Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Easy, Low Fat Food that Can Save A Triple Negative Life

Options

Comments

• mb1024
    mb1024 Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2012
    Options

This thread is great - I have to relearn how to eat.  Does anyone know if the Naked Juices are good to drink?  They say "no added sugars," but they have sugars that naturally appear in the fruits and veggies. I get them at BJ's, and I've been drinking Naked Green, with all the veggies, and Naked Berry, with blueberries, etc.  

• mb1024
    edited April 2012
    Options

Speaking of organic and a healthy lifestyle, has anyone heard of Hippocrates in Palm Beach?  A good friend of mine just told me I am going there after treatment for a week (she's not giving me a choice).  Her husband went there about 8 years ago after treatment for leukemia (a bad one with poor prognosis), came back with a different way of eating and living, and is in great health today.  Her brother also did the program after being told by two major cancer centers that he only had 2 years to live (prostate cancer that had spread to his spine), and today there is no sign of the disease.  The doctors can't explain it, but told him to keep doing what he's doing.  Hey, it can't hurt, and Palm Beach ain't a bad place to spend a week.

• mccrimmon324
    mccrimmon324 Member Posts: 794
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hey Ladies,

Another Sister gave me this recipe a few weeks ago, thought she was nuts but wanted to try it anyway. 

Take your favorite brownie mix.  I go for the least amount of sugar.  Then replace the eggs and oil with pureed/blended smooth canned black beans.  Liquid and all.  You may want to add about a tablespoon of water then bake as directed. 

I swear, you can't tell the difference.  Surprisingly my hubby wasn't against trying it,  loves them, and wouldn't have me make them any different.  Made them for my cousins last night, after they cringed and made gross faces.  My 50 year old cousin, licked the bowl clean!! 

I know it's sounds disgusting but give it a try, you'll be surprised.

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks for the idea Heather!

I'm going to try this for my family!

Lorrie 

• mccrimmon324
    edited April 2012
    Options

Don't tell them and see if they notice.  I'm anxious to hear what you think of it. 

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited April 2012
    Options

It is not sugar that is bad for you if you have had cancer; it is higher glucose levels.  Yes, these can occur if you have too much refined sugar in your diet, but they can, also, occur if you don't, i.e., diabetes.  The trick is to balance glucose/fructose in your diet with additional fibre, so that your digestive system keeps your blood glucose levels from rising or "spiking".

• mccrimmon324
    edited April 2012
    Options

So adding the black beans is a really good idea, since it cuts out some fat from the egg and oil and adds a ton of fiber. 

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited April 2012
    Options

Sounds good to me.  Besides... I like black beans...Cool

• mb1024
    edited May 2012
    Options

My onc told me to juice, but I'm very lazy in the kitchen and work full time.  I bought Naked Juice - all natural with no preservatives and no added sugars.  Lots of veggies and fruits are included.  Anyone else buying juices instead of making? 

• Meggy
    Meggy Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2012
    Options

bump

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2012
    Options

Latest evidence shows that soy reduces the risk of BC recrurence, and the effects are particularly beneficial for TN women. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/study-links-soy-breast-cancer-prevention/article4350376/

I love soy milk on my morning cereal, and I have a glass at lunch too. Edamame beans are a terrific snack too - and 3 grams of fat in a half-cup.  

• JazzyJ
    JazzyJ Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hello! Yes, I too am lazy in the kitchen and work full time, and just lazy in the kitchen cause I can't cook (had to marry a chef). Anyway, I take naked juice and blend in a serving of protein powder, flaxseed, fish oil and vitamins. Drink a large glass every morning!

• Meggy
    edited July 2012
    Options

Does naked juice have salt....I cant eat salt...makes me swell. Where can I buy it?

Thanks for the info on soy!

I've started drinking tons of non-caffinated tea.  It has substituted so many vices for me lately.  I do it to keep me from drinking wine or from munching out on bad things.  I have made it a wonderful ritural....always out of a very pretty cup and I have so many flavors to chose from.  I eat a few Trader Joes cat cookies that contain almost nothing but with tea it seems like a real treat.

• Simplyblessed
    Simplyblessed Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Options

Question for you guys. How soon after dx did you all start changing eating habits? I am 7 days since my first chemo and I'm just trying to get by. I will do anything that I have to but am wondering did you all start after chemo was over with?

• Luah
    edited July 2012
    Options

Simply: I tried to exercise and eat fairly healthy throughout treatment and beyond. (It was good for energy levels). That said, during chemo, I ate whatever I felt like. That included occasional cravings for McD's angus burgers and chocolate milk - not exactly low fat! I wouldn't worry too much about diet while on chemo - try to make some good choices (fruits and veggies) among the things that taste good, but don't beat yourself up. The important thing is to have a healthy diet, long-term, going forward. 

• DesertMama
    DesertMama Member Posts: 25
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am really worried about my diet now too. I haven't wanted to eat anything since I started chemo. For the past 5 weeks I haven't eaten much besides yogurt and toast. I know they are not the healthiest choices, but it is all I can stomach. I try to sip fruit and protein smoothies too but it is an effort. I wasn't thrilled when the oncologist told me I would likely gain weight during chemo, but so far I have lost 9lbs, go figure.

And forget exercise- by the time I feel well enough to do anything, much less leave the house, it is time for another treatment.

I am in awe of you women who continue working through treatment! I am finding the chemo utterly debilitating. 

• Luah
    edited August 2012
    Options

Desert: Give yourself a break - chemo is hard on the body and it's important to rest up and be strong for the next onslaught. You may find it gets easier as you go on (Let's hope) and you can manage some light walking... wait and see. As for diet, I ate what I felt like on chemo - and that included (I'm embarassed to say) Angus burgers and chocolate milk from that infamous fast-food resto with the "golden arches." I tried to include some fruits and veggies as much as possible. But don't worry too much. After chemo, there will be plenty of time to work on a better nutritional balance. One day at a time....    

• Mumtobe
    Mumtobe Member Posts: 82
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ladies this is just golden to read, I just want to raid my fridge now adn throw out anything with a smidgen of fat in it. I am 7 months pregnant now and have to been warned by my nurses that I am not to lose any weight so I'm just wondering is it wise to start a no fat diet now, it will definitely something I will be doing after my baby is born. Exercise is the key though and I'm gonna head out for a good walk shortly, thank you for such motivation :) 

• Luah
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mum: Listen to your nurses and docs. And is there a nutritionist at the hospital where you're being treated? They'll give you some good advice.

Some fat is important, some fats are beneficial, and especially for development of baby. I would try and make healthy choices - lots of fruits and veggies - reduce unnecessary saturated fats and stay active. Save the diet for later. That said, there's a lot to be said for indulging a wee bit on chemo and eating what you feel like.  

• russem
    russem Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Options

Just a quick thank you for this thread. I'm 32, have a 1 year old and found a 4cm TNBC in my breast May 2012. I've had surgery and I've got two rounds of chemo to go but I have packed on the weight through chemo, I find the dry mouth and horrible taste only goes with comfort foods! I'm looking forward to a much healthier diet and this has given me so much more inspiration. So I thank you for that. Luckily I had dropped the weight from pregnancy prior to finding the cancer and I am still able to exercise lightly while doing chemo. I have a couple of low fat delicious meals which I'll post when I'm up and going again (I'm post chemo day today!) thanks again!!!

• Meggy
    edited February 2013
    Options

My new thing is drinking fake coffee (I can't handle caffein) and it keeps me feeling satisfied.  Its so filling and no limits on how many cups I have.  Tastes like real coffee.  Its called Perro.  I bought it on amazon.com.

• SusanLP
    SusanLP Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Options

Here is a news release about a study done at Fox Chase Cancer Center, an NCI center.  Researchers found that omega-3 fatty acids stop or slow the proliferation or growth in the number of cells, especially in triple negative cancers, much more than receptor positive breast cancers, reducing the proliferation by as much as 90%.  This was presented at the AACR (American Association for Cancer Research) last week (4/9/13).  This is special kind of essential fat found in fatty fish or supplements which apparently has different effects than the usual fats we consume.  The total fat in our diets, as the studies show, should still be low.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/259069.php

• Mumtobe
    Mumtobe Member Posts: 82
    edited April 2013
    Options

I have been a naughty girly lately. Last night for instance I had a potato waffle & a big chunk of pizza, it is rare I do it though. In fairness I had eaten 3 (they were small) chickpea burgers earlier. Please tell me you also have a fatty/unhealthy treat every now and then??!

• goingforward99
    goingforward99 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Options

Mum, Of course we all do!

• Liz1973
    Liz1973 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2013
    Options

Yes, I've been buying the Naked and Bolthouse Farms juices. They give you tons of all natural fruits and veggies without all the work involved in juicing yourself! They taste great, plus I add nutritional powders to them also. :).

• Meggy
    edited July 2013
    Options

Bump

• SewStrong
    SewStrong Member Posts: 151
    edited August 2013
    Options

Meggy, One thing I enjoy is a banana fruit smoothie. I freeze bananas in their own skin. I take out one or two and stick them in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just long enough to get the skin off but not long enough to thaw the bananas. I break them up in a blender, add a tiny bit of sweetener and a tad of skim milk. I add strawberries, blueberries, or other fruit that I like. I blend until smooth and eat it with a spoon. If you want it thinner, just add more milk. Some say not to use milk with breast cancer, but I saw a leading expert oncologist yesterday, who said it was ok for both types, just use skim. I also eat turkey burgers by Jenny-O. They have the least amount of fat. I use raw honey to sweeten my drinks and eat at least two carrots daily. You can also buy carrot juice at Kroger.

• carolpr56
    carolpr56 Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2013
    Options

Sharonanne- I read the most fantastic thing to do with kale(a superfood) -its perfect in smoothies, not veggy at all!

http://allsortsofpretty.com/kale-cubes-recipe/

Plus, if you use a 6 oz container of non- fat yogurt and a little extra frozen fruit Wth that banana, it's just like soft serve ice cream! Fantastic!

• Meggy
    edited August 2013
    Options

I really want to try to the frozen banana plus berries....Dr. Oz talked about a contracption called "yonana" that makes it into icecream.  Anyone tried it?

• Meggy
    edited October 2013
    Options

Since it's fall, I take canned pumpkin and put it in a bowl with some cinnemon and pumpkin pie spice and microwave. Such a comforting dish with no sugar and not fat. Add some yummy apple/cinemon tea and so good.