Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HER2 Positive-anyone 10 years out?

Options

Comments

• traceyz
    traceyz Member Posts: 98
    edited September 2017
    Options

Saadia1 and Mistyeyes!

Such SWEET words from both of you! I'm so happy to know that my story and how we are connected has encouraged and helped in some way! Mistyeyes I use to drive myself NUTS with fear until I realized that my story is MY story uniquely written just for ME! So take that with you and know that it's true! Hugs to you both. You ladies are AMAZING and BADASS!! LOL

Tara!

THANK YOU!! Sweet compliments!! I feel blessed and I appreciate your words! As for the implants yes my implants are under the muscle. For the first few years if I tried to do push ups my pecs would be so tight and uncomfortable! So I stopped doing any chest workouts. Now I do 100 push ups every other day and I'm fine. I would not work chest muscles for a while. Actually until you can work your chest without it being tight. You can ALWAYS work surrounding muscle groups like shoulders, back, and arms! Thats what I did and I then hadno problems with tightnes. Listen to your body and your doctor but also don't ever cheat yourself out of a good workout! You will figure out what you can and shouldn't do. Your chest muscle WILL left you know! LOL

Thank you again ladies for the love and sweet words. If you/we ever need words of support it's good to know we have each other! We just get it!😘😘😘

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,462
    edited October 2017
    Options

Great posts traceyz !!!

Since I have bilateral lymphedema, I was told not to do any of the Nautilus exercises any more.  I am limited to lift no more than 15 pounds per arm forever.  I had 37 nodes removed from the left side, and 18 from the right.  But good for you to be able to do so much!!!!

tuckertwo...I am a 15 year survivor of Stage 4 BC with original metasis to my liver.  Gemzar with Herceptin cleared my liver in 9 months.  I was in remission with Herceptin only for 6 years.

I had a recurrence 6 years ago to 3 lymph nodes in my chest, and am now on Kadcyla, which is a super-Herceptin.  I did have another remission with Kadcyla 2 years ago and took a 9 month break and went back on Herceptin only.

But the cancer did recur, so it will be Kadcyla forever for me as long a the nodes don't get too big.

• Kattis894
    Kattis894 Member Posts: 150
    edited October 2017
    Options

I am following this thread for sure and beyond happy to read your posts. I am only on year 2...

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm ten years out this Saturday from being diagnosed with Stage 1 HER+ breast cancer. I was treated post-lumpectomy with 12 infusions of Taxol and Herceptin, followed by 33 or 35 (can't remember) radiation treatments, then for the remainder of the year with Herceptin every three weeks. I have CIPN that makes walking a challenge and was treated in 2015 for a rare form of Hodgkins lymphoma (unrelated to the BC), but otherwise I feel fine and realize with every passing day how precious this life is.

• lkc
    lkc Member Posts: 180
    edited May 2018
    Options

13 years now, livin large every day!

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited May 2018
    Options

This board gives me so much hope when I read it. It actually gives me a boost and I feel lighter and I want to take better care of me. Please keep sharing your story it helps so much. I am 1 year.

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2018
    Options

I posted back in May but had my annual mammogram yesterday. For some reason this is the first time in ten years that I'd gone an entire year before follow up. The results were benign. I can't tell you how wonderful it was to hear the tech say, "Have a good year" when she handed me the report.

These follow up mammograms, while never a walk in the park, get easier and easier. There is light at the end of this tunnel! Wishing you all good health and happiness.

• threeteens
    threeteens Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2018
    Options

I just read your post. I am happy to say that I am 9 1/2 years cancer free from triple positive breast cancer. Lets keep adding to these numbers!

• Gudrun
    Gudrun Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thank you threeteens and everybody for coming here. It means so much to us.

• D54
    D54 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thanks for sharing with us. Continue to shine bright!ThumbsUp

• CCNC
    CCNC Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thank you for the updates. It is so encouraging to see people posting 10 years out.

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611
    edited August 2018
    Options

I'm 13 years out since the second cancer was a new primary and HER -

• Livlife
    Livlife Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thank you so much for the inspiration ladies, I need this. On my 2/6 chemo on Tuesday and I love reading this post. So much to be thankful for. 💕 Wishing us all the best of health

• traceyz
    traceyz Member Posts: 98
    edited August 2018
    Options

You are going to do GREAT!! I am 10 and 1/2 years out! Going strong! THANK GOD!! We are ALL PROOF that HER 2+ can be conquered! Keep your chin up, rest, eat well, exercise if you feel up to it. Most importantly pamper yourself! YOU GOT THIS GIRL!!! Imagine you are driving and looking in your rear view mirror, as you continue to drive everyday takes you closer to the end of treatment and the things in you’re rear view mirror get further away! “This too shall pass” sis! BELIEVE! Herceptin leveled the playing field for all of us and it will do the same for you! Praying for you. I just know you are gonna be fine

• Lindar2323
    Lindar2323 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2018
    Options

I too have Her2+ and was diagnosed in January 2018. I received Taxol chemo , 20 treatments of radiation and 1 year of Herceptin.

Is there anyone who has bee diagnosed more recently? (after 2009)

• AliceAgnes
    AliceAgnes Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2018
    Options

I was diagnosed in March 2017 and spent the next year in treatments--first chemo, then mastectomy, then radiation. I am on anastrozole now and will be for at least five years. I had stage II and only a partial response to chemo. There was still some tumor left when I had surgery. They also did a node removal and found tumors in a couple of nodes. For the next five years I will see each of my cancer center doctors once a year for a check-up--breast surgeon, radiation doctor (radiation oncologist) and chemo doctor (medical oncologist). My appointments are spaced out so that I see a different doctor every few months. I'm glad they're all nice people! I love my cancer doctors.

• Strong65
    Strong65 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2018
    Options

I am almost 4 years out from being Stage 4 from the start, had 1 positive node and 5 bone meets. Started out on Herceptin, perjeta, letrezol, now no longer doing the Perjeta. There is hope 😀

• Saadia1
    Saadia1 Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2019
    Options

I was diagnosed May 2017. Triple Positive. A mastectomy, Taxol chemo and 1 year of Herceptin.

2 years. I am still here. God is kind.

Saadia

• Sassa
    Sassa Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2019
    Options

I was diagnosed in November 2006.

Alive and kicking and my plans for this afternoon include booking excusions for a European cruise this summer.

• denny123
    edited May 2019
    Options

Wow!  This is an old post!  17+ years Stage 4 MBC de novo, on chemo for life and currently NED on Xeloda and Herceptin.

• LauraU541
    LauraU541 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi there! I didn't feel good about 8/9 yrs after my first diagnosis and journey of HER2+ in 2006. But nothing found on mammogram until 2/2018. Biopsy showed it was HER2+ again. Recurred in same Breast!! 😳. First time had lumpectomy, chemo, radiation and 12 mos of Herceptin. Here I am again. 12 yrs older 56. This time, single mastectomy (wanted both done however 😓) Chemo and Herceptin. I've got 2 more tx left. I'm sick and tired of it. I have had a TON of side effects this time. Thinking age related? There's not much info out there. I wonder how you're doing. :). Sister hugs, Laura

• LauraU541
    LauraU541 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2019
    Options

Hi Yes, on my 2nd time around with her2+. Had single side mastectomy, taxol, Herceptin. I’m struggling mentally & emotionally and am ashamed to admit it. I need to focus on recovery and all the blessings. It’s just draining. I pray you are ok!! Lsur

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    edited May 2019
    Options

Welcome, LauraU541! We're so sorry you find yourself going through all of this again, but we're glad you've joined us here, and hope you find the support you need as you finish up your treatment! We totally understand how draining it can be, doing this all again for the second time after 12 years. There's no shame in admitting that it's been hard, mentally and emotionally, and everyone here understands where you're coming from Hug

The Mods

• denny123
    edited May 2019
    Options

Laura-hang in there!  I am 70 and have been on chemo for 17 years.  Glad that you only have 2 tx left.!!  Celebrate.  I will be on chemo the rest of my life....sigh.

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 545
    edited August 2019
    Options

Denni, your story is amazing. Who knows re chemo till the end of life - there are advances in treatment all the time and something may change in you as well.

I had 13 years between my primary and my metastatic diagnosis. Not great of course but 13 years not to be sniffed at. I lived normal life.

• denny123
    edited August 2019
    Options

Anotherone...thanks! I just had another CT scan and am still NED. I have been on Herceptin and Xeloda now for 19 months and they are keeping me stable.

• Tivva2
    Tivva2 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Options

How are you feeling now? I am 9 years out since the diagnosis of Her2+ and having had a lumpectomy, nodes removed, chemo, radiation and herceptin for 1 year. Had basically put the thought of this well behind me until I got a call back this week after my annual screening. I go back in for another mammogram and ultrasound in a few days. The concern is the other breast this time. I am now in my 60s and like yourself, wonder if my age will play a role in how I feel. Hopefully, there is no cancer but my gut is telling me otherwise. Sorry for the long rant. Hope you are doing well, sister. It sure helps to be able to spill the angst to an empathetic group

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited August 2019
    Options

Tivva2 -I will be thinking of you and hopefully the tests will come with goo results.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,010
    edited August 2019
    Options

Tivva2, welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're sorry you're here, but really happy you found us! Please, let us know how it all goes. We'll be crossing fingers for benign results!

The Mods

• lizzyanne
    lizzyanne Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi all. I am just about 10 years out. I have been consistent in taking hormonal therapy for the E+ but otherwise just struggle with the neuropathy which is a constant reminder of "Cancer - the gift that keeps on giving..."