Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• heatherbless
    heatherbless Member Posts: 55
    edited February 2011

Hi ladies:  does anyone know what hotels are closest to fairway hospital?  Just getting some feedback on that--I am thinking the Hope Lodge might kinda be too far--like out in the stix--and I would prefer to be closer in.  My surgery is April 29th unless they can get me a closer date.  Thanks for your feedback--heather

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited February 2011

Laughlines-I hope that your doctor was able to give you some reassurance this afternoon. Sending you positive vibes~~

Jamieh-Thank you so much for that offer. I will PM you to find out the details of where you live and when we can arrange to meet : )

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2011

Thank you ladies. I really appreciate the encouragement as I've just been queasy with anxiety. My onc wants me to have an ultrasound or MRI this week to check it out. He was kind of on the fence about which to do, but I think I'm going to ask for the ultrasound first since the lump is easy to locate. It's a round pea-sized lump right on the edge of my flap near my armpit. I did have fat injections into that area at Stage 2 so I am praying that it's necrosis.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I find out more!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2011

Laughlines, I woke up thinking about you! I hope and pray that it is fat necrosis also. When I first had my mastectomy, I had several pea sized lumps in my armpit - they all ended up being scar tissue from the axillary dissection. I still have a few little grainy lumps under there. SO, hoping that yours are also either fat necrosis or scar tissue... or something other totally benign thing!  (((((hugs)))))

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited February 2011

Laughlines - fingers crossed for fat necrosis!  Hope you can get an u/s today. Hang in there! 

Kathryn

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited February 2011

heather, I remember looking for hotels when I thought I was going to be at Fairway last November. Seems there are a few up by the interstate--Courtyard, Hampton Inn, I think. And an Applebee's right there, too. It's all about 3 miles from the hospital. You will probably need to google that.

I think the Hope Lodge is about 45 minutes from Fairway.

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited February 2011

Thinking of you today Laughlines! Hang in there girl...

Marcia

• amym159
    amym159 Member Posts: 173
    edited February 2011

Laughlines, sending tons of positive vibes, prayers and hugs your way. How nerve racking!

Dbdaze, I got a Marena a few weeks ago (am 7 weeks post stage 2 now) and  I really like it. Your pre-surgery measurements are probably about right, but I guess there's no way to know for sure. But since you'll wear the garment they give you there for awhile, it would probably work well to wait and do measurements when you are ready to wear it. Mine got to me quickly. One suggestion: call them to figure out the right size. The sizing online is a little misleading and is different from what is on the package. I had to exachange mine for a different size. The one I got it item LGS2 .

Amy

• journey
    journey Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2011

Laughlines , praying for you!

• BettyeE
    BettyeE Member Posts: 136
    edited February 2011

Laughlines,

I have a small hard thingy under my cancer side arm also. It is very painful. Dr. D unbundled some nerves in stage 1. The pain was gone when I woke up. It has gradually come back, but I have been scanned MRIed and every thing else you can think of. I glow in the dark and set off the alarm at the airport! HA. What I want to tell you is mine is not cancer. They do not know what it is but it is not cancer. I also think an MRI is much more sensitive. At least at MDA they seem to think so. If anything is suspected they order an MRI. Still praying it is nothing!

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2011

Laughlines thinking of you!!! Please let us know what happens! Many of us here have had lumps and things. Mine and others was fat necrosis, others have had "oil cycsts". As Nordy said - benign dance!!

Heather, your husband or other famiy member can stay in the hospital with you for free while you are there overnight. You don't need a hotel during that time Before and after your surgery, you can stay at Hope Lodge for free (it is way out, and nothing much around it!) or any of the hotels in downtown New Orleans. For all your appointments, and to and from airport and hospital, you get free limo service. YOu do not need to get a hotel near Fairway hospital.  It is more fun to be in or near the city! Just my opinion!

We have not heard from Liz, have we?? Liz, we are thinking of you!!!!!!!!!!! 

• kcshreve
    kcshreve Member Posts: 349
    edited February 2011

Toomuch - I was a D prior to Stage 1 and a very full, swollen D afterwards, maybe more.  I was kind of disappointed because I had wanted to be smaller.  Dr S explained the need for size initially, since they can do a reduction at Stage 2.  At Stage 2, I asked to be a full B/small C.  That's exactly what I got, it's amazing how it worked out like that.  So, if you can determined what it is you want, they'll do their best to get you there.  If anyone can do it, it's these surgeons at NOLA.

• Xfitgirl
    Xfitgirl Member Posts: 70
    edited February 2011

Hi everyone! I'm baaaaaack.

Surgery went as scheduled. Dr D went to town with me. Scar revisions, fipples and LOTS of lipo! He told my hubby that he "sucked until the cows came home".

I had a little vomiting spell last night and I was freezing. It's likely my blood pressure dropped too much  (it's usually low anyway). I stayed in bed this morning and after lunch got up to take a shower. Two nurses were in the bathroom with me and the next thing I know I felt myself fainting. I woke up to see Dr Sullivan and 6 nurses around me. They had brought the crash cart in too!

I have always had low blood presure so a little extra stress can easily cause me to faint. My DH wasn't too worried as he has seen it all before. 

We got to taste some King Cake today. One of the nurses brought it in and gave us the history of it.  

My little fainting spell got me in the hospital an extra day but I should get discharged tomorrow. 

Laughlines - sending positive thoughts your way.

Tracee - How are you doing? 

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

Thanks for everyone's comments.  I will keep you posted on the logistics.  Best, heather

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited February 2011

Kcshreve - thanks for posting. That is exactly what Dr. S told me at my consultation. Is it weird that I'm concerned that colleagues at work will notice that I'm suddenly well endowed and then again notice when I'm not? I'm not so concerned about my friends and family because they'll know what's going on. I know that I just have to relax about it because it's the end result that's important. Dr. Massey is going to be my assistant surgeon so maybe she'll be able to remind him to stay as small as possible (knowing that they won't be small at all!)

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

My Battle - My Victory

Yesterday I fought a Battle, But I did not fight alone-
    I had a Protector - A Guide, I was never on my own
    This enemy came to me suddenly, No warning as to prepare-
    And before I knew what happened, this enemy was everywhere.
    I felt so overwhelmed; Did no one know my pain?
    How could this be happening to me, How did it know my name?
    Today I fight this battle, The enemy with me still
    It has not yet taken control, Nor has it broke my will
    It is hurtful and it is cruel, It doesn't care the damage it causes
    It is wearing down my defenses; I can soon count my losses.
    It is ruthless and emotionless, Its purpose to destroy
    I can not, must not let it, Will not let it have control
    Hear me when I tell you, Please listen when I say
    I have many scars from this battle; I do struggle from day to day It takes many things from me; Within my body it has much power
    It affects loved ones around me; The battle has become a war
    You may not know by looking at me, Then again maybe you can, That this enemy shows no mercy, I fall when I can no longer stand
    It does not care what age you are, or your status here on Earth It doesn't count your income, or what you think you are worth
    This battle that I speak of, Cancer is its name
    And because I continue to fight, I will never be the same!
    Tomorrow may never come for me; I live only in the present
    My life is right here, right now, What I have is this very moment
    But I will continue to fight, For I learned down on my knees is where I fight this battle, It is where God gives me the victory.  

AWESOME WORDS.

• Dragonfly1976
    Dragonfly1976 Member Posts: 1,552
    edited February 2011

Ah Heather, thanks for sharing, made me cry :(

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

oh dragonfly I know-- hope you doing good>  Love, h.

• Dragonfly1976
    edited February 2011

I'm hanging in there, getting back in the swing of working full time after 5 months of being laid off and 2 surgeries! I can't believe I did this all before and with chemo, wow!

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

Dragonfly, what kind of work are you doing?  Hope you like your new job.  best, heather

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

Liz!! Yay, glad you are alive and well!!! Thinking of you!!! :):):)

Hang in there Dragon!

Heather, wow.  

• Dragonfly1976
    edited February 2011

I just got a temp job for the state of Oregon, legislative session. I'm on a hearing committee so it's crazy, and nothing like I've ever done before :)

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

Dragonfly, that sounds interesting--

• Dragonfly1976
    edited February 2011

Interesting is right!!! :) I don't think I'll ever answer my work phone again. A lady called to ask about a bill, and an hour later she finally was off the phone. She had a question on a U of O bill, then rambled about it, and the Governor, plastic bags, owls, and the best part of Salem to live in...I'm sure there was more but you get the point.

• heatherbless
    edited February 2011

I would have just set the phone down and put it on speaker and said every sooo often--uh-huh.  LOL

• Dragonfly1976
    edited February 2011

ha ha i should have, it was bad! The other girls at work were all laughing too :)

• laughlines
    laughlines Member Posts: 115
    edited February 2011

Whew! I finally just heard back from my onc about my MRI results. I answered the phone and said, "Hello Dr. _ , how are you?" He replied, "Not as good as you are!"

I guess everything looks fine and benign. Thank you ladies for all the reassurance and for giving me a place to come and talk when I was freaking out!

Liz - glad things are looking good for you! Congratulations!

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited February 2011

Laughlines... LaughingSmileLaughingSmileLaughing... Now doing the Happy Dance! Hurray! I have been thinking about you all day and was a little worried when we hadn't heard from you sooner!!! Hurray, hurray, hurray!!!!

Liz - Hope you are feeling well and resting comfortably tonight!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2011

I've been away for a while and just caught up.

Geez, Laughlines, I'm so glad I didn't have to worry about you very long - only as long as it took me to catch up. So glad you're OK!

Liz - Another hurdle jumped!

Tracee - Keep us posted...

Welcome to all you new gals!

• Springtime
    edited February 2011

yay Laughlines! Glad to hear it! 

Nordy's pic is of Cloud the pup!! When do you get him?