Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

NOLA in September?

Options

Comments

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 551
    edited July 2015
    Options

Stix, yes, I think I told them about 5 months before the surgery.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited April 2017
    Options

does anyone know where I can get a template to write my insurance company a letter to get out of network coverage for a second opinion I need to send it asap. Please let me know thank youl

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited August 2015
    Options

Stix, I don't know about that, did you try googling? I went to NOLA and the insurance office there handled all this stuff for me. Did you call them and ask if they can help you?

• Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi

I figured it out myself. Thanks tho'

• Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

I am planning on going for a consult in new orleans with. dellaCroce.

Does any1 know somewhere economical to stay and so I don't have to rent a car? I dont mind taking a shuttle from the airport to the hotel

thanks.

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited August 2015
    Options

The center will have you picked and bring you to and from the center.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Depending on the dates of your stay, this option might or might not be economical, but it is walkable. It's been my favorite place to stay there by far. Hotel Indigo.
  • lastar
    edited August 2015
    Options

Stix, the Center also offers discounts on local hotels. I think if you click on the links from the CRBS site, the discount codes are automatically added. The Clarion Grande is a standard hotel but is 3 blocks away.

http://www.breastcenter.com/support/travel/travel-...

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hope Lodge is free. The limo will go there. The office will set you up at zhL and limo.
  • Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

Thanks everyone. What is zhl pink heart? How far is the hope lodge? Thank you

• PinkHeart
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Oops. Typo. HL is Hope Lodge. The NOLA staff will have all good details for you.
  • trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    edited August 2015
    Options

I have been working with Britney on lodging. She can help you. Also Miriam does it.

• Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

i looked at the web site. for Hope lodge. It said you have to meet qualifications to go there. What

are the qualifications. I don't have active cancer. I need a 2nd opinion for a revision. thanks

• PinkHeart
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Stic, talk to nola office staff. They will arrange for you to stay there. It is one of the larger Hope Lodges in the US so easier to get in. I stayed there one night -- and i was just coming in for a consult appt with NOLA.
  • mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2015
    Options
    You can stay there as long as you've had cancer and are seeking treatment. Reconstruction counts. I stayed there one night after my Stage II. It was just fine. If they can't get you in, it will be because it's full rather than because you're not in active treatment.
  • Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

ok. thank you

• Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

I had a consult with a PS regarding my reconstruction and bottoming out. He does not take united health care. I told them I have the option of switiching to blue cross blue shield (its more money for me of course- alot more) The insurance lady said they CANNOT get pre approval from blue cross blue shield- that I have to have the procedure done then they can tell if it is covered.

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING? It makes me extremely leary

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited August 2015
    Options

stix....I have never heard of that. Back when I was getting preapproval with Blue Cross to go out of Network with Dr Massey in Charleston, I filled out the papers, sent them to Dr. M's office. She filled in all the surgical codes and then it was submitted to Blue Cross. I had approval in 2 weeks. I actually called my insurance (bc/bs) and talked to them about it first. They are the ones that told me how to go about the approval process. I didn't talk to DrM's office about payment until I had approval from insurance. Good luck....it is a tedious process

• Stix
    edited August 2015
    Options

Anybody else ? I am considering changing to blue cross blue shield next year. A new PS i consulted with- the office said they have to submit and see if they cover versus pre approval. I don't agree with this. I would like to know b4 hand. Please let me know your experiences

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2015
    Options

Stix, are you consulting at NOLA or still with surgeons in MI? Is it the insurance person at NOLA that won't give you answers about Blue Cross until they submit? Just an FYI, Dr. Kline in Charleston is in network for UHC. I've had 3 surgeries with him this year and they've paid EVERYTHING over my deductable/out of pocket costs...never an issue.

• Stix
    edited September 2015
    Options

I was thinking about switching tsurance for next year. Possibly switch to bcbs. The office was trying to tell me that they don't know if it is approved until after it is submitted. Does that sound kinda weird ? I am really pissed. I also have an appt at nola for a second opinion. I know they will at least fight with. insurance companies.

• jacee
    jacee Member Posts: 219
    edited September 2015
    Options

I think it sounds very shady!! NOLA should be much easier to work with

• Stix
    edited September 2015
    Options

HI, I just talked to the insurance lady again. She said they cannot get pre-approval from blue cross when it is outpatient. Does that make sense? I will be staying over night the dr said  if i decide to go there (likely 23 hours stay).

Also she said they do not take United Healthcare (the dr. doesn't, the hospital does)- she says that I would be out of network. If they did not take united health care  at all then how could I be out of network?  If they don't take my insurance at all  I would think that I would have to foot the entire plastic surgeon bill. I am thinking they are saying the are not a preferred provider w. my insurance company which makes me out of network?

Thank you. stix

• Stix
    edited September 2015
    Options

OR, has anyone ever asked your medical provider join an insurance network ?  Thanks. :) stix

• Stix
    edited December 2015
    Options

I am trying to appeal my insurance company to pay in network for my out of network second opinions. I am presenting cost of all my surgeries/revisions. Does anyone know if I present the cost of what the surgery cost or do i present the cost of what the insurance company paid the hospital.

I work at this hospital. The people that are reviewing the appeal also work at the hospital and they say nay or yay in whether I can get outpatient coverage at an in network rate.

Any experience or comments re with this will help. TY

• melindastn
    melindastn Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hello everyone,  it has been a very long time since I have been on this site. I knew if anyone might have some answers it would be you gals. Last week I had a breast MRI and they found something in my reconstructed breast (stacked DIEP 2008). They said it was small and not really near the skin they want to do follow up in 6 months. Is there any way possible this could be cancer?  I was under the impression that was not possible 

Thanks for all the love and support

Melinda

• lastar
    edited September 2015
    Options

Unfortunately, a recurrence after MX is not impossible, even for DCIS. Every bit of breast tissue is not removed in a MX. A recent study came out that examined recurrence and survival for DCIS, and you can see that recurrence does happen. http://oncology.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2427491#Methods Fortunately, recurrence is very rare. I know a lot of us with reconstruction have oil cysts also, so hopefully that is all it is! Given that you have had flap reconstruction, try to have your imaging reviewed by someone who is savvy to flaps. When I had oil cysts, my MRI was misinterpreted because the local docs did not know how to interpret the images relative to transferred fat. I was travelling near NOLA soon after, so I stopped at the Center and had Dr. Stolier have a look. His interpretation saved me from unnecessary biopsies and the cysts resolved on their own. If it happens again, I will certainly have it checked just to be sure. I hope you get some good news soon!

• besa
    besa Member Posts: 287
    edited September 2015
    Options

Unfortunately, as lastar said, cancer is still a possibility. I also had a small lump that turned out to be an oil cyst. I was followed by a local radiologist who had lots of experience imaging flaps. I also was seen by a nola radiologist -Daniel Rupley. I did not have a biopsy but was followed with repeated imaging as the cyst became smaller and calcified.

• PinkHeart
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had a small lump almost three years after my flap surgery on my radiated side. After having an ultrasound, It was determined to be fat necrosis.

How can docs tell the difference between fat necrosis vs oil cyst?
  • lastar
    edited September 2015
    Options

My understanding is that fat necrosis is in the flap (areas of the flap that don't get proper blood flow and harden) and oil cysts are where the fat grafting is done (fat grafting didn't take and dissolves into oil to be reabsorbed).