Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mucinous Carcinoma of the breast

Comments

• CDSC
    CDSC Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013

FeelingTheMagic, thank you so much for sharing you story!  I am so glad that chemo went well for you and even more estatic that your daughter had a child.  I hope to have kids some day soon too!

Voraciousreader, thank you for that information!  I was thinking the same exact thing you were about there being no actual results from that research.  I'm not sure if it was the TailorX trial.  She didn't mention it. 

I made a decision this week and decided NOT to do the chemo and based my decision on the results of the first doctor.  I start radiation therapy next week as well as tamoxifen.  I'm nervous but ready to get it over with.  I believe I made the right decision and my family supports me 100%.  I feel so blessed to have such a great support system.  I feel extra blessed to have found people on here who are not scared to share their experiences or even offer advice or extra information.  I hope this discussion continues on and more research is found on this type of breast cancer.  Thanks again for everyone's help!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited January 2013

Cdsc.... Glad you are at peace with your plan and have your family's support. There is another thread here... Stage 1 Grade 1 Premenopausal that you might be interested in reading as well. Annicemd started it. I wish you well!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited January 2013

Cdsc - So happy you've made your decision and have such good support from your family. It will be good to get going on the radiation and plans for Tamoxifen. We'll hope the weeks of treatment fly by for you. You can count on VR and others keeping us up-to-date. You will have good wishes all around from the women on this thread!

• tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited January 2013

CDSC glad to hear that you have made the decision that you have weighed up to be the right one for you. Lots of care and prayer from Down Under (Adelaide, where the Tour down under is cycling past my suburb)

Blessings Tricianne

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2013

Clin Breast Cancer. 2012 Dec 28. pii: S1526-8209(12)00272-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clbc.2012.11.007. [Epub ahead of print]

Resistance to Trastuzumab in HER2-Positive Mucinous Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma.

Baretta Z, Guindalini RS, Khramtsova G, Olopade OI.

Source

Department of Oncology, Istituto Oncologico Veneto (IOV - IRCCS), Padova, Italy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breast J. 2012 Nov-Dec;18(6):632-3. doi: 10.1111/tbj.12031. Epub 2012 Oct 30.

Successful endocrine therapy for locally advanced mucinous carcinoma of the breast.

Nakagawa T, Sato K, Moriwaki M, Wada R, Arakawa A, Saito M, Kasumi F.

PMID:

[PubMed - in process

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2013

ATTENTION SISTERS......While doing my usual research, I came across the above listed studies.  Unfortunately, at the present time, since I have NO access to reading the abstracts or studies, to download the preliminary information would be EXPENSIVE.  I am posting the titles of the studies so if ANYONE has access to a medical database and can read them, I would greatly appreciate hearing about what you might find.  Notice that they are being "epub ahead of print."  That means they are being published online ahead of the "final" print version....which might take MONTHS to publish.

Perhaps someone can share these studies with their physician and ask them to investigate.

I guess it's time for EVERYONE here on the mucinous breast cancer discussion thread to step up to the plate and put their research skills to the test!  Thanks!!!!!

• Golden01
    edited January 2013

Just tried and I couldn't get to them either. I may have access later today. Will do my best.

• Golden01
    edited January 2013

The second article is a letter to the editor not an article.

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2013

Yes.  The second is a letter to the editor.  Thanks Golden!

• Golden01
    edited January 2013

Bingo - #1

Resistance to Trastuzumab in HER2-Positive Mucinous Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma

Zora Baretta,1 Rodrigo Santa Cruz Guindalini,2 Galina Khramtsova,3 Olufunmilayo I. Olopade3

Clinical Practice Points

The human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)

is overexpressed in 20%–25% of invasive breast can-

cer (BC) and is associated with a poor prognosis and

resistance to certain chemotherapeutic agents. Treat-

ment with trastuzumab, a recombinant humanized

monoclonal antibody directed against the extracellular

domain of the HER2 protein, improves outcomes of

HER2-positive BC. However, a significant proportion

of patients treated with trastuzumab either do not

respond initially or relapse after experiencing a period

of clinical response.

We present 2 cases of patients with metastatic HER2-

positive BC, in whom the presence of a mucin-pro-

ducing component impaired the effectiveness of tras-

tuzumab.

Early identification of tumors resistant to trastuzumab

and an understanding of responsible mechanisms are

imperative in the care of patients with HER2-positive

BC so that their therapeutic management can be

changed as soon as possible. Because the presence

of a mucinous component could act as a barrier

against trastuzumab, surgical resection of disease

should be considered early in cases of BC that have

this pathologic feature. In addition, metastatic sites

could become differentiated further during treatment,

leading to increased production of mucin and ac-

quired resistance to trastuzumab therapy.

Clinical Breast Cancer, Vol. xx, No. x, xxx © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

• Golden01
    edited January 2013

Bingo - #2 (first part of letter only):

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Successful Endocrine Therapy for Locally Advanced

Mucinous Carcinoma of the Breast

To the Editor:

Mucinous carcinoma of the breast is one of the

most common special histological subtypes of breast

cancer. This cancer is known for a tendency to remain

local, showing good prognosis compared with common

breast cancers. Modification into inflammatory

cancer is very rare (1). Therefore, few reports have

evaluated the responses of mucinous carcinoma of the

breast to chemotherapy and endocrine therapy (2,3).

We describe a case of advanced mucinous breast cancer

in which dramatic response to endocrine therapy

was demonstrated despite poor response to initial chemotherapy

and discuss what induced such a clinical

course.

• voraciousreader
    edited January 2013

Thanks Golden!!!!

• UKgal
    UKgal Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013

I am 40 year old female and my Mom 57 just called me and said she has Mucinous Carcinoma in her ducts(1.5mm?) and a larger place closer to her chest wall (4mm?). Her lumpectomy surgery is scheduled for this friday February 15, 2013.  She then has chemo for 18 weeks, radiation 6 weeks, and has to take a chemo pill. One, why are they being so agressive (if this is aggressive); two, what is the best way to be supportive for her living 5 hours away (because I'm horrified, just lost Dad to colon cancer 2 years ago); and three, she is not telling many family members at home who will offer her support and help care for her during her low days? She does not want people to look at her with pitty.  She is having a hard time with her "pending" body image as well. I am willing to do anything to help her through this experience, and realize that a positive attitude is golden. Your posts have helped me to understand what we are up against, and I want to thank all of you lovely posters for sharing.

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

UKgal....First off, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis.  She is very lucky to have a daughter like you!  Regarding her treatment, without knowing all of the details of the characteristics of her tumors, chemotherapy is sometimes indicated.  As you can see from reading this thread, mucinous breast cancer has variations and therefore, treatment can vary as well depending on the tumor's characteristics.  Likewise, if she has concerns about her specific treatment, she might wish to get a second or even third opinion.

Now, regarding her being a private person and not wanting to bother many people, I can appreciate where she is coming from.  I understand that you are concerned that if she has chemotherapy, she might require assistance.  Not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the United States we have many services where volunteers are available to assist patients during their active treatment.  I consider myself very fortunate because I was able to receive my active treatment without any assistance from volunteers or family members.  Regarding not wanting to tell family members about her journey, especially in light of recently losing your beloved father, I understand her feelings as well.  I consider myself a very private person and told very few people about my diagnosis.  Today, three years away from diagnosis, very few people, including extended family members DO NOT know that I am a breast cancer survivor.  There are other threads here at breastcancer.org that discuss the whole emotional aspect of sisters telling other people about their diagnosis.  I'm sure you can appreciate that there is a spectrum of ways of how and who are told.  There is no right or wrong way of telling people, nor most importantly, a right or wrong number of how many people one wishes to tell. 

Regarding her body image and pity....there are many support groups that are available to her.  The hardest part of this journey is asking for help.  However, she can take the giant step of asking what services are available to her and then she can decide whether or not the services are right for her situation.  Emotionally speaking, I think getting a breast cancer diagnosis so soon after the loss of her beloved husband is a cruel and difficult blow.  I do wish her well and hope that one day soon, life will be a little more kinder and gentler for her.

• Destina
    Destina Member Posts: 51
    edited February 2013

UKgal,

I'm truly sorry to hear about your mom (and your dad). I do understand your mom's desire to be private about this at this time. It's so fresh. When I was first diagnosed, I only told a few people outside of my husband and daughter because I felt so raw and vulnerable. The concern hasn't gone away, however, it has transformed over the past few months into a much better place. I am more comfortable sharing with others now because I am feeling more centered. And the not wanting to be looked at with pity makes sense, too. In the very beginning of this (and honestly, I still am in the beginning of this), it did feel good to be with some folks who didn't know because of course, they just treated me as they always did which sort of offered a respite from the worry, concern, etc.

I can't speak to your mom's treatment with respect to it being aggressive. The only thing that jumped out from your message was that one of the tumors was close to the chest wall. Perhaps that is a factor.

Voracious Reader has given you some very good suggestions regarding possible support sources for your mom. I would also encourage you to be gentle and kind with yourself as I do know this can be a pretty stressful experience. I wish your mom and you the very best, and I know you'll find plenty of support and information via these boards.

• Frieda
    Frieda Member Posts: 8
    edited February 2013

Dear MC Sisters,

it´s so difficult for me finding information about my special type of breastcancer. So this discussion board is so important for me. Thank you very much. Because my mucinous lump is very great (8 cm) and aggressive (HER2-positive 3+), I first had chemotherapy, then radiation (6 weeks) and now the operation takes place on friday (skinsparring mastektomie). The article "Resistance to Trastuzumab in Her2-positive mucinous Breastcancher" destroy my hope, that Trastuzumab protect me getting metastases. So what can I do? The neoadjuvant chemotherapie made the lump smaller (8 cm to 5,6 cm), but the result is far away from a total remission. Are there any informations about Pertuzumab or TDM1  and mucinous breastcancer?

I live in Germany (45 years old) and have the feeling, that nobody has experience with the aggressive typ of MC.

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

Frieda... I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. First off, please do not lose hope! I realize reading some of the studies might upset some sisters, but please understand that all of the studies should empower you! Please note the study done in Japan that was published in 2012. It seems that the mucinous patients did NOT respond well to neoadjuvant chemo... BUT they ultimately did well with endocrine therapy! There was also a study of a case in 2008 involving a sister who had a relapse of mucinous breast cancer that became HER 2 positive and the patient did well with chemo and herceptin. Because HER 2 positive is an even rarer presentation of mucinous breast cancer, the literature on what does and doesn't help is sparse. Don't base your lack of hope on one or two negative studies. More patients do well!

Regarding TDM1 and Pertuzumab, I am not familiar with any specific study with respect to mucinous breast cancer.

Please make copies of the studies and share them with your team. I wish you well on Friday and through active treatment. Please let us know how you are doing as we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

• FeelingtheMagic
    FeelingtheMagic Member Posts: 103
    edited February 2013

Golden, Is that all there is to the article Resistance to Trastuzumab in HER2-Positive Mucinous Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma?  If there might be more, I will go purchase it and share with all of you.

Frieda, I was also diagnosed with mucinous, Her2 positive.  Yes, it's rare.  I'm sending you sisterly hugs. ~smile~
    I'm glad you found your way here... it's been my best spot to get info.  I'm currently on herceptin until June. (as well as tamoxifen for years, apparently).  As Voracious has said, Please don't lose hope by one article... it does look like that article is based on studies of women with metastatic cancer.   I know there doesn't seem to be a lot about mucinous with Her2, in general.   

Voracious, thanks for mentioning the articles with successes! 

Ukgal, sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis and about the loss of your dad.  When I was diagnosed, I was going to keep things quiet... all heck broke loose when I had my body painted prior to the mastectomy and a friend who took photos posted a photo on facebook ( a tactful upper chest portion)  As it turned out, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I needed support .. my business crashed, I was emotionally crashed.. more because I'd just gone through this with my daughter (who is awesome now) and it all became too much.  Going public, as a basically private person, was strange but brought me so much support on so many levels.  Telling you this story, just to be aware that your mom's methods of managing this could change as she goes along. There's so much to process, especially newly diagnosed.  She talks to you, listening is your greatest gift to her. Also, we need to be our own advocates, she may appreciate your doing research for her. Seeing you show up here tells me she's got a great daughter on her side... I suspect you'll know how to help her.  And take care of you. I found it harder to be the mom of a daughter dealing with cancer, than having had to deal with it myself. My heart goes out to both of you.

• FeelingtheMagic
    edited February 2013

ps. Frieda, love and healing thoughts sent your way with wishes for a speedy recovery after your surgery.

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013
  • voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

Feeling....Here's the study!  Golden found the ENTIRE article!

Resistance to Trastuzumab in HER2-Positive

Mucinous Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma

Zora Baretta,

1 Rodrigo Santa Cruz Guindalini,2 Galina Khramtsova,

Olufunmilayo I. Olopade

Introduction

Resistance to trastuzumab, either primary/de novo resistance or

acquired/treatment-induced resistance, is a major clinical concern

facing breast oncologists today.

Here, we describe two cases of human

epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-positive breast cancer

(BC) with a mucin-producing component that were presumably

resistant to trastuzumab.

Case Reports

Case 1

In 2004, a 57-year-old woman had a diagnosis of metastatic inflammatory

BC. Biopsy of the left breast revealed infiltrating ductal

carcinoma (IDC) with a mucin-producing component, histologic

grade 3, estrogen receptor (ER)-positive, progesterone receptor (PR)-

negative, and HER2-positive. Three liver lesions consistent with metastases

were found by computed tomography (CT) scan. The patient

was started on chemotherapy with carboplatin, docetaxel, and

trastuzumab. After six cycles of chemotherapy, clinical and radiologic

evaluation of the disease showed a complete response of the liver

lesions, but a poor response in the breast and lymph nodes. A left

modified radical mastectomy was performed in view of the complete

resolution of the liver lesions. Pathology revealed that the entire

breast, including nipple and skin, was replaced by IDC. Lymphovascular

invasion was present, and 9 of 13 axillary nodes were positive

for metastases. Of note, the tumor was characterized by a large colloid-

producing component (Figure 1A) and was stage pT4d pN2

pMx, ER-positive, PR-negative, and HER2-positive. After surgery,

the patient was treated with adjuvant radiotherapy of the chest wall

Zora Baretta and Rodrigo Santa Cruz Guindalini contributed equally to this work.

Department of Oncology, Istituto Oncologico Veneto (IOV – IRCCS), Padova,

Italy

Department of Radiology and Oncology, Instituto do Câncer do Estado de, São

Paulo, Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Department of Medicine, Center for Clinical Genetics and Global Health, Section of

Hematology/Oncology, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL

Submitted: Nov 7, 2012; Accepted: Nov 12, 2012

Address for correspondence: Olufunmilayo I. Olopade, MD, Center for Clinical

Cancer Genetics and Global Health, Department of Medicine, University of Chicago

Medical Center, MC2115, 5841 S. Maryland Ave, Chicago, IL 60637

Fax: 773-834-0496; e-mail contact: folopade@medicine.bsd.uchicago.edu

Clinical Practice Points

The human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)

is overexpressed in 20%–25% of invasive breast cancer

(BC) and is associated with a poor prognosis and

resistance to certain chemotherapeutic agents. Treatment

with trastuzumab, a recombinant humanized

monoclonal antibody directed against the extracellular

domain of the HER2 protein, improves outcomes of

HER2-positive BC. However, a significant proportion

of patients treated with trastuzumab either do not

respond initially or relapse after experiencing a period

of clinical response.

We present 2 cases of patients with metastatic HER2-

positive BC, in whom the presence of a mucin-producing

component impaired the effectiveness of trastuzumab.

Early identification of tumors resistant to trastuzumab

and an understanding of responsible mechanisms are

imperative in the care of patients with HER2-positive

BC so that their therapeutic management can be

changed as soon as possible. Because the presence

of a mucinous component could act as a barrier

against trastuzumab, surgical resection of disease

should be considered early in cases of BC that have

this pathologic feature. In addition, metastatic sites

could become differentiated further during treatment,

leading to increased production of mucin and acquired

resistance to trastuzumab therapy.

Clinical Breast Cancer,

Vol. xx, No. x, xxx © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Keywords:

Hormone receptor, Invasive breast cancer, Mucins

Case Report

Clinical Breast Cancer

Month 2012 1

1526-8209/$ - see frontmatter © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2012.11.007

and supraclavicular fossa (5040 cGy) and started on maintenance

therapy with trastuzumab and anastrozole.

Case 2

In 1990, a 29-year-old woman was diagnosed with a stage II IDC

of the right breast. ER, PR, and HER2 expression was unknown. She

was treated with lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection,

followed by adjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide

and radiotherapy. When she was 41 years old, she

developed a contralateral stage III (pT1c pN3), histologic grade 3,

ER- and PR-positive, and HER2-negative IDC. A left modified radical

mastectomy was performed, and she was started on adjuvant

chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide, followed

by weekly paclitaxel. Then, she received chest wall irradiation and

was started on hormone therapy with tamoxifen. After 2 years, because

of diffuse skeletal pain, a workup for metastatic disease was

performed which revealed a diagnosis of right supraclavicular lymph

node involvement and bone metastases. She underwent multiple sequential

palliative treatment lines including capecitabine, weekly paclitaxel,

gemcitabine, and abraxane in combination with bevacizumab.

During this period she also received zolendronic acid every 3

months and goserelin monthly. After 4 years of treatment she began

to experience shortness of breath and fatigue. A positron emission

tomography (PET)/CT scan showed diffuse metastatic disease in

bone, liver, and lung lesions. A liver biopsy was consistent with metastasis

of ER- and PR-negative, HER2-positive BC. Thus, the patient

was treated with carboplatin, docetaxel, and trastuzumab. A

restaging PET/CT scan after four cycles showed complete resolution

of skeletal metastatic tumor activity and a marked decrease in hepatic

tumor activity, and stable lung disease. A decrease of tumor marker

Ca 15.3 was also noted (from 1485.0 to 251.7 U/mL). Because of the

mixed response to ongoing treatment, a lung transbronchial biopsy

was performed and pathology revealed ER- and PR-negative, HER2-

positive BC metastasis characterized by an abundant mucinous component

(Figure 1C and D). Treatment with lapatinib and capecitabine

was started, but the patient did not respond and died two

months later from progressive disease.

Discussion

Mucinous carcinomas constitute a distinct and significantly rare

pathologic entity accounting for only approximately 2% of BCs. The

definition of this type of tumor requires a mucinous component of

50% of the lesion.

However, when a component of ductal carcinoma

prevails over a mucinous component, the diagnosis of mixed

mucinous carcinoma has to be made.

In the first case presented, the

tumor lesion was characterized by a large mucinous component and

by a high grade IDC. Because mucinous carcinomas have a good

prognosis, showing lymph node involvement in only 12% of cases,

ER positivity in 94%, PR positivity in 81.5%,

and HER2 overexpression

in4%–7%of tumors,

the aggressive phenotype of BC, in our

Figure 1 (A) Invasive ductal carcinoma with a wide mucin-producing component (inside the red circle; scale bar: 100

m). (B)

Computed tomography scan shows multiple lung lesions (indicated by arrows). (C) and (D) Lung metastasis of

HER2-positive (C, red arrow; scale bar: 100

m) and Thyroid Transcription Factor-1-negative BC (D, scale bar: 100

m)

with colloid-producing phenotype (inside the red circle; scale bar: 100

m)

A

B

C D

100 microns

100 microns 100 microns

Resistance to Trastuzumab in Mucinous Breast Cancer

Clinical Breast Cancer

Month 2012

patient, was probably because of the IDC. In the second case, an organspecific

differentiation of BC was noted; in fact, histology of the primary

tumor was different from that of the lung metastases. Changes in pathologic

features have been described between primary BC and metastases,

and before and after neoadjuvant chemotherapy.

The two cases were HER2-positive, and, even though at different

points in the natural history of the disease, they were treated with

trastuzumab. In both cases, a mixed response to combined treatment

with chemotherapy and trastuzumab was documented. In the first

patient, a complete response of liver metastases occurred, although

the treatment was ineffective in the breast and axillary lymph nodes.

In the second case, there was a good response of all metastatic sites,

except in the lungs. Possible molecular mechanisms of trastuzumab

resistance include loss of phosphatase and tensin homolog activity,

down-regulation of p27, a circulating HER2 extracellular domain,

activation of insulin-like growth factor I receptor, and overexpression

of mucins (MUC), especially MUC-4.

10–12

MUC-4 is expressed in

approximately 30% of BCs

and can be responsible for trastuzumab

resistance via two mechanisms: (1) forming complexes with members

of the ErbB family and sequestering them with reduced binding of

trastuzumab

; and (2) decreasing antibody-dependent cell-mediated

cytotoxicity, one of the known mechanisms of action of trastuzumab,

by blocking the accessibility of the tumor antigens to the

cytotoxic immune cells.

Staining for MUC-4 was possible only for

the first case, and it was consistent with overexpression of MUC-4.

In both cases, it is possible to recognize a common feature: the

large mucinous component present in the breast tissue of the first

case (Figure 1A) and in lung metastases of the second case (Figure 1C

and D). Our hypothesis is that the mucin acted as a barrier against

trastuzumab, contributing to resistance to trastuzumab beyond the

other possible mechanisms described above. In fact, mucins have a

central role in maintaining homeostasis and protecting the luminal

surfaces of epithelium-lined ducts in the human body.

In our cases,

this ability could represent the modality that the BC used to escape

from the action of ongoing combined treatment with chemotherapy

and trastuzumab.

Conclusion

The clinical problem of trastuzumab resistance is important, because

patients who experience it do not have the same benefit derived

from this targeted therapy compared with nonresistant patients.

Early identification of these patients and an understanding of the

mechanisms responsible for this resistance are imperative, so that

their therapeutic options can be changed as soon as possible.

Disclosures

All authors have no conflicts of interest.

References

1. Spector NL, Blackwell KL. Understanding the mechanisms behind trastuzumab

therapy for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive breast cancer.

J Clin

Oncol

2009; 27:5838-47.

2. Northridge ME, Rhoads GG, Wartenberg D, et al. The importance of histologic

type on breast cancer survival.

J Clin Epidemiol

1997; 50:283-90.

3. Yerushalmi R, Hayes MM, Gelmon KA. Breast carcinoma—rare types: review of

the literature.

Ann Oncol

2009; 20:1763-70.

4. Tan PH, Tse GM, Bay BH. Mucinous breast lesions: diagnostic challenges.

J Clin

Pathol

2008; 61:11-9.

5. Di Saverio S, Gutierrez J, Avisar E. A retrospective review with long term follow up

of 11,400 cases of pure mucinous breast carcinoma.

Breast Cancer Res Treat

2008;

111:541-7.

6. Barkley CR, Ligibel JA, Wong JS, et al. Mucinous breast carcinoma: a large contemporary

series.

Am J Surg

2008; 196:549-51.

7. Diab SG, Clark GM, Osborne CK, et al. Tumor characteristics and clinical outcome

of tubular and mucinous breast carcinomas.

J Clin Oncol

1999; 17:1442-8.

8. Curigliano G, Bagnardi V, Viale G, et al. Should liver metastases of breast cancer be

biopsied to improve treatment choice?

Ann Oncol

2011; 22:2227-33.

9. van de Ven S, Smit VT, Dekker TJ, et al. Discordances in ER, PR and HER2

receptors after neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer.

Cancer Treat Rev

2011;

37:422-30.

10. Le XF, Claret FX, Lammayot A, et al. The role of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor

p27Kip1 in anti-HER2 antibody-induced G1 cell cycle arrest and tumor growth

inhibition.

J Biol Chem

2003; 278:23441-50.

11. Köstler WJ, Schwab B, Singer CF, et al. Monitoring of serum Her-2/neu predicts

response and progression-free survival to trastuzumab-based treatment in patients

with metastatic breast cancer.

Clin Cancer Res

2004; 10:1618-24.

12. Lu Y, Zi X, Zhao Y, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I receptor signaling and resistance

to trastuzumab (Herceptin).

J Natl Cancer Inst

2001; 93:1852-7.

13. Carraway KL, Price-Schiavi SA, Komatsu M, et al. Muc4/sialomucin complex in

the mammary gland and breast cancer.

J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia

2001;

6:323-37.

14. Price-Schiavi SA, Jepson S, Li P, et al. Rat Muc4 (sialomucin complex) reduces

binding of anti-ErbB2 antibodies to tumor cell surfaces, a potential mechanism for

Herceptin resistance.

Int J Cancer

2002; 99:783-91.

15. Nagy P, Friedländer E, Tanner M, et al. Decreased accessibility and lack of activation

of ErbB2 in JIMT-1, a Herceptin-resistant, MUC4-expressing breast cancer

cell line.

Cancer Res

2005; 65:473-82.

16. Komatsu M, Yee L, Carraway KL. Overexpression of sialomucin complex, a rat

homologue of MUC4, inhibits tumor killing by lymphokine-activated killer cells.

Cancer Res

1999; 59:2229-36.

17. Hollingsworth MA, Swanson BJ. Mucins in cancer: protection and control of the

cell surface.

Nat Rev Cancer

2004; 4:45-60.

• FeelingtheMagic
    edited February 2013

Thank you! Strangely feels good just reading anything about mucinous and her2+.

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

Feeling... I understand your strange good feeling. The DH has a rare disorder. When he was diagnosed there was fewer than 500 people in the world who had been identified with it. I used to grasp at ANYTHING that I could find about his illness. The funny thing now is... When I read studies about the DH's illness in journals, it's him who they are describing OR the clinical trials that he participates in. Funny in one respect because I know who the "case study" is referring to, but also sobering because there is nothing new in the way of research.

• FeelingtheMagic
    edited February 2013

Voracious, you have had your share of reasons to become so expert at research, haven't you?  Yes, it must be sobering not finding anything new in research for you DH's discorder.    I'm grateful you have the research skills that you do, but am sorry for the reasons that have gotten you there. 

Speaking of research, have you had the opportunity to meet with the doctor/s in New York? Or is that coming up?  (forgotten their names.. moving here from the British Isles, I think?) 

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

My meeting with Dr. Weigelt is pushed back to March.

And yes, I am profoundly grateful for my research skills and ability to understand..

• TaunTaun8
    TaunTaun8 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2013

Greetings to all. I haven't updated in a very long time... I'm still here and doing well! I finished 4 cycles of AC and am now on my 3rd of 12 cycles of Taxol. I have been very blessed in that I haven't had any severe side effects. It's been smooth sailing for the most part. I did have a bad cold and chest infection which required me to miss one treatment, and, unfortunately, I have a mild cold right now. I don't think it will interfere with my treatment today, but we'll see.

My hair is growing back! It was just a lot of fuzz for a long time, even on the AC, but it is noticebly getting thicker, now. I was blessed with a cute blonde wig (and I'm not a natural blonde)- I can't tell you how many compliments I get! People keep telling me to just go blonde when the hair all grows in. I didn't know it would suit me so well.

Probably my biggest complaint is that I am either hot or cold. There's no in between. I spend the day alternating between being bundled up with a knitted cap on my head (if I'm at home) and stripping everything off and sitting in front of a fan. Nevertheless, it's manageable, and though I'm tired a lot, I am able to function fairly close to normal.

I learned recently that my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer- he has smoked since he was about 12. He's having about 1/4 of his lung removed, and some lymph nodes, and he'll find out what further treatment he needs. Also, one of his sisters was diagnosed with breast cancer (not sure what kind). Before my diagnosis, I hadn't heard of anyone in my family having cancer.

I hope everyone has a pleasant and "good" day!!

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited February 2013

Could I ask you ladies a question? Have any of you ever been advised of any association between mucinous cancers & other types of cancer in an individual? I just have LCIS, but I had mucinous borderline ovarian cancer. All of this is so rare & there seems to be so little info out there. I have been tested for multiple genetic syndromes and am negative.

• voraciousreader
    edited February 2013

Melissa... My MO told me there was no connection between mucinous breast cancer and other types of organ mucinous tumors.

Taun-Taun... Thanks for stopping by. I am glad to hear that you've been doing well with your active treatment. Sorry to hear that your father is now a cancer patient too. Thoughts and prayers to you and your loved ones.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited February 2013

Thanks Voracious. Nice to know.

Melissa

• tricianneAust
    tricianneAust Member Posts: 153
    edited February 2013

Hi Melissa,

I had mucinous bowel cancer 10 years prior to having mucinous breast cancer 2.5yrs ago. The pathologist & oncologist advised me that normally there is no connection between these types of cancer the only exception to that is if I had a secondary cancer just following the bowel cancer and as it would be seeded by the same cancer it would remain of the same type, hope I have written that so you can get the gist of what I am saying.

Currently I am supporting my 39yr old friend who has terminal ovarian cancer diagnosed at the same time that I had the breast cancer diagnosed. Julie is an absolute inspiration to be with each day, i do massage for her as it helps to keeps her bowels open. She has a deep faith as does her husband, they have two children 5 1/2 yrs old and 4 yrs old. She keeps out of hospiital as much as she can and they do "bucket list" items at every opportunity. This week she took her 4 yr old boy up in a helicopter as she has been promising to do this with him.The next day after having an ascites drain at the hospital they went for a family retreat for two days, then yesterday she completed her purchasing of birthday gifts for all her daughter & sons significant birthdays. She has such a positive attitude to life and all she can fit into it that she is actually a joy to be with. So at the moment Julie is my priority so I am not logging on much and would welcome any of you who wish to pray for Julie and her family