Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Cold Caps Users Past and Present, to Save Hair

Comments

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited November 2010

mrserbelding - some women have started with the caps after the first session.  Frank Fronda can give you more information.  Also, what type of chemo is your Mother receiving?  The Peguin Cold Cap web site (google peguin cold caps) has a list of the chemo treatments that the Cold Caps work for.

Colleen

• cmksocal
    edited November 2010

sashasz3  - I was searching this thread for something else and saw this post and thought of you:  Jill1965 Mar 30, 2010 08:21 am  .  It includes a photo of her after #3 TCH treatments; we should all look so good when we are not doing chemo!

Colleen

• cmksocal
    edited November 2010

I was just at the penguin cold cap site and there is now a section for "American" users and it includes a series of phone numbers to call for information.  The site says that since the Good Morning America story aired, they are receiving LOTS of calls.

yah -- the word is getting out.

Colleen

• SusansGarden
    SusansGarden Member Posts: 754
    edited November 2010

Oh no! I hope they don't run out of caps if chemo ends up being in my near future.  I say that with as a "joke"... but I'm kinda half serious!! 

• jpmercy
    jpmercy Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2010

Susan, if you end up needing Chemo i am done with mine Jan 5th that will probably be hte week you will start since it is usally 5-6 weeks after surgery! i think sometimes you send them off to the next person and not to the rep but im not sure! dont worry im sure it will all be figured out if you need them! :)

• cheyenna
    cheyenna Member Posts: 119
    edited August 2013

hi all, i am done with my chemo!!! yay!!! i have 14 caps, im in northern cali, im so glad to be done, no rads for me!!! ill be calling Frank Fronda AC x 4 and Taxol x 11, a very long road!!!

love to all

chey

• sashasz3
    sashasz3 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2010

Thanks for the reply--I just spoke to my colorist--we may try henna--it too is sort of temp--but it is something--I am a blonde--I have used the "mascara type" coverups--they are a pain--but--they may become my best friend!!  If anyone has more ideas I am willing to try--I am going to use the Davines line produts--no sulfates for my shampoo---I hope that is safe??

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited November 2010

Yeah Chey!

I know it has been a difficult time for you...Congratulations!

It is such a "love/hate" relationship to finally send those Caps off to someone else who needs them...

• shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    edited November 2010

mrserbelding- I sent you a PM. Hang in there. It gets better.

I love seeing how the word is getting out!!! It is great to have hair. To those who asked if it works for TCH, yes, yes , yes!!! I finished my chemo in March. I still have all my hair. I just got it cut (trimmed) yesterday. No one would ever know I did chemo if I didn't tell them and that is just how I want it.

Good luck to everyone!! It will be over before you know it!!!

• sebm9
    sebm9 Member Posts: 488
    edited November 2010

Yay Chey!!!!!!!! Wooo hooooo!!!!!!!!! I'm celebrating with you!

xo

Susan 

• cmksocal
    edited November 2010

CHEY   Congrats on being done!  Time to do the Penguin graduation march -- all the way to the shipping outlet to return the caps!

Colleen

• gmp300
    gmp300 Member Posts: 196
    edited November 2010
    Congratulations Chey!!!  Yippee Yi Yeah!! You did it!!  Your an inspiration to all!!  send those caps back!!!   the Volumizer is on the way!!  (((HUGS)))
  • sashasz3
    sashasz3 Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2010

Thanks Drim---I know they say no color--My chemo starts in mid Dec--I have a hair appt---in two weeks--think I can sneek in one more coloring?????

• SusansGarden
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the info Jennifer!  I think that would be pretty neat to "inherit" the caps from someone on the board. Smile
  • sebm9
    sebm9 Member Posts: 488
    edited August 2013

Hi Susansgarden, I inherited my caps -- and coolers, thermometers, gloves, etc. -- from a woman on the board, and another woman on the board inherited the caps -- and the coolers, thermometers, gloves, etc. -- from me. We signed our names and good luck wishes in the coolers as we passed them along. Ironically, the caps and gear have now landed with one of my neighbors! (Not on the board but in the UCSF study.)

Smile

Cheers,

Susan 

• Lucky60
    Lucky60 Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2010

Hi All: I'm 20 days past first TC treatment and still have my hair! Yahoo! Well, a little shedding the past few days and thinning near my left ear, but I don't think it's noticeable. I keep thinking the average person has 110,000 hairs on their head, so I THINK I'm OK, losing maybe a couple hundred a day. Does the shedding continue the whole time or just the 2nd-3rd week after each treatment? Mine are 3 weeks apart and I'm so excited to go in there tomorrow with hair (I think the nurses thought we were a little nuts last time). I got some gel pads to strap on my hands and feet too this time, to help w/ neuropathy (more work for my helpers!) It seems less scary now too, knowing what to expect. Thanks, everyone.

• EAW1
    EAW1 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010

i am seven weeks out from 4 treatments of TC.  Is it normal to still have hair shedding? When will this end? i feel like i will always be in the paranoid frame of mind that the hair will never stop shedding beyond what is normal.

• shadow2356
    edited November 2010

I had shedding for about 6 weeks after chemo. I didn't know it at the time but I did lose a lot by my ears. I didn't really know it until it started coming back in because it was all at the hairline. Now it is coming back in a bit grayer. I just finally dyed it yesterday. The spots where I lost it are still not noticable to anyone but me. I also lost my eyebrows and eyelashes but not until after I completed chemo. I did 6 treatments. Since you only did 4 this may not happen to you.

I also am doing herceptin. It doesn't cause hair loss but it does slow the regrowth.

Good luck!!

• cmksocal
    edited November 2010

I am almost 8 weeks past chemo and I have lost more eye lashes/eye brows in the past week than I lost during chemo!  Certainly didn't expect this.

Colleen

• shadow2356
    edited November 2010
    cmksocal- That is about when mine came out too. The only good part is that they started growing back almost as soon as the finished coming out. Mine are still thinner than they were but I think that is because of the herceptin.
  • EAW1
    EAW1 Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2010

i didnt lose any brows or eyelashes probably because i used so much latisse on both eyelashes and brows but are you still shedding from the hair on your head more than normal?

• Lucky60
    edited November 2010

OK, two treatments of taxotere and cytoxin down; at Day 24 out from first chemo and still shedding quite a bit--is this normal? I had thought it would slow down by now, but when I comb it (like once/day), I get quite a bit as well as finding it all throughout the day on my clothes...yikes! I think it's mostly coming from underneath the back and around the ears still...the nurse told me some people still keep their hair until the 3rd week (w/o cold caps), so I'm still worried. Thanks for any info on what is normal with the caps.

• michcon
    michcon Member Posts: 121
    edited November 2010

Lucky60 -  I think if it's not coming out in clumps you should be safe. There's a difference between shedding and clumps. I'm 5 days out of my 4th treatment and hair is still here, just shedding. It does seem to always ben on my clothes or on my arm. I think the shedding will continue throughout. I think I'll constantly be worried until it's over. But, this site is proof that it works. So many have saved their hair.

• Lucky60
    edited November 2010
    Michcon--thanks--I'm trying not to obsess about it, but it's hard! Embarassed Hopefully I won't look like the happy face soon! Lucky
  • jpmercy
    edited November 2010

I dont know if this helps in regards to shedding but here's is my theory....i never combed my hair prior to chemo...always brushed and always emptying my brush every few days and there was always lots of hair in the brush....combing my hair now b/c of caps and since it is a wide tooth comb the shedding is more apparent....i see it instantly where i used to pull it out of the brush evey few days...seeing it off the comb makes it appear as though it is a lot but i think it is probably no different than normal shedding...also since we arent brushing our hair it is just naturally shedding on clothes and things b/c our normal shedding strans are not being pulled out with a brush like usual...not sure if this makes any sense but it makes me not freak out! hope my theory sheds some light!! hang in there Lucky....your going to make it through!! :)

• SusansGarden
    edited November 2010

That's a good theory, Jennifer!  I will start paying attention to how much hair comes out in my brush on a daily/weekly basis now.  That way.. if I do need chemo..I can test the theory and hopefully ease my (and anyone else's) fears. 

• zlota
    zlota Member Posts: 40
    edited November 2010

I had my first TCH treatment last week and used the caps, brrrrrrrrrrrrr, 5 more to go, my question is did any of you guys had headaches, they pretty bad I don't know if its from drugs or the cold when I called the nurses they blamed my headache on the caps, its going away now but the first 3-4 days I was thinking about quiting with all this, Also ant recomendaditons on what shampoo to use, thank you all

• Lmflynn
    Lmflynn Member Posts: 273
    edited November 2010

Hi everyone,

I start my 4 x TC on Thursday morning.  I'm pretty much all set -- need to go buy gloves for the dry ice... not a good thing to forget!  I'm so scared -- so nervous... mostly about the chemo but also hoping the caps work for me.  I have done everything people I've talked or corresponded with (Frank, Susan, Geri, etc.) have told me -- no aluminum deoderant, non-sulfate shampoo (going to wash it tonight for the last time until a few days after) etc.    I know that they will be cold ... I keep thinking I can do anything for 8 hours... heck I used to run marathons.... now that's misery...:-)  I'll make it I keep telling myself.  My sister and good friend will be there with me..  my sister went thorugh the same treatment last year (without the caps) and did OK...

See the babbling... I'm nervous and looking for an outlet... will keep checking in ... thanks to all.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited November 2010

zlota~

I had headaches a couple days after chemo and I thought they were due to the chemo.  I did not have any headaches the day of the chemo...hope the next one goes smoothly.

Lmflynn~

Have faith in yourself that you can do this...

Wearing the Cold Caps actually took my mind off the chemo because we were so busy working on the Caps.  Will think of you on Thursday...

• jpmercy
    edited November 2010

Lmflynn

i was a marathon runner too....just think of each cap as one mile down...you will get through without a problem, i was TERRIFIED of chemo and the caps but i have weekly taxol and have been wearing htem weekly for 7 hours...i no longer need xanax or advil before just strap those babies on keep changing 'em and it will be over before you know it!!! good luck! :)