Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2010

Hello,

Haven't been on here for awhile. I have been on Arimidex for almost 4 weeks now. Doing pretty well, ache some, but can tolerate it. I am more tired than usual, but I just take a afternoon nap. I'm keeping busy and active and that really helps. If I sit and watch TV with hubby, I find I am very stiff when I get up. I was very worried to start Arimidex, almost had anxiety over it. But heck, it's been OK. Hot flashes drive me nuts. If they get worse I am supposed to call my doctor and she said she will put me on Effexor. I am going to wait and see how things go.

Not nearly as bad as I worried about. I also got my gel calcium w/D, and vitamin E and a good multivitamin. I take them all faithfully.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited May 2010

Julia, I did chemo, then rads & one day after rads started arimidex, I know lots of doctors who start ladies during rads though, so I'm thinking it will be soon. Like within a couple weeks, maybe? Anyone who went right from chemo to arimidex out there? Glad you are doing OK, horsegal. Give your body a little time to adjust, I found the hotflashes really evened out after awhile, and moving is the best thing if you are creaky.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited May 2010

Julia,

I started Arimidex the day after radiation ended. My onc was ok either way. Good luck.. and as Ruthbru says, keep moving!

pam 

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2010
    So it's been a long journey for me so far, the last 9 months all taken up with active treatment, so falling apart yesterday / today, maybe it was just due. HOWEVER! I can't help but feel that maybe the fact that 3 days after starting the arimidex I'm suddenly completely floored with depression/anxiety/ crying jags....maybe it's the pills? Did anyone else have this experience? And if so did it (please god) go away??
  • ruthbru
    edited May 2010

I don't think it would be the pills after only three; I think that your year has just been so hard, and you are done with the 'active' part of treatment, and it kind of feels like the rug has been pulled out from you. I think when you are in the midst of things, you don't even have time to digest it all, and so you have to sort through things and find a new normal. To me it totally was a post-tramatic stress syndrome experience. Give yourself some processing time, you've been through a hell-of-an experience!!! Hang in there! Ruth

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited May 2010

Julia257, I had chemo but did not have rads.  My onco wrote me a prescription for Arimidex on the day of my last chemo treatment.  She told me not to start taking it until about 3 weeks after my last chemo infusion; so that's what I did.  I've been taking Arimidex for almost 2 years now.

otter

• Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited May 2010

Thank you all for your assistance.  I spent hours on the internet yesterday and even a call to 1-800-4cancer and I couldn't get the answer you kindly provided, otter, thank you so much!  I don't know why the protocol re. when to start Arimidex after chemo is such a secret. I realize everyone's situation is different but you would think there would be some general guidelines and that we should be able to access that info.  I'll put that call in to my onc. as my next appt with him is in 3 months.  Thanks again, my best wishes to you.  Julia

• horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2010

I can sure feel my joints aching now, my wedding ring won't go over the knuckle on my finger. I wonder if it is from the Arimidex? I have not gained weight, actually I have lost some. I got into my jeans that were too snug after laying around after all my surgeries and healing. I am thinking of having my wedding ring resized, I do have arthritis, so I suppose it's just part of that.

• ronqt1
    ronqt1 Member Posts: 565
    edited May 2010

Good morning everyone, I would like to ask has accupunture ever been recommended for wrist and hand problem as I am  having. I called my onc's office and was told that onc. recommended accupuncture and/or going off Wonderful Arimidex for a couple of weeks. I spoke with Accupunture office, they don't accept insurance, then I called insurance company and because it is an HMO or whatever they will not accept claim at all.  My actual appointment with onc. is 6-16. I have decided not to do anything at this time but live with the pain until I see him in person.

Therefore, I am asking: has anyone else been advised to to accupuncture. I am too scared to go off Wonderful Arimidex. This whole situation stinks big time.

Love to all

• ronqt1
    edited May 2010

Hi its me again. Just to add:

I never had a belly that rolls over. I guess I was just blessed that way.

Now, I have an "Arimidex"  pregnancy.Again, this whole thing stinks.

• jessamine
    jessamine Member Posts: 123
    edited May 2010

thanks everyone! I just want to post this for others though, in case I'm not the only freak out here- I think it really is the arimidex. I am intensely sensitive to medication and always have been, so it doesn't totally suprise me this would be different for me, but the fact is, it goes away at night and starts the same time each day after taking the pill.... the nurse at my hospital agreed that it was probably a reaction to the hormone change. I'm going to try taking them at night and see if I can sleep through this...

ronqt1- I haven't done acupuncture for that, specifically but I have had really great experiences with it for most of the other side effects I've dealt with through all this. The right acupuncturist is important though- I thought itdidn't work/didn't work on me for years, until I found someone who did, I guess a better job, or was more suited to me.

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2010

I started radiation, had the port out, and started Arimidex the same week, which was three weeks after my last Taxol, or 4 weeks ago.  So far, I am just fine.

I am still wearing my "less is more" undies and am thrilled that I fit into my snazziest belts.  This is because I continue to do my routine of weights/crunches.  All of those crunches on the exercise ball and I have whipped those abs into submission.  (But I have to watch them, as they are sneaky.)  I did this all through chemo BTW.

No vibrator, as do the "pre" method of taking care of those needs.

I think I am bit achier than normal in my knees, but not to the point that I couldn't cycle the 30 + miles 10 days ago.  But now have a bottle of ibuprofen in the car.

Energy level is just fine, even with radiation.

I will probably have some more side effects, but nothing I am not willing to put up with if it keeps me free of cancer.  I don't expect to need any other meds other than vitamins including Vitamin D, and of course Aspirin as has been shown to have a major survival benefit.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited May 2010

I know this may sound counter-intuitive, but are you guys with pain from Arimidex getting enough exercise?

I am saying this because Melinda Irwin at Yale and her team are just starting a study looking at whether exercise helps women get through AI therapy.  We won't have the findings for a while, but something worth considering.

Pre-Arimidex story.......for a long time, I had neck pain to the point that it hurt to move my head driving.  Lifting free weights cured it, I think because it strengthened my muscles.  Cycling cured the arthritis I had following Lyme Disease.  There was a time I found it difficult to go down stairs because my knees were weak.  To say nothing of hiking.  So I started exercising really intensely about 10 years ago.

I can do all these things now.  And that is why I suspect exercise will really help me with the 4 years and 11 months of Arimidex I have left.

• c2will
    c2will Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2010

Claire - I completely agree with you.  Just before the BC diagnosis, I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee, to repair a torn meniscus.  There is also minor arthritis.  My knee really flared up about a month ago, especially after bowling.  I returned to the gym, performing the exercises that were part of my physical therapy routine.  I am feeling MUCH better, with not as much stiffness. 

Exercise never feels like something you want to do when you have pain, but something it is exactly what is needed.

• ronqt1
    edited May 2010

Jessamine: Thank you for your response to my inquiry regarding accupuncture. Again, I will wait until I see onc. in June.

As to the other discussions regarding exercise, I have just gone back to the gym within last 2 weeks since Oct. 09. I am taking baby steps with eliptical and treadmill pursuant to dr's instructions. I have just purchased 2 lb weights again due to Dr.'s instructions.

I used to lift 12 lbs and do all machines, but you have to start somewhere but it has helped me with not so being tired. I have also gone back to Zumba, again taking baby steps, walking through routines. No fun, but at least I have gone back. I will know tomorrow when I go to PS if I did any damage to new girls.

Exercise is good. 

HUGS,

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,075
    edited May 2010

I am prone to muscle cramps when I perspire a lot during the hot weather.  Or when I exert muscles that aren't used to being over-used.  Like leg muscles on a long bike ride.  I always took quinine for cramps.  For years it was available over the counter.  Then prescription only.  And now not available in the US because of some lawsuits.  My dr. has given me some samples of a med called QuinZyme to try.  I took a couple yesterday when I started cramping up after working several hours out in the yard and getting soaking wet with sweat.  The pills seem to work.  I find I'm more prone to cramping.  Hard to know if Arimidex is the culprit.

Pam, love your vibrator story!  Very funny. 

Hope everyone is doing great.

• claire_in_seattle
    edited May 2010

Carole....Gatorade!!!  No, I am not joking.

When you are really exerting yourself and sweating....well, it does take a toll on your basic electrolytes.  Just ask the poor internist who did my gyn exam prior to surgery.  I got a leg cramp getting into the stirrups.  He is also a cyclist so understood the problem  He did say it was a first for him however.  So will slug some Gatorade (or another electrolyte replacer) prior to my next visit.

I was a bit crampy the other day, but thought from some of my long rides, so drank some then.  I know I have to keep all the basics around....including anti-bonk potions.

I lift 10 pound free weights....that is what works for me and keeps me trim and toned.  And I started lifting again as soon as my drains were out from surgery, but started with 5s.  My surgeon said OK, so that is what I did.

I actually regained my muscle tone during chemo.  I think I am feeling some knee soreness from the lifts with exercise ball, but not enough to give up toned inner thighs.  Also works like a reverse crunch so gets some additional abdominal muscles too.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

tonic water also has quinine in it

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    if you put gin in the tonic, then it works even better Wink
  • pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited May 2010

Or you just don't notice :-)

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    same thing Wink
  • patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2010

tonic has worked for me.  used to get leg cramps doing water aerobics - no more.  used to wake at night with them, really, really bad - no more.  and that's with only about 2 ozs mixed with cherry juice morning and same at night. 

not sure I would like the gin but vodka???? 

Claire, I exercise 6 days a week, sometimes 7.  I'm sure my hip issues would be worse without the exercise but exercise has not stopped the pain completely.  Arimidex, in my opinion, is a very powerful drug, may be hard to overcome some se's.

Ronna, are you wearing hand/wrist braces in the meantime?  I was heading toward carpal tunnel issues in my right hand (I'm left-handed) so started wearing a soft brace during the day at work (I'm on a computer all day) and one with less flexibility at night.  Did that for a couple of months and now don't need the day one at all and maybe 1-2 times a week will I put on the night brace.  If you haven't yet, give it a try.  (and then follow ruth's - gin + tonic remedy!)

• ronqt1
    edited May 2010

Hi Patoo:

I remembered way back when I first came on site that you wore a hand/wrist brace. I read what you said way back then, purchased one and have worn it occasionally. I would wear it at night so as not to flex my wrist. Sometimes the pain is severe and sometimes does not hurt at all.

I will try the gin and tonic remedy as well.

Have a great day and thank you.

• ronqt1
    edited May 2010

Patoo: I better state my wrist hurts 99% of the time. Again, I will try the tonic.

One question to all girls exercising   -- Are all of you in process of reconstruction or finished up?

I know it is a stupid question, but due to my exchange I was not allowed to do anything post-up 3-25 (exchange) until now.

Thanks again.

• otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited May 2010

Claire asked this:  "I know this may sound counter-intuitive, but are you guys with pain from Arimidex getting enough exercise?"

otter confesses:  "No...".  :(

I totally agree with you.

(otter)

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    edited May 2010

Hi everyone...just checking in...it has now been tada four years since I

finished up my five year Tam/Arimidex routine...just had a mammo

on my remaining breast yesterday and all is clear..

it wasn't easy but it was worth it..

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Smile Great News! Congrats!
  • Julia257
    Julia257 Member Posts: 203
    edited May 2010

Congratulations Lisa, I'm so glad to hear the great news.  Julia

• maryhogan
    maryhogan Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010

I take Arimidex every morning...don't even remember Oncologist saying anything about time of day. My hands swell and hurt at night, I'm stiff everywhere all day. Anybody know if you really do develop arthritis? Or does it just feel like you do? 

• maryhogan
    maryhogan Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2010

RE: Exercise and Arimidex pain....you're totally right. I walk 40 minutes a day and it's the ONLY time I feel good. Exercise is critical.