MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

I watered our garden last night and today it's raining...figures! I added two more solar butterflies to the back yard so another area is all twinkley. We have them all over our yards. My husband fixed his tiki pole and put in at the entrance to the forrest. The yard is shaping up well. We have a pair of red headed wood peckers that have found our bird feeders. They are quite entertaining to hear and watch...

Linda

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

i duess my "bucket list " is too short, but i asked 4 a miracle, and i got it! so, guess i need to make a short list, also. i was so sick, my cancer almost doubled in size be4 we got to surgery..(it actually was 2 masses so close 2gether they thought 1) i prayed God would allow me 2 live for my grandson to remember me. he's 21/2 now, and, in Dec.his little sister was born..i almost died from comp. of cheme, but yesterday went to my pool here w/ both of them. that's the miracle, here, to enjoy them...Fischer 21/2; and Finley5 mos. still trying to learn 2 get darn pix on posts. a lesson coming 2morrow 2 do just that! congrats on the grandchild, and so many birthdays..I just love this site.  Meece, still praying for ur DDs for Gods will. i have 2 adopted sons, grown now...

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
    3jaysmom,  Glad you are feeling well enough to fullfill your "grandma duties."  You will have a blessed summer with those two little ones around.  I am getting a kick out of you at the pool with Fischer and Finley. Ha-ha!
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

good catch, Elimar!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

3jaysmom's post was baited.

Today is my one year Cancerversary!! Mamo. today was great. I also got my hair cut and colored. I really feel great! Tomorrow my middle daughter turns 21 and my son takes off to L.A. for an internship, I'm just going to enjoy today and worry about tomorrow.  

• eph3_12

Hip Hip Hooray Lisa for great cancerversary mammos!  Worry is like a rocking chair-gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere! 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,900

YEAH PAULDING!

• smithlme

Congrats Paulding! A good haircut always makes me feel good.

• 3jaysmom

wow pauldingmom!!congrats...good mamo and a haircut and color. i have new color, not enough hair for cut, its over a year  (sigh) u have a great mem. day, birthdays, etc, celebrate life Lahaim sp?   3jaysmom

• elimar
    PauldingMom, Happy Cancerversary!!!   Also, thanks for reminding me...I have been wondering about your hair for a while now.  There was no way that your smiley face avatar was still representative of your actual head at this point.  Maybe one day you will surprise us with the new and improved version, 'specially since you got a fab new 'do today.  I like how you scheduled your mammo on your cancerversary date, too.  Very bold and optimistic; like prying the day right back out of the jaws of the B/C Beast!  Fearless!
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

COngrats, Paulding!  On the cancerversary, the mammo and the great hair doo!  Getting a good hairstyle is really something to celebrate!Wink

I am with, Elimar, I'd like to see your new style.  Although I love your avatar, so maybe you could just post a new pic.  I remember when Joni updated her avatar.  It was really wonderful to see how her hair had grown.

3jaysmom, Thank you.  DS in still in Afghanastan so things are not moving too fast at this time.

• smithlme

Meece,

I remember the slow crawl time did when my son was in Iraq both times. It's a feeling unlike any other. Stay strong and know that my thoughts and prayers are with your DS and all of our military...and a big hug to you.

After 8 years, my son is being medically retired on June 28. It will be another milestone in his life and a day to celebrate...

Linda

• eph3_12

Yeah-I keep meaning to give you all a full frontal view (gasp) but I keep forgetting cause I have a swiss cheese brain!

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

Hi all. I've been trying to use the computer a little less.

The good news- I am seeing progress on the shoulder situation. Really slow progress, but it's there. I also had a job interview yesterday, my first since BC.

The not-as-good. I have to have an MRI today. Not a breast MRI, but for the shoulder. I am really anxious. The only other MRI I ever had was the breast after I was diagnosed, and it was traumatic. The machine broke down with me in it...I was in there forever, and had to go back and do it again. If there was no contrast I could deal with it. Also my husband will be at work, and as it is 7:30 PM on Memorial day weekend, I can't imagine imposing on anyone else to go with me, plus they can't go in the room anyway.

So I am sure I will deal with it, but eek!

Have a great weekend everyone else!!!!

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

Cookie dearest. When I had my shoulder MRI it was in an "open" MRI machine, made all the difference in the world. Don't know if you'll be so fortunate, but know that I will be thinking of you in the midst of the clanging. We of the shoulder-issues must stick together.

While I'm giving a shout-out to Cookie, I think I'll go public with this morsel of news.

Cookie has been after me to spend some time to "write a book" about my relationship to my dear friend Saint, who most of you may remember went on to sing in the heavenly choir in March of this year.

Well Cookie. I have begun it. Seriously. I've started.

I figure that letting this thread know, might be enough motivation to keep me dedicated to the project. It's all about dedication & finding the time. The story is near & dear to my heart and an easy one to commit to the keyboard. Prioritizing the time is another matter, but it has begun!

So every now & then one of you dear middies might prompt me with a question regarding progress.

Just one other mention specifically, Kleenex: I too appreciated your chronicle of the band journey.

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend.

My DH surprised me with tickets last night to go see a college production of the musical Pippin' and we both LOVED it! The dancing was truly fantastic.

xx00xx00xx00xx

Edited because I can't type: LOL

• eph3_12

The bad stuff has already happened.  Unless you are the type of person that lightening might strike twice, this MRI today will be a piece of cake, Cookie.   Will be thinking strong thoughts for you at 4:30 my time!  Joni

• cookiegal

yea for the book!!!!

I have zometa for the first time next week, and I am sure that will be much worse than the MRI...so I should really calm down about it.

I'm not clostraphobic, but I hate IV's, unless they have morphine attached.:)   Thanks for the moral support!!!

At least this is at the cancer center, which I am familiar with. 

Yesterday (the interview) was probably the first time I did not think about cancer for a whole day. So it happens. I was on the bus back(since I still can't drive) and I had a moment of......Oh that's right I had cancer....can you believe that?

BTW...faith...they prescribed for me anti inflammitory gel....it reduced the swelling in my arm a lot!!!

My cancer arm actually looked less swollen than my good arm.

• Meece

Faith, I open my wallet this afternoon and out popped Pat's address for the birthday cards.  I immediately thought of you and wanted to pass on a big (((((((((((((((((((((HUG)))))))))))))))))))))) as soon as I could!

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Pat must be contacting us from heaven because yesterday I was going thru my address book and came across her address also!

It has been 2 years since the phone call came that I had BC, but I refuse to dwell on that side of Memorial day weekend because it is also the 8th anniversary of my DH and my first date!

Hope everyone has a fun weekend!

• PauldingMom

This one is for Eph3-12

the back, I've never had "good" hair back here.

Ugh! Oh well it is what it is. I hate taking pics. of myself

• elimar

Lookin' good for summer, PauldingMom!  Did your hair come back curlier like a lot of the women write that it does?  That made me wonder about really straight Asian hair. 

Hey, Omaha, how are ya?  Haven't heard from you in a while.  I was starting to think you ran off with our thread mascot, the luscious Mr. Man that we virtually created.  My suspicions now turn to One-L, whom we have not seen around these parts lately.

Cookie, hope the MRI went smoothly.  I know you won't find out about the shoulder for some days, but hope they get to the bottom of that problem.  I think the contrast dye is what I don't like about the MRI.  I felt queasy one time.  The loud noise...no problem.  I try and find the groove in all the clanging and pretend I am at an industrial music dance party.  I give all the various clanging segments song titles, like "Hummingbird with a Sledgehammer."  The time just flies.

spring Pictures, Images and PhotosHave a great holiday weekend Everyone!

• cookiegal

Hi...the good news, I did a very long walk today I have always wanted to do. (Up over the ward's Island bridge, from the UES)

The MRI was pretty unplesant. I guess they have some strong machines at MSK....even before the contrast, I felt twitchy in my arms, and my frozen shoulder was miserable. Even my breast, teeth, and head hurt. Ironically some of what I thought was the contrast I felt anyway. They did not do the contrast until the end. But I survived, and went home and watched basketball and had a pb&j and pringles.

They were doing my spine more than my shoulder I think. I just started wondering today, are they looking for spine mets? Gulp! I guess if I get a call from my onc on Tuesday, I'll know. I got my biopsy results after a holiday weekend, so maybe I am just freaking myself out.

Have fun all y'all!!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Ah Cookie! You done good! Laughing
  • PauldingMom

Cookie girl-I've never had an MRI but from what you said I don't think I ever want one. Way to be a trooper and get through it!

• Meece

five years ago I had my first breast MRI.  Face down with arms straight over my head for close to two hours.

The next ones the had earphones like they used to use in airplanes.  The type that were hollow tubes (no electrical wires) and they played music, a song for each segment.  Still arms over my head but about an hour.  

The last one I went to didn't have music but the past two times I had it, they had a "bed" that made it so you didn't have to lie flat, and your arms are bent sightly lower than the table.

That and it now takes less than 30 mninutes.  They also have a sort of tube you look into which shows the end of the machine, so you don't feel so confined.  They always use earplugs so your ears don't hurt.  The only "tingling I've had was that I couldn't get my wedding ring off and it vibrated.  I have also had head MRIs, the noise is the same with them all.

They've come a long way, baby!

• cookiegal

I would take a PEM or PET any day of the week over this. Glad that's behind me though. Looking forward to a fun weekend...hope others are doing the same.

• Meece

When I had my pre-chemo PET, the Pet Scan machine broke mid scan.  ghey had to take me out of it, and send me acrossed town to a different machine because I already had the radioactive stuff in me.

• 3jaysmom

Elimar...that hummingbird is gorgeous!!!thank u for that!   3jays mom    ladies, i hope ur mem.day holiday is great...what does it mea "baiting?"

• Meece
    Where was that used, 3jays?
  • cookiegal

I went to the US open the day of my pet scan and set off the alarms!

The cop said to me, "did you have a stress test?"

I said, "No, but I have had almost everthing else"

He said (Insert Brooklyn accent here)"Didn't think youse looked like a terrorist."

:)