Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Easy, Low Fat Food that Can Save A Triple Negative Life

Options

Comments

• Meggy
    Meggy Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2010
    Options

Shrimp is natuarlly almost fat free.  What a treat.  Instead of butter garlic sauce, I make lemon garlic wine sauce...over whole grain pasta...almost no fat at all but very decadent feeling.  Some french bread have almost no fat and it goes nicely wit it. I make a salad and just use balsamic vinegar as my dressing. Or I mix it with upscale mustards to make  a supper yummer totally fat free salad dressing.

• Meggy
    edited January 2011
    Options

One thing I do if I am forced to eat out say becasue of a birthday is I make sure my breakfast is almost fat free with a whole grain cereal.  Then I do a really low fat lunch (my skinny tacos with vegetarian beans).  That way, I've barely had any grams of fat by the time I eat the meal I am worried about.  By the end of the day I might still be over (restaurants really are so bad), but not by much.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2011
    Options

Happy belated Birthday. I hope you enjoyed it!

• moe0279
    moe0279 Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2011
    Options

Ladies, i need help, i want to change my diet to a low fat diet, but i have 2 little ones at home and a limited income...can any of you give suggestions on low fat family meals...(i don't cook lots, my DH does)lol  We do eat all meats etc...i find this part of my process very intimidating...

can anyone direct me to any sights that have suggested meals, etc for tn ladies...? 

• jlee9710
    jlee9710 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options

Just remember you don't have to change everything right away, maybe try one new recipe a week.  Also, sometimes, I just cook separate for myself so the family has something yummier like spareribs and I will have plain chicken.  I eat oatmeal for breakfast most mornings.  Just keep at it, good luck :)

• Meggy
    edited February 2011
    Options

Beans are a good source of protein and cheap...nearly fat free.  I buy canned, already cooked beans and make all kinds of mexican foods (tacos, burritos, etc.) I even buy pre-cooked brown rice (I cook as little as possible)...that fills me up with no added fat at all.  I find that if one of my meals (lunch or dinner) is really "skinny" like this, it makes up for any little mistakes I may make at the other meal.  I come up with a nice low gram of fat count at the end of the day.

White chicken is fairly cheap.  I buy dark meat for the kids and white for me.  Just pour some yummy low or fat free sauce over it and bake.  Recently I cooked it in red wine...hope the bad part of the alchohol really burns off.  

For breakfast, if you want eggs, use egg beaters and add just one real egg to the batch.  It makes the consistency just like regular eggs.  I dont put any oil in the pan...just use a really good non-stick pan. 

I have all kinds of hot sauces to make things taste different each time.  Read the label though, some sauces have fat but lots dont.  

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2011
    Options

Moe - try hitting the low fat cook books or magazines for ideas.  If the kids are young enough, they'll probably eat a lot of what you do if you present it as a regular meal.  I use 93/7 ground turkey because the consistency is more like ground meat - I use it in spaghetti, stuffed peppers, mexican night, meatloaf - with enough seasoning it tastes good.  I recently started using Ms. Dash Herb & Garlic seasoning - tastes great on roasted veggies and on baked or grilled chicken and fish (rubbed with a little olive oil).  Also, shiskabobs (sp??) are a fun way to create healthy meals, mixing up shrimp, chicken, beef with all kinds of veggies, peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic, mushrooms....... I usually mix or rub the food with some olive oil, then season it accordingly.  I also like to marinate chicken in a variety of seasonings, teriyaki w/olive oil and lots of garlic is a favorite in our house.  We also like grilled sweet potatoes, I slice them up in thin, but not so thin they fall apart, rub in olive oil, salt and pepper and grill until tender - yummy.   As for snacks for the kids, don't buy the processed "good stuff", start with keeping already cut up veggies (w/dip for the kids), hummus, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheese sticks - they'll get used to it. 

Good luck!!!

• Meggy
    edited March 2011
    Options

Bump

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2011
    Options

Meggy - I thought someone else came along and gave us a new food idea.  But.........since that isn't the case I'll share something my oldest daughter recently cooked and it was so good.  She is a vegetarian, has been for 20 years.  She sauteed down onions, lots of garlic and chopped kale, then mixed it with cooked quiona. - It doesn't sound like much, but OMG it was so good and incredibly satisfying - my blood sugar was good and I didn't get hungry for several hours - I didn't even get that sweet tooth I normally get after a meal.  She said she likes to make big batches of this to hold her over for a few days.  She eats it as is or cold in a wrap with other veggies. 

• Meggy
    edited April 2011
    Options
  • Meggy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bump

• Meggy
    edited May 2011
    Options

I eat low fat low salt low suger chocolate cat cookies from trader Joes when I get the munchies.  It just doesn't do much damage but makes me feel I'm not deprived.

• yizbieta
    yizbieta Member Posts: 77
    edited June 2011
    Options

Hi All! Great to see this link/post - I had made it a favorite and then forgot about it for a while.

Anyway- had some questions but have forgotten them! Will return when they do!! Good information, all! 

Thank you!

(Geez!!!!)

• Meggy
    edited June 2011
    Options

I buy canned pumpkin like you use to make pumpkin pies.  I just sprinkle a little nutmeg over it and heat it in the microwave.  It is very comforting, totally healthy, no fat at all and almost no sugar.  You could add a little brown sugar or low fat whipped cream if you have a real craving.

• mccrimmon324
    mccrimmon324 Member Posts: 794
    edited June 2011
    Options

That pumpkin idea sounds great, think I might try it tonight.

• Meggy
    edited July 2011
    Options

bump

• Meggy
    edited July 2011
    Options

Sometimes when I want something sweet and starchy...I just toast a couple of pieces of toast to perfection and then sprinkle a lot of cinemon on it...it tastes just like the cinemon/sugar/butter toast I used to eat as a kid.  Very satisfying.  You could actually use cinemon/sugar if you need a fix.  Almost no fat at all. 

• NotSoBusty
    NotSoBusty Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Options

Can beer be my 20%?

Sorry, couldn't help myself! I am kind excited to start eating better. I just hope I can get the man on board. I am not a short order cook. This is a whole new way of thinking for this girl. I loves my sweets!

Thanks for al the great ideas. I will be back for more reading in this thread!

• NotSoBusty
    NotSoBusty Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Options

Can beer be my 20%?

Sorry, couldn't help myself! I am kind excited to start eating better. I just hope I can get the man on board. I am not a short order cook. This is a whole new way of thinking for this girl. I loves my sweets!

Thanks for al the great ideas. I will be back for more reading in this thread!

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited August 2011
    Options

Interesting study about fibre intake reducing risk of breast cancer. Not TN specific, but some good tips on how to get more fibre in our diets. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/new-health/health-nutrition/leslie-beck/can-bran-flakes-protect-you-from-breast-cancer/article2117068/

• Meggy
    edited September 2011
    Options

Bump

• Meggy
    edited October 2011
    Options

I like salmon....it is not too high in fat but not super low either.  I squeeze lemon over it and thyme and then put a bunch of lemon slices on top and pop it into the oven for 30 mintues.  Just so easy..wtih some zero fat rice and zero fat veggies...everything highly seasoned. 

• Luah
    edited October 2011
    Options

Salmon is pretty fatty, but I console myself that it is good fat (omega 3) and we need those in our diet, while limiting others. Wild-caught, west coast (coho) salmon is lower in fat, higher in flavor (and cost, unfortunately).

• Meggy
    edited January 2012
    Options

bump

• christina1961
    christina1961 Member Posts: 450
    edited January 2012
    Options

Meggy,

I have been making veggie soup in the crock pot with a can of beans, fresh onion, potatoes, a can of crushed tomatoes, celery, bag of frozen corn, and carrots.  I use vegetable broth packets (can't remember who makes them), GOYA tomato seasoning in the jar (kind of spicy), a bay leaf, oregano, basil, and parsley, salt/pepper to taste.  I freeze the leftovers.  I really like the addition of the GOYA seasoning - it makes a really good broth.

• sharon9281
    sharon9281 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Options

Angelsabove....I, too, have read that sugar feeds cancer cells but there are ways to sweeten that are natural and don't spike the glycemic levels.  I've been using Organic Raw Blue Agave.  There are various types of agave.  Here is what it says on the label.  "Wholesome Sweeteners' (that's the brand) organic raw agave is a natural sweetener extracted from the heart of the agave plant. It is produced at a low temperature and has a full sweet flavor with subtle molasses tones.  Agave is a low glycemic index (GI) sweetener, so it is slowly absorbed into the body preventing spikes in blood sugar. It is 25% sweeter than sugar, so you need less. A perfect multipurpose sweetener, use wherever you would use table sugar."  

I read about this in the book "Anti-Cancer" and also on a recent Dr. Oz he mentiioned agave as a good substitute for sugar.

Hope this is helpful. 

• Meggy
    edited March 2012
    Options

OK...a just learned you can take popcorn kernals and put 1 cup in a paper bag (like a lunch bag) and pop in the microwave.  So delicious.  You can top with garlicsalt or ceyene pepper or whatever you like.  No fat at all and a true comfort food.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yep living4toda...Jackie Warner's books recommend sticking the spinach in the smoothie and so does Montel Wms....I like it just mix up your protein shake ever how you like it i like a no sugar version of whey protein,throw in a handful of triple washed organic raw spinach and a handful of berries,you can even put in a little flaxseed oil or olive oil if you like,personally I dont sometimes I put in a spoonful of dark cocoa which has no flavor and some soymilk or raw milk or organic milk and I have sometimes used orange juice or the green goddess juice and put it all in a blender. Basically you have your fruits,veggies and proteins all right there..I think its a good way to get a milk down the throat in a hurry and out the door, I take my boiled egg with me to work and eat that as a snack and maybe some organic baby carrots, My co workers think I am totally bonkers and I am the one who gets cancer while they sit with their curly fries..hmm.just got a @$%%^$&& bad inherited gene I guess, my onc dr is gonna have a genetic testing lady call me and get the brca test. why not..I say lets do it, I got my bmx and my TE and my ARimedex lets see what else they can test me for??LOL

• sandik
    sandik Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2012
    Options

Great thread! Anyone use the "my fitness pal" app? Keeps track of calories, fat, sugar, exercise, everything. You can scan a barcode, then just type in how much you had. I just downloaded it yesterday, but I'm really liking it!

• Luah
    edited April 2012
    Options

This study is from 2010... I knew veggies were good for preventing cancer, and cruciferous ones especially.... but this study shows cruciferous and CARROTS are uniquely positive for TNs.http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/172/11/1268.full.pdf 

And just last month, there was this result - from 18 studies looking at over a million women.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22277553

The author was quoted as saying: "We are excited about the findings because there are so few ways to prevent or treat estrogen-negative breast cancer..." 

So eat your carrots, ladies. Dark green or deep orange fruits and vegggies are carotenoid-rich.