Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Options

Comments

• greenjay
    greenjay Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2016
    Options

One thing I don't understand in terms of length of stay, is how do you book a hotel if you don't know how many nights you will need? I am guessing they cannot know an exact number of nights for each patient.

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 551
    edited May 2016
    Options

If you can get a referral from the Center to stay the Hope Lodge, then you can stay for free and book a little extra on the end of your trip just in case. There are rules about not having food in the rooms to avoid bugs (not a sign that it's not clean, just part of living in the south) and a big shared kitchen with storage. If you'd prefer to be on your own, I really liked Homewood Suites. It wasn't fancy, but it was comfortable with a separate living area from the bedroom, a large bathroom for dealing with bandages, and a little kitchen for preparing simple meals so you can save your money for fancy dinners. Whole Foods will take a grocery order and deliver for ~$35. It is close to the Quarter, so I was able to get out for short walks and I really feel that it helped my recovery to get up and moving. Although, once I accidentally took my pain meds too early and went out in the heat of the day and got super-dizzy and tired. My caregivers were stuck sitting in an air conditioned mall with me until I could make it back home. :) Baby steps.

• lastar
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited May 2016
    Options

Greenjay, you can go home after your post op appointment. They will book it before you even come. It is usually a week out from your surgery.

• greenjay
    edited May 2016
    Options

Thanks!!

And do you happen to know if you have to stay in town for the 4 post op days, or can you for example, stay a few hours away?

• lastar
    edited May 2016
    Options

I had asked if I could stay 4 hours away with my parents, but the Center said that I had to stay in town in case something happened. This was 4 years ago, so perhaps their policy is different now. Ultimately, I felt better being close by.

• trvler
    edited June 2016
    Options

You wouldn't want to stay somewhere else those first few days. They treat you very well anyway and the food is much better than a normal hospital.

• greenjay
    edited June 2016
    Options

No, actually I meant after you are released from the hospital - when I would normally go to a local hotel for 4 nights. :)

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2016
    Options

You will definitely need to stay close by until your post op appointment. (Hope Lodge, VRBO, Hotel

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2016
    Options

Aw. This thread has definitely gotten sleepy. Glad to see some recent activity.

• Rubymyrtle
    Rubymyrtle Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

I'm having surgery on July 19th with DellaCroce. Is there still activity on the NOLA/Charleston fb page? How can I get added.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi Rubymyrtle,

Yes, the Facebook page is very active... Just friend me (I'll send info through PM) and I'll add you.

Betsy

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2016
    Options

I stayed on the North Shore in a cottage near the lake. Took about 45 minutes to travel back for my post op appointment.

• SurfaGrl
    SurfaGrl Member Posts: 107
    edited September 2016
    Options

This journey is complete! Im very pleased with my revisions from Dr. Blume and with the tats from Vinnie.😃👍🏻. Thank you all for helping me through all the surgeries. I can celebrate! I am back to surfing and can wear a two piece!

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited September 2016
    Options

R u on the picture forum ?

• Stix
    edited November 2016
    Options

does anyone remember what days dr. D does surgery on?? I remember not on fridays....c aus' that what I wanted a year ago...

They are closed now... and can't call. thanks

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2016
    Options

I think both of my surgeries were in a Thursday with Dr D.

• Stix
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thx zen. Anyone know what it costs for implant recont.w. alloderm at the center? A friend of mine was curious. Anyone have this ? PM me

• Stix
    edited March 2017
    Options

Anyone have experience with the Promise to pay at NOLA? Please PM me asap

thank you

• Bravemama34
    Bravemama34 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2017
    Options

I will be having bilateral SGAP at NOLA next month w Dr. Sullivan.  i will have my toddler, nanny, husband and mom with me.  we need a place for all of us and preferably close to a park or river.  any suggestions?

• lastar
    edited April 2017
    Options

We stayed at Homewood Suites, which is affordable and has a small kitchen. It's probably not big enough for your posse but it's walking distance to the Quarter and 5 miles from the zoo/aquarium/water park area. A 3 bdrm VRBO house will run ~$300-400/night. There are some gorgeous places in the Garden District nearer to the zoo.

• rainflame
    rainflame Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

What is the private NOLA fb group?

• trvler
    edited April 2017
    Options

Private Facebook Group where you can ask questions about the Center.

• Stix
    edited April 2017
    Options

i just got back from NOLA . You can ask me any questions.

• trvler
    edited April 2017
    Options

So you got to go, Stix?

• Lula73
    Lula73 Member Posts: 705
    edited April 2017
    Options

we stayed at a condo complex by stay Alfred. They have 3 complexes in New Orleans if I'm not mistaken. Just go to the website www.stayalfred.com and look up New Orleans

Heidi at the center can also put you in touch with who they use for corporate rentals

• Stix
    edited April 2017
    Options

I stayed at homewood suites. close to .. french quarter- you could relax. lots of restaurants nearby. Nice bfast and light dinner included (mon-thurs). bfast daily. I mainly ate salad at their dinner and went out for light dinner with protein. It was very basic yet had amenities for my care giver such as: w/o room, computers, pool etc. Plus you get hilton points.

• Stix
    edited April 2017
    Options

I did implant surgery. Which was fine for me. If it does not work I suppose I will do the flap.

Its a personal choice. Ladies they do do implants there also. I always bounce back from surgeries easily. I am already ready to go back to work this week - they did surgery last week- but they won't let me. The hardest part for me is not being able to work and have to think about this event :):)- not that I did not like it there- I did.

I liked it at NOLA center, I love the city. And the people are the nice people in the area.

• Stix
    edited April 2017
    Options

If anyone has questions please ask re: nola.

Trvler, I did get to go. It was expensive- I was out of network. I considered it an investment in myself. I felt if I stayed in network I would be going through surgery after surgery and that could be detrimental to my health physically and psychologically. So, I decided to go out of network hoping they can fix what others could not. I am hoping; however, there is always a chance it could fail. But, I know I am in the best hands.

Some plastic surgeon do not offer any surgery with insurance coverage- like the some in new york and some in CA and I know one in Kentucky. The one in Kentucky told me I could submit my claims myself- really???. So even though it was expensive I put that in consideration. I did not know that until I started searching around.

I worked hard before I left -working a lot of extra hours that were available at that time- and I scooped them up. Right b4 I left I was informed they are cutting our staff- meaning extra hours are no longer offered. This is the only surgery I have had that I get paid 100 percent of my pay- all the others I had a different job and did not get that- So, I am grateful this time around.

Stix

• trvler
    edited April 2017
    Options

Oh, I am so happy you made it! Which doctor did you go to? Are you happy so far? I am going back for Stage 2b on May 4. Mostly wanting to see if they can improve my itchy, keloid scars. Dr. S wanted to do some more lipo but I am not really very enthusiastic about any MORE scars.