Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex

Comments

• nmi
    nmi Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2010

ya'll are too funny!!

• lakewoman
    lakewoman Member Posts: 221
    edited May 2010

I walked Walmart shopping hope that counts! Got the nap in today!!! No sweets. Noticed bread I bought Lite Italian(40cal) has no sugar ,Sure Patto and Sue and all you nurses hahaha the 10 carbs convert but oh well...I am not a diabetic just someone who wants to jump start her energy level...Now I am  just waiting for that to happen. If not, what do you women think about asking BC surgeon at appt in July to change my aromatase inhibitor???

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited May 2010

Sharlene-it might be worth a try to switch.

Retail therapy always counts!!

Glad you didn't skip the nap today...one of God's greatest gifts.

gentle hugs.....

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,469
    edited May 2010

Ate bunches of fruits & veggies today, no red meat (but one left over cupcake, and two thirds of a Dilly Bar). Lake, I so believe  EXERCISE is THE ANSWER, even more than eating right. I would try to seriously make the commitment to it for the next 30 days, that way you'll know by your doctor's appointment if other things help (exercise, diet) or if you should ask for a switch. I have a picnic at work tomorrow, so know I won't eat right at noon, but promise not to take any second helpings & be good in the evening.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2010

You are all hilarious.  Thanks for the laughs.

I agree that when you think you are hungry, drink a large glass of water and then wait 20 mins.  By then you will no longer feel hungry or have gone on to do other things, forgetting about food.  It really works.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    I took seconds and have not been good in the evening Cry........
  • horsegal13
    horsegal13 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2010

ruth, you naughty woman!! Control, you need control! Ya, right.

Actually I have not had much of an appetite around bedtime so I just drink some juice with my Arimidex. I have been sleeping so good since on this med. Unbelievable.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

Horsegal, I am thrilled (and jealous) that you are sleeping so well! Sunflowers, I just bought the same shoe over the weekend. Lots of people swear by them. I have only walked outside once in them so far (because it has been raining everyday here) and they felt good. I would recommend to NOT wear them on a treadmill. I did Monday and my knees are still sore. We shall see......worth  shot! Ruth

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2010

RE those sneakers that tone your butt. My son in law  was a videographer for REEBOK and still free lances for them. They sell a product called EASY TONES and my dtr loves them. Of course my dtr also spends 2 hrs/day at the gym and is in great shape but........(no pun intended)

I never buy shoes without trying them on and walking around the store for awhile and saving my receipt and walking on the rugs at home for a couple of days.  I am very picky about my shoes. Guess you all know that! 

Maybe I should try a pair. Sunflowers and Ruth, let me know. Either that or I am saving my sneaker money for one big fat lipo suction. :)

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

LOL! I think the sneakers are the cheaper, lesser painful option to try BEFORE commiting to lipo!

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited May 2010

All of my blood work came back great. I was put on Caltrate though. It wasn't bad but suggestion was to start on it now and be tested in 2012 again. Need to drink more water. UGH!!! They did take more blood and will test my thyroid. Still not hungry and forcing myself to eat. I did lose 8 pounds.  I bought Skeecher's flip flops and love them. Good luck with the new shoes.

• lakewoman
    edited May 2010

I am sitting here hahahha wearing my new Nikes(gortex ) that just came today..OH I forgot  now I am supposed to walk...hahaha 1 mile B/C walk Saturday...I am breaking them in for that ,,yes in my chair hahahh soon I will start ...I have always exercised. Water aerobics for 12 years,,,running tennis...walking ,kayaking lots of that after lumpetomy and mastectomy had both those within 3 weeks!!,,QUess I just took a sabbatical....except for when I hunt...but even then I sit a lot!! I am a good sitter...I ate good today and .had 4 chocolate chips with a few nuts...good treat...Eating out tomorrow nite and party Sat,,will report in Sunday...

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    edited May 2010

Lakewoman, YOU ARE A HOOT!

I have wild ducks in my backyard and will NOT invite you to visit. Am sure you would bring your shotgun.

• lakewoman
    edited May 2010

Dont forget Sue I live on a lake!!!  I am 20 feet from wild ducks swimming outfront and some even come on land to feed under birdfeeder and they are safe....NOW if a deer walked by hahahahah

• lakewoman
    edited May 2010

We had a bear sighting last year ,,mom and two cubs on road where I walk ..when I walk ha! I live on only 50X 100 lot so not much chance of deer in front yard but some up the road,, turkey in back by a swamp and once years ago ...neighbors from Canada came over and pounded on door and said you are not going to believe this a bull moose just walked by our  house and your garage (on our dirt road ) TY God someone video taped it and I got to see moose and side of our garage...

• patoo
    edited May 2010

I have the Dr Scholl's toning sneakers.  Been walking in them 3-4 times a week for about a month now  and absolutely love them.  Are they toning - can't tell, but I do feel the pull in my thighs and butt so other muscles are getting a workout that don't get it when I'm just walking in regular workout sneakers.

I had tried on the Sketchers but felt I could easily twist my ankle.  A few weeks later I decided to give another try and found the Dr Scholl's (about $50. at Sears).  The seem to have a little less curvature than the Sketchers. 

Reebok makes them.  LA Gear also has them.  I saw some also at Burlington Coat Factory but don't remember the brand and they were only about $30. 

• patoo
    edited May 2010

BTW, Dr Scholl's also has a 'toning' sandal and flip-flops.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

Dr Scholl also has some good inserts for shoes & some fun run-a-round flats that have a little cushion to them.

• pj12
    pj12 Member Posts: 18,108
    edited May 2010

I've been wearing the Curves version of the toning sandal ( wide straps ) about a year. I love them for walking but don't wear them for anything else. The veins in my legs are MUCH better. Don't know if it is the shoes or just walking 2 3/4 miles a day. I recommmend them but they do take some getting used to.

pam 

• anniemac
    anniemac Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010

Okay, back to the topic of Arimidex...Went on it after side effects of Femora became too painful.  Just had to go for a bone scan as I am now losing bone.  3 years ago my bones were in the 98th%ile for my age,  After radiation I had "osteo pena" and now my blood-and bone scan- is indicating bone loss.  I do pilates 2x per week, ice skate 2-3x per usually and take calcium and a separate Vitamin D along with spring/summer yard work.  Any suggestions?

• kathylev
    kathylev Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2010

I took my first Arimidex pill this morning.   My feelings are conflicted - I am grateful that I have this medication available to me, but feel so down about starting this regimen.  

• suzie14
    suzie14 Member Posts: 208
    edited May 2010

WHOA...all this talk about new shoes and walking is wearing me out...I am a house plant. to say the least!

lakewoman -- hope you take 1st place in those new NIKES!!

sobx -- happy to hear that your labs were okay! What did your doc say about the weight loss and lack of appetite? Can you add some scotch to that water??

Kathylev -- so sorry you are down about the Arimidex, but at least, as you said, it is available for us.

anniemac --((((( BIG HUGS)))) so sorry for all that bone loss. I really don't have any answers for you, but want you to know I'm thinking of you.

gentle hugs

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

Annie, how about adding some light weights and walking and more calcium; Do you drink milk and eat yogart along with suppliments? I know you are suppose to do weigh bearing exercises that make your bones pound on the ground,; like walking, running etc. Skating might be too smooth of a movement (I know swimming, which is otherwise great, is NOT considered a weight bearing exercise, so does not prevent bone lose). BLAH!!!

• anniemac
    anniemac Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010

I guess I need to get out the weights-they are about 10 feet away.  I hate to sweat (that's why I skate and swim) but if I shrink I will need to lose weight!  I know that I am still angry that so much of what I took for granted 19 months ago just ain't so anymore. But, like so many others, I am thankful that what we are taking is preventing another "We have a problem" discussion.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

I know; it makes me crabby to have to be so 'good' all the time!!!!

• sobx
    sobx Member Posts: 108
    edited May 2010

My ONC said to take the caltrate (twice a day) and do some wieght bearing exercises and walk!!! Then in 2 years we will check it again. If it is lower then I will be put on Boniva or something like that. They don't want to put me on anymore prescription drugs. Drink orange juice too.

The weight lose has them baffled. They took more blood and checking my thyroid now. When I find out I'll let you know. 

I use to live on a lake and had the ducks, turkeys and deer in my yard.I lived in a State Park-wildlife protected. The deer use to snort so I would put corn out for them. And the ducks sat in my shrubs quacking. I had the wildlife spoiled! My dog would steal the eggs and bring them to the front door. I thought the ducks were being dumb until I saw my dog with an egg. He never broke one! My son is the hunter in the family. 

Hoping everyone has a pain free day. 

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2010

Hi Ruthbru,

I noticed you mentioned drinking milk a few times. Is drinking milk ok then?  I love my milk. Of course, I only drink organic now and it is fat-free. Some people say it is the cause of my B.C. on the other side of the coin I have the bones of a young girl and I am 65.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010

Why wouldn't drinking milk be OK? Why would milk 'cause' BC? I have never read that in any reputable research and it is the best source of calcium!

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2010

I have read on these threads that dairy is bad. Reason: hormones fed to the cows. We now can buy organic milk and the dairy industry is regulated so we can trust that it is organic.

• lakewoman
    edited May 2010

THis was my first B/C walk..I walked in the survivor parade first and then the mile walk ...They even had large timer !!!!! I...weell WE did it in 20 minutes hahhahah YES in the new Nikes and my feet did not hurt and I was not tired. !!!  Can't wait to hear how many of us walked,,How grateful I felt seeing my husband waving at me when  I was in the survivor walk and he, son and soon to me daughter in law beside me.on the mile hike...and being with so many ...the energy was powerful... what a gift!!