Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

Greetings from the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas

There is a body painting convention here. People walk arond naked except for body paint. It is very inresting.  The offered to paint my breasts. I declines and assured thm that they had never seen brests like mine...

The scooter has been a godsend. It has also been an interesting experience. Last year, I wrote a training course in aging in place, accessibility and universal design. Writing a course and experiencing life from a wheelchair/scooter perspetive are 2 diferent things.

I have drain issues that seem unique from anythung I have read. This goes way beyond being juicy. For the first month they were slowly declining and turning straw colored, and then they increasd to abougt 120-150/day, turned rose colored, and the area above the donor site on one side keeps getting swollen and hard, then seems to drain and then gets swollen and hard again, day after day. My outside left thigh is visiby swollen and I can feel the pressure in it.  Today my drains weren't workng for several hours--don't know why, they sem to be working again, and  oith feet got very swollen. I was terrified to fy home tomorrow. I totally freaked out.

I talked to the PS resident, who assured me that I wouldn't explode on the plane. He doesn't know what is happening and assumes they will do sonograms in Tuesday when I see the surgeon. They are clearly not going to pull them, even though it is 6 weeks, at 150/day.

But I am convincd this is not simply an issue of give it more time. Something weird is going on.  will keep you posted.

margit

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2010

Drain amounts depend on where the drain is. Breast and Belly are 2 days in a row below 20cc. butt are 2 days below 30cc, but YES you need to call. color and how long they've been in factor it too. 

Margit, that does sound like a lot for 6 weeks out. Hmmm. Let us know what you find out. 

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2010

Margit - are  you running a temp at all? Does the fluid have a smell to it at all? My one drain got infected and I knew immediately because it started to emit a slight smell from the "grenade" when I would empty it AND the output increased, AND the color changed from straw to strawberry! I never did get a temp - so more of a local infection, than something that became systemic, however, those are some signs that may give you a heads up. Hang in there - I hope you have some answers soon.

Holtbolt - Holy cow... are you flying a week from today? Wow. I can't believe it is coming up so fast! 

I hope you are all having a wonderful Valentine's Day! 

• HelloFromCT
    HelloFromCT Member Posts: 155
    edited February 2010

Hi everybody,

Well, one week from today (this morning actually) we will be flying to NOLA.  My pre-ops are Monday, then surgery Tuesday.  I am looking forward to meeting Holtbolt and I hope TrainerTam too. 

Thanks to everyone on this thread for providing so much info and support.  If it hadn't been for this site, I don't know what I would have done!  I never would have been able to make an informed decision.  I am so happy that I had all of your experiences and advice to bring me to the decision to go to NOLA for surgery.

Suzanne

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Hello - I agree with you that reading this line was critical in my being able to make an informed decision regarding DIEP and to get a feel for it.  Locally, my BS and her nurse are unsupportive of this procedure, saying it's outdated, old, and high risk (which just tells you that our local guys are not good enough to persuade them otherwise).  Once I realized I was interested in it, I read everything here and gleaned so much from the personal experiences and advice.  Thanks to each of you who has been so descriptive and helpful - KC

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

KC - your BS and nurse say this procedure is "outdated, old, and high risk?"  No disrespect to them, but I would say they are the ones that are mis-informed! Please don't let them dissuade you - I am still just amazed at the results I have had.

LouAnn

• BreastCancerDiva
    BreastCancerDiva Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2010

Wow.... I can't keep up with you ladies!    Lots of posts.  

Spring, if you would, add me to the list:  

Mar 25 - BreastCancerDiva - Stage 2 (Dr. D) - St Charles Surgical Hospital, NOLA

Nordy:   We'll be there at the same time!

• Nordy
    edited February 2010

swastew - I am with you! Outdated and OLD??? Are you kidding me? I think somebody needs to do their homework! And it is not you, KC!

Diva - woooohoooo!!! Let's go have a party in Cat's room!!! (Kidding, Cat - but I imagine we will be stopping by to say, "Hi!" 

• MargitN
    MargitN Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2010

Greetings

I heard back from my Plastic Surgeon. He seems not to be worried and I will see him on Tuesday, so I will know more then. When I fell apart this afternoon, and friends at the convention asked if I needed help, I realized how hard is to to ask for, and accept, help. These are colleagues who have seen me as a leader, and today they saw me as as a mess. I guess I am OK with that, and I hope they are too.

Regards

Margit

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2010

Hotbolt, HelloFromCT and TrainerTam - the time is flying by.  You guys will do great!  I'm 4 weeks behind you and can't wait to get rid of the protheses.  Every time I put them on, I think soon I can put these away for good and have real ones!   WOOHOO! 

Nordy & Diva - bring it on.  Party in my room! 

• mileha
    mileha Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2010

New to this board, but coming over from YSC.

Trying to get scheduled at NOLA. Talked to Liz on Friday and they are reccomending a stacked DIEP-tummy and hip. Anyone else have that?

Also, I have United Healthcare. Does anyone know which hospital they use? 

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2010

Hi Mileha,

I had a stacked DIEP on one side, but I know there are gals here who had what you're having. They'll chime in soon!

• mileha
    edited February 2010

Thanks. Anxious to hear about how it went, recovery etc. I'm planning on coming back to work around week 4. Am I crazy?

• Gin52
    Gin52 Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2010

Hi Ladies - I have felt all the prayers and good thoughts!!  Thanks so much.  They had to remove a lot of necrotic tissue from the right breast, so they took tissue from the lattisimus area of my back.  Have 3 drains.  Had some problems with the tape - skin tears and blisters, so having to have home health come change dressings on my back now that I am home.  The skin that was radiated on the right breast does not want to behave, so the whole bottom front of the breast is basically a big "blood blister", so still having issues on that side that will continue for a couple of weeks.  Everyone expects it to resolve ok, though.....just getting tired of waiting.  Just very tight and sore in my back, and think as much of it is due to the tape damage as the incision.,  Will be home a few more weeks, so will try to get caught up on reading here.  Hoping everyone else is doing fine!  Dont want my "issues" to scare anyone planning on these procedures....still think it is the best way to go.  Think most of my issues go back to my radiation from my 1st cancer....  Anywy, hanging in there, and wanted to check in with all of you.  Thanks again!!

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2010

Mileha,

I have United HealthCare Choice Plus and I used St. Charles.  Good luck to you.  It was very easy for me.  I had Diep.

Ginnie

So sorry for all your problems.  I pray this will heal in record time.  Know that we are all thinking about you and praying for you.

Bettye

• mileha
    edited February 2010

Thanks BettyE. Can I ask how much you had to pay out of pocket?

Has anyone else stayed at Hope Lodge? 

• Melonda
    Melonda Member Posts: 121
    edited February 2010

Yay mileha, glad you found your way over here! I know the stacked DIEP girls will cchime in soon.

Jaimieh stayed in Hope Lodge most recently, but there are a few who stayed there on this thread...search Hope Lodge too and you will find some really good posts. Let me know ifyou can't find any and I will bump the ones I've read.

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2010

mileha,

I sent you a PM

• macksix6
    macksix6 Member Posts: 125
    edited February 2010

Ginny I am so sorry that you have had these issues. I hope that from here on out things will be easier for you. Praying for a good and speedy recovery for you.

Mileah welcome to the board. I had a bilateral stacked diep/hip and I had a very good recovery. I was also in pretty good shape to start with as I am an avid tennis player, which I think played a big role in my recovery. I did go back to work (desk job) at week 3 part-time and full-time at 6 weeks. If it were just a diep 4 weeks might work but you may be pushing it for a stacked diep.

• Springtime
    edited February 2010

Mileah, I also had the Stacked DIEP / lumbar, (4 flaps total, both belly and butt) and so did LouAnn. We all did well. You will have a totally transformed body! flat tummy, lifted butt, streamlined all over, and of course, lovely boobs!!! You are in the best of hands! It is not a cake walk, phase 1 had some tough days, but it is doable. You are never really in "pain", I would say, you are more uncomfortable than anything. But it gets better every day. I was also in good shape and lapped the halls pretty much right away. I agree with Macksix6 that this helps with recovery. I had off 8 weeks for phase 1 (I needed 6 for sure, but 8 was great) and I had off 4 for phase 2 - but I had a lot of work done compared to others!!

Gin, WOW, you have been through the ringer!!! Hang in there lady. Holy Cow. You win the "prize" for the most crap going on!! Lucky you!!!

BCDiva, I added your specs to the list above. Thanks for typing it out so perfectly! Just a cut and paste for me!!! Yay!!!

• Nordy
    edited February 2010

Gin - I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope that you heal more quickly this time.

Mileha - I stayed at the Hope Lodge both before and after surgery. It was great, but definitely out of the way a bit. If I had to do it again, I would stay there before the surgery then afterward I think I would opt for someplace more central. It was just a bit confining because, besides crossing the street and walking along the river - there is not much to see and a trip to the quarter will cost you $30 each way by cab. However - the staff at the lodge will drop you off where the St. Charles Ave. trolley line ends - so you could grab it from there. The staff is amazing and the rooms are clean... and it is free for those of us who are having reconstruction - which is totally awesome. So - other than those few drawbacks - it is perfectly great. 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2010

Recovery - I'm at 4 weeks tomorrow and will resume working part time this week.  I can tell a big difference in feeling more solid between week 3 and week 4, but everyone is definitely different.  Plus, I had just a basic DIEP, not a stacked. I can't comment on the recuperation of a stacked.  One thing I do know, there is a beginning and an end to the recovery time, and we can then move on.  yeah! - KC

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Mileha~ I stayed at hope Lodge and after surgery we rented a car for a couple of days.  It was wonderful and enterprise will come and pick you up..lol..  (I sound like a comercial) but it was less than $25 per day.   We are planning on staying there for stage 2 in April and I will do the same thing with renting a car.  It allowed us to see most of the city at my own pace.  If I felt bad all we had to do was get back to the car and then we could go back to the Lodge. 

So Beth called me today and I asked the Drain question and Dr S wants the drains to be under 30cc's for 2 days.  So I still am at about 50cc's so I have a ways to go.  I did develop a new allergy to neosporin which is a shame because it was helping with the drain burning. 

• Trishia
    Trishia Member Posts: 361
    edited February 2010

Jamieh~I developed an allergy to it to.  Then the site got infected.  My body hates foreign material in it I swear. 

• Warrior517
    Warrior517 Member Posts: 240
    edited February 2010

Louann...way to go..pulling your own drain. I know many of you warriors have done that..impressed!

Minnesota..so glad your visit went so well. I know that feeling when you get in the car and cry..I am just so happy that your tears were tears of relief!! Congrats!!

• swastew
    swastew Member Posts: 110
    edited February 2010

Jamie - try Polysporin - my dermatologist told me a few years ago that 30% of people are allergic to Neosporin (after my daughter had a huge reaction to it)

Margit - Hoping you made it home OK and your flight was uneventful!

GIN - Thoughts are with you - man you have been through it!! Heal quickly!!

Mileah - I had a stacked DIEP/ 'love handle area' procedure  a little less than 3 weeks ago - I am feeling well - but my body lets me know when I do to much. Walking 2.5 miles is good - over 3 is to much! Depending on what type of job you have - you may be able to go back after 4 weeks - my job requires me to be able to lift 50 lbs over my head - so I am out for quite a while (woo-hoo - mini vacation!!) Cool  As far as insurance, I also have UHC - but keep in mind, there are many different policies (just as there are many different models of Ford cars and trucks). My insurance did not allow me to stay at St. Charles, so I was at Fairway, which is nice, just way out of the way.....it would have been better for my caregivers for me to be at St. Charles, as they would have had more to do while I was in the hospital. Lanita was very good at keeping me informed regarding what insurance would, and would not approve.  Good luck - I am still in awe when I look down and see that I have cleavage!!!! 

As far as recovery, although there are days that I don't feel like walking - once I get started I am so glad I did - I feel much better after my walks - it has helped with the soreness and stiffness.

xoxo

LouAnn

• Dejaboo
    Dejaboo Member Posts: 761
    edited February 2010

Gin-You have really been through alot!  I am sending healing thoughts your way.

LOL- Jaimeih- I could hear the Commercial as I was reading your Sentence!

Holtbolt- What a nice thing to say-Im glad I have helped you along the waiting way.

Pam

• Cat1
    Cat1 Member Posts: 128
    edited February 2010

Ginne - Sorry to hear about all the problems.  Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping for a quick recovery this time around!  Hang in there!

Nordy - you mention the Hope staff would drop you off at the St Charles line.  How far is that from the Lodge?  We rode the trolley all the way around in October and that would be a great way to get around when staying at the lodge before surgery but didn't know how far it was for getting back to the lodge.  I want to have a good dinner Monday before my surgery (plus it's my birthday) and really didn't want to take a cab because I knew it would be expensive.  Plus something I was wondering is the area around the lodge pretty safe to walk around?  I know some areas aren't! 

• Springtime
    edited February 2010

Carolynn, are you out there???

Your surgery was last week, wondering how you are doing?? 

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited February 2010

Cat the other way we got to the street car was to ride the local bus.  We got on the bus at a corner acrossed from Dot's diner and then rode it to the end of the line (about 10 min) and then we got off right where the street car is located at.  The only problem that it runs on the hour and it only runs until 9pm.