Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Comments

• toomuch
    toomuch Member Posts: 254
    edited October 2011

Jerusha - Ugh. I'm sorry that you're feeling so worn down. You're dealing with a lot. Is it possible to work part time for a week or so until you get the thrush under control and get some energy back. I've never had thrush but imagine it would be awful. Sending cyber hugs and hoping tomorrow is a better day!

Spring, Jerusha, Laura - Thanks for the good wishes. I'm all packed and off to try to get some sleep! 

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

toomuch - good luck tomorrow (actually today!)

Jerusha - I am sorry you have to deal with all of this.  This is a lot to handle.  I can understand feeling worn down by it all.  Sending you a big hug -this will get better.

• Nordy
    Nordy Member Posts: 1,106
    edited October 2011

Jerusha - I don't have any advice  - just sending some hugs your way! (((((())))))

• SandyinSoCal
    SandyinSoCal Member Posts: 559
    edited October 2011

I just spent nearly a week at the Southern Women's Show in Florida with Liz Anderson and returned home early this a.m. to over 400 personal emails and more than that for work.  I very quickly skimmed the last several pages here that I missed while away and it looks like all of you are doing well. YAY!   I have been doing a ton of traveling this year and finally have no more trips booked, but I do want to have my tatts redone  (mine are not the same color for some odd reason) so there's always a possibility of a trip to NOLA for that and some relaxation.  I'd love to see if Vinnie can tone down my left side--it's kinda hot pink while the right side is more of a mauve.  Dr. D revised my old umbilicus scar in January and a week after we returned home, we started moving our business.  Hefting boxes irritated the incision and now it is not the tiny little line he made it, so I really don't want him to see how I ruined his fine work. I've been invited to do a bridal show in NOLA on January 11th so maybe Vinnie will be there at that time, and I can meet up with Nordy too. 

Thanks for the compliments on the mermaid design!  Best to order online please, as I don't have much to do with orders or production these days.

Liz has an amazing line of all natural handmade soaps called Warrior Body Works.  You can look it up on Facebook or google her website.  Our booth was the best-smelling one in the entire convention center!

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

Sandy! WEEEHHHHHAAAAAA!!!!!

• JustLaura
    JustLaura Member Posts: 213
    edited October 2011

SurfaGirl - it was my 'upper' stomach that was so firm - the area between my ab incision and my breasts. At 4 months out it was still quite swollen and very firm to the touch (but not necrosis). Dr D said that was scar tissue and needed to be broken up. Trunk rotations or anything that 'twists' that area would help. I can tell he broke a lot of it up during my stage 2. Even with the swelling I have now I'm smaller there then I had been the entire time since Stage 1. I also went to PT when I was 6 weeks out from stage 1 ( and I'll go again once my incisions heal) and that helped some but this time I'll make she concentrates on that area instead of my breasts(as she did last time).

• tigsun
    tigsun Member Posts: 162
    edited October 2011

Jerusha - we had stage 1 around the same time.  I am headed back for my stage 2 soon.  Sorry to hear about your problems returning to work.  Right now I am scheduled for 5 weeks off but I am hoping I will only need 3 weeks off and then start working from home.  I will see how I feel.   right now I am looking forward to being able to rest after surgery because work has been so busy!  I hope to catch up on my sleep.

Stage 2 is seeming like a reality now.  I went to my naturapathic doctor and have all homeopathic remedies etc. 

Rogam &  Djfrro  maybe I will see you there.  I will put my username outside my door.  I have my  pre op on October 31st.

• celtic_antique
    celtic_antique Member Posts: 351
    edited October 2011

The Center did tell me to stick extra pads in, but, really? They cost the earth and I can't see wasting them that way. The Center sent a few when they sent more betadine swabs (had a deep suture infection in contralateral breast that Dr. D. had done a mastoplexy on and they recommended swabbing it several times a day.) The new smaller DOMs fit really well and I think they will do the trick -- the others were too large what with weight loss and swelling going down. Heading to Montreal to my conference today, confident that when I return the &$#(&%($( ]other expletives deleted!] will come out. I know the DOMs are uncomfortable, but I am not willing to compromise the work Dr. D. did because I can't hack it!! LOL! AND, I managed to get my pantyhose OVER the DOM without runs, so I think I am good to go.

Jerusha -- {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}} 'Bout all I can do along with sending healing and uplifting thoughts and energies your way. After each day, just remind yourself that THIS day will not come again and that things WILL get better. Hard to remember that there is sunshine, I know, when you are at the bottom of a "pit"!

Betsy -- good to hear from you. I take it all is progressing spendidly with you after your travails! Good news indeed!

Last minute things in the office then a scramble home to pack and on to Montreal! Later gang!

• Adey
    Adey Member Posts: 2,413
    edited October 2011

This is from a gal that has NO experience yet but what about a folded up wash cloth instead of a pad?  Is that nutty?  Just throwing it out there!  (c:

Good luck tomorrow toomuch!

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2011

Celtic, KOTEX should do the trick!

:))

Hugs, marcia

• Soccermom4force
    Soccermom4force Member Posts: 311
    edited October 2011

Jerusha, get a RX for Clotrimazole "troches" aka lozenges.. They taste good and work in conjunction with the oral meds to clear up the thrush.( I had it too.. Ugh)

Really really helped!

Marcia

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2011

Somebody in NOLA is engaged!!!!!

Nordy, I'm putting in a request to see if Vinnie can be at the Center sometime during the week of Jan 9-13, and will contact Stephanie to see if she can be there as well.  Are you ready to have your tattoos re-done?

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

Hmmmm... that is a good question. I think it will be better to wait until I decide about the other surgery because if I have Dr. S do anything to either breast in conjunction with the surgery then it may effect how the nipples sit.(?) I think I will wait until after I see him! But I cannot wait to see how yours turn out. My girlfriend that was supposed to meet me down there just backed out (for like, the third time), so it looks like either my hubby and I will go and just make a weekend of it, or it will just be me. Either way, I am excited.

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

PS - Is it Katie?

• kaitsmom
    kaitsmom Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2011

I heard about the engagement as well!!  She was positively giddy when I spoke with her!!  Yay!!  (Though as I told her, hearts are breaking all over that city! I could hear them as far north as Raleigh!)

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

Girls! WHO IS ENGAGED???  

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

Maggie... I used 4 pads on each side folded and re-used them as they are just there for compression... But Adey is right, washclothes or as Marcia said, Kotex... really anything that is soft and can add compression...

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2011

Don't tell anyone I said it but it's Katie that has the new ring... saw it this week.... ITS BEAUTIFUL... SHE IS GLOWING!!!!  but you didn't hear that from me..... 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited October 2011

Yay for Katie!!! And Vinnie, I will be meeting you in just a few short months.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited October 2011

Thank you Vinnie, your secret is safe with us! 

I love Katie! She has helped me so many times, in so many ways. Good for her!!! :) 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

Toomuch - good luck to you!  I arrive on the 26th for my 2b. When will you be going home?

Jerusha - sorry you are so tired and feel crappy. It will pass but I know it sucks to feel that way. On the other hand - how do you look? Sending a bighug to you and hope you feel better soon.

JustLaura - sorry to have been out of touch. I am on the plane home from a convention in Orlando and didn't sign on for the last week.  It sounds like you did awesome and look great.  Wish we could have been there at the same time again. Let me know if you have plans to visit LA!

I also spoke to Katie on Monday and she is glowing right through the phone. Can't wait to see the ring next week! She is awesome - a bright light who answers the phone with a hug smile every time. She has helped me on so many occassions.  I am so thrilled for her.  Wedding will hopefully be next Fall!  I'll report back on the ring and other details next week (if she's okay with it!)

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

HA! I DID guess right!

kathryn - Hi!!!

• Nordy
    edited October 2011

TooMuch - You are up! You will do great!

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited October 2011

Good luck, TooMuch!!!!!!!

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited October 2011

I love Katie.  She is like a ray of sunshine.  She's helped me with all so many things.

Celtic- the Center did tell me I could use Kotex pads and it would work just as well.  I've been using surgical pads that I bought at Walgreens though it is pricey.  I've used them because my scab was pulled off by my underwear twice so I decided to keep using the pads.

Jerusha- sending your relaxing thoughts and peaceful nights of rest.  Can you take off for a few days?  Don't worry about your employer, your health is more important.

All you travelling women, you folks are super women!  Can't believe you can all travel with drains, work with thrush, etc.  You are all amazing!

Vinnie:  I heard so many great things about you so I am thrilled that you are at the Center.  I was thinking I would have to fly to Maryland? I've never had a tattoo before.  Is it sore?  Oh well, I'm going to have a tattoo when the Dr. says I can have one. 

• kathrynla
    kathrynla Member Posts: 406
    edited October 2011

Nordy - when are you coming back to LA? Wish we were going to NOLA at the same time.

• SandyinSoCal
    edited October 2011

Katie said wedding will likely be in early 2013.  I don't want to be too specific because I didn't ask her if it was okay to be discussing details here.  Her ring is stunning and she is just over the moon with happiness.  It's so fun to share in someone so incredibly happy!!   Now the planning begins and I can design some things just for her.  Finally, she'll be coming to the bridal show I've been doing there every January!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 289
    edited October 2011

re: surgical pads        I ordered some more surgial pads over the phone from the company that supplied the pads the Center gave me. (I was probably over consuming the pads but it made dealing with the drains so much more comfortable.)  Started by using the phone number on the paper covering the pads.  They gave me another phone number for ordering.   Got around 8 boxes (decided I will probably need some for stage 2).  For me, even with shipping it was less expensive than my local store and they arrived in two days.

• Del11
    Del11 Member Posts: 398
    edited October 2011

re: pads--I bought these online via Amazon, $5.43 for 20 pads.

http://www.amazon.com/Sterile-Combine-ABD-Pads-Dynarex/dp/B000GCRWE4/

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2011

SurfaGrl.... thanks.... It is an honor to work there when they need me. EVERYBODY there is incredible! What a team !!!   As far as "sore" you might feel a little bit during tattooing... but not much... but if you do feel it, it only hurts for a couple minutes and its good if you have sensation there... right? I had 18 HOURS of tattooing on my chest and it wasn't fun getting them but it sure is fun having them! I figure it's the same with tattooed nipples!...V