Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair

Comments

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited May 2011

I did not lose hand or toe nails.  I had my nails polished the entire time.  I did lose eye brows and lashes, but it was a few weeks post chemo.  Lashes came back right away.  I never did have much for eye brows and they seem even thinner. 

Colleen

• sebm9
    sebm9 Member Posts: 488
    edited May 2011

I did not lose nails, nor did they discolor. They are brittle and chip much easier than before, but are getting much stronger at this point. I lost some lashes but not all; my brows thinned through four TC but about 2-3 weeks PFC brows were almost nothing. They bounced back within a couple of weeks; any hair you lose will grow back very quickly, and robust! You can use ice packs to stimulate the growth -- just as cold caps stimulate hair growth on your head, cold stimulates hair growth all over your body.

For neuropathy: my nurses recommended taking L-Glutamine daily (they recommended powder in my juice, but I took capsules -- still take them). They also recommended icing fingers/toes during the infusion, which I did, but the thing they recommended most heartily was use of acupuncture -- even before chemo treatments began. It was available through my cancer center. I'd never tried it until then, but love it. I had some mild neuropathy after #1, but 2 nights of intense neuropathy after #2. Acupuncture the following day cleared it right up. I found that whatever discomforts I felt as I went in to my acupuncture appt -- queasiness, diarrhea, hot flashes, tingling feelings, fatigue, the blues -- acupuncture addressed swiftly. I love it and still use it!

Btw, I found a website tonight called Skindeep from the Environmental Working Group. It helps identify the chemicals in various health and beauty products, with special sensitivity to the hormone disrupters that can be a risk factor for breast cancer, esp. those of us with hormone-sensitive cancers. Thought it might be of interest: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ 

I always find the news and info links on breastcancer.org to be very informative. A couple of days ago they highlighted a study of certain blood pressure meds (including one I take) which show  an increased risk of cancer recurrence in early-stage breast cancer patients. I will be having a chat with my doctor first thing in the morning about going off that med! 

Susan 

• LivCar
    LivCar Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2011

quill/Chris - thanks for the post about AC and long term side effects.  THat's what i'm on now ... love that news!!

mdg- good advice about the dryer on cool. i've been babying ... maybe i'll treat myself to a cold blow-out!

All - i have 3 weddings this summer.  Wish i didn't!!  Has anyone risked using hairspray or a curling iron for one night?? are there safe hairsprays for one night of indulgence??  i'm already thinking ahead to how i'll make my one inch roots and flat hair look good.  Now, if only i can find a dress that hides my port, and missing boob!!  argh ...

• LivCar
    edited May 2011

oh - i keep seeing references to heartburn. I'm starting to think my chest pains may be heartburn.  I was starting to get worried!!

• yizbieta
    yizbieta Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2011

Good to know- thank you, cmksocal! There is not much to do about it now...I am past four and have done nothing to treat it. I have had tingling occasionally in both hands and feet. Okay, maybe I will try to ice next time...Not sure.

having a shakey day today- almost fainted in the shower-cold sweats, nausea- maybe too warm for too long- maybe not enough protein yesterday, maybe dehydrated - delayed side effects? got first real heavy  nausea - this is not fun. this has been the worst for the nausea and fainting kind of thing- so not bad I guess but not good for today...so so cold too!

Ang7 thank you! I had no idea.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150
    edited May 2011

Susan:  Which blood pressure medicine is it?

• yizbieta
    yizbieta Member Posts: 77
    edited May 2011

Day 16- 21 past the first treatment was pretty much the beginning of shedding point for me- first time.There was a lot and it was scary, but it has been evenly spread over my entire head, except for knots that made it more local to one spot.  It continued (on me) for at least two treatment cycles- the pretty heavy shedding that was scary, that is, as I still have some now but certainly not as bad as it was the first two. I really thought I had failed, and went through a time of depression about how much I had spent, how hard it is, etc,a nd then I was still losing it......but today, 25 days after my third chemo (t/c @3 wks), and four days after my fourth, I still have  a good bunch of (yes, thin) hair all over my head, except for above both my ears and my sideburns and one spot at my hairline/forehead where it looks as if I might have a serious receding issue on that side- but it combs over nicely.  No one woudl know. It IS scary at first because the hair just starts to come out heavily....get through that, and keep comparing to what is on your head. NOTICE that is is evenly shedding. And then, try to let it go, but continue to do everything you can to keep it.  It is not guaranteed but if you still have hair you are doing it well, and I am resolved that possibly one month (if that happens) of bald will be easier than all the months of treatments!

Hope this helps!

• howard
    howard Member Posts: 102
    edited May 2011

Mdg: I'm tracking right along with you. Finished TCx4 chemo 4/15, two weeks before you. Finding same thing: eyebrows very thin, lashes a little, and very watery eyes, especially in the wind. Discovered it's bc tear ducts are plugged and tears have nowhere to drain so drips down cheeks. Talked to a friend who said hers finally cleared.

Washed hair this morning and had more shedding than ever. Probably 150 hairs, I'd say. Have to start Taxetere after exchange on June 10. Side effect can be hair loss. Yikes!

• quill
    quill Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011

LivCar, I had severe heartburn and acid reflux with my first treatment.  I also had a terrible cough which I was sure was cancer in my lungs.  These were all SE and I now take Prilosec daily and almost none of those SE any longer.  I also take Carafate which is a liquid that coats my stomach when I need it.  Ask your doc about this and I think you will feel much better! 

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited May 2011

Howard:  They watery eyes are killing me!  I can't wear my contacts.  I am seeing co-workers for the first time since December tonight at a dinner.  They don't know anything other than I had surgery - they know nothing of BC and I don't plan to discuss it. How am I going to keep make upo on?  Eyes water soooo bad.  I hope it clears up soon.   Now I have to start fixing my hair.....so it looks semi-normal for tonight!

As far as those that asked about making hair look normal for a wedding/event....  The best I suggest if you have longer hair that can be pulled back is to part it on the side, sweep the bangs down and accross behind the ear loosely, gather the rest of your hair down low with a nice clip or soft covered rubberband (you can always add a bow or decorative clip over it).  Cover roots with colormark and comb gently through it with an eyebrow/lash type comb (I got it at CVS) so it won't get "crunchy" where you apply the colormark.  I smooth my hair with a tiny bit of Organix Moraccon Oil to decrease frizzies.  I also have added in some hair extensions before pulling my hair back and it fills out the straggly pony tail.  NO ONE has noticed my extensions....I told my hairdresser and she said she would have never guessed unless I said something.  If you get human one's that match your color you can easily use them and it fills things out.  You can cut them to whatever length you need too.  I love mine.    I also wear the front part of my hair pulled back the same way and let the rest hang down with the hair extensions.....it looks good that way.  Better than I anticipated.  Now if I could just get the nerve to wash more than once a week....too scared to lose more hair so I just do once a week. 

If all else fails, add GORGEOUS earrings  and dramatic make up for a distraction...he he!

Yizbieta:  I am with you on the shedding at wash time!  Yikes!  I feel like it has calmed a bit but I can see some thinning around temples/sides when I pull hair back and look.  If I wear it looser, you can't see it.  I have tried to wear more soft/thin headbands so it's more hidden.  Other than that, my hair shedding has been evenly distributed.  No bald spots or anything. 

• sebm9
    edited May 2011

yizbieta: it's not too late to treat the neuropathy you are experiencing. L-Glutamine and acupuncture (the latter, especially) will be very helpful. And yes, consider icing your fingers/toes during your next treatment(s) to prevent it from increasing. Sounds like you are having a rough day. Some pedialyte might be in order if your electrolytes are out of whack!

Take care,

Susan

btw, if any of you are on facebook, I added a photo album of my cold cap experience. 

• sebm9
    edited May 2011

ArleneA: Lisinipril (one of the ACE inhibitors). Saw the story link when I logged in to this site! I'll let you know what my doctor says.

• arlenea
    edited May 2011

Thanks Susan.  I used to be on Lisinopril but now on another ACE.  I'll be asking too.  I found the link to the article.  Thanks so much for the alert.

• Sashette
    Sashette Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2011

On our evening news tonight they did a story about Latisse and male baldness. Men are using it to treat their thinning hair and it works. Hair restoration Drs are recomending it and overseeing the use. They cited the cost being a negative factor @ $150 for the little bottle. They showed men squirting it on their scalp... They also showed a basebal hat with lights in it. The hat cost was 3k and they said that worked well for thinning hair too. Latisse is starting a formal study using their product for head hair thinning.

• arlenea
    edited May 2011

Interesting story about the Latisse!  I need to get some for my lashes which are still there but I'm hearing from everyone that they tend to fall out after chemo.

• cmksocal
    edited May 2011

Livcar - I used a curling iron and hair spray  for a formal event that occurred between my 3rd and 4th chemo treatment.  Curling iron was on the lowest setting and it was enough to smooth and gently flip under the ends of my hair.  I had a collar-length page boy cut.  Just a light hair spray worked to keep my bangs in place. (I really like Kendra products).  I don't believe my hair suffered any ill effects.

Colleen

• arlenea
    edited May 2011

Morning everyone:

Passed the worst of my post-chemo yuckies.  Those 3-4 days after treatment are the pits....fortunately, I had just minor bone pain and major tired, light nausea but no throwing up...nothing a compazine didn't take care of.  Hoping #4 is my last!

Have a great day everyone!

Arlene

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2011

Good to hear Arlene!  Hopefully you are finished.  When will you find out? 

I'm mentally preparing for my first on Tuesday.  Take care.  Debby

• arlenea
    edited May 2011

Hey Debbie:  Insurance dragging their feet on approving the MUGA which should determine (between the MUGA and opinion of the cardio doctor) if I can go back on Herceptin.  If so, June 6th will be #4 and FINAL.  I'm so excited.

Good luck to you too!  You will do fine and as some on here have said, if they gave you prescriptions for things...TAKE them. 

Arlene

• LivCar
    edited May 2011

ok Penguin sisters ... how about this as a solution to summer thinning hair.  think we could rock this look??

• LivCar
    edited May 2011

thanks Colleen and Maria for the styling advice. i'm hanging on to your every word!!!

• nupinkie18
    nupinkie18 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Can-d where do u get these cold caps? I start chemo 2morrow.
  • arlenea
    edited May 2011

Nu:  Doubtful you will have your caps by tomorrow.  Google cold caps or go to

http://www.msc-worldwide.com/indexusa.html

You can get all the information on the Penguin caps here.

You could delay your first chemo as I think it is one of the most important ones with the caps.  I'm using Elasto Gels which are working but probably not nearly as well as the Penquins's.

Good luck and welcome. 

Arlene

• LivCar
    edited May 2011

Has anyone used the Nioxin shampoos and vitamins?

• mdg
    edited May 2011

LivCar:  Love the photo...don't know that I can pull that off without looking strange....I like it though.  I can definately do big sunglasses.......maybe that will distract the ugly hair look. 

• arlenea
    edited May 2011

LivCar:  Glad you asked that question because I am curious about the Nioxin shampoos too.

• cmksocal
    edited May 2011

Just had a shot of lemoncello to commenorate the first anniversay of the day and time I received the call that I had breast cancer!  And I am doing with hair!

Colleen

• DebRox
    DebRox Member Posts: 141
    edited May 2011

Congrats cmksocal! 

I look forward to that day as I am only just about to start my chemo journey next week.  TCx4.  I am expecting 9 weeks of downtime where I probably won't dress up or go out much - especially since I won't really be able to do my hair and will most likely wear do-rags and scarves to cover the unwashed hair.  I will be schelping back and forth to gym, grocery store etc.  Nothing fancy.

How is your hair doing now?  Did you end up with a lot of new regrowth? 

• mdg
    edited May 2011

Debrox....when do you start? Good luck girl! Keep us posted.

• Sashette
    Sashette Member Posts: 75
    edited May 2011

Cmksocal. Congratulations!!

Livcar. I love the picture. I was told the way to make the scarves stay on and not slip around is to use double sided tape on the forehead. I purchased some from the lingerie store, it is supposed to be skin friendly.

Debrox. Good luck.

I have become a little hair obsessed. One of my now oft used phrases is 'they have nice hair '. Speaking of nice hair , on Oprah show yesterday Ralph Lauren interview- wasn't Ricky Laurens hair beautiful - she might be in late 60s with a yummy full head of hair and flowing locks.