Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Options

Comments

• nelia48
    nelia48 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been on the Arimidex for several months now, and the worst things I notice is the horrible hot flashes at night and high blood pressure problems.  The sweats at night are so bad that I'm sleeping with frozen ice packs.  And my blood pressure is way out of control --- never had it before Arimidex.  My oncologist says it's NOT the arimidex, as I think he wants me to stay on it at all costs and try to control the BP with medication.

Anyone else having BP problems since startin Arimidex?

Cora

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2009
    Options

I take mine at night and no problems yet - but I'm new to it, only in my 3rd week.  Glad to have this thread to follow other's experiences.  I did have severe foot cramps (top of the foot - go figure) a couple weeks ago but did not connect them with Arimidex since years ago I suffered with leg cramps often.  Now I will be more cognizant. 

• Unknown
    edited March 2009
    Options

I have just started on Arimidex - day two - feeling a bit nauseous, however that could also be a side effect on my radiation treatment.  Having a bone scan on Friday - the oncologist wants to have a baseline since a potential side effect is osteoporosis.  Great thread. 

Carol

• sandi05
    sandi05 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2009
    Options

I had high bp before I started Arimidex but it went up and now I am taking three meds for bp..yes it can make your bp go up. Sandi

• Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2009
    Options

Hi roxy,

I thought I would offer my experience on Armidex.  I have been on it for 3 years come May. 

I take the Armidex in the morning, tried at night and sleep worse than taking it in the a.m.  It doesnt matter when you take it, just be fairly consistent about the time.  I have been on Zopicolne (Immovane) for three years now or I would not sleep at all.  I believe this drug is only available in Canada.  My hotflashes have been mainly controlled by Effexor (75 mg), have been on that since Aug 08.  Very rarely at night I have really bad night sweats and wake up almost every hour but most nights I wake up a few times due to the occasional warm flash.

My joints and knees use to bother me alot in the first year or 2 but seem to have subsided as I take Glucosmine Chondrotin MSM and it helps with the aches ALOT!  It does take a few months to work though, it is over the counter and not a prescription drug.  People that suffer with arthritis are helped alot by this supplement.

I have actually started training for the 60km Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk in September and power walked 5 km with no issues last night.

I do have to motivate myself especially on the weekends after working all week---seems to zap my energy levels which have yet to return to my pre bc levels.  I feel very tired and need a nap both days or I will fall asleep...I have just accepted it as a part of taking this drug.  I hope one day that I wont need the naps but it is what it is...I am alive and have a drug to hopefully prevent reoccurance.

I never had an nausea on this drug, dont take it with any food.

So far bone loss has been okay.  Last year's showed a decline from previous year but still within normal limits.  I was asked to up my calcium level to 1500 from 1000.  I will find out this year's bone density results on Friday.

I feel for those ladies that have suffered alot more than I have, count myself as being pretty lucky in the s/e department.  Everyone's body reacts so differently to meds.

Michele

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2009
    Options

http://breast-cancer.emedtv.com/arimidex/generic-arimidex.html

This is why there is no generic arimidex yet.

It is getting expensive, BCBS HMO co-pays on scripts went up 5 dollars.Undecided

• AZmom
    AZmom Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2009
    Options
    My ins. changed the first of Jan and now I have to pay for it up front for first $1500, and it is $320 a pop. Not sure how long I can afford! Been on it for about 18 mos.(tamox for about 20 mos.), no real SE''s now. Sleep and hot flashes were an issue at first but not really anymore. I use the Glucosamine too, does seem to help.  I take at night. I am just over 4 yrs out from diag. and would REALLY like to get off all the stuff to see what I would feel like. Cool
  • Curlylocks
    Curlylocks Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2009
    Options

There is no generic Armidex because it is a patent drug.  Patents usually last a long time...therefore no other drug company can copy the drug which is where you get generic equivalment drugs that are much much cheaper...

Michele

• kamico3
    kamico3 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2009
    Options

I've been on arimidex for about six weeks now and haven't had any major problems, but I  have noticed that I am experiencing neuropathy  in my hands. They feel numb and tingly quite a bit of the time, especially at night when I am lying down unless I have my arms extending downwards (I'm used to sleeping on my side with my "bottom" arm bent at the elbow and the hand resting on my pillow). Do many other people experience this, and does it get bad enough that you have to stop the arimidex or take some other kind of meds to help with the neuropathy (I'm  not keen on either of these options!)?

• Unknown
    edited April 2009
    Options

I've been on Arimidex for a week and a half and had some low level nausea for about 3 days.  Currently experiencing some mild warm/hot flashes, however, I plan to stop drinking coffee for a couple of weeks to see if the flashes are from the Arimidex or from my coffee start up.  Could be a tad of both I suspect.  The flashes certainly are not a major issue - more a warm spell than anything.  Carol

• thegoodfight
    thegoodfight Member Posts: 124
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi ladies,

I just put my rx in the mailbox for my arimidex.  I am already feeling a little queasySurprised!   I know attitude is so important and it is what got me through my chemo and rads with doable side effects, but.............................I am really dreading these meds.   I am so afraid of all I have read about side effects.   Some are serious concerns and some are just personal and maybe silly.  I just got back from tennis ( I am only beginning to play regularly again) and I worry that the bone pain (especially feet and wrist) will take this joy away from me for FIVE YEARS!!!  I am almost 64, so I imagine if I have to stop now for five years it may be foreverCry.

I guess I am a little on the pity pot today and needed a good rant.  Thanks for your patience and support.  I know I WILL get through this....................we are all so much stronger than we think.

Have a wonderful day.........................Caren

• elisabeth
    elisabeth Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi Kamico.  Hi - just a quick note for you.  I did have a very hard time with my hands and Arimidex.  I have been off of it now for a month because I could not deal with the neuropathy or the neuropathy type symptoms in my hands.  I just started Tamoxifen last Sunday.  I am easing myself into it to see how I do.  Both my med and radiation oncs think Tamoxifen is a really good drug and the beneficial difference between the two is small - given my dx.

I wish you (and all) the best and hope that Arimidex does not wreak havoc on you as it did to me.

• patoo
    edited April 2009
    Options

I'm in my 4th week of Arimidex and so far, so good.  I seem to feel sleepy earlier but not really fatigued.  No joint pain at all.  I refusing to claim side effects so maybe that will take me through a little longer!

Be blessed.

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2009
    Options

I started Arimidex on March 19th , so don't have much experience with it yet.  I do get the warm flushes every so often during the day and night, but they pass quickly and aren't too bothersome.  My joints are a little creakier than usual, especially my hips, knees, hands and feet, but this has been manageable without any medication so far.  The first week on Arimidex I couldn't sleep and now I feel like I could sleep all the time.  If this is as bad as it gets, I can definitely handle it.

~Bonnie

• mcgaffey
    mcgaffey Member Posts: 45
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hey Roxy, I take the little pill every morning right along with my thyroid dose. I work in a school every day and sleep like a babe at night. BUT if I go to sleep too early or I have a particularly weird dream I may wake up early (about once a week).....like 4 a.m. and I try to make myself go back to bed. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. I take loads of vitamins and don't have aches and pains BUT I have developed buzzing ears! Yuck. I am 62....2 years out and counting all my blessings.

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2009
    Options

kamico3 - I too have tingling/falling asleep hands like crazy, when I sleep. Started arimidex about 2 months ago.

The other thing I had was I felt like a speed-freak for a week or so, impatient, crabby, like some of my times in menopause when I wanted to KILL.  I changed my arimidex time from evening to morning and now the crabbiness has moved to 6pm! LOL. just kidding. it seems to be gone. But I've begun to do a lot of sweat-inducing physical activity every day, and added B vitamins & magnesium to all the other stuff I already take, and the occasional 1/2 clonazapam if I really feel wired inside, and I generally feel great. In fact, way better than before my bc journey of the last year, when I was a total couch potato.

• Heidi521
    Heidi521 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi-someone told me to not take it with any other meds. I take it at 5pm every night and that seemed to help with the sleeplessness. Heidi 

• kamico3
    kamico3 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2009
    Options

Re: the tingling hands... I saw my oncologist this past week for the first time in a couple of months, and when I told him about the tingling hands he seemed surprised and seemed to think that it was probably NOT the arimidex (!), but then he said that it was a very rare side effect, probably only 1 or 2%. It certainly seems like plenty of us have experienced it!

• flannelette
    flannelette Member Posts: 398
    edited April 2009
    Options

kamico3 - it's 6:30 am, I've been awake since 3:30 because my right hand/arm to elbow was so tingly, and even hurt, that i could not sleep. Now that Im upright & (sort of) moving about it's fine. I massaged it for what seemed like hours during the night, was like a sleeping hand/lower arm that just won't wake up. Never had it so strong.

Seeing my dr. this week, glad to see I'm not alone (though wish you didn't have it) so I can tell my dr. this. If she gives me suggestions I'll pass them on....I sailed through surgery, chemo ok, radiation a piece of cake...and now....the irony of it all, this. Guess I'm not the bionic woman after allFrown

• hiker
    hiker Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2009
    Options

I have been taking Arimidex for 5 1/2 months.  I have trouble sleeping...yes, thats why I'm typing at 12:30 AM.  I was a great sleeper before, but not now!!!  I don't think I can take 5 years without sleep. But I don't want to take sleeping pills. 

• Unknown
    edited April 2009
    Options

Well so far I have not ditched the coffee which I was going to do for a couple of weeks.  Really love my coffee...not so much the warm spells as a result.  Sleeping for me has always been somewhat of an issue, some nights I sleep very well other nights not so much so I don't think I can blame it on the Arimidex. 

While I realize not everyone experiences side affects, however, I would like to ask if those of you who did experience side affects did they display within a month, 2 months, 6 months, etc. from the start of taking Arimidex?

• elisabeth
    elisabeth Member Posts: 28
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi Purpleme.  I experienced side effects immediately and very severely.  That is why I am now off of Arimidex and on Tamoxifen.  I had splitting headaches (never had headaches), sleeplessness, joint pain and finally, neuropathy like symptoms in my hands (extreme pain, tingling, numbness, etc.).  I went off of everything for a month to try to get my hands back.  They are somewhat better now.

Just my experience - some people deal very well with Arimidex.  E 

• Unknown
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi Elisabeth.  Thanks for the info and maybe I am/will be one of the luck ones and have no or very managable side effects.  My fingers are crossed.  Good luck on the Tamoxifen!

• nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    edited April 2009
    Options

PurpleMe, the first side effect I experienced was a hayfever-like response...sneezing, dripping nose, stuffy sinuses. It started right away. I didn't connect it immediately to the Arimidex but when the Fall allergy season passed and I was still sneezing all day, I looked at the Astra-Zeneca website and found that sinusitus is a known s/e. I mentioned it at my next onc appt, and they recommended taking Claritin or Zyrtec with it. That seems to do the trick.

About 2-3 months into it, I started feeling aches and pains in my known arthritic areas beyond my usual level. Not debilitating, but certainly annoying. Everytime I get up now, I have to stretch my back for a few seconds before I can take a decent step. I've just started taking glucosomine to see if it will help my joints. Other than that, a couple of extra-strength Tylenol work well, but I'd rather stay off extra meds.

I've noticed my skin has seemed more dry. It normally gets that way over the winter, but it's more so this year. Could be I'd just have that symptom with my age anyway, but who can say. 

Sleep, well let's just say since natural menopause set in several years ago, my sleep pattern has been disrupted. I can't blame any current sleep problems on Arimidex.  

I have some tingling in my fingers and toes, but that's been there, off and on, since my chemo. The Arimidex may be playing a part in maintaining it, but I can't say it caused it. 

Well, that's all to report from seven months out. 

• Shelly326
    Shelly326 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi all, I just started Arimidex 6 days ago, and was wondering how long it would take to

notice side effects if I was going to have any.  I've noticed people have trouble sleeping, and

since I've never been a good sleeper, and I do take something at night to sleep, it hasn't

been a problem taking it at night.  I also noticed several peoplel mentioned having spasms

or cramping in their feet.  I find that really interesting because I had that for about a year before

I was ever diagnosed with cancer.  It has not happened since I've been on the Arimidex.  So

if anyone could tell me when I might expect to see side effects, I'd be interested in hearing

Thanks, Shelly

• Unknown
    edited April 2009
    Options

Thanks NancyD for the info it certainly helps.    I wasn't a great sleeper before going through menopause and am still not a great sleeper.  Such is life I guess. LOL

• DesertRider
    DesertRider Member Posts: 37
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I think I have an unusual side effect and would really appreciate some feedback. I've been taking Arimidex for 4 months, with no SE's the first month.  Gradually over 3 months I noticed a mild cramping in my lower abdomen. For the past few weeks I experience a strong cramping that comes & goes. I'm not on any other meds, have no nausea or hot flashes or any other SE's. I had a CAT scan of the whole area - all normal.

Anyone else experiencing this on Arimidex?  I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's going on. 

Thanks so much everyone!

Gail 

• birdsong
    birdsong Member Posts: 56
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi Otter, again and all,

I have been on arimidex for a month now, and not too bad, some aches. I have a question. What is the reason your doc chose it over femera? I am interested in that comparison. Mine recomemded it but said I could chose.Anyone thought of trying each for a month to see the difference in how you feel?  So great to have this site for information and reinforcement.  Thanks Birdsong

• BonnieK
    BonnieK Member Posts: 271
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi everyone,

I've been on Arimidex for almost a month now and the most annoying SE so far is hot flashes.  There is also some joint pain, but I had that before so don't know if it is from the Arimidex.  The onc told me that I could take either Arimidex or Femara -- they work the same way and he said they were basically equal.  He also said he would change me to Tamoxifen if the Arimidex caused too many problems, so that makes me think the Femara must have about the same SE's as Arimidex.

~Bonnie

• patoo
    edited April 2009
    Options

Hi,

I've been on Arimidex for 5 weeks and also now starting to have hot flashes - darn, thought I was done with those!  Other than that I seem to be tired (only a little) but that could be a result of takig Arimidex and/or  7 rads tx's so far.  It could also be all in my head - not a stretch of the imagination.  I was not given the choice.  Med Onc just said Arimidex and, of course, I didn't know any better to ask about others.  No joint pain yet.

Hope everyone has a great Easter.