Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Options

Comments

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yeah, I think you did tell me about the splints.  And, I think I will blame all my problems on the arimidex - may even make it retroactive to about 2 years ago when I first started noticing the "mental" lapses LOL   Laughing
  • my3girls
    my3girls Member Posts: 1,291
    edited May 2009
    Options

So much to read about all of the Arimidex experiences. I also wonder about all of my s/e's. I don't know if they are related to this AI or not.

I started back in Oct. 08..so 7 months ago. At first not too bad..then by the time 3 months went by..oh my bad, bad joint pain, leg cramps, finger cramps, hard to sleep, but yet tired...barely eating, but yet feeling FAT!! lol. I wanted to go off of it, and my oc said..please give it 3 more months. I have and the cramps and pain did get better. I had to up my Effexor xr though, to help with the depression (I also had a total hysterectomy in Aug) and the hot flashes. I also have memory problems. I can't remember sometimes the simple things. I think too, part of that is the damage chemo did to my brain. The worst part for me is the slight weight gain, but more than that...the inability to LOSE!! I run, power walk, eat really healthy....and nothing!  I feel like I need to give up all carbs, cut out any sugars completely..and only eat once a day to lose any weight!

It's all very fustrating. I am er and pr positive..how is the Arimidex helping my chances of not having a reccurence? If the odds are really low, is all the other unknown damage that worth it? Somebody help me with this. I go see my oc in a few weeks...and I am wondering what I should say to her.

Thanks for your help!

xoxo

Lisa

• patoo
    edited May 2009
    Options

Lisa,

My brain has not been able to process all the information (and my signature explains the rest).  I thought rads was to "prevent" recurrence and the Arimidex was to help kill any orphan cells that may have broken off and travelled to other body parts?  That may be the elementary explanation?  The recurrence is primarily about the same breast or spot?  To me that says it will/may not recur in that spot but can show up elsewhere?  To my mind that would not be recurrence but a new cancer?  Notice all my '?' marks because it's so much to digest and understand.   I admire all the ladies on here who have been able to get into and understand the details of various studies and clinical trials as they are TMI for my brain to get around (and I didn't have chemo!) 

Sigh....

• swimangel72
    swimangel72 Member Posts: 142
    edited May 2009
    Options

Arimidex doesn't kill cancer cells - chemo does that. To my understanding, Arimidex removes the excess estrogen in our bodies through some mechanism. In my case - I'm  post-menopausal - my ovaries are so tiny now - I asked my doctor WHERE is the estrogen coming from? She said the adrenal gland takes the testosterone being produced by the ovaries and with the help of body fat converts it into estrogen. That was the first I ever learned that body fat contributes to estrogen and thus breast cancer and endometrial cancer! So of course, I realize I need to lose all this post-menopausal fat (about 30 pounds) - I had always been thin and in shape until menopause struck. ANYWAY - sorry I don't have a more scientific explanation about how Arimidex works. Here's the link to the Hormone therapy page here at bc.org - from there you can navigate to the information you need:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/

I particularly like this paragraph about the SEs of aromatase inhibitors:

Joint pain from taking an aromatase inhibitor can be troubling. But a 2008 British study suggests that women who experienced joint pain while taking hormonal therapy medicine were less likely to have the breast cancer come back (recur). Knowing that this side effect might indicate a reduced risk of the cancer coming back may help some people stick with treatment despite the side effects.

So while my joints may hurt, I'm happy because I believe that shows the meds are WORKING against the BEAST! Yay!

Here's the link to information about Arimidex:

http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/aromatase_inhibitors/arimidex.jsp

Hope this info helps! Have a wonderful day my sweet sisters! Cool

• patoo
    edited May 2009
    Options

Thanks swimangel172 - it does help altho my brain will probably be back in a few weeks to ask the same question again LOL! 

I guess I wanted to believe my answer because if it doesn't kill the orphan cells (for those of us who didn't have to do chemo) then what happens in 5 years - the estrogen starts producing again?  And if it doesn't kill those same orphan cells, could they still be floating around in my body waiting to breakout again? 

Okay, it's time to make my follow-up with med onc anyway so I better write down questions this time because I'm certainly not going to remember once I'm face-to-face!

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

oh Patto...I am like you....when you said... your brain will be back in a few weeks asking the same questions...I had to laugh! That is me!!

Thanks swimangel..very informative.  For me, since I don't have any ovaries left...how much estrogen am I actually producing? I have gained some weight too, since all of the bc started. But not that much. I am still in decent shape, so my "fat" shouldn't be producing all that much estrogen. Menopause is a nasty way of God "blessing" us with not having to deal with menstrual cycles..haha.

• patoo
    edited May 2009
    Options

My3girls - I also have no ovaries having had a total hyster 13 years ago.  I need to lose about 30 lbs so my "fat" is  producing way more than I need. 

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

well...30 lbs is not that much extra weight.  I would love to lose about 15 or more.

xoxo

Lisa

• Unknown
    edited May 2009
    Options

Question for the group. I started taking Arimidex March 23 and I have noticed that in my yoga class I am having more difficulty with the balancing poses.  Do any of you do yoga and if you do have you noticed problems with the balance poses?

• unique
    unique Member Posts: 209
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hiya - When do Arimidex SE's generally start? I began last week and had all kinds of SEs but maybe they are just do to nervousness about taking it? Sleepy, achy, especially a headache every morning, arm pain. Today I am terrific!!! Cut out sugar from the diet, boo hoo, but think I may feel better if I up the water and nix the sugar. Using Stevia instead.

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

Answering Purple's question.  I don't do yoga..but I can relate to the balance issues. I have never had any problems with it..but sometimes I get up from sitting...and I lose my balance..very strange.

Unique...I noticed my s/e with Arimidex after about 3-4 weeks. But everyone is different. My pain in my joints and bones got really bad after the 2nd month.  My doctor told me to stick it out past the first 3 months, and it would get better.  She was right, it did, I don't experience as "much" pain as before.  I too have headaches just about every morning.  I don't eat allot of sugar..but that's a good idea to get rid of it...not good for cancer anyhow.

Lisa

• Biker54
    Biker54 Member Posts: 1,042
    edited May 2009
    Options

I've been on Arimidex since Oct. '04.  I have a lot of body and joint pain, carpal tunnel and trouble sleeping.  I began sleeping with splints on my wrists and they were a Godsend!  Unfortunately, my achy joints wake me up several times a night and I can't get back to sleep.  I had an unusual SE right when I started taking it.  I got trigger thumb so badly in both thumbs, that they were stuck straight.  I looked like the Fonz for months, lol.  Eventually, I had surgery on both, to release the tendon sheaths.  It's much better now.

Recently, I had my knee replaced.  I have been having a lot of problems bending it.  I finally asked my surgeon if he thought that Arimidex might be hindering my healing and he thought that it might.  It effects the tendons and my knee is really tight and painful.  I only have a few more months taking it, so I guess I'll tough it out.

BTW, I had terrible hot flashes when I first started taking it, but they did eventually calm down.

• vettegal
    vettegal Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies!

Just had hysterectomy 3/23. Dr wants me to switch from Tamox to arimidex...He gave me a pamplet for a free month and I got it filled. Was going to start on June 1st. I am weird like that and like to start at the begining of the month! After reading some of these side effects I am more scared of taking this then tamox. He already told me to start taking vitamins and I went to GNC and got the women balance multivitamin..it had the vit d and calcium he wanted and othe important stuff too.. I took them today and I was doing ok on tamox but had to switch...I already have joint pain...oh well!

• Jan244
    Jan244 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2009
    Options

I've only been on Arimidex for one week but the SE are interesting.  Joint stiffness and aching in legs so when I get up in the A.M., I look like a 99 year old lurching around.  But yesterday when the afternoon rolled around, I was no longer 99 yrs old and there was barely any stiffness/aching.  I went to my grandson's Little League game feeling great but when I got up from the bleachers when the game was over - surprise, surprise - stiff legs so in order to get up the stairs leading to the parking lot, I had to grab onto the banister so I could keep up with the crowd.  Today it's the thumb joints as well as the hips, but I'm walking just fine.  It's an adventure never knowing that part of the body is going to be complaining.  Most of you are taking Arimidex after completing your treatment.  I was started on Zometa and Arimdex last week when diagnosed with bone mets - and this after my initial diagnosis in 1985 and 23+ years cancer-free (or so I thought).  If this is going to work and my mind is busy telling my body that this treatment is going to work, I don't care about SE. I'll see it through no matter what.  I'm sorry to read that others on this med are experiencing similar aches, stiffness, etc., but it is somewhat reassuring to know that what is happening to me is not unusual

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi all ~ I added it up and with my samples my cost is $133.40 a month. Not too bad. Maybe I can get more samples, maybe not, but I can adjust my budget a bit to do that I think.

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

Wow unique..that is how much a month supply of this drug is?? With samples no less?  That's incredible!!

I am fortunated to have good health insurance. I pay $20.00 a month for the Arimidex.

I could not afford it otherwise.

lisa

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

Lisa,

The retail price is $288 per month.

My insurance is pretty good for procedures, but falls down on pharmaceuticals, that's for sure. After a $250 deductible, they pay 50%.

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

Nancy D, bless her heart, sent me a sample pack, so that's 2-1/2 months of samples altogether.

Now I have to find out where I put my dose of Emmend, but I think I should pass that on to someone who needs it. I didn't use it, and it will expire ...

• plakatakr
    plakatakr Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2009
    Options

I didn't realize how lucky I was...my three month co-pay is $25.

• wblibrary
    wblibrary Member Posts: 66
    edited May 2009
    Options

I've been on Arimidex for 3 1/2 months so far.  I just started to really notice all the stiff joints and weight gain this last month or so. I can't seem to stop the food cravings!   I also switched from from the pm schedule my oncologist recommended to the am schedule.  I can live with the daytime hot flashes, but the night ones would literally wake me up!  I too believe am is better.  Anyone know of a study being done on this medication? 

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

I don't know of a study, but I would love to read one. I feel like I don't really need to be on this drug. How much estrogen am I producing? I don't have ovaries. I don't have the food cravings as some describe, actually, I feel like my appetite has decreased. I run or power walk, usually 5 times a week..but still can't shed a pound...and actually have gained a few. I am just starting to feel with all of these horrible side effects..that it's not something I really need to be on. I will talk with my oc this month.

• Unknown
    edited May 2009
    Options

I have now been on Arimidex for almost 7 weeks and up until this week had no SEs at all.  Starting to experience some mild pain in both my wrists...nothing major and have only taken Tylenol a couple of times since the pain started.  Fingers crossed...that this will be as bad as it gets. 

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

There's a new study with Femara and Zometa, and I'm wondering how to get on it with Arimidex!

Prolly not.

Anyway, here's the abstract, and I'm going to run it in to my onc at next visit.

He said check the bone density in 2 years. What are the rest of you doing?

Zoledronic Acid Effectively Prevents Aromatase Inhibitor-Associated Bone Loss in Postmenopausal Women with Early Breast Cancer Receiving Adjuvant Letrozole: Z-FAST Study 36-Month Follow-up Results.

Brufsky AM, Bosserman LD, Caradonna RR, Haley BB, Jones CM, Moore HC, Jin L, Warsi GM, Ericson SG, Perez EA.

Magee-Womens Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA.

Background: Postmenopausal women with breast cancer receiving adjuvant aromatase inhibitors (AIs) are at risk for accelerated bone loss and subsequent fractures. The ongoing Zometa-Femara Adjuvant Synergy Trial (Z-FAST) is evaluating the efficacy and safety of zoledronic acid in preventing such bone loss. Patients and Methods: In this multicenter study, postmenopausal women with early hormone receptor-positive breast cancer receiving adjuvant letrozole were randomized to receive up-front or delayed-start zoledronic acid (ZA; 4 mg intravenously every 6 months) for 5 years. Delayed-start ZA was administered if the lumbar spine (LS) or total hip (TH) T score fell below -2.0 or a nontraumatic fracture occurred. The primary endpoint was to compare the change from baseline in LS bone mineral density (BMD) between groups at month 12; secondary endpoints, measured at other predetermined timepoints, included comparing changes in TH BMD, LS BMD, and markers of bone turnover, fracture incidence, and time to disease recurrence. Herein, we report the results of the 36-month interim analysis. Results: Overall, 301 patients were randomized to each group. At month 36, the absolute difference in mean LS and TH BMDs between the up-front and delayed groups was 6.7% and 5.2%, respectively (P < .0001 for both). Although this study was not designed to show antifracture efficacy, the incidence of fractures was slightly higher in the delayed group (up-front, 17 [5.7%] vs. delayed, 19 [6.3%]) but not statistically significant (P = .8638). Pyrexia (27 [9%] vs. 6 [2%]; P = .0002) and bone pain (39 [13%] vs. 20 [6.7%]; P = .01) were more common in up-front patients; cough (13 [4.3%] vs. 27 [9%]; P = .03) was more common in delayed patients. No severe renal dysfunction or confirmed cases of osteonecrosis of the jaw were reported. Disease recurrence was reported in 9 up-front (3.0%) and 16 delayed (5.3%) patients (Kaplan-Meier analysis, P = .127), with an absolute decrease of 2.3%. Conclusion: Up-front ZA more effectively prevents AI-associated bone loss in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer than delaying therapy until substantial bone loss or fracture occurs.

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi galz! I see no one posted here over the weekend, so I guess I will. Nothing to report, nothing going on, except I notice that after taking Arimidex for a week and a half I am not sleeping as soundly as usual. I'm going to need about an extra hour of sleep here.

I made some more jewelry for my Etsy shop but I didn't finish folding the laundry.

http://www.downtoearthcreations.etsy.com

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

So where is everybody? I have my 6 mo followup appt. with surgeon today.

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi Unique.

I printed out the sheet for s/e for Arimidex...I have MORE highlited than NOT. I am taking it into my oc next week. As of yesterday, I stopped it. I just can't stand it anymore. My quality of life is not good, while on this. I gave it a good 8 months...only getting worse, not better.

• my3girls
    edited May 2009
    Options

How did your appt go?

• patoo
    edited May 2009
    Options

So far I've been on it for about 3 months and no significant s/e's yet.  Prayerfully that will continue although I know they can start up at any time as it builds up in the body.   My3girls, how long after you started taking it did you start to have QOL issues? 

• unique
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hi, Patoo, 3girls!

My surgeon visit went fine. I asked about the BRCA test, and if my Mom comes back positive, they'll do me. It's a new surgeon, because my old one, who I loved, left to join a practice in Florida :@( She seems just fine - same practice.

No QOL issues yet, altho I'm very nervous. The only thing I notice is everything seems harder, my mind is not clear. Given time, I do all right. I worry all the time should I have to go back to work full time, how I will cope. I am definitely not up to par. I have quality, but I'm not quick and my word recall is very amusing.

I'm doing a new site here http://www.downtoearthweb.com/paws

It's so cute, it's uplifting.

A volunteer thing to get me back in the game.

• patoo
    edited May 2009
    Options

Unique, I wish I could blame Arimidex on my mind not being clear and word recall being sluggish, but alas, it predates Arimidex.   I'm happy your word recall is amusing because mine is downright scary.  I used to be able to instantly come up with synonyms and now I really struggle. 

That's a wonderful website.  You must get a lot of satisfaction touching the lives of others.