and I appreciate it....more than you know.

Hugs

• socallisa
    edited July 2009

I think we all have some of the same brain problems..lol

• Motherof7
    Motherof7 Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2009

JO

Thanks for the info on the deodorant, sorry I didn't get back on here yesterday, but after herceptin, I'm like a zoombie the rest of the day, I sleep and sleep and sleep.my daughter came over and cooked for us, thank the Lord for that.

I know you're right about Jesus forgiving us when we fail, I was just so ashamed I went down to her level, I should have kept my cool, but the human side in me came out. I did not say one curse one to her, I just screamed at her and told her if she could do a better job than I was doing, she was welcome to the job. This job is getting to me I think, I am ready to come home! i don't think I will do this again. Just waiting for September 8, so I can come home.

I have a Dr's. appoint ment this morning, so i have to cook breakfast and get ready to go back to the zoo as my hubby calls it.

I will try and talk to you next week, I have to come for some test.

May God keep you and bless you immensely.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Mother of 7 --- there is a diffrece between your outburst the other day and the lady who was giving you such a hard time.  Some people feel like they have been taken advantage of in some way and feel they have a right to treat you in a hostile way so as to humiliate or embarrass or otherwise "get your goat".  It is difficult to stay calm and focused when someone is taking us to task over situations that don't and can't have the outcome they might like.  I saw the diference immediately......you care deeply about the behaviors you display.  Some people "love" to rise to the challenge and get rid of their vitrole and they seem to have plenty at any given time. 

Give yourself a much needed break on this.....you care about your behavior---you feel bad when you lose control --- the uestion to me is did this woman feel the same way --- I can't say for sure but I bet she didn't.  Do what Jo said and forgive yourself....you did not do anything wrong. 

Hugs,

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2009

Mother of 7 - I agree with Illinois lady. Last week someone came out of a car in a parking lot just busting for an argument. He asked what I thought about his parking job. I politely pointed out that he wasn't in a designated parking spot. He shouted that "she" was still in the car - which did me no good getting out of the tiny parking lot. Then he yelled at me about "giving him a dirty look" - even though I had sunglasses on. I told him that I couldn't see very well in the sun because I am on chemotherapy and that I hadn't given him a dirty look. Did he ever backpeddle then! He just wanted a fight for some reason and I was really happy not to be the woman in his car. Can't imagine her life!

• MAGA922
    edited July 2009

Jo, Rita,Jackie, et al

Ladies, you are so wonderful!  I would be acomplete mess if not for your advice, insight and messages of hope.  I am leaning very heavily toward MX.  I want to get back to as much of my normal life as possible as soon as possible.  I know there are no guarantees in life, but I want the best shot I can get.  As far as the diabetes is concerned, I am have able to manage it very well.  Right now, of course with all the stress it gets a little wacky, but my primary care doc is very pleased that my A1C stays below 7 (below 6 is optimum).  Healing has not been a problem with the surgeries so far, Thank God.

I am going to consult with the rad/onc doc today, but my mind is pretyy well made up.  I 'll get back with you later.  Meantime, from the bottom of my heart....thank you doesn't bring to say it.

Maga (Marie)  *Maga is what my grandaughter calls me.

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2009

Everyone is different. My tumor was 3.5cm with lymph nodes involved too. I had a lumpectomy, but the tumor was almost under my arm. Didn't feel like it was in the breast. The mammo lady had to work hard to get the flesh squeezed up to be in the mammo. Got my port yesterday and I am finishing up scans tomorrow then back to the oncologist next week when hopefully we will have a treatment plan. But as a TN I expect aggressive chemo with rads to follow.