Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Iodine, thyroid, and breast cancer??

Options

Comments

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675
    edited October 2011
    Options

Vivre, you might be able to help me here. I'm been wondering the reason why younger women are more apt to be dx with more aggressive cancers is due to that their thyroid are normal, where those who have gone through menapause, or pre menapause or more apt to be hypothyroid and for this reason have less aggressive or slower moving cancers? 

The idea came to me that perhaps taking thyroid meds maybe speeding up my body's circulation, and therefore speeding the rate of cancer growth causing me to have now a more aggressive cancer.

I'm tempted to stop m y thyroid meds for awhile fearing that they maybe aiding the now more agressive cancer in me. I do fear that my upcoming surgery, my blood pressure will be too low. Even with thyroid meds I have low blood pressure. I am taking idoral iodine daily.  

Do I sound ridiculous? Crazy thoughts rambling through my head right now :)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011
    Options

I do the Iodine protocol and I reached 90% saturated after a few consults with Dr. Flechas and upping the ATP cofactors, magnesium, and Vit C.

However, I need a lot more thyroid medicine than I used to. I asked Dr. Flechas about this, and while sometimes it does adjust, sometimes it doesn't. He said to keep having it checked and adjusted, which I do. 

I have both of my daughters on 25mg a day of Iodoral (and ATP cofactors) as a preventataive for BC and for overall breast health as Vivre mentions, per Dr. Flechas' recommendation. I don't know if they take it all the time, (I do buy it for them!) and my older one told me she feels better when she does.

• vivre
    vivre Member Posts: 881
    edited October 2011
    Options

Eveberry-Maybe Dr. Brownstein's office can recommend a really good thyroid doc in your area. I know they are hard to find. The thyroid is so intricate, and as we all know, we are all different so it is hard to find a doc who has the time to deal with it. Have you read his book, Overcoming Thyroid Disorders? I learned a lot from this book.

• Hindsfeet
    edited October 2011
    Options

Vivre, I own his book, read it. I have a good naturalpath, who is up on him and all. She is pretty aware. She is trying to figure out my particular situation which seems to be out of the norm for most of her patients.

• Commett1
    Commett1 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    Options

I felt horrible for about a year. Took a lot of sick leave and was always tired and suffering migraines and just plain itchy, dried up and annoyed. My doctor would not listen to me and I was finally diognosed by a different doctor with hypothyroidism. I was given levothroid and when that was not helping I saw another doctor who put me on arm and hammer thyroid tablets. Then a few moths later I was dx with bc. Until I saw this site and read some posts I thought I was alone in thinking that the two conditions were connected somehow.

What is the iodine you all take and where do you get it? 

• Hindsfeet
    edited November 2011
    Options

Comment... You might want to purchase Dr. Brownstein's book on iodine. I have a few books, I would loan you if I could get them to you. There is another website that talks a lot about this on breastcancerchoices. There is a lot of support and help there for those suffering from iodine problems.

It's been a little over 3 years since I discovered I'm hypothyroid. My tsh, t3, t4 are all low. My naturalpath is scratching her head in to why it's hard to stablize the numbers. What is strange is I don't have hypothyroid symptoms. I'm on the thin side, hair is thick, oily skin and etc...no fatigue. I tire most people out. Oh, I also have been dx with hashiminto...thyroid antibodies. Recently, I went to another naturalpath. After looking at me he said, you are not hypothyroid. After a general checkup he said my immune system and adrentals gland are exhausted, which in turns effects my thyroid. He also said he can't figure out why my t4 isn't making t3's in the liver. Hmm...I also learned that the liver is where the t4 makes the t3. I also learned that b-12 is stored in the liver. If we don't have enough b-12 then the t4 isn't going to make the t3's we need. Pulling all this together, I'm getting the picture that my problem yes, may be adrenals, but also a liver problem.

So...be careful and don't assume your problem is the same as someone else who posts here. Understanding the thryoid is very complex. Make sure you have a good doctor who checks your t3's, t4' and tsh...and checks your liver, vitamin b-12 levels.

Along with that I was told by the recent np that it all begins in the stomach and colen. We have to get that healthy before addressing why our organs are not function to the max.

Perhaps to why our bodies break down is not just one organ failing rather it's a domino effect.

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited December 2011
    Options

I have an update after being on the iodine protocol for nearly 3 years now.  My fatigue at least ebbs and flows these days, but it seems to always get worse in the winter, and my ass is dragging once again.  

I decided to try one more time to find someone in my city who's worth even a copay when it comes to the topic of thyroids.  From doing my homework, I know I'm hypothyroid and I'd like to try naturethroid.  Not one single pharmacy in town stocks it, but I did find three osteopaths who prescribe armour. 

So I made an appointment to see an osteopath. In the past, I've encountered hurdles just in getting someone to notice my hypothyroid symptoms.  So I went in literally armed with five books, each describing hypothyroid symptoms.  To my surprise, the osteopath agreed with me that I'm hypothyroid with me without have to foist a single book upon him.  He offered me synthroid.  I expressed interest in naturethroid, something not synthetic.  He countered by offering armour.  That's a step in the right direction, but still not what I wanted.  Again, I said I'd prefer naturethroid. 

He said he doesn't know anything about naturethroid and he's not comfortable prescribing it.  I suggested he could read something about naturethroid so that he does know something about it.  The wall was official at that point.  He said he prescribes synthroid and armour and he's satisfied with what he offers.  In my mind I'm hearing a translation that I've heard numerous times from medical professionals:  "I dont' know anything about what you're saying and I"m going to make sure I STAY that way!"  Instead I said I wasn't comfortable accepting what he has to offer and left.  He at least had the decency to not charge me.   

Naturethroid has been around since 1934 without any history of a recall.  I know from reading the iodine list that armour reformulated their product 2 years ago and a lot of people who did just fine weren't feeling so great anymore.  Many of them switched to naturethroid and felt the way armour used to make them feel.  

I found one more name that looked promising -- a nurse practitioner with holistic training.  In Texas naturopaths can't write prescriptions, but nurse practitioners can.  I went to see the nurse p yesterday, again armed with the five books plus information about naturethroid this time, including the name and phone number of a pharmacy in AZ where I can order it.

I now have a prescription for naturethroid in the mail to me as I type!  woo hoo!  If I start taking it and *still* feel tired like I do now, I'll be hugely disappointed.  I can hardly wait for it to get here. 

• vivre
    edited December 2011
    Options

Althea, it certainly is a challenge finding a good thyroid doc. FYI, I read on they iodine group that armour has gone back to their old fornula after lots of complaints. I think they had trouble getting a specific ingredient and used a substitute that people reacted to.

Evebarry-According to the iodine group, one cannot heal the thyroid without healing the adrenals first, as you have found out. This is why iodine did not help you. It certainly is a personal thing that takes a lot of due diligence to understand and a lot of trial and errror. I am constantly making adjustments. I hope you have a doctor who at last, can help you.

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2011
    Options

My integrative doctor is prescribing iodine for me which is beneficial to prevent bc recurrance.  Also talked about switching me from synthroid to naturethroid.  He will do this after I transition to the other meds he is giving me, since I am tolerating the synthroid well.

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited December 2011
    Options

Don't thyroid hormones cause breast cancer? I found a few articles that suggest they do. I'll see if I can find them again.

• impositive
    impositive Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2011
    Options

Oh geez...I hope not because I am taking Armor.  I had symptoms of hypothyroid for YEARS.  Only after my bc did I finally get a diagnosis. 

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • impositive
    edited December 2011
    Options

Thanks for the article, susieq.  It's very well written and makes some good points.  The studies they refer to were using Synthroid (a synthetic), not Armour (natural). I wonder if, like synthetic homones vs bio-identical hormones, this makes a difference.  I have had the script and keep going back and forth about taking it but decided to proceed recently when the doc treating me with the vitamin therapy encouraged it.  I want my body to begin making hormones again and I fear that in replacing them my body will be lazy and not make them.  Thyroid hormones are prescribed for the symptoms anyway...not the cause, so even though I have been taking them on and off, it really goes against what I am trying to accomplish, which is healing.  I do take my iodine everyday so hopefully, I will eventually heal. 

• althea
    althea Member Posts: 506
    edited December 2011
    Options

vivre, thank you for that update on about armour going back to their previous formula.  I'm sort of glad I didn't know that last week or I would have accepted the armour prescription from my physician encounter of the third kind.  I kept looking and found a holistic nurse practitioner.  

impositive, I noticed too in that article that synthroid was used in the study.  In addition to being synthetic, it is T4 only.  The thyroid ultimately needs to convert T4 into T3 to make hormones.  For anyone making poor conversions, synthroid will not be helpful.  ...and after reading the article susieq mentioned, synthroid appears to be carcinogenic too?  I am SO glad I know about armour and naturethroid.  I've been taking naturethroid since sunday.  I have major housecleaning to do, and I'm here procrastinating, so I hope I'll be up to the task. 
  • stage1
    stage1 Member Posts: 285
    edited December 2011
    Options

Susieq, thanks for the article, I have forwarded to my Doctor, as I want to ask him about my levithyroid.

• Kaara
    edited December 2011
    Options

susieq58:  OK...I read the article but it didn't really specify that synthroid was the cause of the cancer.  It seemed to suggest that women who were deficient in iodine and taking thyroid hormones were getting cancer at a higher rate.  So...was it the thyroid hormone, or the fact that the women were deficient in iodine that caused the cancer increase?  All in how you read it I guess.  I've had thyroid problems for years that went undiagnosed, and even when discovered, I was on the wrong medication.  My bioidentical doctor last year pointed out that synthroid alone was not helping me because I needed a stimulating hormone, so he added cytomel, and my symptoms immediately got better.  The endocronologist I was seeing didn't pick up on that...unbelieveable!

This just puts one more nail in the conventional medicine coffin for me....it seems that every drug I've been prescribed over my adult lifetime is now causing me to have bc!  Now I'm supposed to let these same doctors give me chemo and radiation to cure the cancer that I now have from taking all these other drugs that were prescribed.  No thanks!

Fortunately, I'm now taking iodine, prescribed by my new integrative physician who believes it might offer me some protection from bc recurrance.  I'm on an anti cancer diet and supplementation program designed to boost my immune system so that it can fight off disease on its own.  Every time I read one of these articles, I become more comfortable with that decision. 

• crabbiepattie
    crabbiepattie Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Options

Kaara - how much iodine are you taking?  I've slowly increased my dosage to 25 mg; I may go back to 12.5 mg.

• Kaara
    edited December 2011
    Options

crabbiepattie:  I'm taking 25 mg. daily...it is what he started me out on.  I've only been taking it for about a week.  Is there some reason for you to decrease your doseage?

• crabbiepattie
    crabbiepattie Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    Options

Hi Kaara, The only reason I'd reduce the dosage is that it would be convenient to take one 12.5 mg tablet a day.  I have Dr. Derry's book and need to see what dosage of iodine he recommended. I know Dr. Brownstein recommends at least 50 mg and recommends urine testing to check your level. I'm not up for testing yet, if ever.

• Kaara
    edited December 2011
    Options

I take two 12.5 mg in the morning.  I also still take my synthroid and cytomel although he wants to switch me to naturethroid after the first of the year.  For the first time in a long time I feel like I'm seeing a doctor that has a genuine interest in my well being.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2011
    Options

I take 50mg a day and I did the iodine loading testing. It took a while to figure out the companion nutrients in order to get the absorbtion right. When you do the Iodine loading test you get a free 15 minute consultation with Dr. Flechas. I found that very helpful. For instance, he suggested that my daughters take 25mg of Iodoral propholactically. You can find info at breastcancerchoices.org in case interested. 

I also take a dessecrated thyroid called NatureThroid. Previously I took Synthroid and I like this much better.  

• vivre
    edited December 2011
    Options

breastcancerchoices will be doing free iodine loading tests next month to bc survivors. I am looking forward to their latest results.

Kaara, it sounds like you have a great doctor. Lucky you!

• Kaara
    edited December 2011
    Options

Vivre:  He's got me on a good supplementation program, plus vitamin infusions, plus a prescribed drug, Naltrexone, which is showing great success with MS, HIV, and cancer.  Has also done urine and blood work to check what else might be lurking in my body to cause havoc.  I'll let you know my progress.

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited January 2012
    Options

Breastcancerchoices doing free iodine loading tests....hmmmm.  I wonder if this is part of a real clinical trial or just another test-for-deficiency-at-my-lab-and-then-buy-my-supplements scam. I also have to wonder why these iodine loading tests seem to only be supported by the same circle of peddlers.

IMHO, breastcancerchoices is a thinly-veiled shill site for dubious, unscientific, and unsupported quackery.  Of course there are some people here who are recommend them as a resource, but I'm not among them.  Breastcancerchoices heavily promotes the advice (and also the products/services) of the likes of Jorge Flechas, David Brownstein, FFP Labs, Doctor's Data Labs, etc.  It's easy enough to do some quick research on these so-called experts.

I'd personally be leery of the advice of doctors whose medical licenses have been sanctioned or suspended, even temporarily, for clinical competency concerns.  Same for doctors who routinely promote treatment that goes against evidence-based standards.  There's usually a reason, and again,in my opinion, it's not a "Big Pharma" or FDA conspiracy.  

As just one example, here is the North Carolina Medical Board Public Action Consent  Order for  Jorge Flechas. Caveat emptor. 

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited January 2012
    Options

thenewme

Thank you for this information; I have been cooking with seaweed however I was reluctant to follow Dr. Flechas protocol.  It just sounded like an infomercial. I follow all your pots with interest.

• thenewme
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Gentianviolet, you're very welcome!  I think it's soooo important to try to provide some balance so that we can make choices based on reality and not fantasy.

I haven't been successful in cooking with seaweed - I just haven't found a way to incorporate it that I can stomach.  For me, it's just .... for lack of a better word...yucky, LOL!  

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2012
    Options

thenewme

I really don't like seaweed either however my SIL is Korean and a wonderful cook.  I love her recipes but can not seem to duplicate them.  So now I take kombu and use it in every soup and stew that I make.......the flavor is very mild, and mild enough that not only is the broth excellent tasting but the kombu itself is tasty and edible.  You might give it a try if you are looking for a bit more natural iodine.  Thanks again for your relevant posts.

• impositive
    edited January 2012
    Options

thenewme...are you saying you dont believe in iodine theory and that it is unscientific?  Some very caring doctors have been pushed out of the medical profession because they didn't adhere to the status quo.  We have cancer in which there has been no cure found, according to your "evidence based theories".  I am thankful to those who have stepped outside of those "evidence based treatments" (that do not cure) to try and find something better for us than the standard protocol of surgery, chemo and rads. 

• thenewme
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Gentianviolet,

Do you use frozen or dried kombu?  I've tried the frozen kind in soup and haven't been happy with the texture of it - do you chop it up super fine or something?  That's what I'm planning to try next time, in just a small bit of the soup (just in case, LOL!).

Impositive, no...I'm not saying I don't believe in "the iodine theory," whatever that is, or that it's unscientific.  What I am saying is that anyone who says iodine is the magic bullet that cures/prevents cancer is full o' kelp. I'm also saying that "caring" is important for a doctor, but "competence" is much more critical, in my opinion.  A doctor can be the most caring person in the world, but that doesn't mean squat if they charge me $12,000 out of pocket for the first 20 days of an unproven/DISproven treatment for my cancer, and make ridiculous, unscientific, and unsupportable claims related to my life-threatening disease and then laugh all the way to the bank. 

Make no mistake, I'm all for research to find better treatment treatment options than we currently have available.  However, I guaran-damn-tee I won't be first in line when a janitor offers me a money-back guarantee that his bleach-ammonia mop water will cure my cancer.  For a price.

• gentianviolet
    edited January 2012
    Options

thenewme  

I use the dried kombu.  I use to cut it up in small pieces until I realized my DH was trying to eat around the pieces, so now I do not cut it up.   First I rinse it well (it will soften as you rinse it) and just throw a handful into the simmering soup, stew, pot roast.....any food I am cooking for awhile with a liquid base.  The simmering process makes it soft enough to cut with a fork and eat if one chooses.  I have never tried the frozen, didn't even know there was such a product.