Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Comments

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited July 2009

Thankyou ladies for your words of encouragement. I am a strong person and I will get through this! Right now I am in the no-man's land of waiting between surgery and treatment. I have several scans scheduled from tomorrow until July 17, then back to the oncologist to decide or even start treatment on July 21. I think one of the penalties of living in a rural area is that everything takes a long time. Pre-port appointment with the surgeon this afternoon. So a busy week or so ahead.

Look forward to getting to know you all.

• ritajean
    ritajean Member Posts: 4,042
    edited July 2009

Gill, it sounds like you've a plan in place and you're going to be quite busy for a few weeks now.  It's all so mind-boggling, isn't it?  Just tackle the appointments one at a time and before you know it, you'll be settled into a treatment routine!  Hugs!

Jackie....please let us know how your 3 month appointment goes.  I am hoping and praying that it's not as traumatic as mine was and that all if looking good!

Oh my gosh Jo!  Aren't you getting tired of being so special and rare???  LOL  Hang in there.  You are definitely due for a break!  How's the cellulitis doing? Feeling better now?

Helen, thanks for the kind words.  I'm planning on sticking around and offering encouragement when I can.  There were so many gals who helped me through the journey and it IS hard to see the end of the line when you're struggling with the treatments and emotional turmoil that goes with them.  However, there is life after breast cancer.  We never forget the experience and we always have a little fear about recurrences, but we do go on.....feeling more like our old selves ....to enjoy those things in life that always interested us.  You will get there.  Believe me, it makes you value each and every good day much more than you ever did, as each is indeed a gift.  This past Easter was the first holiday that I actually felt 100% and it was so nice to share it with my family.  Most survivors call it their "new normal" because we've experienced many changes, but the "new normal" sure isn't bad.  Hang in there!  You will get there, too!

Rita

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

Hello, other "older" ladies.  I'm 66 years old and live in Madisonville, LA, between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.  I was diagnosed on June 25th with a small (6mm) DC tumor in my right breast.  What a shock.  I hardly took in anything the kind radiologist said after he made the announcement, "Your report was positive."  My husband and I were in the process of loading up our rv to head north for the summer.  The 5th wheel was parked in the driveway.  We had rv park reservations in MI through Aug. and didn't plan to return to south LA until the first of Oct.  So we unloaded the rv and started the process of drs. appointments, MRI of both breasts, PET/CT scan of whole body. 

I'm scheduled for surgery on Sat., July 25th.  Bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction, silicone implants and Alloderm.  I had the option of lumpectomy with radiation, but I want to avoid the radiation and do whatever I can to avoid recurrence.  If my lymph nodes are clear, I probably won't have to do chemo.  A sample of the tumor will be sent off and analyzed and rated for aggressiveness.

I'm physically active and play golf 3 or 4 times a week.  I'm a retired writer.  My pen name was Carole Halston when I wrote romance novels for Silhouette Books.  It doesn't help to have an active imagination when you're faced with a situation like this. 

My husband and I have been married almost 40 years.  We didn't have children but we both have big extended families and have enjoyed nieces and nephews and now their children.  He's very supportive and will be a good nurse through my post-op period.  I'm squeamish and can't stand the sight of a wound. 

I look forward to getting to know the people on this discussion forum.  Later I'll go back and read the earlier posts.  Now I'm off to walk my 3 miles.  It's hard not to be bitter when you've exercised and lived a healthy lifestyle and still get BC.

Carolyn from South Louisiana

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,263
    edited July 2009

Welcome Carolyn,

So sorry you are having to deal with this, but very glad you found us.  You sound like you have a good handle on everything that is going on despite the shock factor.  I think like so many ( and as Jo so aptly puts it ) you take good care of yourself, stay up to date on check-ups and then a bolt from the blue comes crashing in anyway.  No rhyme or reason that is evident and more than likely never will be. 

This is a great place to be as you go through the changes you may have on this side-trip life has given you.  We will do our best to answer any questions we are able through our own experiences and if we don't have an answer ( usually someone does ) we will just hold you up and support you while offering our encouragement. 

Hugs, Jackie

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2009

Hi Carolyn,

You have found a good place to come for comfort and advise.  

Well, ladies, I had an interesting two days.  I ate "something" late Tuesday afternoon and went into anaphylactic shock.  Rushed to the hospital via ambulance (how very dramatic) and was admitted overnight for observation.  Loaded with benadryl, epinephrine and steroids and am now on a prednisone pack.  Sigh.  They turned me loose yesterday late afternoon but I am still not feeling up to par.  I have a flushed face right now and am shaky but no more swelling in my mouth and throat.  Geeezzz, scary to have your throat close up on you like that.  Oh cancer is becoming so much fun.  They don't think it was from the cancer drugs as they don't have anything in them that would cause an allergic reaction.  Probably from the cookies I ate right before it happened.  I just have to watch out for that brand of cookies as they probably have whatever it was (could have been as simple as a dye) in them, from now on and carry an Epi Pen with me at all times.  Oh goody gum drops.  

I want to move on to the next scenario PLEASE!!!  The reason I was so worried about the reaction was because I had my Zometa infusion that morning and I was terrified it was the Zometa and I wouldn't be able to use it.  It seems to be doing such a good job.  I never knew when you have an allergic reaction, like that it takes a while for it to go away.  Sigh.

OK, that is my tale of whoa for this few minutes of my life.  

I also didn't get my paper done as this happened right about when I started working on it. 

Hope my prof is in a good mood.

Sometimes life is just a barrel of monkeys.  LOL

Hope everyone has a good day, At east better then mine have been this week.  LOL

Hugs, Pam

• amE2
    amE2 Member Posts: 90
    edited July 2009

Hi,

Yes, Jo and thanks.  There are fire ants here in FLA and I have had reactions to them before.  They can get into the house almost anywhere.  I was thinking the same thing.  I also ate strawberries on Tuesday, a Strawberry popsicle.  But they (the docs) think that it was the Voortman cookies (Allmetto's) that I ate right before it happened ( :-( I love Voortman cookies), maybe a dye in them but I also noticed a bite on my leg at the same time.  Also this house seems to be a haven for spiders.  Coulda been one of them creepy crawlers also.  I (we) just don't know.  When I go on Aug. 3 to see my family GP I am going to mention all the possibilities and see if she wants to run some tests or send me to an allergist.  Anway I guess I am stuck with the Epi Pen for the rest of my life. 

Sigh, just what I need, more money flying out the window into other peoples pockets.  I really am getting tired of it.  We (Robert and I ) just don't make this kind of money.  This economy is for the birds.  

OK, enough of that self indulgence.  I need to go study.

Thanks Jo for the ideas.  They made me think.

Hugs, Pam

• Gramof3
    Gramof3 Member Posts: 111
    edited July 2009

Here Chooks, Chooks, Chooks,  Hope everyone is doing well this evening.  It is HOT here--looks like the weekend will be warm too.  My HS school reunion is Saturday and I decided to go--now thinking maybe not such a good idea.  It's a long drive.  Oh well.....

Carolyn I'm glad you found us,  This journey is so overwhelming at times--we're here to listen, chat, share, lend a cyber shoulder.  Come often.

Pam  Wow!  I've had allergic reactions, but not like you had.  Hope you find out the cause soon.

Gill  Thinking of you--when will you have the port placement?  I know it's one more procedure to deal with, but you won't regret having one placed.

My duck fuzz hair is growing in sooooo slow.  I'd rather skip the phuzz phase and just go directly to the "real" hair, but I guess it doesn't work that way??  Take care, Chooks.  Helen

• gillyone
    edited July 2009
    I've had a busy morning at the hospital. I was scheduled for a C/T scan at 9am to be followed by an MRI. When I checked in I was asked had I taken my "prep". What prep, I was just told no food or drink after midnight -easy peasy. So the tech mixed up almost a liter of artificial lemon flavored stuff and said it takes a couple of hours to work so we'll do your MRI first. I worked really hard at not moving and not being freaked out in the tube. I sang songs in my head and recited multiplication tables (!) and then she pulled me out. She was having computer problems and needed to reboot. Of course this meant she had to start over with me.

After a break on to the C/T scan. The tech had trouble getting the IV in and sent for the nurse. Told me I might want to burp with the crystal stuff, but try not to. When he injected the contrast he said you might feel a warm flush and some people feel like they need to pee, but you won't. Well I did feel like that and had to check to make sure I hadn't pee-ed.

Back home and I'm sitting with my laptop checking out the posts and I'm passing gas (those burps?) and I think oh sh$t - literally. I dash to the bathroom with new undies. Sheesh. It's a long time since I pooped my pants. Anybody have loose bowel reactions to C/T fluids? Nobody warned me about it. I'm glad I was home!!

Helen - port goes in July 15.

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    edited July 2009

Hi everyone! It's been sooo long since I've posted. Still not at the decorating stage. Still unpacking boxes. Due to some circumstances beyond my control (NOT cancer related), the boxes are still piled in my dining room. Plan to get a lot accomplished this week and next. . Jo and Pam - so very sorry about your illnesses! Wow - you two have really been through the wringer. My 12 yo granddaughter arrived on the 4th and will be here for at least a month. She'll keep things hopping around here. Carolyn, Ironsides and Gill - (and all other new posters) you've found a wonderful place to unburden yourselves and get support. Gill - your post cracked me up. I like your attitude and think you'll do just fine. I firmly believe that finding things to laugh about on this journey really helps.

• dkhancock1948
    dkhancock1948 Member Posts: 181
    edited July 2009

Hello to everyone.  I am new to this thread, but have been lurking a week or two.  I have been amazed at all everyone has been dealing with and everything we have to deal with.  Who would have thought what we would have to deal with going through this journey.

Gill:  Wow!  What a day.  Before the "chemo", I don't remember having many side effects to anything, but not anymore.  I can't remember which one of the medicines I took or what, but I had the same problem.  And the path better be clear between you and the bathroom! 

My modesty is nothing like it was and when things happen that you never would have thought would have happened, sometimes you think, "Oh, well", nothing I can do about it.  (At least right now).

Have a good evening.

Debbie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited July 2009

Hugs for all.  I too carry an epi pen and several benedryl caplets.  Was told to take 2 of them and do the pen thing and call 911.  I have gone into shock and thank goodness my husband was alive and home at the time or who knows...   My latest was being covered head to toe with hives after a herceptin tx.  But is only happened the one time. 

Allergies are no fun and I do wear a medic alert on my ankle - bracelet style - instead of on my wrist.   I have printed my allergies on computer address labels and carry with me to stick on myself, my files, and give to dr, nurses and techs.   Funny in a way, because when they ask if I am allergic, I tell them there is not enough room to put them all.   I also have a bunch on the fridge with a magnet and taped on the back of my apartment door in case of emergencies.   

My memory is so lousy but I chalk it up to a combination of age and chemo brain.  Post its are all over my bathroom mirror to remind me of appointments and things I need to do.  Sometimes I call myself if out, from cell phone to the land line, to remind myself and I still forget...   

Have a super evening and a great weekend,  Hugs,  Nancy 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Hancock 1948....glad to see you here.....Gilly as well.  Had to chuckle a little about the prep drinks....I had to do one of those right after my diagnosis.....and you might know, I always seem to save one delayed reaction.  Fortunately I had placed a just in case towel in my car seat....since my cancer center was 73 miles away and 25 minutes from home...you guessed it.  I squirmed the wrong way ( thinking all the while I would save myself ) and the opposite happened.  Told Dh not to breathe too deeply for the next 25 minutes and definitely not through his nose.  If you don't mind the pun....it sure felt crappy sitting there for the next 25 minutes. Got home and had to wash my clothes, the towel, deodorize the car.......It got funny.....but not while I was having to simonize everything in sight. 

Hope you all have a good day tomorrow....I'm bushed again....a hard two days and I need to get to sleep early tonight....hi to everyone though.  I'm thinking about all of you.

Jackie

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

Was there someone on this thread that found an enlarged lymph node after surgery was done and rads were done? There is this lady that posted this and has had no response.  She is really anxious.

LoriL wrote:

Hello ladies!

I had bilateral mast 5/28/09 with a negative Sentinel node biopsy at that time. About 2-3 weeks ago I noticed an enlarged lymph node (a little smaller than the size of a marble) but reasoned that it was from the recent surgery. I started rads 3 days ago since my margins were close, and mentioned the lymph node to my Radiation Oncologist today. He believes it is likely from the surgery, but wants it biopsied just to be on the safe side. Now I'm REALLY worried! 

My surgeon was certain that he had identified the correct Sentinel node, but I know that they are not 100% accurate. Has anyone out there had a negative Sentinel node biopsy but then found to have cancer in other nodes???

I was able to get in to see my surgeon tomorrow- I'm hoping he will do a needle biopsy right then in the office. I swear, this is almost worrying me more than I was before the initial cancer diagnosis! I have been breathing a sigh of relief as my Oncotype Dx was low and therefore chemo wasn't needed. But, now, my mind is just racing! Help! 

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

for Loril:

The axillary node biopsy I think is still considered basically the best kind to have for node biopsies however; I think more and more times surgeons are going to the Sentinel node biopsies...for a couple of reasons that I can think off the top of my head.  First, with axillary biopsies many nodes can be taken but no one really knows which is the Sentinel node....and the Sentinel node will be the first usually two or three that actually drain the breast area.  So, you know doing a Sentinel node.......how many nodes to remove.....if nothing is found in those nodes then they can make an assumption that nothing will be in any of the others.  So, the Sentinel node biopsy is about 95 % accurate.  I would imagine the possibility that there are percentage numbers on axillary as well but I don't know what they are. 

I personally had a Sentinel node biopsy done at time of lumpectomy.  I only had three nodes that were Sentinels....and they were all removed and checked and were totally negative for any cancer cells.  Done this way you do no have drains to deal with....and probably less surgery all together which makes for a quicker recovery period.  There are risks with anything.....but with only a 5 % chance of any other of my nodes showing something I was fairly un-concerned.  I think there is method to madness and a plan in everything that happens.....sometimes you will have to walk on in faith because you may have little else to guide you.  Just gather the best info you can and hopefully whatever indicates to you will be what is truly correct. 

I also know you can have some swollen lymph nodes and they will be negative.  Often I think it comes from the disturbance of your nodes, surgery and other txs. I have a habit of holding my arm up at night curled around my head while sitting in my recliner.  Somehow this just indicates as a correct move on my part to help insure that my lymph system in the underarm area drains correctly.  So far, so good.

I will see you all later.  I'm at work and have a client. 

Hugs, Jackie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Good Sunday morning everyone.  Hope you are all enjoying the week-end.  Dh is gone this week-end so I am getting to spend solitary time and it feels healthy.  A good thing to do now and then.

I'll be checking back later....seems we have been quiet this week-end so far.

Jackie

• gillyone
    edited July 2009

Jackie - thanks for keeping this thread going. I really have nothing to report. More scans next week and I get my port on Wednesday. Although I have had surgery, I don't really feel like I've done anything yet. Not that I want to feel crappy, I just want to get started to beat this thing.

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited July 2009

I just had two weeks with relatives from England - lots of fun to be busy and distracted from health issues and kind of tiring. Back to chemo #4 of 6 tomorrow. Looks like light at the end of the tunnel - and I think it is not a train coming towards me!

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Good afternoon ladies.....with Dh gone as yet to Betterdorf Iowa ( we are having another storm here in southern Illinois ) I guess I have too much time on my hands.  Still, I like to check here --- you never know when someone will get the urge ( and it could be a newcomer who is waiting, hoping and praying for comfort of some kind ) to be sure that all is quiet and everyone is ok.

Gilly, the wait is hard isn't it ?  We have the surgery, but you still think of something being inside that needs to have something done....and who would think that anyone would welcome poison.....but just in case some errant cell is floating around looking for a place to land -- you welcome the idea of handling it so it does not end up handling you.  Not a very scientific statement, but that is most of the purpose of chemo.....a systemic tx so that cancer cells anywhere in the body....far away perhaps from your diagnosed site are obliterated.  Sort of an insurance policy.....Here's to Wednesday and the start of the good fight to reclaim your body.

Leslie.....you are close to the end already.  Chemo does tend to zap you somewhat so you have a perfect right to be tired --- exciting though to have company from another shore though.  Distractions are good....otherwise the regimen can be a bit grueling.  The effects of chemo are cumulative but it is the last one....maybe because you know it's the last that tends to get tedious.  You just want that part done.  We are with you though. 

The rain continues here.....soothing a bit really.  I took this from another bc group but you might enjoy it also.....

This is really worth watching.  This group, without
    instrumentation, sing Toto's 1982 hit song "Africa".  

http://baricko.us/africa.htm

It is amazing.  Hope it opens for everyone.

Jackie

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,088
    edited July 2009

I had good news on Friday.  The MRI of both breasts showed no cancer except the small tumor in my right breast, 6 to 8 mm.  It didn't show any cancer in the lymph nodes.  But I think the cancer surgeon will do the SNB when I undergo Bilateral and one-step reconstruction on July 25th. 

I had a really bad night last night.  Slept very fitfully after reading an e-mail from my dr. brother-in-law asking me if I'd reconsidered my surgery option after getting the MRI report.  He pointed out that a lumpectomy would entail less recovery time and less chance of complications and infections.  It would also mean years of mammograms and worries about recurrence.  Plus I would have to undergo radiation.

There's no really good choice when you have breast cancer other than to have it disappear, but we line up the pluses and minuses and choose what seems the best for us as individuals. 

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

Jackie:  I just opened Perpetuum Jazzile!  All I can say is WOW!!!  That was great.  I do think I like it better than the original with Toto.

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

I just received this from my cousin and I thought about all of you.  Hope I can paste it all.  Debbie

TO YOU FROM ME

You're My friend,through good times and bad
    my friend, my buddy
    through happy and sad.
    Beside me you stand,
    beside me you walk,
    you're there to listen,
    you're there to talk,
    with happiness,
    with smiles ,
    with pain and tears,
    I know you'll be there,
    throughout the years!
    You are all good friends to me
    and I am grateful to you.

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

You're My friend,through good times and bad
    my friend, my buddy
    through happy and sad.
    Beside me you stand,
    beside me you walk,
    you're there to listen,
    you're there to talk,
    with happiness,
    with smiles ,
    with pain and tears,
    I know you'll be there,
    throughout the years!
    You are all good friends to me
    and I am grateful to you.

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

I can't get the rose to paste.  Sorry.  Debbie

• illinoislady
    edited July 2009

Carole....so glad you had good results with your tests on Friday.  I can understand why your BIL asked that question.  Many surgeons and Dr.s now-days like breast conserving surgeries for all the reasons that he mentioned. 

I think you should do whatever offers YOU the most comfort and reassurance but I think I would be remiss if I did not point out that nothing really offers a guarantee.....whether the complete breast and underlying tissue is removed or just the lump where the tumor is.....but you know this.  If memory serves ( and many times it doesn't all that well ) you had already weighed all the pros and cons and felt a bilateral would best handle your situation and offer the needed comfort level in your own personal case.  It's a tough decision but you know what is best for you.  Need them as we often do, and though there are many that I think the world of, I'd be the first to say that some Dr.s forget that medically speaking and with all their training one point of view may seem best, but they are thinking mainly of the body....we also have a mind and spirit to be satisfied as well.  We tend to take into consideration all the parts of ourselves when making a decision. 

I hope you get some rest tonight.  I'm sure you did your homework and that you have chosen something that will be the best fit for you. 

Hugs, Jakie

Debbie....it is good music and a delightful group.....I have listened several times.  I went back to edit....we were posting same time.  I like the poem.  Very thoughtful.

• Gramof3
    edited July 2009

Oh Chooks,

I've missed you all--have been in NE MO for my high school class reunion.  I had a great time--so glad I got past all of the reluctance to go.  However, I am completely zapped, plus have chemo in the moring, so will just wish everyone a quiet night and will catch up later. Take care.  Helen

• Gramof3
    edited July 2009

Carole,

I think this is one of the toughest decisions a woman may have to make.  I agree with Jackie, that it needs to be right for you, and that there are no guarantees for any of us.  For me, SNB showed 4 nodes/ all B9; plus no vascular invasion.  I live alone, am still working full time, plus was just assigned a big grant project, so recovery time was a major factor for me.  After talking at length with my BS, I decided on lumpectomy, got clear margins, and am convinced that it was right for me, but I certainly understand your perspective (my best friend made the choice you are considering).   It's a gamble no matter how you look at it.  (((((Hugs and prayers))) as you walk this road--there are so many of us--don't forget we're here for support, venting, celebrating--you name it. 

Chooks, Taxol # 9 went well...am counting down now!!  I really can't complain as I've had few side effects and know I'll get through rads fine as well.  The oncologist did order x-rays of my hip and a MRI of my head(!!)--he asked if I had felt dizzy, fainted, etc. before my fall in the parking lot.  I told him there's nothing wrong with  my head--I'm just a natural-born KLUTZ,  O.K. so am having the MRI at 6 am (!!!) on Thursday.  Ah, the twists and turns we make.  Hope everyone is having a good evening...so quiet on the board--everyone o.K.?  Take care.  Helen

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

Helen:  Let us know the results of your MRI.  6am- horrible time.  How long does it take you to get there?  Hope it isn't a long drive.

One thing that left with chemo was the strength in my hands.  So far, I haven't gotten all my strength back.  It is really something when you have to ask your grandchildren (when they are visiting) to open something up for you because you can't do it yourself - like twist caps and potato chip bags, etc.

I actually like the color of my hair coming in.  It is really strange how it comes in though.  I have dark brown hair and most people didn't see much white before I was diagnosed, but it was there.  When it started coming back in, the back was all dark brown, but the front was all white.  I thought this was going to look strange.  Then the brown started coming in.  Now it has a silvery cast to it in front.  It's hair.  I am very glad it's coming in.

Different odd and ends with pains.  I can't remember if I had them before cancer or if they are new.  I can't believe the number that chemo does to your body.

Good night, all.

• Gramof3
    edited July 2009

Debbie--Lucky for me, I only live about 15 minutes from the hospital.  Maybe I'll just wear my PJs over!   With your hair, did you have fuzzy stuff come in first?  What I have is almost invisible--white or gray(?--can't tell) on top and sides--some darker fuzz on back. I'm thinking I may end up looking like Benjamin Franklin.

I didn't have much strength in my hands before chemo, so it looks a little grim...have some carpal tunnel, but will see about taking care of that later!   Helen

• dkhancock1948
    edited July 2009

Helen:  I had fuzz that was as soft as baby chicks or baby ducks fuzz.  I tried to wear a wig (got a beautiful red one) and hated wearing it.  I wore scarves then.  I had my last chemo on March 19th.  I think I stopped wearing anything around the first part of May.  I teach kindergarten and I had one little boy that would rub my head as he talked with me.  He would come in the morning and give me a hug the first thing.  I really miss all my hugs from those little ones.  I was fortunate to be able to work during chemo.  I think it was the kids that kept me going.  My husband died 3 years ago this coming November, so when I am home, I am alone.  I have found many things through cancer and one is I don't want to be alone. The kids were a blessing to me.

Yes, my hair came in that way too -white top and sides & dark brown in back.  It does make you think is this what I will have.   But then, I was just glad to have hair! I used to have a little natural wave in my hair.  So far it hasn't come back in that way, but it is only about an inch long all over.

Debbie

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited July 2009

I had the white peach fuzz trimmed off when my hair had grown enough to be scraggly around my ears and back of my neck.   The color was then more like my previous salt and pepper mixture.   And it was naturally curly before, but NOW, it is very curly, virtual ringlets and very soft.  It is about time to have the sides and back trimmed again, as I prefer a short hair cut.   My last chemo (taxol and herceptin) was October 2008.   It has not grown fast, but it is growing and pretty thick, as it was before.