Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Easy, Low Fat Food that Can Save A Triple Negative Life

Options

Comments

• Debonthelake
    Debonthelake Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi, everyone,

One way that I get a beef taste really lightened is to mix ground turkey with beef.  In our area we have a Laura's lean ground beef which is hormone and antibiotic free.  I get the leanest I can find which is about 4% fat.  I mix the ground beef with 99% fat free ground turkey breast.  Mix in a cup or so of oats, a couple of eggs, ground green pepper, celery and onion, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.  Mix then up and divide them into 1 ounce portions.  You have really tasty low fat meat with more flavor than you can get with turkey alone.  I also serve my meat balls and sauce over zucchini instead of noodles.  It makes a very satisfying low calorie and low fat meal.

• Karen09
    Karen09 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2009
    Options

Here's a low fat recipe that I've gotten some great compliments over.  You can adjust the spices are you like.  I really like it and it's easy to make, plus really different from what I usually make.  Might not be the best recipe during treatment because of the spices but it is definitely great for afterwards.

Salmon with Gingery Cabbage

1 Tbsp olive oil

1 small onion, thinly sliced

4 pieces (6 ounces each) salmon fillet, skin removed

1/2 tsp curry powder

2 Tbsp dijon mustard

2 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 bag (16 ounce) shredded cabbage for coleslaw (I prefer fresh cabbage, esp. purple cabbage)

Directions

1.      Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil on medium 1 minute. Add onion; cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.

2.      Meanwhile, grease 13" by 9" glass baking dish. With tweezers, remove any bones from salmon pieces. Place salmon, rounded sides up, in baking dish. In cup, stir together curry powder, Dijon mustard, and 2 teaspoons water; use to brush evenly over salmon.

3.      Roast salmon, without turning over, 15 minutes or just until opaque throughout.

4.      While salmon roasts, add ginger and cumin to onion in skillet, and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add cabbage and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and cook 11 to 13 minutes or until cabbage is just tender and starts to brown, stirring occasionally.

5.      To serve, spoon cabbage mixture onto 4 dinner plates; top with salmon.

I got the recipe from Good Housekeeping magazine.  :)

• Karen09
    Karen09 Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2009
    Options

Here's another recipe that I absolutely LOVE!  Fresh lime juice is one of my favourite things - I just love the smell and the taste.  I used scallops instead of shrimp for the recipe a couple times and fried them on the stove and they turned out great. 

Grilled Lime Shrimp

1/2 teaspoon fresh lime zest

• 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound shelled deveined uncooked shrimp

Mix together the first 8 ingredients in a bowl. Add shrimp; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to marinate. Thread shrimp on metal skewers; reserve marinade.

Place skewered shrimp on grill over medium heat. Cook 3-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and brushing with marinade occasionally.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2009
    Options

Karen - The grilled Lime Shrimp sounds wonderful - I think I'll have to try it soon.

• silverlady
    silverlady Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2009
    Options

Hi, I just found out I am triple neg.  That really threw me for a loop, more so than finding out I had cancer.  I asked my oncologist yesterday what my future looked like and he said, my PET scan is clear and if they find nothing in my nodes,  I have a good chance at 10 years!  Boy, that isn't what I have been reading..  Any input on that.  I was intending to have my chemo here in FL, but since finding this out, I think I will go to UCLA because my kids and grandkids like 150 miles north of LA.  This is one of the 10 top cancer centers in the US.  What have you all done?.

You wrote about chicken breast with a tasty sauce...   Just out of curiosity, how do you make a tasty sauce without BUTTER or Cheese?  haha..  I love to cook and eat.  What have you all heard about Asparagus Juice?  I am sipping some right now and isn't bad, but I like asparagus anyway. I asked my Oncologist yesterday about it and he said..it is very healthy and can't hurt.   I am 68, so running 5 miles a day maybe a bit much for me, but I have never run for my life before.  I have been short of breath for over 20 years...but I love to walk.  I started on my wiifit machine 2 days before I found my lump on August 1 2009.  Since then, I have lost 6.5 Lbs working out 30 minutes a day.  Should I be loosing weight like this before surgery and Chemo, do you think?  Guess I should be asking my Dr this.  Another Question, if my dr said my cancer is 3 x 2.5, what siize is it?  American Cancer Center wants a single diget to put in the questionaire.  I hate to ramble, but both my family and I are a bit upset..after the biopsy, I was told it was 1 cm and now there are saying this.  I was told I was a candidate for lumpectomy...REALLY?  I'm reading that people who are thriple negative strive to live 3 years and my Oncologist is telling me that I have a good chance tot 10 years???  I would appreciate any input you all may have.  Thanks  And God Bless all of you!

• Debonthelake
    Debonthelake Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2009
    Options

Silver lady -- Diet and exercise are good for you.  The research seems to indicate that exercise helps with recovery, tolerance of chemo and radiation as well has preventing recurrence.  Just follow you doctors instructions has to how long to wait to start exercising again after surgery. 

The three years isn't a "too live" number.  3 years is the golden number for a triple negative.  Though most docs won't pronounce us cured after 3 years the statistics are such that chances of recurrence are extremely low after 3 years. It is a very happy anniversary indeed.  A lot of women on chemo gain weight due to the steroids that are given.  Any exercise you can continue during chemo and healthy eating will be of benefit.  But, there will be days when there won't be much that will taste good and it is important to eat.  So, we do the best that we can.  I was fortunate to have only gained a few pounds during chemo but, it seems many women gain 15 or more pounds during chemo.  So, if you've lost a bit pre-chemo you are ahead of the game a little.

Best of luck to you. God bless

• Meggy
    Meggy Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2009
    Options

Rachael Ray said you can make icecream the following way.  Freeze 3 bananas and add a quarter cup whole milk (I say we try low fat or non fat milk instead...then blend it in a food processor.  She says it tastes just like icecream!

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited September 2009
    Options

bump

• Meggy
    edited November 2009
    Options

Bump

• rinna40
    rinna40 Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2009
    Options

What a great thread. I really need to loose weight and seriously reduce my fat consumption. One recipe that my Dad taught me is absolutely great:

One large Salmon Fillet

One yellow peper

One onion

Mushrooms

Salt/Pepper

Two lemons 

Simply put fillet on tinfoil, cut up veggies and place on top, salt a pepper to taste, wrap up the tinfoil, and cook on the BBQ - about 10 - 15 minutes. It is soo easy and tastes great. We usually eat it with rice and steamed beans. 

• bf2009
    bf2009 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2009
    Options

The "meals" are going to be a problem for me as I'm not the only one in my house and my husband is dead set on his pizza, friedd chicken, steak diet and everything smothered in gravy

( after many discussions / arguements over many years that his diet is awful, in which he disagrees and refuses to change, I give up and going to just work on my own diet and let him do his own thing).... so I'll have to stick to things like egg whites for protien and try to create a simple diet plan for myself. I've already set a place outside the kitchen for all his chips, cookies, cakes, pies, donuts, cupcakes and other snack foods so I'm not tempted to eat any of it due to convieience.

Have a vitamix and plan to do lots of smoothies, simple easy foods that are whole grain, high fiber

and just let my husband do his own thing, obtain and cook his own meals as to be honest, there is no changing him, his diet and even looking at what he eats makes me sick to my stomach.

;)

If anyone wants to post a simple diet plan they are using thats EASY ( not too much cooking)

Breakfast:

Lunch:

dinner:

snack:

I would appriciate it as I need some ideas.

and also... a friend tells me TUMERIC shrinks tumors, anyone ever tried that? adding that spice to food? how did it go?

• Meggy
    edited December 2009
    Options

So here's really easy.  Vegetarian chili out of a can...the kind with no bad perservatives, etc.  I feel I've been eating too much animal lately...so I'm going to eat this regularly.  Also, I can't eat salt (worsens my lymphedema) but Health Valley makes a no salt added version.  Had to order it off line. 

Tumeric....is nice tasting...can go on chicken, maybe I'll add it to my chili too.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited December 2009
    Options

For breakfast I like to make an egg burrito, which you can load up with veggies.  

Tortilla - wheat, spinach - use whatever flavor you like

2 eggs  - you can do all egg whites or 1 egg and 1 egg white

This is where you can get extra veggies and vary things up........you can mix and match tomatoes, green onions, small amount of cheese, mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, spinach.  If you don't have time to cut seasoning you could buy the precut seasoning.

I cook the eggs mixed with all of the veggies that I'm using together, then fold it up in the burrito and enjoy! 

It takes me less than 10 min to make and if you're in a hurry - it can be eaten on the go.

Beth - I also have found that Amy's Organic Frozen dinners are great to have around when you're not wanting to cook.  They're are loaded with protien and dietary fibers and I think they taste great!

• bf2009
    bf2009 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2009
    Options

I tried the eggs with veggies...

zuccini is what I used... was realy good and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO filling !

I'm looking into the other stuff too, thanks again !

• Meggy
    edited February 2010
    Options

Dr. Oz was talking about Tumeric Tea...said ladies in Japan who lived to be the oldest drink it.  Also a potato like thing called Imo.  It looked yummy.  Said it had way more anit-oxidents than blueberries.  But I wonder if it has a high glycemic index like regular potatoes.  I think that is bad, keeps your blood sugar high for too long.  But I believe sweetpotatos don't.   Has anyone tried Imo?   

• Meggy
    edited March 2010
    Options

If I want a burger I have it.  Extra lean hamberger meat only has 5 grams of fat.  I load it up with fancy mustards.  A huge salad with it and I feel like I don't have to eat lean at all.

• farfaith
    farfaith Member Posts: 19
    edited April 2010
    Options

meggy this was alot of help i am tripple negitive i have herd about the sugar had no idea about the fats i have a lot to learn and read up on.

talking about  eating healthy i love pasta try making spagetie with spagetie squash cut in 1/2 boil tell its tender scoop it out cover with your spagetie sauce i like tomatoes tomato sauce onions bell pepper garlic mushrooms and spices my kids even eat it.

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited April 2010
    Options

Farfaith- Did you know you could just poke a few holes in spaghetti squash and microwave it. Works like a champ and much easier to cut. 

• farfaith
    farfaith Member Posts: 19
    edited June 2010
    Options

Paluldigmom

ya that might be easier lol thanks i guess i shoud have new everything else steams well.

• Meggy
    edited August 2010
    Options

bump

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2010
    Options

Excellent Bump!

I have found Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches to by uber delicious, and it's 2-4 grams of fat per serving. They have a great variety of flavors, and I can get them in our CVS as well as Safeway.

• Meggy
    edited August 2010
    Options

For a super quick, really no cooking meal, I take canned pinto beans (almost zero fat) and some store bought, fresh chunky salsa (I consider that my veggies) and put it in a corn tortilla.  Corn tortillas are also almost fat free.  It's totally vegetarian and makes me drop weight to help my lymphedema.  I feel it sort of balances out my desire for steak.

• squidwitch42
    squidwitch42 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2010
    Options

Meggy,

Keep the wonderful suggestions coming...I need all the help I can get!

• Meggy
    edited November 2010
    Options

bump

• hymil
    hymil Member Posts: 177
    edited November 2010
    Options

Its a great thread, thankyou. Such good recipes! I went low fat and got out for a bit more exercise and all that extra weight i have had for, oooh, over ten years, just fell off, more than two stone. Ive had more than a few people say how well I look :) Yeah, with clothes on, maybe :(

Im really pleased it works for triple negs, as I know you guys have a really rough ride initially and then none of the supportive follow-up that the ER+ class get.

But does anyone know if the "diet and exercise" plan also make a difference for recurrence rates in hormone positive breast cancer ?

• GramE
    GramE Member Posts: 2,234
    edited November 2010
    Options

Suggestion given to me to reduce fat:  use White OR Red wine vinegar to saute onions, veggies.   No fat whatsoever...    I am allergic to egg whites, so that is out as a protein source.    Any links to recipes are appreciated.   I am "single" - widow over 7 years, so that is my major challenge.

• Meggy
    edited November 2010
    Options

GramE, there are so many nealry fat free canned beans...pinto, red beans, etc.  You can make tacos, burritos, with all kinds of tortillas and veggies on it.  Really doesn't involve cooking.  I just pop  my beans in the microwave.

Also, white chicken meat is so low in fat and so quicky and easy.  Just find nice seasoning packets and pop it in the oven. I even buy precooked rice to make it so quick and easy.  I buy precut salad makings and eat salads with my meals.  Low fat really is very easy.

Even pork can be very low fat....check the cut.  Even top serloin that I buy says only 7 grams of fat for 4 ounces so I eat steak here and there.  Also, seafood.  

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2013
    Options

-Roast Chicken that you can buy out of the supermarket already prepared and then cut up romaine lettuce, tomates, and carrots...A good lunch idea.

-Spagetti: I go meatless my mom laughs at this. I season the sauce up really good and use wheat pasta. No one misses the meat. Served w/ a slice of sweet (SMALL) cornbread.

-Shrimp and spinach served over brown rice or red potatoes.

-A bake sweet potatoe served w/ grilled salmon. Get creative w/ the seasonings for the salmon you will be surprise even try marinating all day before you bake it or pan stirr it.

-Wraps for dinner anyone??? Dinner doesn't always have to be meat and potatoes. Tomato basil wraps w/ roast chicken & stuffed with stir fried veggies. Yummy & for dip low fat ranch or italian dressing. 

• Meggy
    edited November 2010
    Options

Fighter....Yum.

• Meggy
    edited December 2010
    Options

Bump.....I like butter squash becuase it tastes like it already has butter on it.  Canned pumpkin with a little cinamon and nutmeg on it wamred up tastes like desert.