Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

NEW Oncotype Dx Roll Call Thread

Options

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited April 2011
    Options

My score was 17-11% chance of recurrance. A micromet in one of 4 nodes. Had a lump with reexcision. No chemo, no AI's.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2011
    Options
    BarbaraA:  I just got my report and I'm still deciphering it.  Your score is 1 point different than mine so they're pretty comparable.  So, you are taking Tamoxifen rather than AI, right?
  • Valgirl
    Valgirl Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2011
    Options

My oncotype score was 16.  Lumpectomy, left breast, 30 IMRT Rads, No chemo, I am Post menopausal,   Arimidex for 5 years.

• barbaraa
    edited April 2011
    Options

No, I am post menopausal and am osteopenic with stroke running in my family along with heart problems so I am lowering my estrogen naturally with supplements and diet.,

• tinat
    edited April 2011
    Options
    BarbaraA:  I am also osteopenic on my baseline DEXA scan so will have to be closely monitored while on the Arimidex.  I have a history of phlebitis so no Tamoxifen for me.  Your Oncotype DX is 17 with 11% recurrence, but that 11% prediction is with 5 years of Tamoxifen, right?  Sorry, still trying to decipher all the numbers on this report Undecided 
  • barbaraa
    edited April 2011
    Options

I consider that lowering  my estrogen is the same effect as an AI so that is how I view it.

• sweetcorn
    sweetcorn Member Posts: 96
    edited April 2011
    Options

My Oncotype score is 28 with an 18% chance of recurrence.  I'm having 4-6 rounds of Cytoxan/Abraxane.  Day 1 is Cytoxan/Abraxane and Day 8 and Day 15 is just Abraxane.  Then a week off.

jane

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    edited April 2011
    Options

sweetcorn...

How did you get approved for Abraxane? I asked about using it instead of Taxotere since it doesn't have the Cremphor stuff that may be causing more side effects. My Onc said it wasn't approved yet to use for adjuvant therapy, only later stages.  Maybe they have changed that now? It is supposed to be much easier to tolerate.

Lee

• sweetcorn
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi, Lee,

When my onc said I would be getting the Abraxane, I didn't think too much of it, until I started reading these boards.  I haven't heard that the insurance will not cover it, so I am going by faith.  My employer's benefits coordinator said that if there was any trouble, she would take care of it.  I have had two treatments so far with one next week then a week off.  The side effects have been minimal so far, dry mouth mostly.  My treatment was at one on Wednesday.  Went over from work for my bloodwork, then the treatment, then came back to work!  I'm a little tired today though.

Jane

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Jane,

Hopefully you won't have to worry about insurance issues. The important thing is you're getting Abraxane which really is suppose to have less SE's than the other taxanes and that's a huge plus.  Remember to take of yourself and don't try to work too much if you find you need the rest!

Lee

• sweetcorn
    edited April 2011
    Options

Lee,  I will try to rest as needed.  I'm wondering if the SE are going to cumulative, something to ask the doctor when I see him on May 4.  This is Day 13 of my cycle and I still have hair, although it is "lifeless."  I'm using the very lightest of hair products so it has some body.  Thinking about getting it trimmed up today, but what if it all comes out tomorrow!

Guess it will happen when it happens.  Have wig, ready to wear....

Jane

• adangel
    adangel Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi, just found this site.  Oncotype DX 29, 19% reoccurance rate with hormone therapy only.  Had LMP and SNB - all nodes clear.  Decided on chemo - 6 times FEC-T (UK protocol akin to FAC/CAF plus T in the US).  Radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen.  Been through 2 cycles of chemo so far - coping well.  Tried the cold cap, but no success.  I've gone Emma Watson short, but am still losing hair.  Bought a gorgeous wig - now I just have to get used to wearing it.

Nice to meet you all.

• marlenet
    marlenet Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2011
    Options

Wishing everyone's  treatments go well!

I remember well-I had very little trouble with treatments.  I had 4- tx of T & C.   I was able to work the entire time.  Lost my hair!  It came back so nice though!  I had straight hair pre-cancer and now it is curly and , well beautiful!  I just love it!  

• kittymama
    kittymama Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oncotype score 8.  Age 46. MX, radiation, 5 years Tamoxifen.

• tinat
    edited May 2011
    Options
    kittymama:  Excellent!!!  No "intermediate" range for you!
  • Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2011
    Options

Onco score 23 with 14% recurrance rate.  Decided against chemo because the benefit would be so little.  Lump-SNB no node involvment, and rads. Tamoxifen 5 years and upcoming MX due to nerve damage from Lump and rads.

• catbill
    catbill Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011
    Options

My Oncotype was 8 with 6% recurrance rate.  I had BMX, no rads, no chemo, Arimidex for 5 years.  I was offered a lumpectomy w/rads, but I knew I would worry too much.  Off they both went, now with reconstruction.  I just got new "nips" with tattooing soon.

• Robyn_S
    Robyn_S Member Posts: 25
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi all and thank you for some very interesting posts! I had an oncotest dx test done at lumpectomy/excisional biopsy which found a 8.9 cm grade 1 ILC tumor in March after 2 inconclusive a biopsy attempts. Before the BMX I had breadt MRI which cleared the non cancer side but decided to proceed with the PMX as ILC is a high risk for contralateral cancer.

The oncotest score was low 10. Which generally precludes the that chemo will not benefit me. But considering the large tumor size, node met 1 out of 5, premenopausal and 46 years old and not doing an axillary clearance the chemo opts as a good insurance policy. I am doing FEC-T and using a fasting regimen to minimize SEs and damage to healthy cells, eating healthily and avoiding infections by being careful and so far so good after 2TX I recover well and feel fine after a day or so.

The adjuvant online indicated a 7% benefit over hormone therapy alone which is persuasive when weighing up options. Treatment is a very individual decision for each clinical situation and what is an acceptable risk to one may not be to another. After chemo I will have 35 rads and the tamoxifen for 5 years. I want to die of old age in my own bed!

I know of illinoisNancy from the April 11 surgery forum who returned a very low oncotype (9) ILC and is now dealing with a recurrence regretting not doing chemo first time.

My own post surgery pathology found another MRI blind tumor in the cancer side of 1.6 cm and extensive multifocal LCIS in the healthy prophylactic side.

Listening to your deepest instincts can also be a lifesaver!

((HUGS))) and Good luck everyone on your journey!

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2011
    Options

Just want to clarify and ask for input from others.  Oncotype results are not the percentage chance of recurrence it is the percentage chance of mets.  Recurrence and mets are not the same thing.  When someone has a recurrence, it is not mets.  In other words, a low Oncotype means a low chance of mets, has nothing to do with recurrence.  I believe that I am reading the information concerning Oncotype correctly.  Would love to hear from others.

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited May 2011
    Options

Aug - the Oncotype score is a recurrence score...the score is referred to as the RS -or recourrence score. It does not predict metastasis - although undoubtedly some of the women who recurr will do so in distant locations from the breast. It's just the nature of the beast. 

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2011
    Options

Exact information from the Oncotype website:

The results of the Oncotype DX® test are provided as a Recurrence Score® result, a number between 0 and 100. This number corresponds to a specific likelihood that a woman's breast cancer will spread to another area of her body within 10 years of her initial diagnosis. The lower the score is, the lower the chances are that a woman's breast cancer will come back, and the higher the score, the greater the chances that breast cancer will come back.

I believe that the information above means mets although it states recurrence.

• navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited May 2011
    Options

I see your point - reading that quote, I would agree they are talking about mets as opposed to recurrance -which to us means a totally different thing! I was reading about the TaylorRX trial, and from that information it appeared the OncotypeDX was about recurrance - I think we have a case of them using the word out of context for the definition we have of it. Reading your quote, I'd have to agree with your take on it. I know they both suck, but they are not the same!

• CorinneM1
    CorinneM1 Member Posts: 317
    edited July 2011
    Options

Awaiting score.  I met with my oncologist yesterday and she stated that they would send in the sample to on Tuesday and to expect 10 business days from here.  So I expect to hear back mid-late June (around the 20th).  I was hoping to find more information about how to predict, but I will just have to wait.  My recent surgery path report findings are:  er+ 70%, pr+ 90%, HER- 0, ki-67 2%, ILC, Grade1, Stage 1, no nodes, 1.5cm.

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited July 2011
    Options

Clyn: I had 3 consults with 3 oncs. One of them indicated she would recommend chemo no matter what my oncotype score was. she also stated that I'm young, healthy and would be able to tolerate chemo.

My final path bumped me from grade 2-3, tumor from 1.9 to 2.4, no lvi to lvi present. I'm young (46) and premeno. As far as I saw it, too many strikes against me not to opt for chemo. Fwiw I still question tumor size and will have my slides reviewed or whatever I can have done at this point. I think dcis was added in to size which made the tumor larger, this size moved me from stage I to II.

Ironically my oncotype results came back the day I finished my first tx, there was a technical glitch in sending in the sample, but I had already made the decision based on that oncs suggestion.

My oncotype came back at 21 - low/intermediate. At first I questioned my decision to continue chemo. I thought the score would have been higher due to my grade, but path is subjective.

To be honest, it is a very difficult decision to make, but for me, I wish to live life with no regrets. I view chemo as an insurance policy, however, there are no guarantees, but at least I knew I threw everything at it when I was in the best position to do so. I have now finished 2 of 4 TC treatments.

Chemo is not a walk in the park, but it isn't as difficult as I imagined either. I have managed to sail through with very few SEs from chemo, for me pre chemo meds give me more problems than chemo.

Wish you the best in your decision. Making it, embracing it and moving forward is the most difficult part.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    edited July 2011
    Options

I used to be on this list, but no longer see my stats, so if anyone is still updating maybe you can add me back in, my RS score was 18, distant recurrence at 12%.

p.s. Taking my age & pathology into account, I did not do chemo. Taking Tamox.

• coraleliz
    coraleliz Member Posts: 158
    edited July 2011
    Options

Clyn & Corinne, I recently had my oncotest done & it came back sooner than expected. The MOs office sent a inquiry & insurance checked. That took Mon-Thurs. I heard from Genomic health on Thurs telling me the insurance stuff. Then I heard from Genomic health  the following Tues because they recieve 2 tumors & they asked me if I wanted both tumors tested......then I heard fron the MO 2 days later with the results. I was surprised how fast that wait was, One of my shorter waits in this whole process. Hope the 4th holiday doesn't slow things down for you.

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Everything on mine pointed to no chemo and my KI67 was below 10% so that kinda helped me decide not to do chemo.  My score was a 23 and I wwas 48 at diag am now 49

• CorinneM1
    edited July 2011
    Options

I just got my score.  I am low/intermediate with a score of 21.  I have had two conflicting MO recommendations to date.  One stated that with my pathlology report (2%ki67, and strongly er/pr+) that I shouldn't get it.  I have another that wants me to get it starting as early as next week.

I need think about this tonight. 

• Sherryc
    edited July 2011
    Options

Corinne you'r stats sound similar to mine except I am IDC.  I had a score of 23 and my KI67 was less than 10%.  I got two opinions and both said I did not need to do chemo that it would only help 3-4% and that was not worth the side effects I would have from it.  The 2nd opinion I received explained each line of path and why I did not need chemo, when he got to the KI67 he said that if it were over 10% he would have suggested it but because it was under he did not feel I needed it.  My tumor was 1.6cm and I had a grade 1 not sure what your grade is that could make a difference as well. I was 48 at diag, and 49 now.  You might want to get a 3rd opinion since you have one saying one thing and other say someting different. 

• CorinneM1
    edited July 2011
    Options

My path report states that I am grade 1/stage 1.  I am going to get a 3rd opinion. I am a combo of stress, frustration, anger and disappoinment right now.  I really thought that I would have a low score based upon everything in my reports. 

I am angry bc I am grey for both radiation and chemo now.  I had a BMX, with a close margin which they are reviewing and determining whether I need radiation.  Butt this up against an low/intermediate RS and I am just in a fog right now.

Cancer sucks.