Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Options

Comments

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2011
    Options

Linda,

I just finished my 5 years on Armidex.  I never have had problems with my bp prior to taking it.  My bp rose  was slightly elevated while on it but never had to go on any meds for blood pressure.  Give it a try....

Michele

• DENTHOMAS
    DENTHOMAS Member Posts: 27
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I've been on Arimidex for over two years.  I take it in the morning with my bp medicine.  No problems.Laughing
  • lindajbar
    lindajbar Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options

Thanks Ladies for your posts. Took it yesterday for the first time, felt so sick especially last night. Headache, dizzy and nausea. I will check my blood pressure later today. Hopefully it is just my body adjusting to the med.  Glad to hear you are both doing well. 

Linda 

• lindajbar
    lindajbar Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2011
    Options

Bye Bye Armidex. Doctor took me off. b/p just went too high and was feeling soooo sick. We will evaluate in a week. I think they want me to try Aromasin next. Concerned as the Femara and Armidex both gave me the same side effects. I guess I will give it a try and hope for the best!

• meJoy
    meJoy Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2011
    Options

Ruth...thank you. Sometimes I forget. And your post is a good reminder of things we could do to take care of ourselves.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    edited April 2011
    Options

I just bumped one called Vitamins (that I put on the fitness and getting back in shape forum), it's tips from a good speaker I went to this spring, if anyone is interested in that topic.

• 1marmalade1
    1marmalade1 Member Posts: 44
    edited April 2011
    Options

Ruthbru:  I started Arimidex right after chemo - started rads 6 mos. later due to infection in incision site after mastectomy.  I've now been on it a year.  Apart from hot flashes here and there, no complaints except for period foot pain, and what feels like arthritic pain in fingers.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Get good arch supports for the shoes and keep moving the fingers. I don't have arthritis, but here is a home-cure both my mom and aunt swore by: buy white raisins and a bottle of gin. Soak the raisins in the gin in the fridge for two weeks. Then eat six of the raisins every day. It supposedly gives a natural cortisone effect. My mom's fingers were starting to get those arthritis bumps on them & after she did this for awhile they went away. (And if it didn't wore, I suppose one could dump the raisins, drink the gin, and feel better anyway Wink).
  • sandiddstn
    sandiddstn Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2011
    Options

Oh Linda soooo sorry I forgot to mention the dizzy spells and the nausea... chemo brain I guess:(  I am truely sorry.  I had some left over nausea meds and took that...  Hope they can find an Al you can take to ward off this evil beast...the dizziness is almost gone but the nausea still comes around alot...  God Bless you and hope you find something..  If you want to ask for the nausea meds they give to you when you are on chemo while talking Arimidex till your body gets used to it that might help it sure can't hurt huh... worth asking about anyway...

You are in my prayers and thoughts coming your way from east Tennessee...

• amtheater1
    amtheater1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Options

Can you tell me what reports those drs are referring to about the drugs only giving you a 3-5 % decrease in reaccurance?

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    Options

I just looked back in my files, and adding an anti-hormonal dropped my risk of recurrence by 40%. HUGE!!!!!

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi Linda,

I am sorry that you had so much trouble on Arimidex. I have had a lot of issues as well (my joints locked up, especially wrists and hands so much so that I couldn't write, type for 2 weeks), nausea, headaches, increased blood pressure, etc. I sent out a SOS to my onc,whom I saw this past Friday. He told me that 55% of patients who take a 6 week break and go back on the same AI or switch to another AI have success and feel much better. My onc is at a major cancer center in Boston and loves the research side of medicine so I really respect his opinion. 

He also gave me a script for pain pills (no more that 2 a day - I think that i can get by with 1 plus 1 NSAID). I am going to give it one more month and then re-evaluate whether to take a break or switch.

I hope that you and your onc can figure something out that works for you. Good luck! Best, Beau 

• meJoy
    meJoy Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2011
    Options

I dont have the dizzy spells, but I do have the mild nausea and headaches. Nothing I cant put up with. I keep thinking that the Arimidex is doing its job, and keeping me from eating needlessly. Headaches seem to disappear with tylenol. But its also seasonal for me (mold), so not sure if the headaches are allergy or arimidex.

• sandi777
    sandi777 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Options

I started taking Arimidex on March 15, and the only s/e I've noticed is that I am having hot flashes all day long.  I was having hot flashes before.  They started after I was taken off estrogen therapy.  I had been on that for 11 years.  I was 65 at the time and had never had hot flashes or any other symptoms of menopause when I went through menopause at age 54.  I am now almost 75 and continue to have the hot flashes but now more frequently and involving my whole head instead of just my face. But I found a way to cool them down quickly.  Buy a small spritzing bottle and spritz water in your face whenever a hot flash occurs.  This really works!!

• FaithFollower
    FaithFollower Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2011
    Options

I've been on Arimidex for a month and have been  crying for the last 3 weeks.  I've been in bed most of the day completely depressed.  Have had joint problems but that started after rads were finished.  Thinking of giving this stuff up. I hate what my life has become - a series of side effects to manage.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    Options

Are you exercising? If not, give it a try. Helps with both the physical & emotional SEs of the whole deal.

• elmcity69
    elmcity69 Member Posts: 320
    edited April 2011
    Options

yes, i'm with ruth. exercising helps with sore joints and those exercise endorphins help with the PTSD that accompanies this bloody disease!

however, if you have persistent depression, i would find a therapist. perhaps one with experience treating breast cancer patients? sometimes, oncologists know of someone who does.

antidepressants can work wonders on depression - and your onc could write the scrip, if you don't have the wherewithal/time/energy to locate a psychiatrist.

lastly, you do have the option of pitching Arimidex if it's unbearable - your onc should work with you to find a good alternative.

good luck.

hugs.

janyce

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi all, I took Armidex for four years after one year on Tamoxifen

I did have the achy joints and hot flashes ( again after having them

naturally with menopause )and inability to lose weight.

My doctor put me on neurontin for my neuropathy and the hot flashes

vanished. The side effects for me diminished over time but I have to

say the day I finished was a wonderful milestone and the symptoms

mostly went away,

Edited to add I finished up 5 years ago now.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    Options

It does get better. I think most of us go through a post-tramatic stress period, when all of the sudden you have time to deal with the whirlwind you've been on. And it takes time to adjust both emotionally and physically, and to put it all into some sort of perspective that makes sense to you. I'd say, unless the physical SE are really, really awful; that you need to give you body more time than a month to get balanced out (I'd say more like 6 months). Definitely, if the whole thing is overwhelming you; don't be reluctant to ask for help. Most clinics have social workers that can help direct you. Best of Luck!  Ruth

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2011
    Options
     I did really well with the surgery, went home same day as mastectomy. I was determined to keep moving and get as much movement back as possible. I changed to a job that requires walking and movement, the guys are great...I still cannot lift. Yell This was me every morning when I went to get up whether I took it at night or morning, I have RA, back injury, left leg and foot reconstruction and I could tell you where every injury and repair had been done. I needed a walker to get up and move around 2 hours prior to getting ready for work - NSAIDs n pain pills did nothing. I invested in an electric blanket keep in on low, throw it off if I am too hot but it has helped. I went through menopause once and now lets talk sweating and hot flashes, plus I started losing the initial wt gain...pharmacist said as I lose FAT I am releasing stored hormones. I chose Arimidex with the help of my new onc...I was able to get name brand and in reading they said the generic had more side effects. I have had skin changes like dry and flakey and I drink lots of fluid...any ideas? I am now putting nite cream on my hands...ok I know this stuff is going to age me! Ok raisins and gin - I will have to try that.
  • sandi777
    sandi777 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    Options

Is anybody taking SAM-e.  My surgeon just told me about that today.  She said some of her patients have said it tamed their hotflashes.  I also heard about another drug called Strontium for Osteoporosis.  I noticed another thing, my eyebrows are disappearing.  They were at the ends but now the middle is going.  Is this an s/e of Arimidex?  Let me know.

• nancyinaustin
    nancyinaustin Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

ruthbru,

sorry i'm so late to the party

WHEN does the numbness in fingertips/toes go away????  And it itensifies if I'm under high stress (work) or on my feet for an hour or more (grocery shopping),  I've been this way since 4/10, in the midst of chemo.

Legs FINALLY quit itching like poison ivy----thank you God----right breast still red/brown/alligator skin as are few areas on feet----I don't use ANY lotion, 'cause I break out even worse.

No noticeably bad SE's from AI----been on it steady since 10/1/10.  No hot flashes, again thank you God!

But that constant numbness, the chalky thick skin of my feet, never gets better.  And get this---doctor said "elevate your legs" so I fell asleep one night on couch with legs elevated & woke up with one of my killer Nancy nauseated/vomitous headaches.....took 24 hours to get through,never can eat or drink anything during----called onc nurse, she said ok to skip one day of AI (since  I would lose it as soon I took it.)  Oh yes & I took a multi that very morn & threw it up right away.

I have a question----I have a bottle of Vitamin D, 3000 milligrams each (tiny) pill.  First time I took it was b-4 cancer thing, immediately started itching on my neck, quit taking it ever since.  The pill is too tiny to cut in half......if it hasn't expired yet, should I take it??  I don't think I have osteo, pretty strong & active for the most part (of course not enuf exercise).

Being 65 & I guess post-menpausal, I am truly blessed not to have too many health issues.  Only med I do is the AI.....do have some aches & pains.

And.The.Numbness.Will.Never.Go.Away.

Oh yes I almost forgot....socks leggings any snug-fitting pants Dig Trenches In My Legs.  And yet no swollenness in arms or hands?!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2011
    Options

OK, today will be my first dose of Arimidex.  Anyone notice any positive or negatives to taking at night vs morning vs afternoon?

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2011
    Options

When I started taking it about a month ago, I took it in the morning (and still do) so I wouldn't know anything different.

What's really weird is the dry skin that started with my fingertips moved down my fingers to the palms of my hands...then at the same time as the palms my toe tips started peeling...palms cleared up and it moved to the middle and soles of my feet..toes cleared up and now it's just the middle of my feet and my heels.  What I'm getting at, is it's like it moved down my body.  Extremely strange.  Lotion doesn't help at all.  My feet look terrible and it's flip flop weather.

I've started trying to figure out what might cause my hot flashes, but there isn't really any rhyme or reason.  Sugar and beer don't make them worse.  Maybe if I stopped caffeine, but I only drink coffee in the morning and I don't usually start having them until the afternoon.  They are definitely worse than on the Tamoxifen.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2011
    Options

I think the numbness is more of a chemo thing; did you have a taxol? 'cause that is a common SE of them Frown.

I take mine in the morning, (and also bought a little daily pill dispenser so I can remember IF if have taken it or not....another lovely chemo SE!).

• anumacha
    anumacha Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2011
    Options

I now have more white hairs on my head and this is like a bad joke I lost all the hair on my legs above the knees, but the lower leg lets talk it could be braided...I take all my meds at bedtime. It is so I sleep through the side effects of nausea and dizziness.

• Jojo66
    Jojo66 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi TinaT,

I started taking Arimidex on March 7th and after I read some posts on here decided to take in the morning as I was already getting up in the middle of the night. So, far it's been ok except for some achy bones and getting up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

I didn't want to take at night, I value my sleep 

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2011
    Options

Jojo66:  Thanks!  Hopefully my side effects will be minimal.  I like what someone said on one of these threads.  She just tells herself that the drug side effects are a reminder that any nasty leftover cancer cells are being dealt with!

• nwest125
    nwest125 Member Posts: 69
    edited April 2011
    Options

I switched my from night to morning and now I don't feel the joint pains at night as much, I am sleeping much better,  my hands are still swelling at night but going to give it 3 more months.

• Jojo66
    Jojo66 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2011
    Options

Hi TinaT,

Yes, I just keep telling myself, "keep taking that white little pill everyday". Sometimes, it's hard to take a drug that produces SE's but at the same time is saving your life.So, on we go!