Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HER2 Positive-anyone 10 years out?

Options

Comments

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2017
    Options

Does nine years count? I was diagnosed in May of 2008. I had a lumpectomy, 12 treatments of Taxol/Herceptin, radiation, and a year's worth of Herception infusions. I've had some health problems since (chemo-induced peripheral neuropathy, Hodgkin's lymphoma), but here I am! And telling all of you who are dealing with this very difficult situation that there are many of us who survived those dark days and are enjoying life. Wishing you all a complete recovery, good health, and happy days.

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2017
    Options

Happy birthday to you!!

• Richgirl
    Richgirl Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2017
    Options

hello, I'm not very savvy with posting or computers. But anyway, I had Her 2 positive in 2007 with stage 3 & Lymph nodes positive.Went through double mastectomy, chemo, Radiation & a year of herceptin. That was 10 years ago & im cancer free. I don't know anymore about my illness as I never understood a lot of it. But I hope this helps. I hope your all doing fine today. I always wanted to join a blog. I guess that's what they call this. I'd been trying to figure out how to get on one of these for awhile. I must have done something right. Ha ha. Have a nice day. Richgirl

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,056
    edited May 2017
    Options

Hi Richgirl - Welcome to Breastcancer.org and thank you for posting! We're sorry you had to join us for this reason, but at the same time we're happy to hear you're cancer free after 10 years!

Let us know if you need help navigating the boards or the main site. We're always here!

Best wishes,

The Mods

• AliceS
    AliceS Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2017
    Options

Fabulous, Richgirl!!!! Wonderful news---keep posting and reminding us!!

Stephanie

• tara17
    tara17 Member Posts: 150
    edited May 2017
    Options

richgirl--great news! Thanks for inspiring the rest of us and I wish you every success and happiness!

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2017
    Options

I was diagnosed in November 2006. I am doing well with no problems.

• 6cats
    edited June 2017
    Options

Congrats Richgirl and Sassa!!! I still have a few years to go to reach 10 years free... but am excited for each person I see posting!!!

And richgirl... congrats for finally getting online here!

• Richgirl
    edited June 2017
    Options
    • thank you very much
  • Richgirl
    edited June 2017
    Options

thank you very much

• Richgirl
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thank you very much

• Richgirl
    edited June 2017
    Options

thank you very much

• Richgirl
    edited June 2017
    Options

thank you very much

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2017
    Options

just back from my twleve year Onc visit, orig dx stage IIIC dx, 12 out. of 14 pos nodes, her 2pos. Lymph & vascular invasion, no clear surgical margins, Paget's of the nipple, bal , blah,blah. Really really sad faces and rotten prognosis I.

I am well, living and laughing every day... Eternally grateful for the life I have.

Only advise.. Fight the beast with everything you have and live fearlessly

• 6cats
    edited June 2017
    Options

Way to go LindaK. I'm 4yrs her2 clear... in the middle of a minor bump in the road with a new hormone positive cancer contralateral breast. But none of that nasty her2. Congrats on your 12 years!

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2017
    Options

lkc,

What a wonderful post! Here's to you!

• dharmamama
    dharmamama Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2017
    Options

I randomly decided to check the boards here. I am 8 plus out ! I did have a little brain met in 2011, but the rest of my body remained completely free of cancer. That nasty little bugger didn't have a chance. Completely NED since then:)

Jessica

• Pipandor
    Pipandor Member Posts: 130
    edited September 2017
    Options

That's great Dharmamama! Thanks for coming back. One question: were you treated for the brain met?

• AliceS
    edited September 2017
    Options

Dharmamama--Fabulous to see your post and thank you for posting--so glad you "randomly" found this thread! So happy for you that you're living your life the way you should be!! Just wondering what your treatments were--TCH?? You didn't post that. Also, do you have a certain diet or lifestyle that's helping to keep you healthy? 

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,472
    edited September 2017
    Options

Dhar-that is great!  I am heading towards 16 years as a survivor, but not NED.

• denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    edited September 2017
    Options

Next month, I will be 6 years out and was only able to have 3 months of Herceptin because of heart damage. I am doing great!

I have talked to countless women who are now over 10 years out and who were Her2Pos.

Met one gal while getting a pedicure. She spotted my Lymphedema sleeve and came over to talk. She was only in her 20s

when diagnosed with Stage 3 Her 2 Pos. She said she put her life on hold for 10 years. When she made it to 10 years, she decided

to start Cosmetology School as it was something she always wanted to do.

She brought me much hope that day!

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited September 2017
    Options

Denise what a heartwarming and hope giving story. Thanks for sharing it.

• Saadia1
    Saadia1 Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi Denise-g

Just wanted to drop a note saying that I have read many of your posts both here on this Website as well as your blog. You give me (and I am sure many other women) so much hope and inspiration. Every time I freak out about suviving this disease I think of you and I am able to breathe. Thank you.

To Denise and all the other long term survivors.

Keep doing what you are doing. Newbies like me need to hear long term survival stories and get as much encouragement and hope as possible. And that's what you and many other women on this forum are doing. So thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Saadia

• tara17
    edited September 2017
    Options

i just want to echo what saadia said about Denise! Denise, you truly care about making a difference for the women who are walking this path ---you are a star! Thank you!

• AliceS
    edited September 2017
    Options

Denise--So good to see your post. You have been one of the ones from the beginning who encouraged me. And how is your sister?

Cyber hugs and best wishes to all--

Stephanie

• kimm992
    kimm992 Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2017
    Options

I agree Denise! Your posts have always been such a huge light for me when I've been going through dark times. You are such a blessing to everyone on these boards!

• traceyz
    traceyz Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2017
    Options

Hi Ladies!!

My name is Tracey and I will be 10 years out this coming spring!! I was diagnosed in 2008 with ER- PR+ HR+. My tumor was 2.9CM and I was stage 2B. I had adrimyacen/cytoxin and Taxotere. Followed by a year of Herceptin. By the grace of GOD I have been healthy ever since!! I did a bilateral with reconstruction. Expanders to implants. I am still on Tamoxifen.

I was always one who worked out but since the diagnosis I stepped it up more. I work out 5 days a week combining running and weight training. I no longer eat meat. I don't have anything against meat it just scares me! LOL! Just know that there are many women who were HER2+ and end up in the arms of strength and health! I want to encourage you that your story has been written just for YOU! It is uniquely yours! I remember when I got diagnosed I would often compare myself to those that weren't doing so well. I did this all the time. I was SO afraid and terrified when I'd hear of a loss in our community. I would internalize it. Then God's wisdom whispered in my ear and said your journey is for YOU and YOU alone. Ladies you are gonna be FINE!!

I'd like to share with you that in 2012 I was chosen by Under Armour to be one of the 3 athletic survivorfaces of their Power In Pink Line. I had to send in pics and write my story. A part of my story goes as follows "I remember the doctor telling me that I would have to jump through hoops to get well, and I thought, well, show me the hoops! Now when I look back at all that I have been through on this journey I just smile, shake my head and say wow I never knew I could jump so high!"

Be encouraged and know that God's got you girls! I love you my sweet sisters! Chin up and celebrate life! We ARE ALIVE!!

Sorry for the long post!😳

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited September 2017
    Options

Traceyz-  I love you post!  Thank-you so much, this is what I needed to hear right now. This I will come back to read often, it is an answer to a prayer,  I have been scared and driving myself crazy. 

• Saadia1
    Saadia1 Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2017
    Options

Tracyz

Pls don't apologize for the long post. It was exactly what I needed to hear. !

I hope I can join you the ranks of the long survivors. Still have major panic attacks and yeah I do tend to compare myself to worst case scenarios so hearing your and other long term survivors gives me hope.

Love

Saadia

• tara17
    edited September 2017
    Options

Tracy -- thank you for this wonderful post! So encouraging -you are a beautiful person--beaitgul inside and out !Thank you so much!

I have question--it sounds like you are very athletic . Do you have implants under the muscle ? My doctor has told me that exercises that activate the pectoral muscles are out of question for ever. I think he is very conservative. I just wanted to ask you whether you have limited yoru activity and exercise in any way due to the implants ?

Thanks so much !

Love and hugs to you

Tara