Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2012
    Options

gentianviolet, LOL - I can identify with your DH!  Maybe if I cut it up reeeeeeally tiny it'll be too small to pick out, haha!

• thenewme
    edited January 2012
    Options

Another interesting thyroid-related article I just finished:

Hypothyroidism: The Facts, the Controversies, and the Pseudoscience 

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited January 2012
    Options

i juat want to thank you ladies for all the links, and info here.. my QOL is spiraling down from the combination of ms and hypo.. atypical sub acute is what they dxed.. seeing a chiro who "specializes" in hypo tommorrow, a conference Q&A.. hes on you tube, a lot, and i'll withhold my opinion till i hear what he has to say.. so far, i think its not so good...then, of course, insurance not being taken burns me!!!thats' why i can't afford a naturopath!!I pay so much for the d$%$^&** ins; then, its not covered!!!its a maze.. but, you ladies are helping so much!!!

i am looking into the test site for iodoral.. im allergic to iodine (but just iv)  and, can't take kelp with ms; it really is a maze!!!

your knowledge, and your committment to doing the research is awesome!!!

3jays

• impositive
    impositive Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2012
    Options

Rrrrooowwww, thenewme, retract those claws, you are always in attack mode, lol.

• thenewme
    edited January 2012
    Options

Nah, I'm not even close to being in attack mode.  I save all my "attack energy" for real situations.

• digger
    digger Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2012
    Options

Settle down there, impositive.  There you go with that black and white thinking again.  If someone doesn't happen to agree with your personal opinions which are stated as facts, then they are automatically attacking you.  A little gray thinking would really help you a lot, lol!

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited February 2012
    Options

Webcast tonight with doctor brownstein about iodine. Scroll down to end of blog for link:

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/natural-healing/breast-cancer-2.html

edited to add

That link might get you to the free podcast so here are the directions:

Talk Hour naturalnewsteam@optonline.net via aweber.com

2:33 AM (16 hours ago)

According to our next guest, David Brownstein, M.D. -

"over 95 percent of people are deficient in
    Iodine".

This is a serious health warning - please join us

for an important discussion about the connection

between iodine and cancer risk plus much more.

We'll also talk about thyroid disease, ADD, fluoride

and detoxification. 
    Dr. Brownstein believes that

holisitic medicine IS the future of modern medicine.

You're going to LOVE this program!  Please share this

email with your family and friends - encourage them to join
    us!

(2) ways to hear this show - LIVE!

Thu. Feb. 2, 2012 - 9:00 pm (EST) / 6:00 pm (PST)

Phone Number:     
    760-569-7676

Access Code:         
    815676#

or, listen to our LIVE Webcast - use the link
    below:http://www.naturalhealth365.com/talkhourshow.html

Talk soon,

Jonathan Landsman, Host

NaturalNews Talk Hour

• vivre
    edited February 2012
    Options

Not sure why this will not post right, but this should be an interesting talk tonight about iodine and bc.Sorry if the formatting does not look right.

Talk Hour naturalnewsteam@optonline.net via aweber.com

2:33 AM (16 hours ago)

According to our next guest, David Brownstein, M.D. -

"over 95 percent of people are deficient in
    Iodine".

This is a serious health warning - please join us

for an important discussion about the connection

between iodine and cancer risk plus much more.

We'll also talk about thyroid disease, ADD, fluoride

and detoxification. 
    Dr. Brownstein believes that

holisitic medicine IS the future of modern medicine.

You're going to LOVE this program!  Please share this

email with your family and friends - encourage them to join
    us!

(2) ways to hear this show - LIVE!

Thu. Feb. 2, 2012 - 9:00 pm (EST) / 6:00 pm (PST)

Phone Number:     
    760-569-7676

Access Code:         
    815676#

or, listen to our LIVE Webcast - use the link
    below:http://www.naturalhealth365.com/talkhourshow.html

Talk soon,

Jonathan Landsman, Host

NaturalNews Talk Hour

• thenewme
    edited February 2012
    Options

"The NaturalNews Talk Hour begins this Thursday evening at 6pm Pacific / 9pm Eastern, and registration is FREE. Simply click the banner "free shows" on the right column of this page, enter your email address and you'll receive show details plus a FREE 7-Day juice cleanse!"

Sponsored by NaturalNews' "InnerCircle" of affiliate marketers paid to promote quackery.  Provide them your email address and see how you too can become a paid shill.   

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

the article thenewme posted has something I know is not accurate.

Since 2003 the American Society of Endocrinologists have recommended that the "normal" range for TSH be no higher than 2.5

This report still uses the OLD measurement of up to about 6.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 32
    edited February 2012
    Options

Brownstein is a quack and Mike Adams is one of the biggest fear mongering altie lunatics out there. I would suggest staying away from natural news unless you want a good laugh.  Orac wrote about Mike Adams and his nauralnews website today:

Since I wrote about a man who is arguably the biggest seller of quackery on the Internet, namely Joe Mercola, yesterday, I thought I'd turn my attention to someone who is arguably another of the biggest promoters of quackery on the Internet, namely Mike Adams of NaturalNews.com. If Joe Mercola is proof positive that quackery sells, Mike Adams is proof positive that there are conspiracy theorists out there who are so reality-challenged that they'll believe virtually anything. Whether it's his despicable assaults on dead celebrities as having been "killed by modern medicine," his constant stream of antivaccine fear mongering, or his hilariously inept attempt to out-Chopra Deepak Chopra while mixing in liberal helpings of pure unadulterated fevered conspiracy mongering, truly no one brings home the crazy about alternative medicine the way that Mike Adams does. As a result, he's a major force on the Internet, at least in the realm of quackery and attacking science=-based medicine. True, he doesn't appear to be nearly as good at marketing wares for huge profits, but he sure does appear to be good at marketing himself. While Mercola is cold and calculating about how to make money; Mike Adams appears to be just as calculating, but he's more about stirring up emotion and conspiracy theories. Unfortunately, he seems to be pretty good at it.

I must admit that I have a bit of a fascination for Mike Adams. I have a rational mind (or, at least, I try to have a rational mind); so it's really hard to wrap my brain around the sheer lunacy that is Mike Adams. There appears to be no conspiracy theory too outlandish for him to buy into uncritically, no charge against big pharma too unbelievable. In fact, I have a hard time deciding whether Adams is a true believer who really lives his paranoid world view or a scammer with a talent for tapping into the paranoia of the more gullible. I suspect it's a little of both but leaning towards the former. After all, a man who can produce a video in which science is portrayed as an unrelenting force for evil probably must at some level believe that science is an unrelenting force for evil. Either that, or he's extremely good at lying and mimicking paranoia.

Whatever Adams' motivation, his penchant for bringing home the crazy was on full display last night in an article entitled Microsoft buys eugenics technology from Merck, becomes drug development partner with top global vaccine manufacturer. Somehow I ended up on Adams' NaturalNews.com mailing list a while back. Actually, I ended up on it twice, once per my two main blogging e-mail addresses, meaning that I get a double dose of crazy delivered to my in box every morning; so when this gem popped up I just couldn't resist. One of these days, fascination with this much concentrated misinformation might suck me past the event horizon of the black hole of crazy that is Mike Adams' website. Not today. Today, I take my amusement (and hopefully produce yours

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/02/microsoft_merck_and_bill_gates_eugenicists.php#more

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited February 2012
    Options

My naturopathic doc has prescribed iodine and I'm taking it.  I will try to listen to the broadcast.

• crabbiepattie
    crabbiepattie Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    Options

SunflowersMA - I actually talked to a real doctor at Quest Labs after the tighter range for TSH came out.  Like talking to a wall.  My recent test via Labcorp shows a TSH range of 0.45 - 4.5.  Maybe they're edging toward the new tighter range slowly.

• 3jaysmom
    edited February 2012
    Options
    kaara: i went to send you a pm; but you have nowhere on your home to "send a private message" fyi.. what dose of iodine did he rx? is it iodine or iodoral??? thanks, 3jays
  • stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    edited February 2012
    Options

kaara, did he do a test first to see that you are low in iodine?

• Kaara
    edited February 2012
    Options

stage1:  Sorry about the delayed response...yes a test was done and I was slightly low.  I have a thyroid problem already.

• vivre
    edited February 2012
    Options

I have lots of links archived about iodine. Here is one of my favorites:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller20.html

• vivre
    edited March 2012
    Options

bump

• 3jaysmom
    edited March 2012
    Options
    can't get the "linky" to work...can you try again???3jays
  • allurbaddayswillend
    allurbaddayswillend Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2012
    Options

Kaara, can you advise me on what kinds of tests can be done to check my iodine level and my thyroid? I had to minimize my iodine intake for a couple of years in order to control a skin condition associated with my celiac disease and that's one of the factors I think about when I wonder "Why the hell did I get breast cancer?" I recently had a massive skin outbreak when topical iodine was used to clean me up for surgery but I've heard that can go hand in hand with thyroid issues too. any comments?

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited May 2012
    Options

From what I understand the thyroid gland, thyroid hormones effects our whole body. When one part of our body doesn't function properly then it's a chanin reaction. Our cells need the t3 to do it's job, so yes, it seems to me it's plausable that thyroid defenciies can be linked to cancer. My natualpath does the blood test. My thyroid blood test still aren't stable. With thyroid hormones my tsh is normal but my t3 is still low, which makes me think the problem could be in the liver , where the T4 manufactuers t3. Vivre will correct me if I'm wrong as she's the expert here. I also know you need enough b-12 stored in the liver to aid the T4 to do its job. I've had a b-12 shortage in the past so that could be why I'm low on t-3.

I saw another naturalpath who thinks I don't have a thyroid problem. He might be right in that I don't have the symptoms that usually go with thryoid problems. He thought my problem was more adrenal exhaustion. I'm taking adrenal support supplements now so it will be interesting to see how my next thyroid blood test come out.

• Kaara
    edited May 2012
    Options

allur:  My iodine deficiency was discovered in a series of blood and urine tests that my naturopath did on me.  I'm now taking an iodine supplement daily and my thyroid has been functioning better...no symptoms as I've had in the past.

• 3jaysmom
    edited May 2012
    Options
    my guy is just starting to look into the adrenal exhaustionm.. my b 12 never was low, now , my liver enzymes have raised, and he's a bit concerned with my liver, and t3.. whats the name of the supplement you take for adrenal exhaustion? i'll mention it to him. im taking d3 and b 12; which im low on both............3jays
  • new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 252
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • rameshd33
    rameshd33 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2016
    Options

If you are not absorbing much, did you try the Bromine detox before taking iodine

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited June 2017
    Options

BUMP

Taking Thyroid Hormone Increases Breast Cancer Risk By 200%

Recently, I received this email question:

"Dr. Brownstein stated something in his June, 2014 Natural Way To Health newsletter (http://brownsteinhealth.com/) that caused quite a stir. He said, "Studies have shown that women who take thyroid hormone for more than 15 years have a higher risk of breast cancer than those who have not taken thyroid hormone."

My question is this: Is the thyroid hormone you are referring to I this statement synthetic hormone or is both synthetic and natural, desiccated thyroid hormone that is causing the cancer?

Thank you for clarifying this. There are a lot of people across many Facebook and Curzone thyroid groups who are quite concerned and we would all like a clarification on this statement, please.

Than you,

Karen D

Karen,

Unfortunately, it is true: there is an association between long-term thyroid hormone use and breast cancer. (1) However, I have a typo in the original article, which I apologize for (no excuses for this one—I looked at the wrong graph). However, the typo does not detract from my explanation of why women who take thyroid hormone have an increased risk of breast cancer.

The study found a 200% (not a 50%) increase risk of breast cancer in women who took thyroid hormone for at least 15 years as compared to women who did not take thyroid hormone. You read that correctly: a 200% increase risk of breast cancer in women who took thyroid hormone as compared to women who did not take thyroid hormone.

How could that be? The answer is simple: The increased breast risk in thyroid supplemented women is due to iodine deficiency. If the majority of the women were deficient in iodine, then taking thyroid hormone would be the wrong treatment. Thyroid supplementation increases the body's metabolic needs and therefore increases the body's need for iodine. If someone is iodine deficient and is prescribed thyroid hormone, thyroid supplementation will worsen the iodine-deficiency problem. As I have stated in my newsletters and books, I believe that iodine deficiency could be responsible for why one in seven U.S. women are suffering with breast cancer.

What is the solution? If you are prescribed thyroid hormone to have your iodine levels checked. If you are low in iodine, it is best to either correct iodine deficiency first or at least take iodine concurrently with thyroid hormone. Iodine is needed by the breast tissue to maintain a normal breast architecture free of cysts, nodules and cancer.

What if you are already taking thyroid hormone and you are not supplementing with iodine? It is ne er too late to have your iodine levels tested. Keep in mind that the thyroid gland often improves its' function when iodine deficiency is rectified. Therefore, if you are already taking thyroid hormone, starting iodine supplementation may require you to lower your dose of thyroid hormone. An iodine-knowledgeable health care provider can help you with this.

Folks, iodine deficiency is occurring at epidemic rates. I (along with my partners) have tested over 6,000 patients for their iodine status. I can unequivocally state that iodine deficiency is alive and well in the 21st Century as over 96% of my patients have tested for iodine deficiency—the vast majority significantly deficient.

The original JAMA article did not distinguish between which brands of thyroid hormone were taken. I do not feel it would matter which thyroid hormone prescription was taken as all supplemental thyroid hormones—both natural and synthetic forms—increase the body's metabolic needs for more iodine.

More information about this can be found in the latest edition (5th) my book, Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It.

JAMA. 9.6.1976. Vol. 236, N. 10. 1124

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2017
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC39030...

Hypothyroidism After a Cancer Diagnosis: Etiology, Diagnosis, Complications, and Management

https://www.thyroid.org/patient-thyroid-informatio...

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-there-a-link...

Is there a link between thyroid disease and breast cancer?

"In an effort to determine whether having an overactive or underactive thyroid affects a woman's risk of breast cancer, researchers looked at a large group of women in Denmark diagnosed with thyroid disease between 1978 and 2013. More than 60,000 of the study participants had an underactive thyroid, and more than 80,000 had an overactive thyroid. They followed the patients for five to seven years and found that those with an overactive thyroid had a slightly increased risk of breast cancer — an 11% higher risk, to be specific. However, women with an underactive thyroid had a 6% drop in their breast cancer risk."

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2017
    Options

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC39762...

Consequences of excess iodine

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.137.../journal.pone.0173722

Effect of excess iodine intake on thyroid diseases in different populations: A systematic review and meta-analyses including observational studies

• marijen
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks for all the links CP, I'll check them out.

• marijen
    edited June 2017
    Options

CP 418 not sure what you want me find in these links. My post was about LEvothyroxine (thyroid hormone) and increased breast cancer.