Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited February 2010

Just did the rough version of 2009 taxes AND.........!  I think I have almost the same refund as last year.  About 2000.  whew!  maybe I can breathe!  I can pay my 900.00 LE out of pocket(for this year) and maybe a couple other bills off!  I was worried as I had 12 weeks of disability pay in 2009 supplemented w/ some PTO to equal my usual check for income.....BUT the disability pay or third party sick pay was not taxed.....but it's counted as income?......Melanie?  my acct friend where the heck are you?  Am I correct?  Anyhoo turbotax  helped me out.  I had enough medical expenses that amounted to... I forgot whatever percentage of AGI so it did help....................SOooooooooooo:

2010 Ladies(or 2009 ladies go back and review)......keep those receipts and stay more organized than me!  I have been in a panic as so much of this is foreign, unknown info and scary to me!..... off the top of my head here is what was included in those deductible expenses and I may be forgetting some but...( seriously we all know every bit helps):

All your downpayments or fees paid to drs. for example...you make a 5000.00 or 8000.00 downpayment pre stage 1 and you pay 300 dollars per month -until it's paid off....what's paid in 2009 or 2010 is what you can claim(regardless of the year incurred acording to what I read)

Also fees paid for therapies like physical therapy/lymphedema therapy plus the bras I bought from them-THANK god she billed for them so I have proof.

Your hospital fees.  I think I paid 100/night for St Charles-that's separate.

your transportation....there is a reimbursement for miles if you drove OR other transportation fees(airfare, etc-I'm thinking rental car if you do that?)

lodging is only reimbursed up to 50 bucks/night but I am taking credit for every night I was in the Marriott.

medical supplies- I didn't do so good on this one.

They asked for prescription costs....and I forgot I paid for keflex 750 post op both times which is pricey and wasn't a copay rather 50 or 60 bucks a pop for me.

I'm just sayin!.............Girls I guesstimated but will go back......those of you going forward KEEP receipts- it pays to keep track of this stuff and take credit where credit is due.

Since I wasn't taxed for 3 mos of income(disability pay) BUT had enough expense I came out OK! Not that I believe the federal govt should be used as a savings acct BUT I'd rather have $ back- sheesh right now I can't pay!

Gosh!  Knowing this.... going forward.....since I'm making scheduled payments and going to pay LE therapy.....hmmmm....maybe I should be thinking about a Nola holiday for f/u tweak on my issue later this year, that truly is..... hopefully.... just cosmetic, still waiting to see....newly kinesiotaped today it does soften so praying no necrosis....time will tell!  regardless, they still look pretty good!  Tomorrow is post week 10 from stage 2.

The sun came out today and it has been heaven, a bit cool but no grey, dreary wet cold(as in the last 2 mos seemingly continual!)....How do you northern girls do it?  Looking forward to getting outside!

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2010

ok, so I dont understand the tax thing. I get keeping receipts which is no problem, but how do you claim them on your taxes? I should probably ask my mother this since she is an accountant but I havent claimed any of my medical bills and I've been paying them for 3 years now.

This upcoming year will definitely be significantly higher than in the past due to NOLA so my hubby would be happy to hear about tax write offs!

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

Greetings

Below is what my accountant sent to me. I am not clear from what he said on how payment plans are treated (I have several going on right now) and I never thought about transportation to/from medical appointments. The total medical expense has to be above X percentage of your income before it is deducted, and only the amount above that percenatge is deducted. Of course, the base depends on your income, so it varies for everyone. I believe you also include the portion of your medical insurance preimums that you pay. But I am NOT an accountant.

In response to your voice mail, any medical expenses that you incurred in 2009 should be deductible; including those charged on a credit card to be paid in 2010. If there are other arrangements for payment, the expenses are generally only deductible in the year paid. An exception might be a loan or credit line that was used to pay for expenses incurred in 2009 that will be paid over some future time. The Schedule A (itemized deductions) "floor" for medical expenses, based on your 2008 income is approximately $15,000. If you do not have at least that amount you will not receive any deduction unless your income is substantially less in 2009 than it was in 2008. All costs for doctors, dentists, prescriptions, eyeglasses, hearing aides and possibly transportation are eligible deductions. There are restrictions on any cosmetic surgery costs.

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

Greetings

I am home from Las Vegas. Thanks for your well wishes. Since there may be outlyers like me with respect to our experience post surgery, I'll share what happened during the past 24 hours. Actually, it is all good!

From week 4 thru week 6, I started having 150 cc /day from each drain. They had turned yellowish prior to week 4, but from week 4 thru 6, they were rose -colored. Whenever my drains were not flowing well, a large bump appeared above one buttocks and when this area was swollen, I had consdierable pain in that leg when walking.  

Yesterday I had my 6 week appointment. MY PS said I definetly had seromas, took both drains out (yes, at 150/day) and put me in a size small compression garment. I am not a small woman. (For those of you old enough to remember, I feel like Scarlet O'Hara when she puts her corset on after having a baby). The first 24 hours without drains have not been so bad. I was certain the bump would appear instantly  and that I would be in a lot of pain. It has not so far.  I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, but today was definitly tolerable. I am scheduled to see the PS on Monday, when I assume he will need to drain the seromas. The Hopkins guys do not use a compression garment immediately after surgery, like NOLA does.

The new girls are fine, albeit larger than I want and one is definitly larger than the other. He says they can both be made smaller with a little lipo in stage 2. So there I go, from totally paniced on Sunday to pretty happy on Wednesday. And I slept on my side last night! Life is good.

Regards to all

M.

• LizR
    LizR Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2010

MargitN - Glad to hear you are doing better!  Sleeping on your side -nsounds like a lot of progress!

Continued good wishes to all of the women recoverying from surgery and best of luck to those about to have surgery.  I am almost in count-down mode myself (still about 7 weeks to go). 

Best wishes to all - Liz

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Glad to hear you are doing ok Margit.  Hope that everything still feels good tomorrow.

Trishia- Sorry- I didnt explain my rib pain...I remembered Nordy & her Bronchitis & her ribs really killing her (mine arent that bad- As I have had Bronchitis before & cracked my rib from coughing) 

But they are sore...So that is why I have rib pain- This darn Cough/cold.

Pam

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

Baaayyyy, thanks for the update! Glad to hear you are well and happy. Also, happy to hear you loved the Back Max Wedge! I'm leaning on mine now watching TV. LOL. The gift that keeps on giving. 

• dash
    dash Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2010
    Spring! I've already been making plans to keep my wedge in my life when I actually graduate from not needing it to get out of bed! It's truly a wonder!Kiss
  • kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Any input on belly button stitches after a diep?  timing?  They look good, just seemt o be hagning int ehr e.....forever.  I know I'm impatient, since I'm only 4 weeks post-op.  - KC

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

KC I had a lot of glue and gunk in the belly button area. I think at like 6-7 weeks it was mostly resolved. At one point, I did get little Scissors and clipped out some stuff, that helped it look much better and then I stopped focusing so much on it!!! next time I checked, it looked normal again!

It will be good again soon... I bet. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2010

Yep...the belly button gunk took forever to go away! 

Pam~thanks for the update!  That stinks.  It usually is my back that hurts when I cough too much.  

Margit~you sound so much better!  Hopefull the compression will really help. 

• bennetts1
    bennetts1 Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2010

My DIEP is not until May, but I already have gotten my Back Maxx!  I love it!!!  It is getting a lot of use before surgery.  It comes in handy when you are in bed reading!  Thanks for all the advice ladies...keep it coming!

Sandy

• dash
    edited February 2010

Nola ladies, did they let you clip some of your stitches? I have 2 stitch knots that are irritating the skin. One is on top of the belly button and the other is on the top of the (ugly) nipple circle. I don't go back for a couple of weeks and will not make the long trip to NY just for a 5 second clip, clip.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2010

Thinking about you Holtbolt, HelloFromCt and Trainer.  You are going to love your new body.  Just get out of bed and walk and drink plenty of water.  I will be thinking of you and praying for you all.

Bettye

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Bayyyy~ I have not clipped any stitches yet BUT they actually sent me a stitch removal kit to clip stitches and remove the dreaded drains. 

Holtbolt, HelloFromCt and Trainer~ I hope you all have safe travels and that you love your new girls.  Betty is right get up and walk you will feel so much better, tired but better. 

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010

One of my clients today wanted to feel my boobs to feel the difference with the flap breast and the healthy breast!! If that wasn't crazy enough, I let her do it! lol

• plainjane64
    plainjane64 Member Posts: 521
    edited February 2010

We were told ok to clip stitches.....bUt you need to make sure ok w/ your MD's and I wouldn't touch the nipples..............sorry!  better safe than sorry.

GIRLS!  My back max is now going on 3 yrs old and I LOVE it!  Use all pieces usually not together....it was from waaay before all this stuff but was a great all together post stage 1 especially.  I told you I could sell them!  I gave 3 as gifts a couple years ago!

Re:  the taxes...yes it has to be a certain percantage BUT save your info because this is/was a big chunk and anything to help us out right?  seriously...not hard to figure out just save your info chicas...it may help you later!

Gosh so productive today.......I do save receipts, etc just not organized enough....almost nostalgic tonight looking at receipts I DID save over the past 6 mos....sort of fun to relive...but better to clean up and declutter!  I can see the top of my desk!  woo hoo!  first time since two days before stage 2?  in dec!  YIKES!  getting there!

• dash
    edited February 2010

Jamie, thanks and man, how I applaud NOLA for being so smart about educating women to deal with these sorts of things themselves!

Anyone else have any opinions about the stitches? I sent pics to my PS this afternoon with the same Qs and am waiting to hear back tomorrow but I'm just wondering what experience anyone here may have.

edited to add: Jane, we must have posted at the same time, thanks for your answer and as you can see, I am awaiting my PSes answer to this. He understands I can't make a bunch of trips in to see him.

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Jamie - Sorry you are having 'drain pain'~ although I don't think mine is the same as yours, there are times when I get a very sharp pain in my right hip drain - not where the drain comes out  - but in the incision line where (I think) the drain is running parallel to - it does not happen often - but there are times when I cross my right leg over my left - the pain is sharp and intense and just about takes my breath away. There have been a few times where I have gotten up to quickly, and the same thing happens. Again - it does not happen often, and I think that the tubing on the drain is running along some nerve lines that are beginning to regenerate. I hope you get some relief soon!

Today I saw my local PS......he was so impressed with the work that Dr. S did!! (I think he was a bit jealous too!)Laughing About 98% of my surgical glue is gone - and the incision marks are so very thin - another month or two I doubt anyone would notice them!! Amazing work!! My local PS asked what my drain output was - about 50cc's a day, each. He wanted to pull the drains - I said "oh NO, not until I talk to Celeste at the Center!"  Anyway - here are his feelings on the drains............(I learned something today!)............"The drains are put in place when a cavity is created due to surgery, to help get rid of the fluid the body makes trying to fill up the cavity, and they do a good job. Because the drains are suctioning the fluid, they are also collapsing the cavity - and I feel at 3 weeks the cavity has been collapsed enough that the two sides have meshed together and will fuse together as they heal. If the drains are kept in, they do not allow the tissue to mend due to the suctioning power that they have, and the vacuum effect they create. In my practice, I do not let patients keep drains past 3 weeks because the risk of infection outweighs the small amount of fluid they may be collecting."   HMMMM - I understand what he was saying, but, I will follow the guidelines that Dr. S and the Center have put forth - as they are the ones that created these amazing results!! (But I will call Celeste tomorrow!) My PS did remove the hip stitches, as well as one grouping of stitches on my left breast area - WHOOP-WHOOP!!

Holtbolt - HelloFromCT-TrainerTam - You're up!! Best of luck - thoughts and prayers are with you!!

xoxo

LouAnn

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

RE: taking out stitch knots - I was told I could snip these off after the 2 week mark.  Need to gently pull them out and clip between the knot and the skin.  The thread will then disappear inside the skin and dissolve later.  I've done this for many of the knots (not the belly button), and have gotten some good relief.  They have really been irritating.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the well wishes from everyone...getting a little nervous here!  Okay, nervous is an understatement...LOL!  I'm glad to have Holtbolt for a surgery partner--helps with the anxiety level!!  My daughter and I fly out Sunday morning, pre-ops Monday, then Tuesday is the big day.  I hope to be able to say hi soon after surgery with my netbook, even if I have my daughter type for me!  Smile
  • SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2010

Tammy, I echo everyone else's shock at your illness, and am so glad you are recovering and will get to keep your surgery date. This reminds me to remind all of you to check and/or replace the batteries in your carbon monoxide detectors.  My cousin's daughter, husband and their baby came very close to dying a couple of months ago because their alarm didn't sound although the poisonous gas was filling their home.  The fire department officials said they were 30 minutes from death.

Margit, we just returned from Las Vegas today too---we attended the MAGIC apparel show.  We found some very neat "pink" stuff that I am really excited about.

LouAnn, my ab drain was removed when the output was 50cc, and my body could not reabsorb that much fluid, so I developed a seroma.  That was the start of my abdominal problems after stage I DIEP in L.A.    The cavity walls did not collapse and a big mess of scar tissue and fluid developed, which Dr. D removed for me. I had a hole in my abdominal incision that drained for four months.  Don't let anyone but the Center tell you when to remove your drains!

Pam, please email me and let me know what's going on.  I had no internet access for three days, and need an update from you!

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Pam~ My drains didn't put out more fluid but I was up all night and yesterday once I removed the gauze I was bleeding :(.  It was under 20cc this morning so I am thinking that it shouldn't be too much longer.  I hope not because if not you will see me on the news......

LouAnn~ My local PS thought my drains would be out last Friday but I told her that I will gladly wait until they are below the 30cc for 2 days.  I have had seroma's and I would really rather not do that again.

Margit~ It is interesting hearing how different all of the providers are.  I hope you are doing well.

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Well there goes my Theory Jaimeh :o

Im glad they went down- it went down alot!  My drain area started to bleed at about 6 weeks.

Hope you get to pull that drain in a few days.

Pam

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited February 2010

My goodness.

I've just read the book....um, thread you ladies have written here. I am overwhelmed at the amount of information, suggestions, concern, and friendship here.

So here's my story:

Nov 08 unimast, then chemo, rads, tamox.

Onc recommends ooph and prophy mast for the other side due to fam history (I'm post-menopause). I was handling having one breast (not always easily, but sort of OK) but I know there's no way I could handle having nothing. I know I don't have to explain that to you!

I looked into all the options and decided DIEP is the recon I want to have. I have an appt with the ps who is the best in the country for this procedure. Not surprisingly, he's at the hospital that's top for microsurgery in the country.

So...I'm compiling my list of questions (my appt is in one month). I already have 2 pages of questions, thanks to all I've read on this thread. I'd really appreciate it if you would give me ideas for questions to ask - I'm the type of person who needs to know  EVERYTHING so I go into appts "armed".

Thanks

Leah

edited to correct year of surgery.

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Hi Leah,

Who is your PS? 

Ask away...the women on this thread can answer just about any question you have about DIEP, and they are very generous with their help and knowledge.

I'm having bilat DIEP next Tuesday myself and I don't know what I would have done without the information and support on this thread!

Suzanne

• ccbaby
    ccbaby Member Posts: 503
    edited February 2010

Jamie, how long have you had your drains now??

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

3 weeks and 2 days so not that long and it wouldn't be bad if the burning, itching (I sound like a commercial for hemroids) stopped. 

• dash
    edited February 2010

Jamie, it sounds like you might be able to pull the drains by tomorrow morning. They have to be under 25 for 24 hours. So sorry they've been so much trouble!

kcshreve--thanks for the info! That's what I thought, having observed this being done at my first implant recon in 2006 and then observing my PS's nurse doing this at my first checkup to some stitches. Now when I discuss this with her, hopefully today, I can sound confident that I know what I'm doing. Did NOLA send you sterile kits for this, tho? I'm thinking that might be my stumbling block. however I do have access to a great surgical supply store.

• Jaimieh
    edited February 2010

Bayyy~ They do send a sterile kit to you.  Which shocked me when I got it in the mail.. :)