Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Arthritis vs. Bone Mets

Comments

• americanpinay
    americanpinay Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2009

I can see why you would be concerned. I'm on Tamoxifen and I still get all wigged out sometimes. Hopefully, the bone scan, MRI and US would give you some peace of mind. My path report said 100% ER and 100% PR and that is why I'm doing the hormonal therapy. Not really sure about the "window had passed" for chemo. But perhaps your onc is quite confident that your chance for recurrence is very small so no chemo was recommended?

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited November 2009

barbe.....sending you lots of (((hugs))) and hoping these symptoms turn out to be "nothing"

(((bottkota)))....sorry to hear of your new results. ...and (((Chelee)))...as well. Lots of good meds out there ... keep demanding what you are entitled to from your docs. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited November 2009

It is just so exhausting trying to keep up with everything. My family think I am nuts the way I question everything the dr's even say. But, hey, this is my life we are talking about. I am still worried that what I have can be more than what they say.  Barbe,Chelee and bottkota, we are here for you!! Just keep questioning everything!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited November 2009

Barbe, I'm sorry to hear that you are the next one to go through these tests.  It's so darned stressfull.  We'll be waiting to hear the results.  I hate this disease!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Shirley

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited November 2009

The doc did mention bursitis and he pressed on some areas that hurt, but he's the same doc that approved a handicapped license plate for me that I've had for a couple of months! He KNOWS how bad I am. I asked Dr. Google about bursitis and it says that it comes and goes. Mine doesn't. It came and moved in and hasn't left.

It is getting so bad that last week when I was at a manufacturer for a new product release (Viking designer kitchen appliances) I got so weak I had to sit down and the guys I work with pushed me around in a computer chair! I'll be walking with my clients and actually cry out in pain... it makes me feel very helpless.

For those that don't know, my DH has 3 brain tumours and I HAVE to work. I told my doc today that I'm terrified of being disabled or getting a recurrence and not being able to go on. That would be the end of me. What the heck would we do? I'm not being a martyr, just a realist....sigh.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited November 2009

Barbe, I have been catching up on posts and nursing a very badly bruised leg. So sorry to hear about the lump, it's so worrying, hoping for the same result as the one I had in my chest wall.

Sending big cyber hugs to all who are facing new problems. ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) You are in my prayers.

Alyson

• Alyson
    edited November 2009

Oh ouch, I knelt down last night when bathing GD and nearly went through the roof. I can stand fine on my knee, just have sharp needle like pains but can't put knee on the ground at all. I know it will be tied up with my arthritis but it's over a week since I fell on my leg and I thought it would be better by now. And you should see the bruise? 

Well that's my moan for the day.

Alyson

• AnnaM
    AnnaM Member Posts: 136
    edited November 2009

Lots of hugs and good wishes to my sisters who are going through tests yet again. You are always on my mind . . .

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009

Alyson, I found out my kneecaps don't cover my knees properly when I kneel down! One doc wanted me to start taping/strapping them to bring them around. NOT! I just won't kneel down! I fell your pain.....

• candie1971
    edited November 2009

Me too, Jo. I had arthroscopic done in 2007. No kneeling for me either. Mr doc says only in church..lol. But I dont there either.

• candie1971
    edited November 2009

bump

• candie1971
    edited November 2009

Hi, just wondering how everyone is doing? I went to donate my first pint of blood for my hip surgery yesterday. I found out,again, my hemoglobin is low. The y told me to eat foods high in iron and to take an iron supplement. When I go in two weeks for other pint, if it is still low than I can't give it. So, I will eat,eat,eat iron! My surgery is less than a month away and I am getting nervous. Hoping you are all well!!

Hugs and prayers

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009

Candie, I just had my bone scan today. They did 20 minutes on my hips alone, then another 20 on full body and then came back in and told me they needed more pictures of my hips which took another 20 minutes. Maybe something has finally shown up they can fix! I am hoping so much....

Do you eat red meat? Spinach? uh....check Dr. Google and see what he says to build your iron. Can it build that fast? I've been thinking of you and your upcoming surgery. You must be scared and excited all at the same time. Can you imagine walking without pain?

• chrisct
    chrisct Member Posts: 310
    edited November 2009

Candie - I had trouble with low iron before a surgery years ago even when taking iron supplements - my doctor told me to take slow-Fe (slow release) and to take vitamin C as well.  Vitamin C helps iron absorption. 

• jdash
    jdash Member Posts: 54
    edited November 2009

i also had back pain so I had MRI and i was told arthritic changes   they said as you get older it is common for most everyone to get some sort of arthritis   Hope they know what they are talking about  i always worry about mets as we all do  its normal i guess-  a better question is is there anyone who DOSENT worry about Mets???

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009

I am currently being cautiously optimistic about my pain. When I ran out of my latest vitamins for "women over 50" I told my DH not to bother getting me more. I've been taking them for years and don't know why I even said anything. Well, since then I am in less pain! I looked up "iron and joint paint" and was stunned to see the corelation! The biggest link was Hemachromatosis - an iron overload in your system....a disease that my Mom died of! It is totally treatable IF you know you have it. I am now going in a different direction than mets and will get this checked out.

• hrf
    edited November 2009

That's interesting, barbe. I've started seeing a Naturopath and she changed my multi vitamin to one that doesn't have iron or copper in it. There is so much we don't know and so much we need to know. jdash, I agree with you that everyone worries about mets.

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009
    Jo, I eat pretty good so I'm not adding anything right now. I am still in good shape and it's been about 5-6 days!!! I am so excited! I hope it isn't just the lack of humidity right now. Usually I have a 2-3 week window in the Fall where I'm not in too much pain, but didn't get that this year. I  hope I'm not in that right now. Like I said, I'm being cautiously optimistic. Cool
  • TammyLou
    TammyLou Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2009

I have uptake all over the place and my chestwall hurts all of the time....but, I don't have mets...or at least the doctor is reasonably convinced that I don't have mets.

Radiation can cause considerable damage to your bones.

Joint pain also...likely chemo related.  15mg MOBIC daily seems to help. 

tl

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009

Tammy, I didn't get chemo or do rads....

• candie1971
    edited November 2009

Barbe, I don't eat much red meat but I do eat veggies. I started to take some iron pills but no more cause it is causing me to have diarhea! Yes, Barbe, I am scared and excited. Wow, you hit that right on the head.

Christct, I am taking Vit C, I read that about the absorption..thanks!

Jo, yes to spinach. No...no.. to liver!!

Jdash, so true!

Barbe, very interesting! Wow, you Mom passed awya from excess iron???

Jo, lol to buying leeches.

hugs and prayers

• barbe1958
    edited November 2009

Jo, I can't give blood officially as I am on too many prescription meds, but if this is what it is, they would take blood as needed to keep my iron down. When I had my periods, it would have helped. I had a hysterectomy about 6 years ago....hmmmm. How long have my joints been so bad? Undecided I also have hyperuremia which is uric acid in my system that can form as crystals in my joints! Can you say ouch! Yell There is more that I CAN'T eat, than CAN eat! I said don't give me these pages (4) of things I can't eat, give me a page of things I can! (they couldn't....sigh)

Candie, when the excess iron builds up in your system (my Mom's) it turns to ammonia and fries your brain, basically. That's it in a nutshell, not probably medically perfect, but the way it was explained to us when she died. She got delerious and the damage is irreversible. She went into hospice and into a coma pretty fast, but took 10 days to die because otherwise she was healthy!

So the bleeding-out that the barber used to do with leeches was really bang on! Now to find some leeches in Barrie in the winter.....

• Alyson
    edited December 2009

Barbe: I have the blood test form to be tested for hemochromatosis, have a cousin with it. I must really get it done but they had such trouble getting blood last time they couldn't get enough to do the test. My iron level is high but not dangerously so. Keep putting it off as I don't know if it will help knowing. My cousin has to have blood taken when her levels get very high.

Jo, I take two different anti heartburn meds because of the anti inflammatories.I am not sure what is worse the pain or the side effects.

Feet and other joints have been very bad but that is probably the Femara.

Oh well I must get to bed but it is very humid tonight and find it so hard to sleep with the heat. If it keeps up like this will have to get round and get all the windows opened. We live in an old house that has hung sash windows so in the summer we can have them open slightly all the time, some we can open at the top and once locked they are very secure.

Hope all the aches are not too bad.

Alyson

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited December 2009

Barbe correct me if I am wrong but, isn't gout caused by the formation of uric crystals on the joints? A while back one of my DH's workmates, on board ship, was suffering a terrible attack of gout and, not being able to get the man to a Dr, DH asked me to search the 'net for any sort of remedy for him until he could get shoreside. 

The only thing I could find was black cherries! Luckily they had large commercial sized cans in the ships' stores and the mate got stuck into them straight away.  The pain had disappeared by the next morning and, because the man eats some each and every day, he hasn't had an attack of gout in about three years. 

Maybe, as suggested in some of the other threads, the black cherries will work the same on the joint pain?

Sheila.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2009

Yes, a blood test will prove it. I had a doc appt on the 8th of December (originally the 15th!) to get results of my bone scan, but there was a message on my phone when I got home from work last night that they need to change it!!!!! I've already waited 3 weeks!

Anyway, I got a test in 2001 when my Mom died and they took either 7 or 9 vials. I never followed up with the doc as I didn't really want to know, but I'd like to think he would have called, but it was kind of like a clinic....anyway, I've had a hysterectomy since so no periods, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Black cherries, yes! We've been drinking the juice here on this thread. Diahrea is one side effect. But I take Allopurinol which should be getting rid of the uric acid, but as it clears my system it can cause gout pain. I just want to be done with all the meds and pain!

I'm trying to wean myself off the Tridural 300, I have to use Tramacet to do that, which I already have. I'm also trying to stop the Celebrex (dose cut in half last year due to high blood pressure) and help my kidneys that way as well.

It feels good to have a plan....Laughing

• candie1971
    edited December 2009

Hi

Barbe, so sorry about your Mom, but interesting about the disease...I had never heard of it.

Sheila and Alyson...welcome.

I went to give another pint of blood for my surgery and I couldn't . My hemoglobin is 11.3...too low to donate. I did iron pills for almost the 2 weeks until I got bad diarhea. Both my daughters are A+ so they can't donate. The nurse told me to go home and overdose on foods with iron til next Wednesday. I will then go back again to try it. If I can't then they will give me blood from the blood bank if I need to. They have one pint of mine already. Nurse said they will definetely use that one.

I am finding myself getting shortness of breath during the day..I know it is my anxiety, so I just popped another xanax. lol

hugs and prayers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 344
    edited December 2009

I haven't been here is soooooo long. 

Candie, you're finally getting hat hip done.  Fantastic!  I don't think you're short of breath because of your hemoglobin.  It's not that low.  I think 12 is normal.  My dh had hemorrhoid surgery a few years ago.  His iron was down to 9!  That's how much blood he was losing!  Anyway, they typed his blood, but didn't give him any.  He took iron pills for a while.

Barbe, amazing what we don't know.  I've heard that once one stops having their periods they do not need iron, but I surely never knew of the disorder your mom passed away from.  So, it's not only taking too much iron, but the way your body works with "clearing" the iron?  I am glad to hear your pain is better.  One supplement I wouldn't stop taking is vitamin D.  Of course if you have kidney problems I don't know about taking it.  You'd have to talk to your doc.

Good luck to everyone who is suffering from pain.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2009

I had the blood test this morning for the iron. They only took 2 vials of blood...Undecided I don't see the doctor for followup until Jan 5th as I don't want to miss anymore work this year. This way I can enjoy the holidays and not worry until next year! Laughing

Sad to say I didn't have much luck staying off the Tridural300's.....sigh. I didn't realize how much they helped. I thought they weren't really doing anything as I was still in pain. But being off them for the last 4 days has caused me to really feel my kidney pains. I don't know what's worse! I have stayed off the Celebrex (for arthritis) but had to get back on the Tridural as I found myself having to take Demerols again.

Dang it all to hell anyway! Yell

• hrf
    edited December 2009

barbe, sorry to hear that some pain has returned. Are you still off the iron and is that having a positive effect?

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673
    edited December 2009

Barbe, hope you feel a little better soon

Shirley, how are you doing?