MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    I was part of a drumming circle one time during a grief counselling session. I, too, found it empowering. There were about 30 of us, some of us not knowing what to expect. I tried drumming off-beat to throw everyone off (what a troublemaker I am! Embarassed) but what that did (a leader noticed) is that her and I became an under-tone kind of beat...if you know what I mean. Kind of like an accent. I don't know what to call it, but it did show me that everything can become a rythym (sp?) no matter how qualified you are in life.
  • robbiedrums
    robbiedrums Member Posts: 14
    Amen to that, barbe!!!! Rhythm exists within and around all of us.  It is our preconceived notion that we do not have rhythm that makes us feel we cannot be rhythmical.  I think that made sense.  To answer faithandfifty I think I was drawn to this group by the name, it just caught my eye, and then by the lead off picture of the four women sitting on the couch, they resonated something in me.  But in all honesty, I think I just listened to my Jiminy Cricket and went with it.  Glad I did. :)
  • elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    robbie, well, providence could be at work if that picture that caused you to post here.  I change that pic regularly (about twice a week, at least) and it's been anything from seasonal pics, to fantasy creatures, to the Rapa Nui (Easter Island) heads.  You just never know what is going to show up next.
  • cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Ok....time to man up and ship out. I have not idea why I am so scared about this zometa. More scared than surgery. I guess surgery I was happy to be getting cancer out! This seems more like a science experiment. Also it's my first time in the chemo area. I took a claritin, that is supposed to help with the aches.

See you on the other side!

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

Cookie...deep breath and exxxxxxxhhhhhaaaaalllllleeeeee...

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

You can do it if you try -

V   I   C   T   O   R   Y!

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooo Cookie!

Everyone's different. I hope the zometa isn't too bad for you. I hear good things about what it does.

But I hate surprises and the unexpected. I also don't like being a science experiment subject. So I get why you're worried. I hope it goes well.

Robbiedrums et al - I have NEVER heard of "drumming" or "drum therapy" or whatever. I have mental images of men out in the woods doing "man camps" for some reason... I suppose things that make you bond on a semi-spiritual level with others in a non-verbal way are often healing, and music is healing, so it kind of makes sense. Still...

• cookiegal

Home, so far so good. I took claritin and tylenol and a ton of water. We went to the gourmet store and splurged on some good quality groceries in case I fall ill.

Thanks for the support!!!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Cookie. So glad to hear you conquered all of the "unknowns" and great to reward yourself with some good groceries.

Wishing you well.

Middies. I got a new illustration quasi-finished up today for my next picture book. I'm actually making progress!!! It's great not to be in constant pain. Making progress, playing-in-my-studio helps my heart & brain which helps the pain receed. Pretty awesome to be in this cycle. Progress = Less Pain = Progress)

xx00xx00xx00xx

• robbiedrums

Elimar: I love that you used the word providence in it's original form.  It's also the name of my state's capital city.  :) 

Cookie! Blessed be and so happy to hear you are home and treating yourself to what you want/need.  We are doing a drumming demonstration at a B/C charity event this Saturday.  Strong vibes will be sent to you as we will pay tribute to your accomplishment by drumming in your honor (if that is okay with you). All will be confidential and no information will be used other than, "May we focus this beat on an amazing woman who recently underwent a new treatment.  She braved her fears with a strong spirit and has inspired all who know her.  Let us honor her now."

Kleenex: I know it sounds like men retreating into the woods to cry and pound on drums, but that is only on the third Saturday of each month.  ;)  In all seriousness vast amounts of research has been coordinated to prove the benefits of drumming with a multitude of populations, specifically humans.  There is one study that actually proved drumming can increase Natural Killer cells.  Go to www.remo.com and click on the Health Rhythms icon for more information.

Peace :)

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hey, robbie..i had great experiences with drumming here in s. fla... had a woman who was awsome, we were in a healing centre, then, and thee vibrations kept rattling their invenyory; and the power was from our vibrations, not the loudness of the drums.it was based on native  american drumming and chants, really healing.. i signed up for a group at Gildas club here in ft. laud.; but not enough ple. signed up  (i need 2 call and see again..) a group of my sistahs and i went out to everglades, and drummed on full moon 2-3 times, but too many mosquitos and alligators 4 me. i can tell u, i really felt like i was getting in touch with my warrior woman.  where do u do these circles? i so admire u for making it an integral part of ur life... did u read woman who runs with wolves..( its close, but i dont remember name of book) have 2 get it out again, and dust it off.. pm me anytime, too..light and love,    3jaysmom

• cookiegal

Robbie...that's fine with me! Thanks for the good vibrations!

So far so good. SE's are pretty mild, who knows what tomorrow will bring? It's kind of cool that a treatment can help with both osteoporosis and BC.

Thanks for all the support.

FAITH ...I saw a lady with a tiger-stripe lymphedema sleve!!! Thought your would love it. It was quite dramatic and looked like a costume.

Finally, I went to a new dermatologist today and he was so nice. He said at the end of the appointment, "I wish I could fix all your problems!" (referring to the BC and frozen shoulder) I think it was the most human reaction I have ever had from a doctor. It was kind of moving.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

robbie--thanks for bringing a new element into our 'tool kit' of bc coping and fighting!  I've been doing a litte internet research on drumming and it's very interesting. I'm thinking about trying to find a group or at least a session somewhere here in Maine whereI can get to it.  I'd like to try it and see what it's like.  There's an active Native American population in the area, I'm hoping I can find something through one of the activities they have during the summers here. 

cookie--isn't it great when someone in the health care field is actually human!  I'm so glad you had that experience.  Even if he can't fix everything at least he acknowledged the problem existed and it's hard to deal with!  And gormet food is ALWAYS a good thing (in moderation)!

faith--Yeah!  Nothing like progress to make you feel, well, productive!

kleenex--I'm with you--no surprises, tell me EVERYTHING you are going to do and I'm going to see, hear, feel, what to expect and when to expect it, and the why of every one of these things. And I want to know all this BEFORE anything starts.   

• robbiedrums

3jaysmom: there is a list of drum circle facilitators through Remo.com.  Go to their site and click on Health Rhythms, if you enter your zip code where it says Find a Facilitator it should give you a list of drum circle facilitators in your area.  I will most certainly check out Woman Runds with Wolves.  Thank you for the knowledge and great to hear you had such a positive drumming experience.  :)

cookie: glad to hear you are doing well, you must be sending some beautiful vibes to people having a health care professional be so human to you.  :)  Thank you for the permission to honor you this weekend.  On the 19th we are doing a major event called Thundering Pink and will honor all my new found friends here at the sexy and dangerous MIDDLE AGED WOMEN 40 - 60ish chat forum.  :)

Native Mainer: it is an honor to be accepted here.  You too can find groups in Maine through the same means I told 3jaysmom about (look at my answer to her in this box).  A very dear friend of mine lives in the Kenduskeag area of Maine.  Love that state. 

Have a great day Ladies!!!!!

• smithlme

We have a group where I live called "Attitudinal Healing." They start each meeting with an hour of drumming before. They also have a drumming circle several times a year. For some reason I get weird vibes when I go. It could be that it's new to me and I'm uncomfortable. They have an underground space where they have a fire ring in the middle and light candles along the walls. I asked if they do animal or human sacrifices because it looked like some place out of a voo doo movie. He laughed until he saw I was serious. Maybe I'll bring a friend with me next time and see if I can relax there.

I have a really large wind chime my husband gave me and the tones are incredible. It hangs in the corner of our bedroom and I use it to center myself.

Linda

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

Linda - I have a large wind chime in my garden and if my bedroom window is open I can hear it all night - it is very soothing to me especially helps me get back to sleep if I wake in the middle of the night.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• cookiegal

ok...my previous report on the zometa was premature. It was pretty rough. Early this morning the bone pain was so bad I could feel every breath. Little bit better now but I was super dizzy all day. Hopefully will feel better tomorrow.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Feel better, Cookie!   Maybe the drumming will help???

Thoughts, wishes, prayers, vibes, drumming, laying-on of hands, burnt offerings, jinx-b-gone spell candles...'cause you just never know, do you?   To each their own.

• smithlme

Awwww Cookie. That just sucks. Do you have any pain meds???

• cookiegal

It's nice to think about the drumming. Have been taking tylenol, will probably try some dilauded 2 nite. Have celebrex and lyrica too.Peace.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Cookie, Your avatar says it all "One Tough Cookie".  You can do this!!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

You can do this.

Cookies to you, Cookiest.

xx00xx00xx00xx

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

Strength and courage.

• robbiedrums

Heading out soon. Between 2 and 3 EDST we will be drumming for you cookie and for all of you Warrior Queens.  Be strong Cookie.  You ARE the TOUGHEST Cookie.

Smithlme - we stopped sacrificing humans years ago, now it's just small animals and politicians.  KIDDING!!!!!  Drumming does however bring up a lot of feelings, like a flood rises that which lies on the bottom to the surface.  You are wise to be with a friend next time.  Go as far as you, but don't push yourself too hard.  Listen to what your heart, not your fears, is telling you.

Suzwes - we have some bamboo windchimes that remind me of the beginning of Steely Dan's Ricky Don't Lose That Number whenever they bounce in the breeze.  So relaxing.  :)

Love and Light my Friends,

Rob

• cookiegal

Feeling much better today:) Just stiff and tired with a sore back.

Last night was crazy, first time ever I actually fainted!(I was getting up from the can.) My poor husband freaked out because my eyes were open. but I was unresponsive.

I "came to" when I head him calling 911...I was like what are you doing, no way am I going in an ambulance!

So that was an interesting experience.

My cousin's cancer fundraiser is tomorrow morning on long island, and I am hoping to make it.

Have a good weekend!!

• robbiedrums

Cookie: We sent some love to you today.  About 15 of us banged, shook, and rattled our prayers and good vibes to you and the rest of the 40 - 60ish crew.  Hope you are doing well.  Glad to hear you convinced your hubby to not get an ambulance for you.  Take care!

• cookiegal

Thank you!!!! I really appreciate it!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

cookie, u r a brave girl BUT u need 2 find out what caused u 2 faint! go 2 ur dr. this wk and let them ck. u out...robbie, thanks for the info u sent me for circles. have been sick, so i havent anwered urs yet. tommorrow is colonoscopy, im freaking out, and when im not freakin, im prayin..which 4 me is the answer 2 freakin.  talk later,  3jaysmom

• cookiegal

Hope everybody is having a good weekend!

Feeling MUCH better today. Even made it out to LI for my cousin's fundraiser. I have a week of very big decisions about work and where we will live. Hugs to all.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

Great to hear from you Cookie!  Make sure you take time to take care of yourself this week, too!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Hugs to you Cookie, hope all goes well for you.

Hi to all, have been working a lot and trying to keep up with garden.  We had lots of rain lots week 5 1/2" so far.  joints have been sore not sure if it is the long hours, the gardening, the meds or just age!!! 

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

Oh Cookie Frown Hang in there sweetie. I wish I could send you some magical vibe and take away all the pain. Here's prayers and go mojo just for you.