Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• hlth4513
    hlth4513 Member Posts: 161
    edited February 2011
    Options

Sprintime-

Good to know. If my numbers don't go up this time - maybe I will double my ATP co-factors.

Thanks!

Beth

• lucy88
    lucy88 Member Posts: 100
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hey, I just came across this iodine info slide show on my computer. I don't know whether I got it from here or not, but it seems to be about Dr. Brownstein's and Dr. Flechas' presentation. The Fibromyalgia Organization put it together but there is stuff on breast cancer.

http://www.fibromyalgiarecovery.com/IODINE%20-%20Solution%20to%20health%20problems.pdf

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited March 2011
    Options

Lucy88 thank you for the link. It was really informative to say the least!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011
    Options

Designer Mom, I am out of town (so my bottles are not with me) but I am taking I think 1 selenium per day (I think it is 100mg but not sure?)  magnesium, I take 2 per day, one am, one pm, I think they are both 250mg. 

Don't give up. It took me over a year to figure out what worked for me. Finally on my third test I got good news. :)  I was in the 50's for my first two tests. 

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited March 2011
    Options

Springtime-  Thanks for the tips.  Is that your horse?  I grew up on horses, miss them too!

• DesignerMom
    edited March 2011
    Options

bump for newbies

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited March 2011
    Options

Anyone know how iodine and ACE inhibitors do together?  I have high blood pressure to start with, am on an ACE inhibitor, for which I'm told not to take potassium since that med trends toward increasing potassium levels.  My iodine supplement is called "potassium iodide/iodine" . . . which makes me wonder about the potassium part.  Anyone know?  I know for a fact that my doctor cannot tell me.

• mathteacher
    mathteacher Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2011
    Options

There's only enough potassium for the iodine/iodide to bind to the molecule. It's not a true potassium supplement, it's an iodine supplement.

Just like calcium d glucarate is not a calcium supplement. The calcium gives the d glucarate something to stick to.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2011
    Options

I think that slide presentation is a little bit... ummm.. can't find the word.

- First it says that iodine defficiency is the cause of thyroid autoimmune disorders. If someone makes that statement and is able to prove it with sturdy studies, that person will get a Nobel Prize for sure, as nobody right now knows what exactly causes autoimmune diseases in general, and thyroid autoimmune disease in particular.

- It jumps a little all over the place about hyperthyroid, saying at one point that it is cause by iodine deficiency (???? thyroid needs iodine to make thyroid hormone, if there is already too much thyroid hormone, how can that personhave a iodine defficiency?). And it seems to forget that hyperthyroid  in Graves Disease can also have a goiter - for different reasons than hypothyroid.

- Then it says that hyperthyroid people should check with their doctors.

- Then it says that hypothyroid people who are taking the Iodoral will observe their free T4 levels increase substantially and not need thyroid supplements anymore. So, what happens to hyperthyroid people who already have free T4 levels out the roof? what about Graves Eye Disease? the dangers are never presented and only people who had to have their eye sockets broken and removed so their eyes could still fit in their head and not fall on their cheeks can tell you about. No, it's not a joke, severe proptosis is one of the effects in Graves Eye Disease.

- Funny part came when it presented the "detoxification symptoms" - whoa, baby, talk about a hyperthyroid symptoms checklist.

- Chloride (salt) increases renal clearance of bromide. It increases blood pressure and renal insufficiency too!

- I would realy appreciate some links for studies that have shown the connection between iodine defficiency and fibrocystic breast disease.

My conclusion, please, ladies, do not jump on the iodine boat until after you have your thyroid levels checked, especially if you take estrogen-suppressing medication. Iodine can be of tremendous help for hypothyroid ladies, but can be very dangerous if you are hyperthyroid.

• asschercut
    asschercut Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2011
    Options

Speaking of iodine...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-quake-japan-iaea-iodine-idUSTRE72B2GI20110312

I'm watching in horror and heartache for the people of Japan...and any foreigners that may have been caught up in this catastrophe. Extremely sad to see so many lives lost.

Victoria

• chillipadi
    chillipadi Member Posts: 38
    edited March 2011
    Options

According to an ABC News story, more than 6,000 cases of childhood thyroid cancer were recorded after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in 1985. It was determined that if the children had taken stable iodine before the disaster, it would have significantly protected them against radiation exposure.

Japanese authorities have informed the International Atomic Energy Agency that they are  preparing to distribute iodine to residents living around the stricken nuclear plants. What's even more interesting is that both the US and France have announced that they are ready to distribute stable potassium iodine to children living in the vicinity of the Japanese nuclear plants in the event of a catastrophic radiation release. You can read the full ABC News story here: http://abcnews.go.com/International/japan-fukushima-nuclear-power-plant-explosion-workers-injured-radiation/story?id=13120888 

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    edited March 2011
    Options

I haven't read all 40 pages.

But, add me to the list of hypothyroid with BC.  Both my parents have low thyroid, and several other people in my family.  I'm the only one with BC though.

I take Synthroid and Armour Thyroid to equal a 96-98 T4 to 2-4% T3 ratio.  Armour saved my life...when it was added brain fog, weight gain, all of it FINALLY went away.

8 years after thyroid quit, breast cancer.  Ugh.

• mathteacher
    mathteacher Member Posts: 52
    edited March 2011
    Options

Youtube on how to take iodine to avoid fallout from Japanese radiation explosion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lKXniRCo5E

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2011
    Options

Isnt' that fascinating? Iodine protecting tyroid when exposed to radiation. I heard on the news tonight that in Chernobyl, in Russia, many ppl had issues with thyroid.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2011
    Options

And in many other countries. I was in Romania at the time, and even if the cloud didn't pass directly above our country, the government issued iodine pills for everybody nevertheless.

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2011
    Options

Question about Iodoral.

How come we can only order it online?

I have been to just about all the healthfood shops in Sarasota and not one has Iodoral. I don't buy online because I hate using my visa over the internet.

• hlth4513
    edited March 2011
    Options

painterly-

I live in Sarasota and you can get it at Family Pharmacy at Beneva and Webber. They also have all of Dr. Brownstein's books.

Beth

• painterly
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Beth!Cool

Glenis

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2011
    Options

All the iodine has been sold out at our local Vitamin Cottage, Whole Foods, and Pharmaca--clerks say it's because of the protective benefits to the thyroid. Saturate it with iodine, and the radioactive particles cannot lodge there, as per above.

I was going to get some Lugol's to paint onto my new scars, as I've read there is some healing benefit to avoid hypertrophy. Better hit up Amazon before it's all gone or the prices sky-rocket!

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 106
    edited March 2011
    Options

Like so many here ...   I've had thyroid issues .. dating back 20 years ..  HOWEVER, I ended up with thyroid cancer ..  a total thyroidectomy, along with radium treatments in the hospital to kill any and all thyroid issue .. and have been on  synthroid for years, varied doses depending on my blood work...

Fast forward 20 years, now Breast Cancer !   Association between the two cancers - I say yes.

Strength and Courage to all.  :D

Vicki Sam

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2011
    Options

eveberry,

Just thinking about you, and hoping things are going well with you. 

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks Kira...you're sweet! I'm ok. I got a call from my doctor secretary this morning. I have a post op appointment Thursday morning at 7 a.m. I asked for the results this morning, but she said the surgeon would talk to me Thursday morning. I hate waiting. My mind goes everywhere. Since the stiches are in a completely different part of the breast (not in the areas of the tumor), I wonder if they took out tissue in the wrong place? I don't know how to feel. My bs does so many lumpectomies that I feel like one in a million. Next week when I have more time, I'm calling an oncologist. I have so many questions. I don't feel the surgeon has the time to answer them. I need an advocate...someone who fights for me. I learned though all this that it's hard standing against the establishment without a medical advisor standing by your side. I just need to find someone who will listen to me, and who supports holistic alternative medicine.

Thursday and Friday happens to be busy days for me...don't know if I'll post until the weekend...so may not give results here until Saturday. I have this gut feeling...something is wrong...just not right. I don't think it's all me either. Just got a call that the appointment is at 9:45 Thursday morning..means missing work Thursday morning :(

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited March 2011
    Options

evebarry, glad to know your surgery is behind you, and I hope you get the answers and support you need.

I wanted to share something I just read about iodine, vis-a-vis the nuclear disaster unfolding in Japan:  http://www.pharmpro.com/news/2011/03/newsletter-Japan-Crisis-Spikes-Demand-for-Radiation-Pills/?et_cid=1274298&et_rid=60911705&linkid=http%3a%2f%2fwww.pharmpro.com%2fnews%2f2011%2f03%2fnewsletter-Japan-Crisis-Spikes-Demand-for-Radiation-Pills%2f

Coincidentally, I ran out of Iodoral a couple of days ago, and when I went to buy it on-line last night, I was shocked to see prices up to $150 a bottle!  Talk about price gouging!  Then I hesitated to buy it on-line this time, wondering if someone might be unscrupulous enough to come up with counterfeit product.     Deanna 

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2011
    Options

Deanna,  yesterday, ordered my usual Ioderal from Amazon and the price was the same. So you might try to order from them. I also took the precaution of sending a large bottle to my daughter who lives on the West Coast.

My friend in Japan, who is not a complainer, has said how difficult it is because there are aftershocks every day and stores are without rice, toilet paper, and basics.  My heart goes out to the Japanese people. 

• DesignerMom
    edited March 2011
    Options

Deanna-  I can't believe people would be opportunistic during this disaster and price gouge people for Iodine.  I'd like to get them in a dark alley and give them a piece of my mind!  I know breastcancerchoices.org still has the best prices I could find on Iodoral.  The proceeds go to fund their non profit.  Their old shopping cart was a bit weird, but they just launched their new one and it is much more user friendly.  They, too have sold out of Iodoral because of Japan, but are expecting to be in stock shortly.  I have talked with them on other matters during the past and they seem to be very dedicated and ethical.  Here's the direct link to their shop.

http://breastcancerchoices.org/order.html  Sorry, my linky thing won't work, you'll have to copy and paste.

• hlth4513
    edited March 2011
    Options

Deanna-

Availability of Iodoral has been a big topic on the IOdine Yahoo group. SOmeone just posted that this clinic has stock. Good Luck!

Pine Street Clinic in San Anselmo, CA has Iodoral in stock.
    http://pinestreetclinic.com/?p=747

http://pinestreetfoundation.org/

Beth

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2011
    Options

Well price gouging seems to be the case. I went back to Amazon this morning and the one source for Ioderol that has anything in stock is charging $100 for the same formula for which I paid $33 a few days ago!  I'm lucky I was starting to run out and just re-ordered early.

• painterly
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Beth,

Did you do the iodine loading test? Just wondering.

Family Pharmacy out of stock at the moment and are expecting a shipment soon.

Funny, I was thinking I wouldn't bother with the iodine since my thyroid is normal and then when I thought, heck I may as well, suddenly there was a big rush on iodine due to what is happening in Japan.

• hlth4513
    edited March 2011
    Options

Painterly-

I have done the test several times. I didn't realize the importance of doing the bromide test until recently. The last time was the first time I did both the bromide and iodine. IMO it is not worth it to only test the iodine - wish I had known that to start out - I would have been more aggressive a few years ago when I started the Iodine protocol if I had known I had such high bromides.

Good Luck getting your Iodoral!

Beth

• painterly
    edited March 2011
    Options

Thanks for the tip BETH,

I am probably high in bromides too since I swim in a chlorinated pool. I had no idea that chlorine depletes iodine levels in the body which has prompted me to think more seriously about taking iodoral.

Glenis